✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[22-Jun-2012] Coldplay @ American Airlines Center, Dallas, TX, USA

Oh and I have another story to tell! LOL! I almost forgot! So me and my friend Emily, who went to the concert with me went back to the AAC the second night after the concert to try to meet Coldplay. So we went around the side to the crew exit and sure enough there were 3 other people waiting beside a partition. So we decided to hang around and see if we could meet the band. We wait for about 30 or 45 minutes and some guys start to walk out. My friend was like "Is that Wolf Gang?!" I wasn't sure, but sure enough some lady a little farther down stopped them for a picture. So we ran over just as they were about to walk away and said "Wait! Can we please have a picture?" They were so adorable. I don't think they are used to getting noticed, but they complied and let us take a picture with them. :) They didn't stay to talk, though. So we wait a little longer. And Matt McGinn walks out! I was so terribly nervous to talk to him that all I could say was "Hi!" and wave, to which he tiredly held up a hand and said "hi" quite annoyed sounding as he walked over to the bus he was staying. I really wanted to be like "I've read your book! It was fantastic!", but I just couldn't say anything lol! So then we waited again, talking to the security guard and two other people who were waiting and I see another familiar face, Hoppy. This time I had a little more courage saying, "Are you Hoppy?". He seemed surprised that I knew who he was as he slowly turned around and said, "Yes." as he kept walking. I waved and said, "It's nice to meet you!". Now it's around 1 or so and a crew member with an English accent (so I assumed Coldplay crew and not AA venue crew) says to us, "Who are you waiting for?". My friend replies, "Coldplay". and He's like "Oh yeah, they've been gone for a while. Left in the Limo through the crew door (you can drive underneath the venue). They're already back at the hotel." So no meeting Coldplay, but at least we met Wolf Gang and some of the crew!

166007_10151013538573728_1117097587_n.jpg

Me and Wolf Gang!

292344_10151013538828728_436438907_n.jpg

Emily and Wolf Gang!

• Replies 566
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

But yes, if you were sitting in the lower balcony, you were among the most snobbiest people in Dallas...I didn't say all mind you! I know there are a few die hard Coldplay fans that can afford the lower level, and more power to them! It's just that most of the lower level is made up of season ticket holders that fancy themselves to every concert because they can...whether they know the band or not...or the lyrics. That's why I love U2 in this case and why Coldplay should follow...just let the floor be all GA at a reasonable price like $50 (that's what U2 charges)...let the real fans closer in next to the band...and charge an arm and a leg in the lower balcony (like U2 did for $250)...it's that simple! Stick it to the rich folks and let us real fans down closer to the band. Even Bono said he hates reserved seating because of this and got tired of the stiffs in the front few rows. So U2 hasn't had reserved seating since the POP tour of the late 90's. They've had GA on the floor at every show for the last 3 tours. Coldplay just needs to put their foot down and tell Ticketbastard/Live Nation that they aren't going to do it anymore. Shoot, even Bruce has GA on the floor. So I know it can be done.

EXACTLY!!!! I was in 120, row C for the Sat. show and me and my bestie were the only die hard fans around. Sure, there were drunk idiots (in their 50's, not 20's mind you) dancing around and being obnoxious. The lady next to me was nice enough, and she was asking me tons of questions. I didn't mind answering them, because she seemed genuine and interested in the show, but she obviously was not a die hard fan. It is just disheartening that real fans don't get to be up close (unless you are willing to fork out for VIP tix or deal with brokers). And, I know it's not really the bands fault, per se, I LOATHE ticketbastard/LN and thier thievery. I think a GA would be a fantastic idea, and I bet it's something they consider next tour.

I noticed on this tour, that they have eschewed a little bit of their self-deprecation, and acted like they commanded that stage and crowd :smug:

Well, I tried saying it without saying it...don't know who's reading in here :P

But yes, if you were sitting in the lower balcony, you were among the most snobbiest people in Dallas...I didn't say all mind you! I know there are a few die hard Coldplay fans that can afford the lower level, and more power to them! It's just that most of the lower level is made up of season ticket holders that fancy themselves to every concert because they can...whether they know the band or not...or the lyrics. That's why I love U2 in this case and why Coldplay should follow...just let the floor be all GA at a reasonable price like $50 (that's what U2 charges)...let the real fans closer in next to the band...and charge an arm and a leg in the lower balcony (like U2 did for $250)...it's that simple! Stick it to the rich folks and let us real fans down closer to the band. Even Bono said he hates reserved seating because of this and got tired of the stiffs in the front few rows. So U2 hasn't had reserved seating since the POP tour of the late 90's. They've had GA on the floor at every show for the last 3 tours. Coldplay just needs to put their foot down and tell Ticketbastard/Live Nation that they aren't going to do it anymore. Shoot, even Bruce has GA on the floor. So I know it can be done.

I agree with you 100%. I've been to 3 general admission and 2 reserved for Coldplay, and the fans were SO MUCH BETTER in the GA shows.

And, I know it's not really the bands fault, per se, I LOATHE ticketbastard/LN and thier thievery.

+10000

I hate Ticketmaster and their dirty tactics. Always have, always will. It's become legalized scalping now thanks to Congress approving the merger years ago, and basically creating a monopoly, despite their best attempts to distort the language and tell you everything's coming up roses.

But don't get me on my soapbox, I'll bore you all to tears with that....:D

love this quote from today's HoustonPress:

"Oh, does your favorite band drench the crowd in confetti during the closing number? Coldplay does it the second song, bitches (and then again two songs later). Does your favorite band sell glow sticks to wave at random intervals? Coldplay gives away free bracelets that light up by remote control!"

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2012/06/coldplay_toyota_center_june_25.php

EXACTLY!!!! I was in 120, row C for the Sat. show and me and my bestie were the only die hard fans around. Sure, there were drunk idiots (in their 50's, not 20's mind you) dancing around and being obnoxious. The lady next to me was nice enough, and she was asking me tons of questions. I didn't mind answering them, because she seemed genuine and interested in the show, but she obviously was not a die hard fan. It is just disheartening that real fans don't get to be up close (unless you are willing to fork out for VIP tix or deal with brokers). And, I know it's not really the bands fault, per se, I LOATHE ticketbastard/LN and thier thievery. I think a GA would be a fantastic idea, and I bet it's something they consider next tour.

I noticed on this tour, that they have eschewed a little bit of their self-deprecation, and acted like they commanded that stage and crowd :smug:

Yeah sadly this is the case. The guy in front of me kept getting beers passed to him from a guy behind me. :/ so annoying!!! Also I hate how the majority of people who have tickets for the 100s and floor level seats don't show up till Coldplay starts. I alway feel bad for the openers for that reason. There did seem to be a small group of dedicated fans on the floor who were out of their seats and next to the catwalk the whole time though, which made me a little happier.

Oh and I have another story to tell! LOL! I almost forgot! So me and my friend Emily, who went to the concert with me went back to the AAC the second night after the concert to try to meet Coldplay. So we went around the side to the crew exit and sure enough there were 3 other people waiting beside a partition. So we decided to hang around and see if we could meet the band. We wait for about 30 or 45 minutes and some guys start to walk out. My friend was like "Is that Wolf Gang?!" I wasn't sure, but sure enough some lady a little farther down stopped them for a picture. So we ran over just as they were about to walk away and said "Wait! Can we please have a picture?" They were so adorable. I don't think they are used to getting noticed, but they complied and let us take a picture with them. :) They didn't stay to talk, though. So we wait a little longer. And Matt McGinn walks out! I was so terribly nervous to talk to him that all I could say was "Hi!" and wave, to which he tiredly held up a hand and said "hi" quite annoyed sounding as he walked over to the bus he was staying. I really wanted to be like "I've read your book! It was fantastic!", but I just couldn't say anything lol! So then we waited again, talking to the security guard and two other people who were waiting and I see another familiar face, Hoppy. This time I had a little more courage saying, "Are you Hoppy?". He seemed surprised that I knew who he was as he slowly turned around and said, "Yes." as he kept walking. I waved and said, "It's nice to meet you!". Now it's around 1 or so and a crew member with an English accent (so I assumed Coldplay crew and not AA venue crew) says to us, "Who are you waiting for?". My friend replies, "Coldplay". and He's like "Oh yeah, they've been gone for a while. Left in the Limo through the crew door (you can drive underneath the venue). They're already back at the hotel." So no meeting Coldplay, but at least we met Wolf Gang and some of the crew!

166007_10151013538573728_1117097587_n.jpg

Me and Wolf Gang!

292344_10151013538828728_436438907_n.jpg

Emily and Wolf Gang!

Hahaha, I'm loving the Dunder Mifflin shirt. Props to Wolf Gang.

Yeah sadly this is the case. The guy in front of me kept getting beers passed to him from a guy behind me. :/ so annoying!!! Also I hate how the majority of people who have tickets for the 100s and floor level seats don't show up till Coldplay starts. I alway feel bad for the openers for that reason. There did seem to be a small group of dedicated fans on the floor who were out of their seats and next to the catwalk the whole time though, which made me a little happier.

I had this guy sitting behind me - who wasn't even supposed to be in the 300's, but in the 100's - who kept getting drunk and spilt beer on me and my friends. Really annoying.

I had this guy sitting behind me - who wasn't even supposed to be in the 300's, but in the 100's - who kept getting drunk and spilt beer on me and my friends. Really annoying.

I can't stand that! I had a stretch of about 4-5 concerts in a row, where this would happen to me :angry: The worst being at Depeche Mode, this idiot drunk girl dumped 1/2 her beer on my suede Doc sandals, then looked at me like I did something wrong...grrrr.

I can't stand that! I had a stretch of about 4-5 concerts in a row, where this would happen to me :angry: The worst being at Depeche Mode, this idiot drunk girl dumped 1/2 her beer on my suede Doc sandals, then looked at me like I did something wrong...grrrr.

Wow. What a bunch of idiots.

Initially, the guy was like, "I'M SO SORRY MAN. LEMME BUY YOU A PRETZEL OR A BEER.", but then he started talking shit about us, when he was right behind us. What a dick.

But, it was funny, because his wife fell down the steps drunk during The Scientist and he left.

Hahaha, I'm loving the Dunder Mifflin shirt. Props to Wolf Gang.

That sucks! That's the last thing I want is to leave the venue soaked and reeking of beer! I'm sorry. :( Luckily no beer was spilt on me but they blocked my view and distracted me.

Hi Everyone!

I haven't been on here in a while, but I've loved reading everyone's reviews and all the pics and videos. I'm finally getting a chance to spend some time on here, and it's been a week since this show, and I figured I better sit down and write something out before much more time passes.

I bought the tickets to this show when they went on sale way back in February. We had originally planned on taking our kids to the show, so we settled for less expensive seats in section 324, thinking the kids would do better with a little distance from the stage. But as the show drew closer, I got worried that they would not be able to see, and that my youngest one just wouldn't be able to last for the whole thing. As a result, we ended up selling their two tickets to my friend, and I ended up disappointed that we were going to be so far back for no good reason.

My husband and I drove up to Dallas Friday afternoon and met up with my friend and her sister-in-law before the show. While I was waiting outside the venue, I began to realize that I was nervous. I was overflowing with nervous energy and just felt like I needed to be moving around doing something. We walked in and got our Xylobands, and that's when the excitement really hit me. I saw Coldplay back in September for Austin City Limits, when they had already begun incorporating a lot of the elements of the MX tour into the show. Of course, since it was a festival, they didn't do the Xylobands, so I was very eager to experience that for the first time. Before we made it to our seats, I got to meet up with fellow Coldplayers, Lauren and Jimmy. Lauren was in from California, so it was great to chat with her and catch up a bit and talk about our excitement for the show. I love that I've met so many wonderful people from all over through Coldplay, and that we occasionally get to meet up at shows!

We missed the first opener, Wolf Gang, but were present for the entirety of Robyn's set. Suffice it to say, we weren't big fans. After Robyn, quiet, atmospheric music began playing over the loud speakers while the roadies rushed about the stage getting things set up. It seemed to be taking longer than usual, and just as I was wondering whether the boys were still using 99 Problems as their lead-in, it started playing. That was when I lost what shreds of composure I had left. I started bouncing in my seat, a huge grin on my face, and my heart just racing. I told my husband I had finally realized that I ONLY get that feeling before a Coldplay show. I distinctly remember feeling that mix of excitement and anticipation before the Viva shows I went to, too. And though I always get excited for concerts I attend, it's never quite like that.

The lights dropped after 99 Problems and the Back to the Future theme began. The crowd was loud and the atmosphere was electric. We could see the guys make their way to the stage and even louder cheers went up. But when the first trills of MX started and the Xylobands began twinkling, there was a collective gasp from the audience (I swear you could hear it!) and everyone went wild. I'd seen videos of the Back to the Future/MX/Hurts Like Heaven Xyloband extravaganza, but even then, I was not fully prepared for experiencing it live and in person myself. It was just so amazingly perfect. The colors, the music, the energy from the guys and from the audience... it was truly magical. By the end of the song I may have gotten a little teary-eyed.

Before the show, I had really tried to steer clear from setlist postings and detailed reviews, because I wanted to retain an element of surprise for myself. I did know basically which songs they'd be playing, but not in what order, and I'm glad I'd kind of kept myself from memorizing the setlist, like I'd done for the Viva shows. I loved the confetti and balloons for In My Place and Lovers and Japan, the latter of which remains one of my favorite songs to hear live. I loved how they re-arranged Yellow, with Chris starting out alone on the piano; it was beautiful. I also love the new arrangement of GPASUYF with the building lead-in and Will just going crazy on the drums. But the highlights of the night for me were probably the absolutely gorgeous Warning Sign, which I'd never heard live before, and the acoustic version of Speed of Sound. I was so happy to hear them play it, since it was completely left out of the VLV tour, and that version was really lovely.

Though our seats were far from perfect, we still had a really great view, and did really get to enjoy the light and stage show in all its glory. The lasers during Don't Let it Break Your Heart, and of course, Clocks were very cool. I also noticed big inflatable (I think) MX symbols positioned at different stairwells during DLIBYH. They were huge, and all lit-up, but the only one I could really make out from where I was was the Paradise butterfly. The others just looked like non-descript blobs from the angle I had. It was pretty cool, but it seemed kind of odd that they were only out for that one song, and that they weren't more scattered throughout the arena. From what I could tell, they were only in the 300 level... which now that I think about it is kind of cool... the guys' way of saying "hi" to us way up in the "cheap seats". ;)

As with everything you don't want to end, the show passed so quickly, and before I knew it, we were dancing around to Every Teardrop is a Waterfall. At the end of the night, the crowd was euphoric, the guys had sounded absolutely amazing- including Chris' voice, which was pretty much perfect- and I had a huge smile on my face. Though I wish I could have been there for the second Dallas show the following night, and the 2 shows in Houston, I am so thrilled I was there at all, and am so, so impressed with the show Coldplay put on. I think it'll be hard for them to top it going forward, but I can't wait to see them try!

I have a few not-so-good pictures and some shaky (couldn't stop dancing!) videos, that I'll try to post soon. :)

Wow! The Xylobands look so pretty from where you are sitting. You really get the full effect! Thanks so much for posting. :D

You're welcome! Glad to share!

And yes...it was so hard to pay attention up there! The good thing was I was surrounded by real fans and nobody was drunk or spilt any beer down my back. Besides you're asking for a case of vertigo if you get drunk up there at that level!

Anyway, I was in sensory overload...shoot, it also didn't help that I'm a visual person as well! I couldn't remember the words to the songs, and I was debating taking pics or enjoying the show...I was a mess up there! I do have a butt-load of pics I took, but right now they are only loaded into my Facebook account. I would have to stop and upload them to my Photobucket account for all to see.

And too I have one more small clip to upload as well. I'm in the middle of it right now...damn, Youtube is slow all of the sudden!

You're welcome! Glad to share!

And yes...it was so hard to pay attention up there! The good thing was I was surrounded by real fans and nobody was drunk or spilt any beer down my back. Besides you're asking for a case of vertigo if you get drunk up there at that level!

Anyway, I was in sensory overload...shoot, it also didn't help that I'm a visual person as well! I couldn't remember the words to the songs, and I was debating taking pics or enjoying the show...I was a mess up there! I do have a butt-load of pics I took, but right now they are only loaded into my Facebook account. I would have to stop and upload them to my Photobucket account for all to see.

And too I have one more small clip to upload as well. I'm in the middle of it right now...damn, Youtube is slow all of the sudden!

I know how you feel! I was debating about pictures or watching the show mostly with my own eyes. Just having a good time and watching prevailed, although I got some pictures and video, since the seats I had were the closest to the stage I've ever had before. No rush on your next video lol!

And now, my second and final clip of the show.

Hope you enjoy this one as well!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xrL3GF3jJWs&feature=plcp]Coldplay - Paradise - Dallas, Texas - June 22, 2012 - YouTube[/ame]

thanks for the awesome vids, @allegra

You're welcome! Glad you liked them!

Wish I had enough room to record the whole show, but I was running out of space due to the fact I take tons of pics of my son.

Next time I'll make sure to devote a whole card to it...especially now that I see how easy it is to take video with my Lumix...sorry folks I'm a little bit slow on technology but I'm learning! I'm more of a picture takin' kind of gal...you know old school.

:P

My shaky video of the whole BTF/MX/HLH awesomeness.

Sorry for the shakiness... it's hard to stay still during all of that!

Edit: Sorry, I've forgotten how to embed the video... if someone can remind me, I'll fix it. thx.