✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[22-Jun-2012] Coldplay @ American Airlines Center, Dallas, TX, USA

lol, i didn't mean to start a U2 vs coldplay flamewar! :-)

I saw U2 last summer on the 360 tour at the Meadowlands. Don't get me wrong; it was an awesome show, and I loved every bit of it. (I've also been a huge fan since college in the late 80s, and saw them on the Elevation tour at the AAC.) We were in the nose-bleed seats behind the stage for U2, so maybe that has an effect on my comparison, but I felt more a part of the coldplay show. I just felt like there was way more energy at the coldplay concert. (of course, just my $.02!)

-Joe

• Replies 567
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's awesome to hear! There was a young couple in front of us. The guy was really into it, but the girl seemed to not really enjoy much except their big, older hits.

Oh man, it MUST be late, because I thought I read the following:

The guy was really into it, but the girl seemed to not really enjoy much except their big, older tits.

:o

The folks up in the rafters were more normal and were mostly made up of real fans.

Ok, that validates the theory I had come up with on my own.

And what's the deal with the food? When did nachos and churros become concert food? At one point during the middle of the set, I saw some guy walk down the aisle with a personal pizza! Really? And I'm still appalled at the guy sitting next to me during the Roger Waters/The Wall show who had to go get ice cream half-way through Comfortably Numb!!

-Joe

yea I've watched that show a lot on youtube. :lol:

I'm getting really worried about U2 at the moment. really a ghosttown on the forums

Nah...that's usual during their down time.

Besides...U2.com sucks. Fanfire/Live Nation just ran that place through the coals back in 2009 when NLOTH came out. They felt the need to totally revamp the place, and all they did was break it. "If it ain't broke don't fix it!" But yet again, after a new album, they feel the need to get a new program to run the message board. Well, after the latest one went on line, the place didn't work very well, and still to this day, doesn't work well. And the other thing that happened was people revolted after receiving crappy/unthoughtful free gifts...they weren't special. The Duals CD was music that every die hard fan had or could be bought online. There's tons more crap that happened over there, but I'd need a whole day to talk about it.

If you really want to chat with some U2 fans/Zootopians, I can give you the hook up over on Facebook if you'd like...that's where most of them went, and swore to never go back. But I need U2.com in order to get those GA tickets! So I break down every year under Live Nation's whipping chain, and give them my annual dues to stay at the front of the pre-sale line.

*sigh*

yea. but some, including me, think it's the same song

http://u2valencia.com/MOS/index.php?option=content&task=view&id=3145&Itemid=2

Exactly...it hasn't been reported as legit.

I for one don't want to listen to those kinds of things...it kind of spoils the surprise and/or it might not be real. And also the last time U2 accidentally leaked music back in 2004, it was all over the internet and even the band came out and said Edge's stuff (demo CD and CD player it was in) were stolen from his dressing room where they were recording a video or something. Poor Edge...he was shattered. Of course Edge is not allowed to do that again! The only other time something is "leaked" is from Bono's house in the South of France. If you hear the ocean in the background, it's fans on the beach next to his house while Bono purposely plays the new tunes as loud as he can...and he knows they're out there...he's so funny!

lol, i didn't mean to start a U2 vs coldplay flamewar! :-)

I saw U2 last summer on the 360 tour at the Meadowlands. Don't get me wrong; it was an awesome show, and I loved every bit of it. (I've also been a huge fan since college in the late 80s, and saw them on the Elevation tour at the AAC.) We were in the nose-bleed seats behind the stage for U2, so maybe that has an effect on my comparison, but I felt more a part of the coldplay show. I just felt like there was way more energy at the coldplay concert. (of course, just my $.02!)

-Joe

It's cool ;)

Coldplay did beat them with the technology with those bracelets this round. If U2 had those bracelets during the tour...talk about total over load Batman! And there are a few other things U2 could learn from their students as well...like a C-stage...oooh boy!

But, I do have to correct you with one small item...the Elevation tour was at Reunion Arena both times...in April and November 2001. My very first U2 concert was November 25, 2001...just two months after 9/11. That was by far the best concert experience of my life...and no other show will beat it. Even U2 themselves can't top it. It was so emotional.

Ok, that validates the theory I had come up with on my own.

And what's the deal with the food? When did nachos and churros become concert food? At one point during the middle of the set, I saw some guy walk down the aisle with a personal pizza! Really? And I'm still appalled at the guy sitting next to me during the Roger Waters/The Wall show who had to go get ice cream half-way through Comfortably Numb!!

-Joe

Huh?

I hate to be nosy, but where are you from?

Nachos have been in concession stands for as long as I can remember, even going back to high school football games back in the mid 80's. Personal Pizza's I think came in about 10+ years ago(??? not sure)...whenever they started letting outside vendors in like Pizza Hut. And ice cream...not sure when that came into the picture.

But yeah, I usually eat before the show...most times during the opening acts...I don't like eating at my seat. I think some people treat a concert like they do a movie at a movie theater...so I understand where you're coming from. When I watch a movie, I want it to be quiet (no mouths smackin') and free of people walking by...so because of that, I don't go to the theater much.

Nah...that's usual during their down time.

Besides...U2.com sucks. Fanfire/Live Nation just ran that place through the coals back in 2009 when NLOTH came out. They felt the need to totally revamp the place, and all they did was break it. "If it ain't broke don't fix it!" But yet again, after a new album, they feel the need to get a new program to run the message board. Well, after the latest one went on line, the place didn't work very well, and still to this day, doesn't work well. And the other thing that happened was people revolted after receiving crappy/unthoughtful free gifts...they weren't special. The Duals CD was music that every die hard fan had or could be bought online. There's tons more crap that happened over there, but I'd need a whole day to talk about it.

If you really want to chat with some U2 fans/Zootopians, I can give you the hook up over on Facebook if you'd like...that's where most of them went, and swore to never go back. But I need U2.com in order to get those GA tickets! So I break down every year under Live Nation's whipping chain, and give them my annual dues to stay at the front of the pre-sale line.

*sigh*

:lol: Live Nation is the devil. I'm still waiting for U22. aka one of the 2 reasons for U2.com subscription

I'm good with my U2 connections. @U2 is keeping me awak :lol:

June 22nd, 2012+The Best Day of My Life!!

Best. Concert. EVER!!!! Radiohead was my first-ever concert so the bar was set ridiculously high for me, but not only did Coldplay not disappoint in any possible way, shape, or form, but they ended up putting on a show more other-worldly brilliant than I could have ever even imagined (and of course I had only the absolute HIGHEST expectations for it anyway, as Coldplay is my favourite band in the world! :D). Radiohead is my 2nd favourite band, and don't get me wrong, I'm not taking ANYTHING away from RH, as I think RH & CP are both equally great in their own unique ways (with their music and concerts) but as far as just having an experience that makes you feel like you're in a whole different world and will send you into a blissful daze for days and weeks afterwards, Coldplay are supremely capable. The xylobands created a sight unlike anything I've ever seen in my entire life and every single aspect of the concert just absolutely blew me totally away. The way Coldplay makes such an amazing effort to get the crowd totally involved with the show, and watching the four of them throughout the show, it's obvious that they truly do put every single thing they've got into their shows, and really, genuinely, want to make sure it's an all-round epic experience for everyone involved. I always had nothing but the utmost respect for this band, but after experiencing them live, I only have even more respect for them. It had so long been a dream for me to see my favourite band live, and the #1 thing on my bucket list. :dance: Now my dream has come true and the #1 thing on my bucket list has been marked off (and I'm only 16! :stunned: :lol:). It's something that I could never, EVER forget...a truly life-changing experience.

And right now, it feels right to quote the lyrics of one of my favourite CP songs ever, Strawberry Swing: "It's SUCH a perfect day..."

Because it truly was. :D

And I'm still in a daze...:wacko:

I LOVE YOU COLDPLAY!! :heart:

Doh! You're right. I completely forgot about that place! :-)

I know...it's sad really...that place was the best for concerts...every time I drive by the empty lot, my heart stops...the place where I saw U2 live for the first time...all I have now are my memories...and Youtube.

R.I.P. Reunion Arena

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-gAXrSECMss]U2 - ELEVATION DALLAS, TX (Reunion Arena) 2001 - YouTube[/ame]

:lol: Live Nation is the devil. I'm still waiting for U22. aka one of the 2 reasons for U2.com subscription

I'm good with my U2 connections. @U2 is keeping me awak :lol:

Wow! You should have it by now! Even people outside the US have started to get theirs. You should call them and see where it is. I've had mine for a week or so now.

And @U2 is a good place too...Matt is such a sweetheart and the shiznit!

Wow! You should have it by now! Even people outside the US have started to get theirs. You should call them and see where it is. I've had mine for a week or so now.

And @U2 is a good place too...Matt is such a sweetheart and the shiznit!

I emailed but they told me it hasn't even shipped yet :dozey:

and yeah I love it over there, it takes most of my time :rolleyes:

That was my fear going into the concert, but she ended up getting really into it, so I was really glad.

Hell she LOVED Robyn too (I preferred Wolf Gang)

wat.

In all seriousness, I'm glad everything went well. They put on an extraordinary show.

wat.

In all seriousness, I'm glad everything went well. They put on an extraordinary show.

She wanted to listen to Robyn in the car the other day. This is my nightmare! :confused:

Was my 5th time seeing Coldplay, and yet I love their shows more every time (although I wasn't a fan of the audience. Just didn't really seem into it)

@Allegra would probably say it was because you were sitting with all the snobs! lol ;-)

Well, I tried saying it without saying it...don't know who's reading in here :P

But yes, if you were sitting in the lower balcony, you were among the most snobbiest people in Dallas...I didn't say all mind you! I know there are a few die hard Coldplay fans that can afford the lower level, and more power to them! It's just that most of the lower level is made up of season ticket holders that fancy themselves to every concert because they can...whether they know the band or not...or the lyrics. That's why I love U2 in this case and why Coldplay should follow...just let the floor be all GA at a reasonable price like $50 (that's what U2 charges)...let the real fans closer in next to the band...and charge an arm and a leg in the lower balcony (like U2 did for $250)...it's that simple! Stick it to the rich folks and let us real fans down closer to the band. Even Bono said he hates reserved seating because of this and got tired of the stiffs in the front few rows. So U2 hasn't had reserved seating since the POP tour of the late 90's. They've had GA on the floor at every show for the last 3 tours. Coldplay just needs to put their foot down and tell Ticketbastard/Live Nation that they aren't going to do it anymore. Shoot, even Bruce has GA on the floor. So I know it can be done.

I emailed but they told me it hasn't even shipped yet :dozey:

and yeah I love it over there, it takes most of my time :rolleyes:

Email will get you nowhere fast.

You must call the 800 number in the shop. You'll get faster service by talking to a live person. In most cases they will send you another one. And then if the other one decides to finally show up...you'll have two! One to play and one to keep under wraps. :sneaky:

Okay, so this is really late to write a review and show my pictures, but in my defense I did tweet the setlist live! :P First of all. I live in Dallas and this is my 5th time seeing Coldplay, the second time I've seen them at the AAC (I went in Nov. 2008 during Viva tour). I went to the 22nd show on Friday night and I had the best seats I've ever had for Coldplay, section 103 row U. Right on with the stage on Guy's side. Me and my friend were running late because of traffic and got to our seats right as Wolf Gang started. They were amazing! I saw them last year at T in the Park where they played the same day as Coldplay and I've been in love ever since. There were very few people here at this point and I seemed to be the only one up and dancing around in my section, but I didn't mind! Then Robyn came on and I distracted myself by talking with my friend and talking a bit to the girls who were sitting next to us. It was their first Coldplay concert. :)

Once 99 problems came on, everybody was up and ready for Coldplay. Then, the Back to the Future theme started we could see the band enter the stage from where we were. I was so excited!! The crowd exploded with delight when the Xylobands lit up for MX/HLH! It got the crowd up and moving, unlike in 2008 when it seemed nobody got out of their seats until VLV. As expected there were some wonderful Buckin' moments during IMP. And a TON of confetti. After this wonderful intro, Chris as usual, thanked us from going through the ticket prices and parking and whatever else we had to go through to get to the concert. Another highlight for me was when Jonny went out on the catwalk like the rockstar he is during his solo for GPASUYF. He's really gotten out of his shell! Chris came up and performed on the little plaform closest to our section several times. He also ran up on the back of the stage and performed for the people who bought seats from behind the stage, as did Jonny at one point. They really do a good job of trying to give everyone the best view that they could. Chris was adorable with his F***k up on the Hardest Part. LOL! I also really enjoyed the C stage set. It was so nice to hear Speed of Sound! I also really love that they just powered through the last few songs without the pretention of an "encore". Everbody who's a fan knows that their encores have always been planned out anyway!

Overall I have to say that this is one of my favorite times I've seen them. The crowd was good with lots of singing along and dancing, unlike some other times I've seen them. The band seemed to have a lot of energy and really enjoyed themselves up there. Also, the Xylobands have to have been the coolest thing I've ever experienced. Truly breathtaking! Now for some pictures! I didn't take to many, because these were the best seats I've ever had and I wanted to enjoy the show with my own eyes.

282609_10151013516523728_87464313_n.jpg

555912_10151013518043728_1846638562_n.jpg

394770_10151013519508728_1214521929_n.jpg

314767_10151013519808728_423545594_n.jpg

303541_10151013519968728_1162647828_n.jpg