✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

UIF WORLD DEBUT - watch the video

prospekt#42

• Replies 244
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow... just wow... mediocre at best. Painstakingly predictable.

Hear the first chord and you know exactly where it's headed. I swear I could sing the chorus half-way through the first verse. And then over, and over, and over... and over again.

It doesn't matter if the sound is stripped down or not, the song needs to be good first. And this, sadly, is not. Sure, production plays a great part, but if you threw a hip-hop beat in the middle part of "Moving To Mars" (when the guitar kicks in) it'd sound good anyway, though maybe not THAT good.

Yep, this IS Coldplay. At their saccharine-coated worst, but you can at least recognize them. Cold comfort, may I say.

It's true what what I've read in some posts: it sounds like an average song from X&Y. Even a song like "Fix You", as predictable and crowd-pleasing as it is, has a nice build-up. "Up in flames" has nothing going for it. Flatline.

Maybe expectations were too high...

Ok, on to DLIBYH. :fingersx:

Mmm, gotta say I pretty much agree. Like I said I'm holding on until I hear a decent quality version, but most of my initial excitement was purely because it sounded like them. But after another listen it sounds like the kind of song I disliked X&Y for.

Chris seems so....uninspired. I get the feeling he's far from exaggerating when he says he really doesn't know where another album would come from.

Well it's a step in the right direction, 10 x better than Paradise but it certainly is very repetitive. I'll reserve judgement until I've heard a higher quality version though.

Ooooh, oooooh, oooooh, yeah, oooooh, oooooh, yeah, oooooooh, ooooh yeah, everything's not lost

I don't think that songs that are repetitive are bad, I think that they're that way for a reason, specially sad songs. It's like the person who's singing them is trying to convince you of something. It's kind of reassuring somehow...

I think I am going to wait until the launch of the album to hear this song.

And I am not going to listen to any other live performances of songs I have heard (MX/HLH, CB and POC) until the launch of the album.

In the run up to X&Y and VLVODAAHF I had heard all of the songs performed live before the albums were released which kind of numbed the excitement.

As much as I am having trouble enjoying what has been released so far I am hoping that at least one of the tracks will remind me of what Coldplay used to be about, and if that happens the album would have been worth every penny.

I really like it, but I can't help but feel it's lacking a certain something. I absolutely love the verses, but the chorus is extremely dull in it's current form. And I know it's stereotypical for Coldplay, but I really wish the song lead to some sort of crescendo, ala Fix You. That'd elevate to an amazing rather than just good.

Perhaps I'll be even more impressed with a better quality live version/studio version :)

Umm... See you soon is one of my all time favorites from "old" Coldplay - this is no See You Soon - actually very underwhelming and for all the hypocrisy about repetitive lyrics - are you kidding me? He's singing Up in Flames at least 20 times and it's simplicity doesn't add to its greatness like See You Soon, or For You which is another all time favorite from that era. I do feel like it's Emperor Has no clothes phenomenon with fans of old Coldplay though, songs that are supposedly so stripped down but really sound like any other folk singer in a bar suddenly get adulation simply for being stripped down even though the song is repetitive as hell, and doesn't have much more than Will on a clap track, and one or two chords on the piano, and lyrics repeating itself.

I'll reserve full judgment till the studio version, but for now, not believing the hype (and I usually trust Will, but then again he thought Clocks was crap) - but I think Paradise is way better and much more interesting musically than this even with the simplicity factored in. Can't hear Jonny's gorgeous riff (perhaps the slide guitar at the end) but man, not a great track so far compared to all the others released (it was written quickly, right?, before the Itunes Festival).

Anyway, hopefully it gets better production value on the studio track. I'll give Coldplay the benefit of the doubt - right now, though Paradise, ETIAW, MM, HLH, CB, and UATW are definitely better than this track.

I won't hear this song until its actual release, but after reading a whole bunch of comments posted in this thread, I have the following comments:

First, I think that the boys have made the mistake of being to repetitive in their songs this time. For example, Paradise, ETIAW and now Up In Flames. I don't really remember a repetitive song in VIVA or X&Y, AROBTTH, etc. In my opinion, this is undoubtedly a feature in mainstream songs.

Second, and after hearing yesterday all the released songs, except Up In Flames, it is clear that the weakest link is Paradise. Although I initially criticized ETIAW for the Peter Allen sample, I think that it is a good song, very upbeat and the verses are fair good. I don't know if I started loving the song after seeing the live performances, but let me tell you, nowadays it is the third most heard song in my iTunes, and it was released on June 3. Major Minus is better on its live version (I hope they fixed the bad things in the album version), Charlie Brown is going to be amazing, UATW is classic Coldplay and Hurts Like Heaven is my favorite. Finally, I think Moving to Mars is a great song. I had my doubts, but yesterday I heard the live version in the iTunes Festival and was once again captivated by such an amazing piece.

Therefore, I think that we must calm down and not be so prejudiced by every new release - especially after the huge disappointment of Paradise - because deep down we all know that this boys have the power of captivating us, even if it is with a great performance of a song that is not so good in its studio version.

Over to you...

Escapist - I hear you about reserving judgment which I'll do with Up in Flames - but very underwhelmed so far comparing it to See You Soon or For you in terms that a contingent of Coldplay fans who long for old coldplay are heaping praise on it though it doesn't sound amazing as those songs mentioned.

As for Paradise, have to disagree with you about it being the weakest link, it's an amazing song, and will do well at least live if not on the charts. Both ETIAW and Paradise have been excellent singles and am glad they decided to release Paradise rather than CB (which I like but think it's repetitive in its musical ideas (essentially Jonny's riff repeating itself - love the piano outro to it though, which I think makes the song even better).

I think hardcore oldschool Coldplay fans will have to listen to the entire album/story to appreciate Paradise but on its own, it's grand, glorious, and Coldplay going into the stratosphere or outer space. I wouldn't be surprised if astronauts played this while flying into space, it's that grand.

As for Paradise, have to disagree with you about it being the weakest link, it's an amazing song, and will do well at least live if not on the charts.

This has nothing to do with the (poor) quality of the song.

Paradise is an embarrassing song.