✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Jay–Z and Kanye West break Coldplay's record for most iTunes downloads

MrMagpie

Jay-Z and Kanye West's collaborative album 'Watch The Throne' has broken the record set by Coldplay for the most iTunes downloads of an album in its first week of release.

The album, which was released last Monday (August 8), has been downloaded over 290,000 times, which passes the record set by the British stadium band for their fourth album 'Viva La Vida Or Death And All His Friends'. That album was downloaded 282,000 times in its first week on sale.

'Watch The Throne' is expected to have sold over 500,000 when its first formal US sales figures are released.

Despite this record-breaking start, the album failed to knock Amy Winehouse's 'Back To Black' off the top of the UK albums chart on Sunday (August 14).

'Watch The Throne' charted at a respectable Number Three, behind Winehouse's second album and the continuing success story that is Adele's '21'.

http://www.nme.com/news/kanye-west/58667/photo/37

Alright MX, let's see if you can regain Coldplay's crown.

Kanye West & Jay Z are two of the biggest names in modern Hip-Hop/Mainstream music in general, and they have been for a long time. Coldplay are a band who just aren't relevant anymore. Sorry to break it to you, but unless they produce another huge song like VLV, they aint gonna break that record!

Kanye West & Jay Z are two of the biggest names in modern Hip-Hop/Mainstream music in general, and they have been for a long time. Coldplay are a band who just aren't relevant anymore. Sorry to break it to you, but unless they produce another huge song like VLV, they aint gonna break that record!

What? They had a big hit only two months ago and all of their albums have sold about 10million+ copies so far. How are they not relevant anymore? Maybe the fact they haven't made an album since VLV could be the reason why they haven't had an album as big as it since?

WTF?

Why don't we wait until the new record comes out to see how relevant they still are or aren't. Which, imo, is a ludicrous claim to make in the first place. VLV wasn't that long ago. Going #1 in 36 countries doesn't sound like a band that's washed up to me.

The only thing irrelevant here is your post I say.

Watch The Throne (great album by the way) was exclusively sold on Itunes for 4 days before hitting the other stores. VLV was sold everywhere and still managed to sell that much.

WTT first week sales: 426000 copies

VLV first week sales: 720000 copies

I'm sure Coldplay is not unhappy about this because they are such good friends with Jay and Ye.

I also think that MX will sell around 500000 copies as well but I doubt it will break the new record. Of course, all will depend on how HUGE Paradise will be.

Dear Jay and Kanye,

Just wait until Mylo Xyloto is released.

Sincerely,

Coldplaying

I don't think all of Coldplaying agrees with your 'dear Jay and Kanye"

I don't think they will break it.

And lol at people not being able to handle Eddie's criticism and retorting with childish responses.

Kanye West & Jay Z are two of the biggest names in modern Hip-Hop/Mainstream music in general, and they have been for a long time.
agreed

Coldplay are a band who just aren't relevant anymore.
respectfully disagree

Sorry to break it to you, but unless they produce another huge song like VLV, they aint gonna break that record!
agreed

And lol at people not being able to handle Eddie's criticism and retorting with childish responses.
yip

^ Failed comeback, it's perfectly on-topic.

I meant irrelevant because that user has been referring to Coldplay as being irrelevant which I can say you know is not true. I should've marked the part of his post I was referring to.

Lol at the guy trying to be a smart ass

What? They had a big hit only two months ago and all of their albums have sold about 10million+ copies so far. How are they not relevant anymore? Maybe the fact they haven't made an album since VLV could be the reason why they haven't had an album as big as it since?

Big hit? what hit? it did quite horrible :dozey: