✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Is the money and fame getting to Chris Martin's songwriting abilities??

para-para-parrotdies

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 282
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I guess it is. But I like when he does that, for some reason. It makes me happy.

To some degree, I agree with you. For example, I don't really mind when Chris/Rihanna sings "la-la-lala" over and over again because I think it fits with the music.

However, I think it's worrying that the band appears overly reliant on repetitions of "ohohhh" and other variations in their new songs.

Princess of China: "You stole my star la, lalala la laaaaaaaaaaa" + "Oooooooh-oh oh oooooooh oh oh oh ohhhhhhhhh"

:thumbsup:

Everything's not lost: Come onnnnnnnnnnnnn yeah

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ohhhhhhhhhhhhhyeah

comeeeeeeee on nnnnnnnnnn yeah

everything's not lost

Sing out yeahhhhhhhh,

ohhhhhhhh ohhhhhhhhhh yeah

singggggggggggg out yeah

everything's not lost.

Clocks: Youuuuuuuuuuuuuu

arrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeee

Youuuuuuuuuuuuu arrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeee

Shiver: Don't you shivvvvvvverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

shivvvvvvvvvvvverrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sparks: laLa, la, la, la, oh…

Laaaa, la, la, la, oh…

Laaaa, la, la, la, oh…

Laaaa, la, la, la, oh…

--

Anyone can play this nonsense you're doing. Taking lyrics out of the context of the song and posting them on a forum whilst claiming someone you don't even know has sold out and has let "fame go to his head" isn't a really smart thing to do.

I've said it before and I'll say it a thousand times again, the lyrics on MX are no worse than any other album. You're cherry picking.

I think you're just pissed off because Chris doesn't write lyrics like he used to. You're annoyed because his lyrics aren't about angst or lost love. Well so what? This is a concept album. It's about rebellion, optimism and soul. It would sound pretty fucking stupid if the most sexy man in rock and roll who is married to an oscar winning goddess started singing the simple, boring angst filled stuff he sang about in Parachutes.

If he did that, everyone on here would be bitching about it sounding contrived and fake (which it would). So he can't really win with you people.

I don't think you haters are fully grasping the concept of the concept album. A political song like Politik would make no sense here. As would a song from Parachutes. Chris is writing music that makes sense within this album. And to be honest, everything we have heard does make perfect sense within the story line and theme of the album.

I think the problem you have is that you don't like the theme of the album.

I think it would be far easier for me to write some slow, simple love song like Sparks than it would be for me to write the lyrics (and music for that matter) in HLH, UATW or Charlie Brown.

And on the note of those three songs, especially HLH and UATW - they're quite easily some of the best lyrics Chris has ever written. Funny how you only ever gloss over that though, and you prefer to copy and paste lyrics like "la, la, la" out of context.

Absolutely everything I have read about Chris and the other boys are that they are incredibly shy and down to earth people. Chris finishes every sentence with a sincere attack on his own music. He is incredibly private and is a soft person. He acts like a normal person and never puts himself above his fans.

Then you, someone who knows absolutely nothing about him makes a thread where you accuse him of having sold his soul to hollywood.

The evidence doesn't add up buddy.

I can't disagree with you more about this. I think you are completely and totally wrong.

Everything's not lost: Come onnnnnnnnnnnnn yeah

ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ohhhhhhhhhhhhhyeah

comeeeeeeee on nnnnnnnnnn yeah

everything's not lost

Sing out yeahhhhhhhh,

ohhhhhhhh ohhhhhhhhhh yeah

singggggggggggg out yeah

everything's not lost.

Clocks: Youuuuuuuuuuuuuu

arrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeeeee

Youuuuuuuuuuuuu arrrrrrrreeeeeeeeeeee

Shiver: Don't you shivvvvvvverrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

shivvvvvvvvvvvverrrrrrrrrrrrrr

Sparks: laLa, la, la, la, oh…

Laaaa, la, la, la, oh…

Laaaa, la, la, la, oh…

Laaaa, la, la, la, oh…

--

Anyone can play this nonsense you're doing. Taking lyrics out of the context of the song and posting them on a forum whilst claiming someone you don't even know has sold out and has let "fame go to his head" isn't a really smart thing to do.

I've said it before and I'll say it a thousand times again, the lyrics on MX are no worse than any other album. You're cherry picking.

I think you're just pissed off because Chris doesn't write lyrics like he used to. You're annoyed because his lyrics aren't about angst or lost love. Well so what? This is a concept album. It's about rebellion, optimism and soul. It would sound pretty fucking stupid if the most sexy man in rock and roll who is married to an oscar winning goddess started singing the simple, boring angst filled stuff he sang about in Parachutes.

If he did that, everyone on here would be bitching about it sounding contrived and fake (which it would). So he can't really win with you people.

I don't think you haters are fully grasping the concept of the concept album. A political song like Politik would make no sense here. As would a song from Parachutes. Chris is writing music that makes sense within this album. And to be honest, everything we have heard does make perfect sense within the story line and theme of the album.

I think it would be far easier for me to write some slow, simple love song like Sparks than it would be for me to write the lyrics (and music for that matter) in HLH, UATW or Charlie Brown.

And on the note of those three songs, especially HLH and UATW - they're quite easily some of the best lyrics Chris has ever written. Funny how you only ever gloss over that though, and you prefer to copy and paste lyrics like "la, la, la" out of context.

Absolutely everything I have read about Chris and the other boys are that they are incredibly shy and down to earth people. Chris finishes every sentence with a sincere attack on his own music. He is incredibly private and is a soft person. He acts like a normal person and never puts himself above his fans.

Then you, someone who knows absolutely nothing about him makes a thread where you accuse him of having sold his soul to hollywood.

I can't disagree with you more about this. I think you are completely and totally wrong.

I think that YOU are completely and totally wrong.

I think that YOU are completely and totally wrong.

Intelligent post there. Loved the way you actually typed something that required a brain cell. :P

Can someone who has actually met Chris come in here and back me up? I think saying this stuff is incredibly disrespectful, especially about someone they've never met.

First off, let me say that I appreciate you taking your time to write out a thoughtful response. It's always nice to have a conversation even if people have different viewpoints.

However, you seem to be making generalizations about me making statements that I've never made. For example, I have never said that Chris Martin "sold his soul"- instead, I've wondered if perhaps they don't have the same motivation as they used to. (In fact, it's something the band has acknowledged in recent interviews, the difficulty in finding creative inspiration.)

Nor do I ever say I'm pissed off about the lyrics of recent songs or that I only want "slow, simple love songs like Sparks." You also make the claim that I gloss over songs like HLH + UATW. Again, not true - I actually address those two very songs earlier in this thread, how I enjoy UATW and dislike HLH.

My problem is you make it seem like I'm the only one who holds this view, that I'm intentionally trying to provoke a reaction. But just look at some of the responses from other posters in this thread - a significant number of posters also share my view that the lyrics have taken a downturn.

First off, let me say that I appreciate you taking your time to write out a thoughtful response. It's always nice to have a conversation even if people have different viewpoints.

However, you seem to be making generalizations about me making statements that I've never made. For example, I have never said that Chris Martin "sold his soul"- instead, I've wondered if perhaps they don't have the same motivation as they used to. (In fact, it's something the band has acknowledged in recent interviews, the difficulty in finding creative inspiration.)

Nor do I ever say I'm pissed off about the lyrics of recent songs or that I only want "slow, simple love songs like Sparks." You also make the claim that I gloss over songs like HLH + UATW. Again, not true - I actually address those two very songs earlier in this thread, how I enjoy UATW and dislike HLH.

My problem is you make it seem like I'm the only one who holds this view, that I'm intentionally trying to provoke a reaction. But just look at some of the responses from other posters in this thread - a significant number of posters also share my view that the lyrics have taken a downturn.

No probs man.

Yeah, but the problem is you can't back it up with anything concrete. It's all based on a feeling you have. You guys are citing examples of bad lyrics, but I can quite easily cite them from previous albums. Especially when I pick them up out of context, like you guys are doing.

MX's lyrics are no worse than any other album.

The main thing I'm annoyed at is how disrespectful this thread is. You can't say this stuff about a person you don't know - especially when everyone who meets him say the exact opposite. Chris Martin is probably the last person on Earth who would let fame go to his head.

I agree with you in regards to the singles. ETIAW, Paradise and PoC are seriously lacking in emotive lyrics we come to expect from Chris.

But I truly think that Moving to Mars and Up Against the World are some of his best lyrical work.

You can't say this stuff about a person you don't know - especially when everyone who meets him say the exact opposite. Chris Martin is probably the last person on Earth who would let fame go to his head.

I don't want to be putting words in your mouth so I want something clarified before I make a longer post: do you think we're trying to say Chris Martin has become big-headed or conceited in some way because he's now rich + famous?

Because if that's the case, that's not what we mean by the fame going to his head.

I like to think Chris decided that he doesn't want Coldplay to be seen as 'the Chris Martin show' anymore. A lot of people think the band revolves around him, which is sometimes true. That has partly to do with his personality, it's his nature to take the spotlight even though he doesn't always want to.

So maybe he thought, 'I'm not gonna write as much lyrics and use my voice more like an actual instrument'. Because that's what's going on, there's less (different) lyrcis, more repetition and more ooh's. He took a step back, he wants the band to stand out more, I think.

That, or he is less inspired.

He has not gotten lazy, he loves his job far too much. I know he has put everything into it.

A great artist it's by definition an unhappy person, somebody who has such intense unaccomplished desires that he needs to proyects them into art if he has the capability and sensibility to do it.

Why Thom Yorke it's still an artist and Chris Martin it is not anymore?

Because Yorke's discontent is part of his nature. When he reached the glory he became even more "crazy", so he was able to get better with every record. Yorke may be a millionaire with his live solved, but in his heart there always be a "spark" that tries to reach to something else than empty success.

When Martin was young he was a nerd, he was frustated because he wanted to have sex with beautiful women. So he used his talent to express his anguish and inner feelings into his songs. But now we know that Martin is a superficial person. Now that he's sexy, rich and idolazed his life is accomplished. Mylo Xyloto is not a work of art beacause his author aim is not to express his desires in the only way he knows. His target is to throw a new hit, to do something cool (or so it thinks) like his friends Jay-Z and other millionaires does.

Notes:

1.I'm personazing Radiohead and Coldplay too much into their frontmans, but I think you'll get the point.

2. I don't like Thom Yorke's latest artistic efforts (but they are certainly "artistic")

The difference between Radiohead and Coldplay mainly now besides sound is that Radiohead releases the music that they seem to enjoy and want to write and record without really caring too much what people will think. Of course they care... but they're already established so much and can now make all the weird experimental music they want since they don't have to prove themselves.

Coldplay are also established. However they've taken a different route where it seems that fame and money and popularity is more important than releasing the music they want. You even have the quote from Chris Martin saying how he has to compete w/ Beiber and Adele... some of the most popular artists today. What does it matter? Make the music that is true to you, and forget what other people think.

Dude read their articles. This IS the album that THEY wanted to make. This is what they like listening to. The boys have changed. They aren't so sulky anymore and their music shows it.

yeah... okay.

What about what Chris Martin said...

"Now we have Justin Bieber and Adele to compete with and they’re a lot younger. We have to have the energy to put as much effort into our work as they do. If it’s over, it’s over and I can live with that. The most important thing always is to proceed as if every album is the last and not expect anything more."

...if it's not about money, success or popularity then why even compete with two of the most current popular artists?

I love this album so much. To me they sound like much more of a 'band' rather than it being Chris Martin and the boys. Chris always says how he doesn't want to feel like he is excluding the other members which is his reasoning for never doing a solo interview or solo appearances when playing CP songs. I don't think the fame and money is getting to them, it's just that they are changing their style and changing how they want the public to see them.

I didn't multi-quote properly! My comment is to the person who said their live performances are bad...

I totally disagree! Saw them live in Toronto, not 4 feet in front of me was Chris singing beautifully. How he sings and plays piano with his sweat soaking the keyboard, I will never understand. I thought the inital promo tour for VLV was terrible (Live at the BBC)...their live show now is polished and a pleasure to listen to.

...if it's not about money, success or popularity then why even compete with two of the most current popular artists?

Reading some of the responses, I think people incorrectly think that I'm wanting another "sulky" album (whatever that means) or that I'm saying Coldplay "sold out" (again, whatever that means). No, this is a question of whether Chris Martin doesn't have the same motivation as he used to because of his success.

I've also listened to Mylo Xyloto a number of times and sadly, their lyrics again aren't very good (with some exceptions).