✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The PROS & CONS of "Princess of China" (plus 1-10 sliding poll)

SonnyIanni

And people say I say weird things about what songs sound like in comparison to others :wtf:

I honestly don't see where that comparison even comes from, let alone that they sampled it, unless it's completely buried in the overproduction.

I would like to apologize for this last night :lol:

Now that I hear it in better quality, and with UFO before it, IT TOTALLY DOES FUCKING SAMPLE TAKK BY SIGUR RÓS AND I LOVE IT

That's not just a sonic similarity, it's definitely a sample. And if it's not credited as such and Sigur Rós want to get serious, I think they could have a lawsuit on their hands, but I don't honestly think Coldplay would do that without asking, especially not in light of all their woes with Satriani etc.

But yes, major apologies...it took me hearing it in UFO to realize that it totally was Takk and my heart melted because Sigur Rós are one of my favorite artists of all time :wacky:

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I totally love the synths! Badd-ass :smug:

The Lalalala part is ... mweh.

Also ... TAKK?? You mean that little piece at the end of UFO? It's just the effect that's the same as in the start of Takk, I wouldn't go as far as to say that they sampled Takk :S I think I heard this in many things and to say that they all got it from Takk? :S No.

That's not just a sonic similarity, it's definitely a sample. And if it's not credited as such and Sigur Rós want to get serious, I think they could have a lawsuit on their hands, but I don't honestly think Coldplay would do that without asking, especially not in light of all their woes with Satriani etc.

This morning a Dutch DJ (Giel Beelen, respected guy over here, often the first to play new music) said he has a copy of MX, and they have indeed credited Sigur Ros in the booklet. :nice:

Edit: it's pretty obvious actually :lol:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeW7TF68AWU]Sigur Ros - Takk - - YouTube[/ame]

The first half second (and the ending of U.F.O.) is exactly the same, and then that other sound comes in, layered over the sample.

On topic:

Pros: bass, lalala part, Chris' part. I like that it's different. Rihanna is ok.

Con: there's something I don't like, which I can't describe. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

Pros:

-Rihanna is mmm mmm good on there.

-DAT SYNTH

-Chris' voice isn't cracking and falling flat everywhere like I feared

-Lyrically better than ETIAW and Paradise

Cons:

-Chris isn't as prominent, but that's not a terrible thing

-There is little to no bass

-Brian Eno does not condone the use of bass

-Oh god how horrifying Guy you are still my favorite and idgaf

everything about this post

This morning a Dutch DJ (Giel Beelen, respected guy over here, often the first to play new music) said he has a copy of MX, and they have indeed credited Sigur Ros in the booklet.

I don't think it's so obvious...I would never have noted that. Got quite sad now knowing there is another sample...too many samples on this album.

This morning a Dutch DJ (Giel Beelen, respected guy over here, often the first to play new music) said he has a copy of MX, and they have indeed credited Sigur Ros in the booklet. :nice:

Edit: it's pretty obvious actually :lol:

The first half second (and the ending of U.F.O.) is exactly the same, and then that other sound comes in, layered over the sample.

On topic:

Pros: bass, lalala part, Chris' part. I like that it's different. Rihanna is ok.

Con: there's something I don't like, which I can't describe. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

Awwww, I'm excited to see that in the booklet myself :nice:. Of course, I knew they WOULD credit them, I was just kidding when I said they would have to watch their backs. It's not like they're new to this game :lol:

Now all they need to do is sample The Strokes and I'd die happy :wacky:

(Actually I'm usually not a grand fan of sampling in general, but every time Coldplay has done it it's worked very well for them, in my opinion)