✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Why is Major Minus so underrated?

nvdmm

...and not even regarded in the same light as all the other songs? it's clearly the truest Coldplay song of this era along with Moving to Mars but it seems no one cares about it!! honestly as much as i hate para-para and wa-wa i think MM is fantabulistic!! it just reminds me of their older stuff which is what i want really but also i reckon along with Moving to Mars they're two genius tracks which made me not lose my hope on the band

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

...and not even regarded in the same light as all the other songs? it's clearly the truest Coldplay song of this era along with Moving to Mars but it seems no one cares about it!! honestly as much as i hate para-para and wa-wa i think MM is fantabulistic!! it just reminds me of their older stuff which is what i want really but also i reckon along with Moving to Mars they're two genius tracks which made me not lose my hope on the band

I love Major Minus, but I also like ETDIAW and Paradise. But I agree with you, it hasnt been spoken of much. Major Minus is a great, gritty & loud track, and I'm surprised that more people are not talking about how much they like it as well!

I like all the new songs I heard so far. Some of them more, some of them less.

Major Minus is one of my favorites. The problem of that song is that they played it at first live. Of course a song with this background and lyrics and atmosphere sounds live better because its more chaotic and unclean. This fits better to the theme of escape and pressure.

But I also love the studio version because the voice sounds brilliant and the verse is absolutely fantastic (the best verse I ever heard of Coldplay) in my honest opinion.

I think the studio version sort of crapped all over what people thought of it. I did like the live version better, but I do like the studio as well. I'm sort of hoping they added some stuff (ala Lovers in Japan Osaka Sun Remix) to it so that it sounds better. Like Johnny coming in at multiple times like he does live.

I wouldn't call it a particularly Coldplay-esque song though. Maybe the most like one, but its straight out of U2's playbook (I don't happen to think that's a bad thing).

Either way, I think it'll come into its own and be truly appreciated once we have the album. Its sort of the crux right in the middle there, so I think that will propel it a bit. Only time can tell. What people say immediately doesn't always mirror how a song is remembered long term.

At first I thought the song was merely okay, but I pretty much outright hate it now. No, the studio version with Chris's vocals sure as hell didn't do it any favors, but the song bothers me in other ways too. In general, the song feels like a way weaker version of "Cemeteries of London" (one of the few tracks on VLV that I feels really stands out). Not to mention the "Oooh, oooh" portions are some of Chris's most irritating vocal moments ever. The Jonny solo isn't that bad, but again, done better on COL. If ETIAW and Paradise weren't receiving such backlash, I would think much more negativity would be directed toward Major Minus.

Love this song. It confuses me why more don't like it, as well. What mystifies me even more is all the hate over the studio version. The guitar sounds louder and more vibrant (to me) in the studio version. It's more pronounced. Chris' voice being altered is in context with the song and it's lyrics. I have a feeling that people are going to feel the same way about the backing tracks in HLH and CB and start dissing the whole album as "over produced", and pull the whole "it's not Parachutes or ROBTH" argument out again. Me? I am loving everything we have heard thus far... Even some of Paradise, but MM is one of the best tracks for me too.

I like all the new songs I heard so far. Some of them more, some of them less.

Major Minus is one of my favorites. The problem of that song is that they played it at first live. Of course a song with this background and lyrics and atmosphere sounds live better because its more chaotic and unclean. This fits better to the theme of escape and pressure.

But I also love the studio version because the voice sounds brilliant and the verse is absolutely fantastic (the best verse I ever heard of Coldplay) in my honest opinion.

i'm delighted with all your opinions. at last the song is receiving some recognition :)

At first I thought the song was merely okay, but I pretty much outright hate it now. No, the studio version with Chris's vocals sure as hell didn't do it any favors, but the song bothers me in other ways too. In general, the song feels like a way weaker version of "Cemeteries of London" (one of the few tracks on VLV that I feels really stands out). Not to mention the "Oooh, oooh" portions are some of Chris's most irritating vocal moments ever. The Jonny solo isn't that bad, but again, done better on COL. If ETIAW and Paradise weren't receiving such backlash, I would think much more negativity would be directed toward Major Minus.

I'd have to agree with you on the bold part. That's one of the reasons I dislike the studio version. Moreover, it's too clean, it has lost the chaos and edginess the live version has. And I miss the first guitar solo bridge.

I love the live version of MM. It was one of the highlights from ACL for me. I wasn't too fond of all the effects in the studio version, but now that I know there's a story being told, I think they make sense. They lend to the eerie, "Big Brother" like feel of the song.

I'd have to agree with you on the bold part. That's one of the reasons I dislike the studio version. Moreover, it's too clean, it has lost the chaos and edginess the live version has. And I miss the first guitar solo bridge.

yeah i can see where ur comin from. its still the best song so far though imho.