✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Why is Major Minus so underrated?

nvdmm

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The killer bass line from Guy and the thumping bass drum from Will are often overlooked as well... Just listened to the studio version again and it rattled the windows. Would love to hear this live right after Politik!

yeah exactly it would make for a brilliant setlist if they include a couple of the older songs like politik. it would go well with MM and MTM. they certainly need to interchange some songs on their current setlist cuz they've been playing the same repetitive stuff for too long

...and not even regarded in the same light as all the other songs? it's clearly the truest Coldplay song of this era along with Moving to Mars but it seems no one cares about it!! honestly as much as i hate para-para and wa-wa i think MM is fantabulistic!! it just reminds me of their older stuff which is what i want really but also i reckon along with Moving to Mars they're two genius tracks which made me not lose my hope on the band

so true Major Minus and Charlie Brown along with mxhlh just gives this album hope btw i hope they record MM like they played it live ....it represents the true energy of this song

Moreover, it's too clean, it has lost the chaos and edginess the live version has. And I miss the first guitar solo bridge.

Why is it that I always agree with you on everything? :P

I've actually grown to like the vocal effects (I mean, there aren't many of them anyway--it's just a Chris / Will duet that gives most of that effect). But I think the major thing that gave it that 'chaos' was the echoes. The echoes were freaking epic, especially during Jonny's solo and on the very last note when they just faded out. And yeah, the bridge is the only other thing that bothers me . . . it would have been amazing if they had added in a solo like the one in the 2003 Live version of ARoBttH. That would have shot MM through the roof on the scale of amazingness.

Although I do have to say that I like the acoustic guitar better in the studio version than I do the live :P

• 3 weeks later...
Yeah, I second that.

Major Minus can't be as good as live just because the whole character of the song is better shown in the live versions.

I love the studio version. The ones who complain about an overproduced song like the live version better, but complain to no end about the one that will appear on Mylo Xyloto.

But yes, Major Minus is one of Coldplay's best.

It is a highly contrasting song compared to the rest of the album, at first glance it doesn't seem to "fit in". However, I think it fits well when you consider the narrative they were going with in the album, the whole boy girl love story. Some of the studio effects can be at times annoying, but I don't think it breaks the song.

I think the reason why MM still stands out is that it still has the most attractive Co. energies but in a new coat - still connected. It is also like when you meet new people, usually, you only see outside/lightful part, other than, taking enough time, going through thin and thick, to feel the inside without any pretending or decoration. That's how I feel it when I listen through the whole album, from MX till to MM's phase. From ETIAW to UFO.

I am sad that the song is getting so much hatred here... It's more Coldplay than many of the tracks on the album, and it is dark, mysterious, full of tension and some great guitars... Sad that some don't get its quality,really...

I think the same. For me the problem is that we firstly heard it live. The magic of such a dark song comes with the live performance which is more raw and unclean. And this fits perfectly into the atmosphere.

Nevertheless I fucking love this song, one of the many highlights on the record for me.

I avoided the live versions, and loved Major Minus anyway when it came out with the ETIAW EP. It hasn't changed in the slightest in the transition to Mylo Xyloto (except for balancing the guitars out a bit more in the chorus, which actually improves it a ton), but even though I've probably listened to it in excess of 100 times, I still love it to bits. It's a refreshing diversion from what Coldplay usually does. ^_^

I am sad that the song is getting so much hatred here... It's more Coldplay than many of the tracks on the album, and it is dark, mysterious, full of tension and some great guitars... Sad that some don't get its quality,really...

THIS ^

MM deserved to be a single of MX (and a EPIC videoclip too), have the most different vibe of all. but i think Coldplay released it with ETIAW to test the public responce to the new songs...