✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Moment you realized you love Coldplay?

Lynn42

It wasn't until I was watching some awards show in late 2008 or early 2009 and I heard this really catchy song being used in a video montage. I did some research and it was Lovers in Japan :) Even though I'd heard Viva hundreds of times on the radio, and liked it, it wasn't until that moment that the music connected with me. It probably explains why Lovers in Japan is my favourite Coldplay song!

Then I vivdly remember February 09 when Chris Moyles climbed Kilimanjaro for Red Nose Day. He played Fix You whilst making a plea for donations on his radio show and it was a really powerful moment. So from that day on I gradually worked my way back through the Coldplay albums and here I am :)

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, mine is a bit of a long story, so read on at your peril :laugh3:

Of course, I had heard many Coldplay songs before, such as Clocks, The Scientist, Trouble etc. but I had never bothered to ask whose songs they were. I was just sort of dimly aware of this band that had all these piano songs that were sort of all right :lol:. Then I remember hearing Speed of Sound on the radio and it really stuck in my mind because I had just moved to a new town and everything was a new experience.

As I entered my teenage years, people started asking questions like "What music do you like?" and I would have no idea what to say, so I decided I should try to find some music that I liked. Now, around this time there was this girl that I really liked, and I found out that she loved this song called Yellow by some band called Coldplay. So I thought "Must find out more about this band! :dazzled:" But, I heard all the negative things people said about Coldplay, (y'know the stuff, they're "boring", "depressing" etc.) so that sort of put me off. :(

Wind forward a couple of years, and my dad finally buys me an iPod for my birthday, and I have no good music to put on it. So he shows me his CD collection and Lo and behold, there's this CD called 'X&Y'! And I immediately recognize Speed of Sound, (as well as Talk and Fix You) and fell in love with the whole album :D I decided from that moment on that I would seek out every album of this wonderful band, and ignore all criticism from anyone!

Sadly, by this point the girl already had a boyfriend, but on the plus side I had discovered an amazing band!

When I first heard Viva La Vida in 2009 I had never heard Coldplay before *shock horror*. I listened to it non stop for a good 3 months. I decided to check out what else they had done but only liked loud songs like Violet Hill and found The Scientist boring. So I guess when I realised I love Coldplay would be when I first saw the beauty in songs like The Scientist and Fix You. Now I prefer them to the louder ones :)

Like others, i had heard fix you and Viva La Vida but i never took the time to look into the band and just thought of the songs as really good but nothing more.

Anyways, my very first memory that i can remember of me really recognizing CP was from this video in around mid 2009. I can't remember how i got to it but i must have been searching for some type of music. So after watching it, i thought it was so awesome and i started reading through the comments and searching for the full video on YouTube and from there i kind of kept noticing more of their songs :)

[ame=

]
[/ame]

oh, and my earliest memory of me realizing "this band is fu&$ing amazing" was when i watched and heard Strawberry Swing for the first time :dazzled:

I wish i was older so i would have discovered them earlier though :P

I had Fix You stuck in my head in like 2008, even though I'd never listened to the song. I remembered hearing "lights will guide you home and ignite your bones" somewhere (was it on the commercial for the movie World Trade Center).

But then I only liked a few Coldplay songs and saw Lost+ on Youtube one day. I only clicked on it for Jay Z but he ended up being the worst part about that song. I listened to a whole bunch of Coldplay that day and knew I loved them.

Guest howyousawtheworld

Sorry if this is too sentimental for you guys but here it is.

I'd pleasantly heard the chiming beauty of Clocks, In My Place and The Scientist before but at the Brit Awards in February 2003 was the first time I saw Coldplay perform live on tv and I fell in love with them there, as I'm sure many did. The thing that I loved about seeing them on the Brits was the maturity expressed by their music and onstage presence. I remember the massive green laser that blitzed the arena and at a time when all I heard on British radio was a lot of average euro pop, Busted and being surrounded by friends who were only into guitar/rap music. Little would I have known that the pop music back then was far more bearable than it is today though.

The fact it was nearly 9 years ago and it reminds me of my last year in Primary school makes me sad with nostalgia. Sad that even though it felt like yesterday, the reality is it is much longer. I'm not as big a fan of their new stuff as some of you and a lot of music has entered into my life since but I had a nice thought tonight as I sat watching the X Factor performance. When watching Coldplay now as a 21 year old I still feel like the 12 year old kid I was when I saw them on the Brits in 2003. Lot's may have changed for me and that band in the 9 years since but some things, it seems, will never change. And all I hope is that tonight there was another 12 year old boy out there like me who had just found their favourite band.

And that is perfectly beautiful because they are in safe hands just like I was. :)

I had heard of Coldplay before but never really listened to them. In September of 2004 my friend dragged me to the movies to watch Wicker Park(which I didn't really wanna see) at the end of the movie, the most beautiful song I had ever heard in my life played... the Scientist. Once I got home, I typed some of lyrics into google and discovered that it was Coldplay. I downloaded any song I could find by them... within the next week I bought Parachutes, AROBTTH and Live 2003, downloaded all their b-sides and listened to them continuously. I remember they announced a tour date in Las Vegas for April of 2005 and I bought tickets immediately even though they were pricey because the show was in a small venue. I don't think I realized how much I really loved them until that moment I saw my first Coldplay show. To this day... everytime I see them live I somehow manage to love them even more than I did before the show :dazzled:

So my first expierence with coldplay started about 6 years ago i was going to my acting classes ( i was only 11!) and there was nothing good on the radio so i looked throughh my dads glove compartments and i found a cd! it was my brothers mix cd so i popped it in and the 4th song on it was "fix you" i fell in love with the sound of it it was just so amazing so i listened to it about 5 more times (my dad was not happy!)

So after that day i listened to that song all the time and i eventually ventured out my little hole and found more songs! and to this day im still finding new songs by them :D

but i realized i loved them when i spent nights crying my heart out over my latest heartbreak and putting that song on and just letting all my feelings out even though it made me cry harder it made me feel better :)

and when i heard fix you live i cried it was so beautiful!

but then eventually i bought all the cds and now my whole room is coldplay themed... :D

I remember hearing a few songs from Parachutes on the radio when it was released and quite liking them but I had only just left primary school then and still wasn't really into music enough to go out and buy the cd. For me, the moment I realised I loved Coldplay happened just after I was watching the BBC coverage of The 2002 Open Golf Championship. When they were showing the scoreboard, there was this amazing "other world-ly" piano riff playing in the background. I immediately sat down at my piano and learned the riff (without a doubt, I wouldn't still be playing piano to this day without Coldplay) but I had no idea it was them. It took me ages to find out that it was Clocks but once I did, I managed to collect enough pocket money to buy A Rush of Blood to the Head. It was the first cd I had ever bought. (Parachutes followed swiftly!) After that I was hooked!

In 2005, I went to the simulcast of Coldplay's 1st Austin City Limits taping...the only reason I went was because we found out Michael Stipe was going to make a guest appearance. At that point, I didn't even realize how many Coldplay songs I'd heard, other than the obvious Clocks and Speed of Sound.

We went for Michael Stipe and ended up LOVING Coldplay's performance and finding Chris very charming and funny. Then we couldn't stop talking about it to everyone we knew and thinking about the music. A couple of days later, we bought AROBTTH and X&Y, then a few days after that Parachutes, and then I found CP'ing. :) I also bought us tickets to see their show that February in Dallas.

I always regretted not having been a fan when we saw them at the ACL simulcast in 2005, because we've been to a bunch of other tapings and I know how special an experience it can be. Everything came around full circle this September when they came back and I got to be right up front. :D Couldn't have asked for more!

It took a really long time for me.

When I was about 10 years old or something, my sister listened to Parachutes and AROBTTH all the time. But hey, I was 10 years old, so never really listened to it.

Then 5 years later, my brother gives me his old phone with still some coldplay songs on it. In my Place, Politik and Yellow I believe. I really loved them, but still didn't start listening to other songs. Then 2008 came, and I was in the car with my sister. She played Death and all his friends and I loved it. She told me it was the new Coldplay album. It still didn't reach me :inquisitive:

Then a few days later my brother lets me hear Viva la vida. For some reason I didnt like it!!! :shocked2: But then I saw the Violet Hill video and it was love at first sight! (with the song and Guy :P) And now I'm obsessed. I started to listen to other stuff and I recognised so many songs :P

I was about 14 or 15, and Viva was playing endlessly on the radio. It was my favorite song, so I decided to look it up, and I discovered that it was part of an album from a band called "Coldplay". I recognized them as "that band that sung clocks" but I'd never listened to anything past that. So, I put the Viva album on my iPod, and the next day in study hall (when I was supposed to be doing my homework, mind you) I listened to the entire album, and vainly tried to hide my pitiful sobs during "Death and All His Friends". I've been hooked since then, I guess! :)

I had heard "Speed of Sound" and "Clocks" over the years, and liked them, but didn't investigate the band very much. Once the album "Viva La Vida or Death and All His Friends" came out, it was available on Rhapsody. So I gave it a spin, and the first two tracks, "Life in Technicolor" and "Cemeteries of London", blew my mind. A variety of moods on those two songs, from uplifting to eerie, from light to dark, interested me enough to explore further. To me, I was excited that it wasn't an album of throwaway stuff from a top 40 band, it was an adventure, meant to be explored as an entire package. I never pick songs out of this album to listen to individually, it's either the entire album at once or no songs at all. It's a story, a solid package....dark, progressive, heavy and superbly crafted.

Music is great, isn't it? :)

Sorry if this is too sentimental for you guys but here it is.

I'd pleasantly heard the chiming beauty of Clocks, In My Place and The Scientist before but at the Brit Awards in February 2003 was the first time I saw Coldplay perform live on tv and I fell in love with them there, as I'm sure many did. The thing that I loved about seeing them on the Brits was the maturity expressed by their music and onstage presence. I remember the massive green laser that blitzed the arena and at a time when all I heard on British radio was a lot of average euro pop, Busted and being surrounded by friends who were only into guitar/rap music. Little would I have known that the pop music back then was far more bearable than it is today though.

The fact it was nearly 9 years ago and it reminds me of my last year in Primary school makes me sad with nostalgia. Sad that even though it felt like yesterday, the reality is it is much longer. I'm not as big a fan of their new stuff as some of you and a lot of music has entered into my life since but I had a nice thought tonight as I sat watching the X Factor performance. When watching Coldplay now as a 21 year old I still feel like the 12 year old kid I was when I saw them on the Brits in 2003. Lot's may have changed for me and that band in the 9 years since but some things, it seems, will never change. And all I hope is that tonight there was another 12 year old boy out there like me who had just found their favourite band.

And that is perfectly beautiful because they are in safe hands just like I was. :)

wow, i think we must be the same age! I am 21 too, and I fell in love with them when I heard Clocks on the radio. i thought that it was the most amazingly beautiful song ever, and that it was perfect, it took my breath away, and got the chills. I had heard yellow when i was 10 and i think trouble as well, but i hadnt paid much attention yet, i was probably more worried about new episodes of spongebob back then :P

anyways after hearing clocks i went and bought the album. At first i only heard clocks, in my place and the scientist and it took me a while before really appreciating all of the album. but one day i heard the ending of politik and was blown away by it, and eventually the entire album. i think i was 12 . it totally feels like it was just yesterday, i always feel strange realizing it has been much much longer!

aww that last part you wrote is so sweet and true :heart:

Back in 2002, I heard 'Trouble' on a music TV channel - for some reason, I got it confused with a So Solid Crew song and thought it was utter shit. A year later, a good friend sends me 'The Scientist' and I hated it.

A few months later, I decide to listen to it again...and wow. Ever since I've been pretty much obsessed :P The Scientist has to be my favourite song ever now.

Guest howyousawtheworld
wow, i think we must be the same age! I am 21 too, and I fell in love with them when I heard Clocks on the radio. i thought that it was the most amazingly beautiful song ever, and that it was perfect, it took my breath away, and got the chills. I had heard yellow when i was 10 and i think trouble as well, but i hadnt paid much attention yet, i was probably more worried about new episodes of spongebob back then :P

anyways after hearing clocks i went and bought the album. At first i only heard clocks, in my place and the scientist and it took me a while before really appreciating all of the album. but one day i heard the ending of politik and was blown away by it, and eventually the entire album. i think i was 12 . it totally feels like it was just yesterday, i always feel strange realizing it has been much much longer!

aww that last part you wrote is so sweet and true :heart:

The first time you hear the ending of Politik is one of the most breathtaking things you'll ever hear! But I was just like yourself. Clocks was the first song that made me think 'what IS that?!'