✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Riots on the Streets of UK

Black Rose

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oh dear - please don't tell me people are listening to idiots like him! He's not MLK!

Poor disadvantaged black people are living in Africa, going through droughts. They don't live in Tottenham or Peckham! And they don't own Blackberries!

If you don't want to be stopped maybe appeal to the rest of your community to stop nicking so much stuff or carrying weapons.

Don't blame the police. They have to deal with scum (criminals of every race and colour) every day of the week.

>I understand what you're saying, and yes, these youths don't have it so bad, but from another perspective, when anyone who has dark skin pigmentation feels they are being scapegoated based on what someone else has done, it can lead to resentment and gangs of resentful youths. I know what the police have to deal with, a friend of mine is a retired police officer who lives with a severe spinal injury from trying to control the rioters during the riots in Milwaukee in the 60's. Better to remedy the causes before things get like this.

> To see all sides of an issue is a good thing. I think what resulted is an excuse by many to go on a looting and breaking spree, but remedying the underlying problems definitely will reduce the odds of riots, and removing both the idleness and lack of opportunity makes it less likely to happen. And not to see this as an "us and them" issue helps, for there is only we human beings in this world, with cultural and subtle nuances in our phenotype. Here's an article from BET.com, worth considering what Cord Jefferson is saying:

The Racial Roots of the London Riots

In some ways, what’s happening in London looks a lot like what happened in the Rodney King riots.

By Cord Jefferson

Posted: 08/09/2011 06:39 PM EDT

Filed Under crime, racism

newsitemimage.newsimage.dimg

For three days and nights now, London has been rocked by rioting and looting. On Saturday, police shot and killed Mark Duggan, a 29-year-old Black father of four. Duggan had been carrying a “blank-firing” gun rigged to shoot live rounds, but eyewitnesses and ballistic reports say that Duggan didn’t fire on police before they killed him. Duggan’s unjustified shooting has been enough to set off the worst London riots in 25 years.

If you’re thinking this sounds a lot like Los Angeles’ Rodney King riots—a major city run amok after police clash with a young Black man—you’re right. In fact, similar to the King riots, there’s a lot of racial tension at the root of what’s currently going on in London, racial tension the British government will have to reckon with when the rioters are finally dispersed and the fires put out.

The area where the riots started is called Tottenham, and for years it’s had one of the densest populations of Afro-Caribbean people in London. Later, African immigrants streamed in as well. Tottenham has the highest unemployment rate in London, and the 8th highest in all of the U.K. All that joblessness leads to a lot of poverty and a lot of angry, idle young people. In other words, it’s the perfect scenario for a riot to start.

Beyond that, relations between Tottenham’s population and the British police have been icy for years. In 1985, a police home raid resulted in a woman dropping dead from cardiac problems. Rioters went nuts for days in what is now called the “Broadwater Farm riot,” even going so far as to stab a police officer to death as he tried to protect firemen.

Thus far, only one person has died in this latest round of London riots (more than 50 had died when the dust settled on the King riots). One would hope that his death, and that of Duggan, won’t be in vain. The poverty-fed rage of the rioters needs to be addressed before this kind of misplaced aggression and thuggery happens again.

Guest howyousawtheworld

Three killed protecting property during Birmingham riots

Surprised this hasn't been reported yet.

Three men have been run over and killed as they protected property in a second night of violence in Birmingham.

_54530268_winsongreenmen304x171.jpg

Haroon Jahan, Shahzad Ali and Abdul Musavir were protecting property, residents say

The men aged 31, 30 and 21 were hit by a car in Winson Green. They were taken to City Hospital where about 200 people from the Asian community gathered. Witnesses said the men were in a group protecting their community after riot police were called into the city.Police have arrested a 32-year-old man who is being questioned on suspicion of murder following the deaths.

Haroon Jahan, 21, Shahzad Ali, 30, and Abdul Musavir, 31, were taken to hospital but died from their injuries.

West Midlands Police Chief Constable Chris Sims said the incident happened when a group of males had been gathered close to a petrol station in Dudley Road.

"At some point, and in circumstances that as yet I can't fully explain, a vehicle has been driven into that group of males, which tragically has led to three of those men losing their lives," he said.All three were from the Asian Muslim community, he said.

Referring to the arrest he said: "He has been arrested for murder because the information that we have at the moment would support the idea the car was deliberately driven." Prime Minister David Cameron called it a "truly dreadful incident" and offered his condolences to the men's families.

Tariq Jahan, whose son Haroon Jahan was killed, said he was nearby when it happened. "My instinct was to help the three people, I did not know who they were but they had been injured.

"I was helping the first man and someone from behind told me my son was behind me.

So I started CPR on my own son, my face was covered in blood, my hands were covered in blood. Why, why?"

He said his son, who was a mechanic, had been trying to protect the community as incidents were taking place elsewhere in the area. He said a petrol station along the road had been attacked.

"He was a very good lad, a good man starting at the beginning of his life and had his whole life ahead of him," he said.

"I've got no words to describe why he was taken and why this has happened and what's happening to the whole of England.

"It makes no sense why people are behaving in this way and taking the lives of three innocent people."

Witnesses to the incident said the three victims - two of them brothers - were part of a group protecting shops from looting.

Kabir Khan Isakhel said: "People came out of prayers [at a local mosque] and they were protecting the area.

"They were standing on the side of the road and the car just came and ran them over."

Mohammed Shakiel, 34, a carpenter, said the men "lost their lives for other people".

"They weren't standing outside a mosque, a temple, a synagogue or a church - they were standing outside shops where everybody goes.

"They were protecting the community as a whole."

West Midlands Police said: "Three men have died following a road collision in the Winson Green area of Birmingham which detectives are treating as murder.

"Three men were taken to hospital where two later died from their injuries. A third man was in a critical condition but confirmed dead at around 6.30am.

"West Midlands Police have launched a murder inquiry, arrested one man in connection with the incident and recovered a vehicle nearby which will be examined by forensics experts."

Mr Sims said he wanted to ensure the incident did not lead to a wider level of mistrust or violence.

"At these difficult times, people across all our communities must trust the police to protect them," he said.

A community meeting has been held in Winson Green with police and Ladywood MP Shabana Mahmood attending.

Residents called for police to protect them and Ms Mahmood said it was important people did not take matters into their own hands.

Speaking after the meeting, she said the families of the young men were "absolutely devastated".

"There have been a number of meetings with local community members and there will be more later on," she said.

"We must not allow anyone to panic - we should give the community some space to grieve."

She also said the police should be given space to carry out their inquiries and appealed for calm. Derrick Campbell, of Race Equality Sandwell, appealed to people not to take the law into their own hands.

"The police are here to take charge and are doing their job," he said.

"I would appeal to all to please remain calm - we must cease the violence and please do not turn this into something that it is not.

"This is an accident, by the sounds of it - we certainly haven't got any more information more than that but we must remain calm and wait for the investigation to be concluded."

The Bishop of Aston, Andrew Watson, said he had attended a meeting with local MP Shabana Mahmood and 40 Muslim men from the community.

"There was a mix of voices," he said.

"Some were saying we mustn't rise up but there was some talk of reprisals. The community is in shock.

"The meeting helped, it was good the MP responded so quickly and we could talk to the community."

Officers have appealed for witnesses or anyone with information to come forward.

There was looting in Birmingham city centre, Wolverhampton and West Bromwich on Tuesday night.

Police said there were 163 arrests on Tuesday evening and Wednesday morning up to 03:00 BST. That brings the total number of arrests in the West Midlands to about 300 since the disorder began. Police have been investigating reports that shots had been fired in the Aston area of Birmingham.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-birmingham-14471405

Overwhelming force by sheer numbers of police won't stop these riots.

Only time will, the rioters will get tired of it. Until they decide to do it again.

They need jobs, and they can't get it in an economy where bankers in the City of London are making 500 million pounds a year pressing buttons on a keyboard trading stocks.

Guest howyousawtheworld
‪Manchester Riot Police Serve Up Some Cold, Hard Justice [HD]‬‏ - YouTube[/url]

I enjoyed that very much.

I enjoyed that very much.

Myes, Pay your taxes, cattle! Stop embarrassing the queen!

Wonder how much those cops are being paid for overtime.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_hk-UuoFjU]‪True News: The Real Source of the British Riots‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

Some interesting statistics here.

h07qdvqj

Update for anyone who doesn't know.

Factory in Tottenham been set alight about an hour ago. Fire service arrived, as far as I know that situation is now sorted.

Manchester seems pretty peaceful thank God, police EVERYwhere but presence is good.

Liverpool and Birmingham also seem to be quiet from what I've been told by people living in the areas.

Weather is pretty shocking here in Manchester though, which has probably acted as a deterrent.

h07qdvqj

Update for anyone who doesn't know.

Factory in Tottenham been set alight about an hour ago. Fire service arrived, as far as I know that situation is now sorted.

Manchester seems pretty peaceful thank God, police EVERYwhere but presence is good.

Liverpool and Birmingham also seem to be quiet from what I've been told by people living in the areas.

Weather is pretty shocking here in Manchester though, which has probably acted as a deterrent.

Thanks for the update. What do you mean when writing: Weather is pretty shocking here in Manchester.

Is it stormy weather / torrential rain / thunder and lightning?

Taxpayers will foot the £200m bill for riot damage as businesses invoke 19th century law

Taxpayers will be forced to pay a riot damage bill that could reach £200million, it has emerged.

The little known 1886 Riot Damages Act allows insurance companies, individuals and businesses to reclaim their losses from local police authorities.

The massive bill is a disaster for the police and the public finances at a time of cut-backs across government.

The notion that the final bill could land at the door of taxpayers will infuriate the innocent families and businesses caught up in the mayhem.

Police forces, which are already cutting thousands of posts across the country, could have to make even deeper cuts to foot the compensation bill.

Matthew Sinclair, director of the Taxpayers’ Alliance, said: ‘The disgusting behaviour of the rioters is doing enough harm already.

‘It is extremely worrying if they are lining up a bill for hundreds of millions of pounds that law abiding taxpayers will have to pick up as well.

‘While no one will want to leave small businesses facing ruin, that means we need to do all we can to ensure the rioters pay as much of the cost as possible and insurers pay their fair share.

‘There are enough pressures on hard working families already.’

Last night, the Association of British Insurers(ABI) made clear that its members would use the 1886 Act to make the maximum possible claims against the police.

The ABI suggested that this figure for insurance companies and their customers is likely to be ‘well over’ £100 million.

Separately, families and businesses which have no insurance will also be able to make a claim for any losses against the police. This could well be another £100million.

The ABI met the Home Secretary, Theresa May, yesterday to spell out that they intend to reclaim money they pay to customers from the public purse.

In theory, insurance firms and individuals would normally have 14 days under the Riot Damages Act to lodge a claim with the police authority.

However, the ABI has petitioned the Home Secretary to extend this deadline to 42 days.

A spokesman said: ‘When a riot happens police compensation schemes are activated to cover organisations and individuals against losses that they could not possibly have predicted.’

There have been some suggestions this regime is only triggered if the government or the police themselves officially declare a riot.

That was rejected by the ABI, which said: ‘Neither the Home Secretary nor the police need to designate the events as a ‘riot’ for police compensation schemes to be activated.

‘The law sets out a range of criteria for this, for example the number of people causing a disturbance.’

The legal definition of a riot is ‘12 or more people threatening violence for a common purpose, causing people to fear for their safety’.

The right to compensation applies to ‘any house, shop or building which has been damaged, or had its contents damaged, by any persons riotously or tumultuously assembled together’.

In the case of a business, compensation would cover damage to the building and stock, rather than any loss of trading.

The ABI said it is not reasonable to expect riot victims and insurance companies to make a claim against the police within the normal 14 day deadline.

It said: ‘We have written to the Home Secretary today to ask her to use her authority to instruct the police to issue a direction stating that the compensation claim notification period under section 2 of the Regulations under the Riot (Damages) Act 1886, as to claims for compensation be extended for all claimants from 14 days to 42 days to enable individuals and UK businesses to properly assess and submit their compensation claims for riot-related losses and damage.’

Retail chiefs have been alarmed at the failure of the police to protect their staff and buildings.

Staff have been terrorised, while hundreds of shops have been wrecked, looted or set on fire in recent days.

The Association of Convenience Stores(ACS), which speaks for independent outlets, last night urged members to make claims against the police, either directly or through their insurers.

City lawyers confirmed that the police and taxpayer face a huge bill to compensate victims of the riots.

Stuart White, of Reynolds Porter Chamberlain LLP (RPC), suggested there will be an outcry that the burden will fall on the shoulders of ordinary families.

‘Given the scale of these riots and the current pressure on police budgeting there will doubtless be calls to reform a law that compels police forces to compensate businesses and individuals for riot damage,’ he said.

The British Retail Consortium, which speaks for the major chains such as Tesco, Currys, JD Sports and Tesco, demanded severe punishments for those involved.

It said the police and fire services must – in future - have enough manpower and equipment, while they should be authorised to use ‘robust tactics’.

It said there should be immediate support to help shopkeepers protect their properties. This comes amid evidence that police left some high streets unprotected for some hours.

The organisation said there should be early talks on how to help affected communities to recover. This includes putting pressure on banks to provide credit and loans to ensure retailers can re-fit their shops and re-open.

BRC director general, Stephen Robertson, said: ‘The shocking levels of lawlessness breaking out across the UK are hitting the heart of our communities.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2024410/Taxpayers-foot-200m-riot-damage-businesses-invoke-19th-century-law.html#ixzz1UfFL9900

Fair bit to say about this.

We need to be careful we don’t sleep walk ourselves into a police state, and let ourselves be supporting groups such as the EDL and BNP of which out of these uprising has seemed to have got some positive press out of this.

Cut backs, have been a major impact on this, there is no Youth Service In Manchester now, so the kids do not have any other option expect to play in the streets, to stay at home for a fair number of them is not an option, the youth service though its workers, mentor, outreach programmers fileted a significant number of kids of the streets, but it’s not there now.

When the government took power in 2010 they should have asked, the people if, they want cut backs or paying higher taxes to keep services.

In addition to this all of you asking for the army/ water cannons whatever to get rid of these uprisings ask yourself this, a few months ago the very same people that were saying this were having a go at the leaders of Libya, Egypt ETC condemning them for fighting the people, whom in most circumstances are doing the exact same thing what has taken place over the past few days. Which makes most of you hypocrites.

It makes me cry almost, I am mixed raced, and now my Auntie is support the EDL without even realising groups like that want me dead as a consquence of some of the press coverage on this.

Taxpayers will foot the £200m bill for riot damage as businesses invoke 19th century law

Ohh the government always as a cop-out for its' bosom buddies.

It's a good day to be an insurer!

EDIT:

Good post, Bart!

People should be asking themselves: why do we need austerity? Where is our tax money going?

Interest payments and wars!

Oh boy, yea. What to say about all this. I just hope people calm down, enough damage done, and it doesn't win anyone over, all this rioting. In fact, like you say Bart, it's turning some to the extreme, further polarizing citizens.

But yes, some of these young people haven't much to go home to, and need somewhere else to be, that I understand. Budget cuts don't make sense in slow economic times anyhow, that just exacerbates things and prolongs a recession.

Maybe they'll open up the youth clubs and offer a place for so many in need? Probably a good thing if the bakery gave away free bread, might keep them on the good side of the mob. Hey, don't laugh, Raymond's mom gave away cookies to the street kids, and it saved her son from being beat up by the gangs in the projects! Sometimes, a little kindness is remembered - alienation and isolation definitely won't.