✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Riots on the Streets of UK

Black Rose

^ But we're talking about areas where many people are on benefits so they'd be better off if they didn't live with their partner, no?

I think it's more a matter of rebellious youth, feeling like they're on the outside, perhaps placing great value on what they see going on elsewhere in the world, and acting out as a result of a feeling that the government is working against the working class and simply for the elites. At least that's what I sense might be it, or provides them an excuse to try the things they are doing. The moods and modes of thought at the moment appear unclear.

So they attack places that cater to those who are a bit better off, or take revenge on certain establishments for reasons unknown. Just speculating, something's fueling all this - What is?

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think it's more a matter of rebellious youth, feeling like they're on the outside, perhaps placing great value on what they see going on elsewhere in the world, and acting out as a result of a feeling that the government is working against the working class and simply for the elites. At least that's what I sense might be it, or provides them an excuse to try the things they are doing. The moods and modes of thought at the moment appear unclear.

So they attack places that cater to those who are a bit better off, or take revenge on certain establishments for reasons unknown. Just speculating, something's fueling all this - What is?

Yeah I wasn't suggesting that it's the reason for the riots.

I'm sure many of them don't feel represented by the government and they wanna show they're discontent. They don't seem to be attacking symbolic places though, they're mostly looting random shops and destroying their own neighbourhoods.

Yeah I wasn't suggesting that it's the reason for the riots.

I'm sure many of them don't feel represented by the government and they wanna show they're discontent. They don't seem to be attacking symbolic places though, they're mostly looting random shops and destroying their own neighbourhoods.

Oh o.k. Kind of a combination of protest and looting, which is usually the case here. Yeah, unfortunate for the shopkeepers in those places, they're not to blame really, how sad.

Remembering stories I've heard.. Back when Greg was a Beat Poet in Chicago, I remembering him saying something about the city - they used to open the matinees up and show non-stop cartoons for the youth, otherwise they'd all get bored and start thinking of ways to get into trouble... So why did they close the clubs? Saving money??

Ah, I remember the kids here when I was young... the apple dumpling gang. Bored kids on bikes, no parents around, with ideas.. and whatever popped into their heads, sometimes it wasn't the right thing to do! Generally less trouble to get into here though... generally that is. Kids need places to hang out, fun activities to do! That's just a shame they closed the youth clubs, and many knew what would result. Interesting yes.

Just listening to it, towards the end.." Need jobs, got no money, looking to take something from someone else because they don't have it.." - yes, clearly there's the economic problem as well. Jobs are needed, they want work, somehow there ought to be a means to offer some work for pay in slow times.

edit: Violence has spread to Camden now. Imagine if they crashed the Coldplay studios there?!

I know, I thought about that too when I heard and I have no idea how I'm gonna get to work tomorrow.

Must be absolutely devastating for those people who have been affected, it's absolutely disgusting seeing people doing this just because they can.

I have just seen the news from Danish TV2 News and then also read the latest on text-Tv from TV2 News:

A man has been SHOT!! I read more about it on text-TV citing Sky News: A 26-year-old man was shot last night in Croydon in South London when he was sitting in his car. Today he died at the hospital from his wounds & injuries.

Really awful.

There was a clip with the British PM saying that he condemned all violence and he expressed sympathy with all those affected including with the shop owners who might have lost their livelihood.

6,,000 policemen were in the streets of London last night. Tonight there will be 16,000 in the streets.

Fine I thought, but policemen are also needed elsewhere as well as I understand that riots have spread to BIRMINGHAM, BRISTOL, MANCHESTER and LIVERPOOL.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14460554

9 August 2011 Last updated at 12:35 GMT

Parliament recalled to tackle riots - David Cameron

Parliament is being recalled on Thursday in response to rioting in England, the prime minister has said.

The government's emergency committee Cobra met on Tuesday after rioting spread across London, with violence flaring in other major cities.

"We will do everything necessary to restore order to Britain's streets and make them safe for the law-abiding," David Cameron said in Downing Street.

More than 16,000 officers will be on London streets on Wednesday, he said."

and

"Meanwhile, Scotland Yard said a 26-year-old man found shot in a car in Croydon, amid rioting in the town, had died in hospital.

Mr Cameron met officers in the Met Police's Gold command in Lambeth on Tuesday afternoon.

He condemned the "sickening scenes of people looting, vandalising, thieving, robbing", which the Met Police said had resulted in 525 arrests and more than 100 people being charged.

He told rioters: "You will feel the full force of the law. And if you are old enough to commit these crimes, you are old enough to face the punishment."

The recall of Parliament will allow MPs to "stand together in condemnation of these crimes and to stand together in determination to rebuild these communities", he said."

"Birmingham, Liverpool, Nottingham and Bristol are among the other cities where violence broke out."

Read more using the link above.

Guest howyousawtheworld

Anyone seen Sky News and the footage of a bloody and bruised innocent man confroted by the youths who proceed to steal from his ruck sack while he is dazed and helpless? Awful footage.

Also England's match against the Netherlands at Wembley has been cancelled. England v India in the cricket to start tomorrow in Birmingham is still on.

Anyone seen Sky News and the footage of a bloody and bruised innocent man confroted by the youths who proceed to steal from his ruck sack while he is dazed and helpless? Awful footage.

That poor kid is Malaysian, he's my collegemate's best friend. That poor kid thought he was being helped by those guys but instead he got robbed. What a heartless robbery.

Also England's match against the Netherlands at Wembley has been cancelled. England v India in the cricket to start tomorrow in Birmingham is still on.

I've seen it, it must have been terrifying.

My friend told me that they tried to break into several houses where her mum lives.

I haven't left the house all day, it said on the BBC website that the main road by mine should be avoided and they've looted some shops there apparently.

I really hope the Liverpool game will be cancelled if the situation doesn't get any better.

Remembering stories I've heard.. Back when Greg was a Beat Poet in Chicago, I remembering him saying something about the city - they used to open the matinees up and show non-stop cartoons for the youth, otherwise they'd all get bored and start thinking of ways to get into trouble... So why did they close the clubs? Saving money??

Ah, I remember the kids here when I was young... the apple dumpling gang. Bored kids on bikes, no parents around, with ideas.. and whatever popped into their heads, sometimes it wasn't the right thing to do! Generally less trouble to get into here though... generally that is. Kids need places to hang out, fun activities to do! That's just a shame they closed the youth clubs, and many knew what would result. Interesting yes.

Just listening to it, towards the end.." Need jobs, got no money, looking to take something from someone else because they don't have it.." - yes, clearly there's the economic problem as well. Jobs are needed, they want work, somehow there ought to be a means to offer some work for pay in slow times.

They do. The job situation is very difficult around here, I've been looking for full-time work all summer and I haven't anything and I've got a degree and quite a lot work experience. I don't wanna know what like if you leave school with no qualifications...

Still I can't believe this is actually happening. Many of them are very young (like 10, 12 year old) and they're destroying their own neighbourhoods.

There was violence in Manchester and Salford for the first time just a couple of hours ago. All the shopping centres are now closed early. I fear they will return later to smash them up :dozey:

Is all this happening very close to where you are living? And what about your brother - does he live in Manchester too?

Please take care, all of you.

It wouldn't happen in my area because thugs here are afraid of being shot.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7x7W-K0eMw0]‪'London needs army to crush thugs - call back Afghan troops'‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Time for the government to really crack down! Show em who's boss!

I wonder how much all this is costing taxpayers? They could probably have cut a check to each of the rioters on the condition they stayed home at night, and I'm sure many of them would have taken that deal.

Hope you see my point though. I work in retail and I'm on late sometime this week and I'm proper scared that someone's gonna try and loot our shop because we're short-staffed in the evening. Also been advised not to leave the house because my area isn't safe. It really annoys me when people when people make stupid jokes about it.

By the way I don't think it would improve the situation if shop owners were allowed to have guns. It would probably only cause more violence on both sides.