✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Riots on the Streets of UK

Black Rose

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to read that last night was calmer. But at a point it couldn't get worse.

I am glad if things have calmed down.

I feel deep sympathy with all the victims - many have experienced direct assaults / threats / looting and / or fear. And in a broader sense all English are victims as they have to pay the bill. And many have been very scared.

Cut backs, have been a major impact on this, there is no Youth Service In Manchester now, so the kids do not have any other option expect to play in the streets, to stay at home for a fair number of them is not an option, the youth service though its workers, mentor, outreach programmers fileted a significant number of kids of the streets, but it’s not there now.
That may be the case but how do you explain that out of the 110+ people arrested in Manchester in the last 48 hours, less than 10 were of juvenile age? This is not just about youth and keeping them off the streets, this is about the 20, 30, 40+ somethings who aren't taking responsibility for their actions, hiding behind a gang culture where power is in numbers. They're the ones who are a bad influence on the youth that you're talking about. Doesn't matter what age you are, cutbacks in community services is no excuse for this mindless violence and looting.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-14485592

11 August 2011 Last updated at 10:33 GMT

David Cameron to outline further riot measures

David Cameron is expected to outline further measures to deal with recent disorder in England when MPs are recalled for an emergency debate.

A huge police operation and heavy rain in some areas appear to have prevented a fifth night of disorder.

And magistrates in several cities have been working through the night to deal with those arrested on previous nights.

In Birmingham, a vigil has been held for three men who died after being hit by a car while protecting property.

From this article:

The prime minister has chaired a meeting of the government's emergency committee Cobra to discuss the violence with cabinet ministers and he will later make a statement on the rioting during an emergency session of Parliament.

He is expected to give details of financial help for people who have lost homes or businesses.

Meanwhile, Keith Vaz, chairman of the Commons Home Affairs Select Committee, has told the BBC its members have voted unanimously to hold an inquiry into the causes of the riots.

It will also look at the role of social networking, the police response and police resources.

In other developments:

More than 90,000 people have signed an online petition calling for anyone convicted of taking part in the riots to lose any benefits they receive

Up to 250 officers were sent from Scotland to help police in the Midlands and North of England deal with rioting and disorder

The Met says 16,000 officers will be available in London for the next 24 hours and this will be reviewed on Friday

Police in London say they have more than 100 arrest warrants to work through "in the coming hours and days"

The government launches a website with advice to the public on how to cope with the unrest

Saturday's Premier League match between Tottenham and Everton at White Hart Lane has been postponed

Meanwhile, the Met Police have made a total of 888 arrests and charged 371 people in connection with violence, disorder and looting in the capital since Saturday night.

More than 330 people have been arrested in the West Midlands and a further 140 people have been arrested so far over the trouble in Manchester and Salford.

Mr Cameron said anyone convicted of violent disorder would be sent to prison.

Met Acting Commissioner Tim Godwin paid tribute to his officers after the meeting.

"We faced unprecedented violence and damage and criminality and looting, and they were so brave," he said. "Any suggestion the officers stood back is wrong."

"Police cuts

A deputation of Labour MPs from London went to the Home Office on Wednesday to demand a "moratorium" on plans to reduce numbers in the Metropolitan Police.

Labour shadow home secretary Yvette Cooper said: "It is staggering and utterly shameful if it has taken these appalling events for ministers to start waking up to what everyone else has known all along," she said.

"Cutting 16,000 officers - the equivalent of every officer on the streets of London last night - at a time like this is deeply irresponsible."

But Deputy Prime Minister Nick Clegg said it was "simply ridiculous" to link the disorder to government policies or police cuts which had not been implemented yet.

He said the government believed the cuts were "entirely manageable - and will allow the police in the future, just as they have today, to deploy large numbers into areas where that is needed".

London's Conservative mayor Boris Johnson is standing by his call for a rethink on police funding but senior government sources say the Treasury will not reopen negotiations on the spending review.

Home Secretary Theresa May has repeated her belief that police budgets can be reduced without damaging their ability to do their jobs.

A candle-lit vigil has been held for Haroon Jahan, 21, Shahzad Ali, 30, and Abdul Musavir, 31, who died when they were hit by a car in Birmingham on Tuesday night.

Police have been given more time to question a 32-year-old man on suspicion of murder.

Mr Cameron said the deaths were "truly dreadful" and offered his condolences to the men's families.

The riots first flared on Saturday after a peaceful protest in Tottenham over the fatal shooting of Mark Duggan, 29, by police.

Little kids kept disappearing after meeting him from here...
You know, jokes don't translate well in written form.

It's not easy to see that you're joking either.

And this one isn't even that funny!

Yes, he got banned because he received his 5th warning for not respecting the Forum Guidelines.

Ian!

I love that video you posted! I know it, I've seen it before but I can't remember where... help me! :bigcry:

That may be the case but how do you explain that out of the 110+ people arrested in Manchester in the last 48 hours, less than 10 were of juvenile age? This is not just about youth and keeping them off the streets, this is about the 20, 30, 40+ somethings who aren't taking responsibility for their actions, hiding behind a gang culture where power is in numbers. They're the ones who are a bad influence on the youth that you're talking about. Doesn't matter what age you are, cutbacks in community services is no excuse for this mindless violence and looting.

> Hm, good to know that Ian. Yes, gang culture is definitely not good, too many bad avenues for people involved.. So the matter isn't protests for rights, it's rioting, and having allowed a gang culture to develop, if that is the case, is a real problem. But then what about joblessness? I know there's no excuse for this sort of behavior, especially when the targets of the violence are not those responsible for the economic dysfunction, it's all so senseless. I'm sure many just used this as an excuse to loot anything anywhere they felt like, also doing nothing but harm towards their real needs in life. But there again, if someone feels like they're always on the outside looking in, it's all that much easier to get mixed up in gangs, easier to find identification with those dispossessed, and easier to justify in their minds these sorts of actions. Some may even want to feel dissed just to act the way they do, and may want to feel discriminated against to feel a bond with other gang members. I know that sounds absurd, but it can be a sort of rallying point.

> What then must be done to change the situation?

I'm really disheartened and shocked to see all the businesses being burnt, the cars overturned and torched, my heart goes out to everyone who is suffering and frightened by these events. Seeing all that is like living in a nightmare I'm sure; I just hope it stays calm, and things get better. Hugs to all who have suffered through the nightmare :hug:.

I just saw the news on Danish TV2 News: They showed a clip where British TV talked to the Malaysian student (Rudy's college-mate's best friend - post 85 in this thread) who was attacked - when helped up, someone stole a wallet from his rucksack. He had been in hospital (the speaker said: "with a broken jaw"), but the Malaysian student could get out of the hospital today. It was said that he was on his way to a female friend to stay with her as she was afraid. But on the way he was attacked.

PM Cameron talked about limiting access to social networking to prevent planning and coordination of (new) riots. The measure is understandable, BUT it is a bit funny to think of events earlier this year as Western media criticized Egypt for doing that. I remember US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton criticizing Egypt for cutting off access to the Internet to prevent the protesters from planning and coordinating events.

I just saw the news on Danish TV2 News: They showed a clip where British TV talked to the Malaysian student (Rudy's college-mate's best friend - post 85 in this thread) who was attacked - when helped up, someone stole a wallet from his rucksack. He had been in hospital (the speaker said: "with a broken jaw"), but the Malaysian student could get out of the hospital today. It was said that he was on his way to a female friend to stay with her as she was afraid. But on the way he was attacked.

PM Cameron talked about limiting access to social networking to prevent planning and coordination of (new) riots. The measure is understandable, BUT it is a bit funny to think of events earlier this year as Western media criticized Egypt for doing that. I remember US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton criticizing Egypt for cutting off access to the Internet to prevent the protesters from planning and coordinating events.

> I saw some footage then on Al Jazeera English just a few minutes ago Nancy. That poor young man, face all bloodied, and the assailants seemed to be helping him, while one of them steals from his backpack. Just rotten of them to do all that, and I really hope he's getting all the help he needs, that poor fellow's got a broken jaw now - ouch. All he wanted to do was comfort a friend, how tragic. I just hope he heals up well, isn't in too much pain.

> Limiting freedom isn't any answer - I agree, this whole mess has deeper roots in a culture of street gangs, what is Cameron thinking, that somehow they can just shut off riots that easily? Rioters find ways around all sorts of obstacles. And as Franklin said I think correctly, "Those who would trade essential Liberty for temporary Security deserve neither." So once a police state is in place, then what if the government gets really bad and uses that power to intercept messages to damper down communications, as we saw in Egypt? Hm.. double standard.

_54559679_012633337-1.jpg

Salford precinct was targeted by looters on Tuesday

Salford looting: Boy handed in to police by mother

A 15-year-old boy who was pictured trying to prise open shutters of a shop in Salford has been arrested after his mother handed him in to police.

The boy was filmed at Salford Shopping City as it was being looted in riots on Tuesday evening. Police said his mother took him to the local police station and he is being questioned on suspicion of burglary.

Thirty-one more people were arrested and charged overnight after disorder in Manchester and Salford. Greater Manchester Police have so far made 176 arrests in connection with the riots and more than 70 people had already gone through the courts.

Assistant Chief Constable Garry Shewan said: "The parent saw the picture of her son and was absolutely appalled, horrified and angry. What she did is extremely admirable and I thank her for handing him into local officers as it must have been a hard thing to do. I would urge members of the community who were left angered by the events of Tuesday night and believe they know of those involved to contact police as soon as possible. I would like to remind anyone caught and arrested will be dealt with robustly and will be brought to justice."

Police confirmed there were no incidents of disorder in Manchester or Salford on Thursday night. Thirteen of those most recently charged are teenagers, the youngest being a 14-year-old girl charged for burglary and a 14-year-old boy for going equipped.

Police have also been given more time to question an 18-year-old man arrested on suspicion of arson following a fire at the Miss Selfridge store on Market Street.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-14501790

_54544723_x149-11bowes-1.jpg

Ealing riot: Richard Mannington Bowes dies after attack

A 68-year-old man who was critically injured while he tried to stamp out a fire during riots in west London has died, Scotland Yard has said.

Richard Mannington Bowes suffered head injuries in an attack in Ealing on Monday night and was left in a coma. A 22-year-old man has been arrested in connection with his death.

Police say four other deaths - a man found shot in a car in Croydon and three men hit by a car in Birmingham - may be linked to the recent disorder.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14500869

_54555400_jex_1134952_de27-1.jpg

London riots: Man held over Asyraf Haziq Barking mugging

A man has been arrested over an attack on a Malaysian student who was mugged by apparent Good Samaritans after rioters attacked him in east London.

Police said the suspect, believed to be in his 20s, was being held on suspicion of robbery in connection with the incident in Barking on Monday night. The attack on Asyraf Haziq, 20, made headlines after it appeared on YouTube.

Mr Haziq had been on his bicycle on his way to a friend's house when he was targeted by rioters. A short while later, footage showed Mr Haziq sitting on the floor bleeding when he was approached by a group of youths.

They were seen seeming to help him before rifling through his rucksack, stealing his wallet and mobile phone. The student, from Kuala Lumpur, has been allowed home from hospital after undergoing surgery on his jaw, which was broken in the attack.

Speaking at a press conference after the operation, Mr Haziq said he had no ill-feeling about what had happened and wanted to stay in Britain to complete his studies. He said: "My family are worried about me and my mother would like me to go home. But I am determined to stay. Britain is great. Before I came here I was very eager and I haven't got any ill-feeling about what happened. I feel very sorry for the people who did this. It was really sad because among them were children."

He also thanked those who had set up a website to raise money for him. A message on the "Let's Do Something Nice For Asyraf Haziq" site said just less than £4,000 had been donated by Wednesday night.

On Wednesday, footage of the student recalling his ordeal from his hospital bed was posted online by a friend. In it, he said his attackers "threatened to stab me, they told me they had knives".

He added: "Some of them were quite young, maybe still in primary school. They had their hoods on and demanded my bicycle."

Mr Haziq said two girls and a woman who lived nearby had helped him following the incident. Prime Minister David Cameron said the attack had left him "disgusted".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14497763

limiting access to social networking [/color] to prevent planning and coordination of (new) riots. The measure is understandable, BUT it is a bit funny to think of events earlier this year as Western media criticized Egypt for doing that. I remember US Secretary of State Hillary Clinton criticizing Egypt for cutting off access to the Internet to prevent the protesters from planning and coordinating events.

Oh dear oh dear, please to be finding a link on this? I do not liek it at all.

Hmmm, its so sad to see all of this happening over something that isnt really worth it. All I see on tv is people saying that they are doing this purely because they hate the Police. I truly do not understand this, they are just doing their job, they don't want you to get in trouble but you do it yourself? It's so pointless, if sites such as Twitter are shut down, they are being truely selfish and making things even worse for the poor innocent people who are trying to stay out of it! It's so selfish of these people, I cannot see their actually point in doing this, can they just please grow up? I just hope that everyone stays safe, it's not worth the lives lost. :(