✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Tour to have a 360 degree stage?

Jenjie

[Thanks for the hint Hooper68]

1) From the MEN Arena website

Coldplay

Coldplay return to the M.E.N Arena next month to perform in a 360 degree view setting. Extra production tickets for the Sunday 4 December show have just been released and are on sale now.

http://www.men-arena.com/events/?page_id=1901

2) Glasgow SECC has no info about the event

3) London o2 showing an end stage seating plan http://www.theo2.co.uk/seating-plan/index.php?id=1886

Well...I'm not sure if I'm happy about that or not. As Mich said,U2 has just finished the 360*tour so that wouldn't be very clever of them to do. On the other hand,I'm sure it would look cool but a bit worried about if everyone would be able to get a nice view of them... :\Oh well,we'll see what they will come up with. Thanks Jen for the info ;)

I don't think they'd put this much planning and effort and money into it (because it must take a lot) if they were only just going to "try it out." I think if the rumors are true, and unless it just turns out to be a massive, massive failure in some way, it's probably going to be in place for all the arena and stadium shows they're going to do on this tour :blank:

i don't see how that works though. "rear view" implies you'd be able to see whats happening, but you're not going to see much with the screens and all the other stuff at the back of the stage. in which case rear "view" would surely be mis-selling, it would be "rear listen" seats?

plus, the MEN have definitely said on their website its 360 degree view. now if that's not the case, that IS mis-selling or false advertising.

i don't see how that works though. "rear view" implies you'd be able to see whats happening, but you're not going to see much with the screens and all the other stuff at the back of the stage. in which case rear "view" would surely be mis-selling, it would be "rear listen" seats?

U2 did it at with their last tour in stadiums but the better comparision, would be with U2's Elevation-Tour" (2001) and their Vertigo Tour (2005) where they played in similar venues like Coldplay will, and where they had this 360 Concept as well: The stage at one side like in the graphic. It worked really well. Likely they will not used the "plastic"-roof for their indoor-gigs, which was used in Madrid.

I like the concept - nice stage, nice visuals. And they will like it for the possibility to sell more tickets. Looking forward to see them again! It's going to be great!

Playing a venue in 360 is hardly something U2 invented with their last tour. It's been done by many artists for many years. U2 were even playing arenas 360 as far back as Unforgettable Fire era (84-85). U2 were just the first to do it on the massive scale of stadiums. It's hardly ripping off U2 to play in 360 degress, just a way to sell more tickets and maximize the venues' capacity. I believe the SECC is shaped in such a way that there are no seats behind the stage anyway. Also, US amphitheaters and probably ALL stadiums gigs will not be 360.

just received an email for the show in Antwerp:

Dear Coldplay fan,

You are subscribed to the waiting list of the Coldplay concert on December 18 at the Sportpaleis.

Good news! Because Coldplay has decided to go 360°, extra tickets have become available! Please note that these seats are side view or rear view of the stage and no optimal view can be guaranteed. Tickets will cost 40 euro (service charges not included). Decide quickly!

They also said it on the german radio station 1LIVE this morning. So I guess it's really true. :( They also said that the additional tickets were sold because of the decision to play on a 360° stage.

Heute Morgen haben wir euch im 1LIVE Pop erzählt, dass es noch Zusatzkarten für das Coldplay Konzert am 15.12.2011 in Köln gibt - mittlerweile sind die aber alle weg. Innerhalb weniger Stunden sind die 1.750 Zusatzkarten rausgegangen. Coldplay hatten sich kurzfristig dazu entscheiden, bei dem Konzert auf einer 360-Grad-Bühne zu spielen, also mitten in der Arena. Deshalb konnten sie doch noch mal Karten rausgeben. Jetzt sind aber wirklich alle Tickets weg, das Konzert ist restlos ausverkauft.