✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Riots on the Streets of UK

Black Rose

• Replies 219
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest howyousawtheworld

Well the guy in the blazer could only be one person. Tim-nice-but-dim!

david-cameron-my-chums.jpg

the phrase "expedite matters" comes to mind. How about using fire trucks to hose down the demonstrators, if it has come to that? Or reopening the youth clubs, so they're not all just hanging around waiting for something exciting to do?

For sure but that isn't a solution. Sitting a naughty child in front of his favourite tv programme may keep him out of trouble for that time but iut doesn't stop him from being naughty all the time. The whole youth club argument I think is a bit of a cop out by government in that they are still not dealing with the wider deep rooted social problems.

The whole youth club argument I think is a bit of a cop out by government in that they are still not dealing with the wider deep rooted social problems.

Absolutely. It's bread and circuses.

As long as unemployment is high in the West, we'll continue to see these problems. A culture of responsibility and self-respect does not grow out of a nanny state.

But for the life of me I don't understand how the Brits got suckered out of being able to own guns for self defense.

For sure but that isn't a solution. Sitting a naughty child in front of his favourite tv programme may keep him out of trouble for that time but iut doesn't stop him from being naughty all the time. The whole youth club argument I think is a bit of a cop out by government in that they are still not dealing with the wider deep rooted social problems.

It might be a good idea on the long run but we need a short term solution. I think I'm generally very understanding when it comes to social issues but the rioters are taking it too far. Judging by what happens in my area, they're a serious threat to the local community. They attacked a fire officer's car while setting cars on fire in a residential area ffs. I'm afraid the police will have to use more extreme measures to stop them and we generally need more police presence up North and in the Midlands.

Absolutely. It's bread and circuses.

As long as unemployment is high in the West, we'll continue to see these problems. A culture of responsibility and self-respect does not grow out of a nanny state.

But for the life of me I don't understand how the Brits got suckered out of being able to own guns for self defense.

I know that it works fine in some counties. Every adult Swiss man who is in the army (which is probably two thirds of all Swiss men) owns a gun and Switzerland has very little gun crime. My granddad had a gun because he was in the army and I always knew where it was but I never touched it. However, the UK has a lot more gun crime despite the fact that guns are illegal and I think these riots would be even more dangerous if most households owned a gun.

> Well, sometimes families can be worse than anyone can imagine, since I know here of some who didn't just lack parenting skills, they lacked adult thinking parents, and so the kids wound up stealing safes, running from the law, doing whatever they could wherever they could get away with it - made Bevis and Butthead look tame.

> But when the kids were sent off the to local youth camp for troubled youth, they came back acting really nice and all better, at least until the same scenarios and same associates and same routines took hold again...

> But with London, a city of some 7.8 million citizens, if only a small, small fraction of the youth are borderline, and then have idle time, I can imagine this results. That, and don't cut back on police either - there's no savings when the potential exists for riots, that's for sure!

Guest howyousawtheworld
It might be a good idea on the long run but we need a short term solution. I think I'm generally very understanding when it comes to social issues but the rioters are taking it too far. Judging by what happens in my area, they're a serious threat to the local community. They attacked a fire officer's car while setting cars on fire in a residential area ffs. I'm afraid the police will have to use more extreme measures to stop them and we generally need more police presence up North and in the Midlands.

Was that in Liverpool? I heard that there were attacks on fire engines there.

Was that in Liverpool? I heard that there were attacks on fire engines there.

Yeah I read that too, it happened close to where I live as well. It was absolute madness, it's only just gone quiet now.

They even destroyed parts of the cemetery on Smithdown Road apparently, what a sad day for Liverpool. :(

That's quite insane - attacking fire engines? :shocked2:

There are those who just get into dangerous gangs, and then it seems whatever the thought is isn't good. Part of it though unfortunately is when some have too much time on their hands, instead of heading in a positive direction, they go the other way. But poverty still has a lot to do with it, lack of opportunity and a repeat of past ways. No more cycles of recycled revenge. It looks like the thieves just don't care, they just act like it's no big deal to waltz in and take whatever they like - as though there's no sense of fairness or anything in their minds. So what I'm wondering, do the rioters create mayhem to distract people's attention, so they can then break glass and loot shops? It's like a greed grab or something - are many of them on drugs?

Update on events from http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14460554

Some main points from this article:

10 August 2011 Last updated at 07:30 GMT

UK riots: Trouble erupts in English cities

Sporadic violence has broken out in several cities around England, although London stayed largely quiet overnight.

There was unrest in cities including Manchester, Salford, Liverpool, Nottingham and Birmingham with shops being looted and set alight.

Three men died when they were hit by a car in Birmingham - locals claimed they were protecting their neighbourhood.

Greater Manchester Police's Assistant Chief Constable said officers had faced "extraordinary levels of violence".

ACC Garry Shewan said his force had faced "groups of criminals intent on committing widespread disorder".

Some 108 people have been arrested so far over the trouble in Manchester and Salford, where hundreds of youths clashed with the police as they looted shops and set fire to cars and buildings.

In the West Midlands, 109 have been arrested and 23 charged following following scenes of disorder in Birmingham, Wolverhampton and West Bromwich - where vehicles were set on fire.

Meanwhile, West Midlands Police have started a murder inquiry after the deaths of the three pedestrians hit by a car.

In Birmingham, riot police surrounded the Mailbox, the city's upmarket shopping centre, following the disturbances seen in the area on Monday night. "

" The Independent Police Complaints Commission (IPCC) said on Tuesday that ballistic tests presented "no evidence" that a handgun found at the scene where Mr Duggan was killed had been fired at officers ".

"Some 111 Met officers suffered injuries including serious head and eye wounds, cuts and fractured bones after being attacked by rioters wielding bottles, planks, bricks and even driving cars at them. Five police dogs have also been hurt.

David Cameron will chair a meeting of the Cabinet's emergency committee Cobra for the second day running at 09:00 BST.

The recall of Parliament on Thursday will allow MPs to "stand together in condemnation of these crimes and to stand together in determination to rebuild these communities", he said. "

"Deputy Assistant Commissioner Stephen Kavanagh said the use of plastic bullets - never before fired to deal with riots in England - would be "considered carefully" in the event of further disorder.

But he added: "That does not mean we are scared of using any tactic."

Acting Commissioner Tim Godwin had earlier ruled out calling in the Army.

Officers believe some rioters have used BlackBerry Messenger - a service allowing users to send free real-time messages - to organise violence.

The Association of British Insurers says the damage is likely to cost insurers "tens of millions of pounds".

Read more: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-14460554

Guest howyousawtheworld

Just saw the Prime Minister's statement outside Downing Street. He's been a bit of a useless pansy lately but thank goodness he admitted that there was a severe social problem that needed to be addressed. The likes of the Brownite Labour lot would just be in denial over this problem.

After listening to Darkus Howe on Democracynow!, if what he says is true, the riots have more to do with a sense by young black men of being targeted by police, the results of institutional racism within the police department, and poverty.

Poverty, unemployment, and a value system that pumps up expectations for the goods in shops which many young men cannot afford to get, but the pressure to have those things to fit in & attract girls is great. Great expectations, no means, and while rioting is not the answer, I can see how some might be frustrated and tempted by this as well.

But the other problem is a sense of alienation, of not being treated respectfully or kindly by police and by those in positions of authority, regardless of your actions. So, when you're on the outside looking in, and feel like you're somehow always looked upon with suspicion, the resentment builds, tensions build. After seeing a little bit of how some attitudes exist within police departments towards poor people, and the degrading actions that can occur without warrant, I myself wonder if there needs to be more community outreach and a coming to terms with this attitude issue - not that the looting or rioting was in any way shape or form the answer, but a lot of people who are forced to the side and feel like their opinions don't count, that they don't count, well it's little wonder that to get heard or vent frustrations, this happens.

Darkus said that he knew, from what his son was telling him, that there was a sense that the lid was going to blow. He also said that he thought if Amy Winehouse were alive today, she would be looking down from heaven saying "no, no, no.."

Gosh. Why are they doing this? :wtf:

I can't really understand why create so much havoc. And I don't see the point of it. It's almost as if it's done out of sheer fun.

That poor kid is Malaysian, he's my collegemate's best friend. That poor kid thought he was being helped by those guys but instead he got robbed. What a heartless robbery.

I saw it on the news earlier. Fuck. And to think Bersih 2.0 was huge over here.

Hope all our Brits are faring well in this madness

Don't worry the 62million plus of us behaving like normal people are doing just fine :)

This is not an uprising of any kind, just a bunch of worthless losers who have NO support whatsoever.

There are millions of 10-20 year old kids in the UK currently enjoying their school summer holidays and behaving like normal people.

After listening to Darkus Howe on Democracynow!, if what he says is true, the riots have more to do with a sense by young black men of being targeted by police, the results of institutional racism within the police department, and poverty.

Poverty, unemployment, and a value system that pumps up expectations for the goods in shops which many young men cannot afford to get, but the pressure to have those things to fit in & attract girls is great. Great expectations, no means, and while rioting is not the answer, I can see how some might be frustrated and tempted by this as well.

But the other problem is a sense of alienation, of not being treated respectfully or kindly by police and by those in positions of authority, regardless of your actions. So, when you're on the outside looking in, and feel like you're somehow always looked upon with suspicion, the resentment builds, tensions build. After seeing a little bit of how some attitudes exist within police departments towards poor people, and the degrading actions that can occur without warrant, I myself wonder if there needs to be more community outreach and a coming to terms with this attitude issue - not that the looting or rioting was in any way shape or form the answer, but a lot of people who are forced to the side and feel like their opinions don't count, that they don't count, well it's little wonder that to get heard or vent frustrations, this happens.

Darkus said that he knew, from what his son was telling him, that there was a sense that the lid was going to blow. He also said that he thought if Amy Winehouse were alive today, she would be looking down from heaven saying "no, no, no.."

Oh dear - please don't tell me people are listening to idiots like him! He's not MLK!

Poor disadvantaged black people are living in Africa, going through droughts. They don't live in Tottenham or Peckham! And they don't own Blackberries!

If you don't want to be stopped maybe appeal to the rest of your community to stop nicking so much stuff or carrying weapons.

Don't blame the police. They have to deal with scum (criminals of every race and colour) every day of the week.

Guest howyousawtheworld
Oh dear - please don't tell me people are listening to idiots like him! He's not MLK!

Poor disadvantaged black people are living in Africa, going through droughts. They don't live in Tottenham or Peckham! And they don't own Blackberries!

If you don't want to be stopped maybe appeal to the rest of your community to stop nicking so much stuff or carrying weapons.

Don't blame the police. They have to deal with scum (criminals of every race and colour) every day of the week.

Fully agree. There was institutionalised racism within the authorities in the UK some 30 years ago but that is not the case any more. The work done to change the way the police behave has changed radically particularly since Blair's New Labour came into power in 97. This is not the police's fault at all. If it was then 1 million facebook users would not have joined a facebook page supporting the police absolutely.