✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

UIF WORLD DEBUT - watch the video

prospekt#42

I don't know why, but part of the song reminded me of this song: [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k59GT0eMl-E]I can go the distance - Hercules - YouTube[/ame] haha!

A few things

1. I could BARELY make out anything Jonny was playing... The video may be terrible quality, but i don't see how this is something utterly tear-inducing...yet. Hoping to find a better video in the next few days.

2. The moment Chris continuously repeated "Up in Flames," I cringed. Too much repetition, on this entire album. Its absolutely no where near Clocks and Fix You. Not a chance. Lyrics made those songs amazing, and they each had a hefty amount of material in them. :\

3. It feels short haha. If there was a point where they exploded (a la Fix You) in my opinion it would be freaking amazing.

But its still decent. It has a lot of potential. I'm looking forward to the studio version of this. I love the organic, stripped down sound. Piano heavy, me gusta. And there's nothing wrong with throwing strings behind this. I've absolutely loved the strings I've heard from this era! It might be what I have the most confidence in for MX. :)

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just to get it straight...for my own curiosity. Everyone who is praising Up In Flames because it´s slow and only feature few organic instruments. Would you all like an album exclusively made up of songs like this?

who is praising up in flames because it's a slow tune ? :inquisitive:

Wow... just wow... mediocre at best. Painstakingly predictable.

Hear the first chord and you know exactly where it's headed. I swear I could sing the chorus half-way through the first verse. And then over, and over, and over... and over again.

It doesn't matter if the sound is stripped down or not, the song needs to be good first. And this, sadly, is not. Sure, production plays a great part, but if you threw a hip-hop beat in the middle part of "Moving To Mars" (when the guitar kicks in) it'd sound good anyway, though maybe not THAT good.

Yep, this IS Coldplay. At their saccharine-coated worst, but you can at least recognize them. Cold comfort, may I say.

It's true what what I've read in some posts: it sounds like an average song from X&Y. Even a song like "Fix You", as predictable and crowd-pleasing as it is, has a nice build-up. "Up in flames" has nothing going for it. Flatline.

Maybe expectations were too high...

Ok, on to DLIBYH. :fingersx:

Substitute slow with intimate :) I imagine a lot of people would dislike this song , were it not devoid of synths and such. But I am ready to be proven wrong if I have misunderstood.

If it's not a good song, there's no difference for me if it's slow/intimate with just a few instruments. This one, at the moment, is kinda boring.

And has nothing to do with Bon iver (like it was mentioned in another thread)

A few things

1. I could BARELY make out anything Jonny was playing... The video may be terrible quality, but i don't see how this is something utterly tear-inducing...yet. Hoping to find a better video in the next few days.

2. The moment Chris continuously repeated "Up in Flames," I cringed. Too much repetition, on this entire album. Its absolutely no where near Clocks and Fix You. Not a chance. Lyrics made those songs amazing, and they each had a hefty amount of material in them. :\

3. It feels short haha. If there was a point where they exploded (a la Fix You) in my opinion it would be freaking amazing.

Exactamundo.

Though I do think it sounds a lot like Fix You, mostly because of the falsetto and the slower tempo... But, the song could be better if there was an explosive climax somewhere near the end... Cuz I feel this one's just a bit... monotonous. :/

I dunno, this one's just meh for me.

I'll have to listen to the studio version before I make up my mind about how I feel... I have a feeling it'll be more synthy on the record... :shrug:

Just to get it straight...for my own curiosity. Everyone who is praising Up In Flames because it´s slow and only feature few organic instruments. Would you all like an album exclusively made up of songs like this?

Actually, it seems to be the same fans who liked Paradise are the ones who enjoy Up in Flames. In fact, a considerable number of posters have said the song is mediocre, kind of boring. And no, I would not like al album full of songs like Up in Flames because it would put me straight to sleep.

Actually, it seems to be the same fans who liked Paradise are the ones who enjoy Up in Flames. In fact, a considerable number of posters have said the song is mediocre, kind of boring. And no, I would not like al album full of songs like Up in Flames because it would put me straight to sleep.

Thanks :) A lot posters were saying that finally Up In Flames was a decent song after the disappointment they had with Paradise, hence my question.

Your question made me infer that you think older fans think Coldplay is only about slow and quieter songs and that's why they don't like most of what we've recently had a chance to listen to. That's the most common sterotype about this band. Sorry if I'm wrong though. To answer your question, an album made up exclusively of songs like UIF, UATW would be quite boring, despite the songs being interesting enough per se.

Your question made me infer that you think older fans think Coldplay is only about slow and quieter songs and that's why they don't like most of what we've recently had a chance to listen to.

Yeah, I think you're right. It seems a lot of people equate older fans as wanting "slow and quieter songs" when that's not the case. I just want quality songs and unfortunately, every new song I hear from the MX-era is disappointing me.

Worse, there's only like 4 or 5 songs that haven't been heard yet so not much to really change my mind :cry: