✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Moving to Mars vs Up In Flames

Kacey

Both are relatively quiet, piano driven songs. Yet MTM has more depth, better lyrics, differing chord progression, unique chords.

My point is, if we never got MTM on the ep (for those who argue for wanting new songs), should MTM have made the album instead of UIF? I know we just heard a live phone vid for UIF, but let's get real. It's honestly not going to be much different on the album, just clearer and crisper. I can imagine it already.

Don't get me wrong, the song's alright, but it sounds more like a b-side. Lots of people have drawn many comparisons of UIF to previous Coldplay songs. MTM felt fresh and new to me, and still part of this MX era.

Am I alone on this? :s

No, I completely agree. I don't mind so much that Up In Flames made it on the album - I do like the melody, but MTM (for me at least) is better in almost every department. A few people have noted that UIF sounds unfinished, which is interesting considering that it was the last song they wrote for the album - sounds to me like they rushed it a bit when they could have spend more time fleshing it out. I'm not sure how much you like Paradise, but frankly I'm astounded that the band thought a song like that was more worthwhile than MTM, which is in a completely different league.

If you ask me, the main problem with this new era is less to do with the actual music they've been creating, but rather the decisions they have made regarding the album tracklisting and their marketing strategies. For example, I don't see how they needed to include ETIAW on the album, after including it on the EP. Same goes with Paradise - seriously, what gives? Having these subpar songs sit alongside the likes of Us Against The World and Charlie Brown make very little sense to me. It's a shame because it all seems a bit rushed and sloppy to me, and I really wouldn't have minded waiting a few more months for them to really sit down and straighten everything out.

So in short, my feeling is that they potentially had a really decent album here, perhaps equal to / surpassing Viva in terms of quality; and in the end they had to go and make it a mixed bag by including songs they could have released as b-sides, and leaving top notch material off in favour of uninspired pop-filler.

Get rid of:

E̶v̶e̶r̶y̶ ̶T̶e̶a̶r̶d̶r̶o̶p̶ ̶I̶s̶ ̶A̶ ̶W̶a̶t̶e̶r̶f̶a̶l̶l̶

P̶a̶r̶a̶d̶i̶s̶e̶

Flesh out / Revisit:

Up In Flames

Major Minus

Resurrect:

Moving To Mars

...and already they'll be well on their way to having a really decent 'concept' album with a good mix of pop tunes and more 'classic' sounding tracks.

I like both songs, but I definitely prefer Moving to Mars, simply because it actually goes somewhere. UIF is nice but I would like it a lot better if it slowly built up to a climax with a sweet guitar solo like MTM, instead of just being the same thing for 3 minutes :/

"Moving to Mars" is a masterpiece, a weird and beautiful combo betwen "Space Oddity", "Rocket Man" and "Wish you were here".

"Up in flames" is predictable and straightforward; in MTM the chord progression is fresh, more oblique, and I like the song structure which is akin to "Death and all his friends" or "42". But I don't know if the two could be interchangeable storywise. "Up in flames" tells about the break-up between the two main characters, but what about MTM? Where could it fit in the narrative?

"Moving to Mars" is a masterpiece, a weird and beautiful combo betwen "Space Oddity", "Rocket Man" and "Wish you were here".

"Up in flames" is predictable and straightforward; in MTM the chord progression is fresh, more oblique, and I like the song structure which is akin to "Death and all his friends" or "42". But I don't know if the two could be interchangeable storywise. "Up in flames" tells about the break-up between the two main characters, but what about MTM? Where could it fit in the narrative?

I agree with every part of your post, but I do think UIF and MTM are almost interchangeable because both deal with being bad things and being torn apart and such.

But yeah, the posters who have said that we need to hear it in context of the album are very much right.

I would have rathered Moving to Mars to be on the album and like someone else said Up in Flames for the EP. Mainly because Up in Flames just doesn't hit me, its boring, its repeditive and lyrical wise is much worse than "Paradise" or "Every teardrop is a Waterfall", aka the songs everyone seems to hate so much. The only good thing it has going for it is the backing track, which is relativly hit and miss. It's a soulless track which tries to be both new and hip and do their old stuff in one go and it doesn't work. Basiclly its a B Side track at best and should of been on the EP, it might lyrical wise tell fit in this story we hear so much about, but other then that it has nothing going on for it.