✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Up In Flames the new Clocks?

Skin&Bones

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Actually the song you're thinking of was the scientist. The band had written all the other songs, and what came last was the scientist. The "missing piece" for arobtth. I know this because ive made it my business to know everything about that song as its my favorite.

In that sense it does sound like the band consider it a missing piece, but who can say what that means about its potential popularity.

Could you tell us some more about the song that we may not know :P

Interesting speculation. I don´t think the title is as epic as Clocks, but never judge a book by its cover , right? Chris said they are all pretty fired up and maybe last moments´creations like UIF might actually turn out to be the best ones. I don´t really feel this will be a new Clocks, but good reasoning

agreed.

Indeed :wink3: I can't wait to hear it. Awesome basslines are the one thing that Coldplay is a bit lax in. Poor Guy. :disappointed:

God Put A Smile Upon Your Face has a fantastic bassline. It's one of the best I've heard. But yeah most of them aren't great, most of the time Guy is just playing the root note for whatever chord is being played by the rest of the band.

I'm worried that 'bass-heavy' just means that the bass is louder than usual rather than having a great bassline.

Up In Flames was written in the spur of a moment situation just a matter of weeks ago, and now the album is being finalized. Clocks was also one of these spur of the moment songs, and it ended up being arguable their best hit (behind Viva of course).

Would you say Up In Flames could be this song? Chris Martin and Co. seem to be pretty excited about it in particular, and obviously Phil does too!

Even though we haven't heard it, what would you think?

You're joking right?

Clocks >>>>>>>>>>>>>> VLV

You're joking right?

Wait, are you saying Clocks [is bigger than] Viva?? You must be kidding.

If you are somehow expressing (badly) that Clocks is better than Viva,

that is a question of opinion.

But you'd still be wrong

You're joking right?

I think what Skin&Bones meant was that Viva has sold more copies and is known by more people than Clocks (after all, Viva was the biggest song in the world in 2008/09 while Clocks, although huge, didn't come close to selling that many copies)

But in terms of the 'better' song (lyric wise, etc.) then yes, I would agree with you :P

Was Strawberry Swing a last-minute song? :thinking:

I remember reading somewhere that it was writen early in process and scrapped. Than in the ending they added the afro drums and thought: "Hey now this is great, the best song we have". Something like that...

I think what Skin&Bones meant was that Viva has sold more copies and is known by more people than Clocks (after all, Viva was the biggest song in the world in 2008/09 while Clocks, although huge, didn't come close to selling that many copies)

But in terms of the 'better' song (lyric wise, etc.) then yes, I would agree with you :P

The lyrics for clocks just don't make sense for me, Viva, in my in my humble opinion, has they're best lyrics.

+1

For me Yellow put Coldplay on a map, Clocks made people take them seriously and VLV took their career to the next level.

But IMO Clocks is a better song than VLV. Still VLV is one of my favorite song and most played on my Ipod. So I don't dislike it.

VLV sold more copies than Clocks because when Clocks was released people bought albums not just singles. And the promotion that VLV got (remember those Itunes commercials on tv every 5min??) was 100 times than Clocks.

• 2 weeks later...

This was posted today by Roadie #42:

Up In Flames feels the same to me right now [as "Fix You" did]. It’s immense. I first heard it when the guys were sound-checking at the iTunes show. Apparently, Chris had started the song the previous night, so it was less than 24 hours old at that point. It was hypnotic in its simplicity, but devastatingly, achingly gorgeous. The final version has lost none of this and is a masterwork of restraint. It hasn’t been crammed with a million ideas and embellishments. Every part is there simply to enhance the emotional impact. I can only predict floods of tears in every quarter.

So... I kind of really want to hear this song now. (: Maybe not the next "Clocks"... but, instead, the next "Fix You?"

^ Actually, that was us just getting a bit off-topic :rolleyes:

We were originally basing it on the fact that both Up In Flames and Clocks were written at the last minute and rush-recorded to make their respective albums (of course, this is assuming UIF will make the cut, but from what we've heard, I'd say that's a safe bet to make ;) )