✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

How has Paradise done so well?

Taz1853

Ya know, when Paradise was first released, well, first played in september I think, I liked it a lot. Then it got pushed to being ok, then when Mylo Xyloto was released I liked other songs over it. I remember for months nobody knew what Paradise was and people didn't like it for being too slow. But now? It's Coldplay's biggest song.

I don't understand. Nothing is a particular stand out in it. It's not lyrically amazing, and I can name a bunch of Coldplay songs which are better than it. I can't get my head round it really that other songs get ignored over this. I now tend to listen to it without people knowing and very very rarely because I feel a bit mainstream, which is sad.

When Charlie Brown is released as a single I won't be surprised if it does well. That song is amazing and deserves number 1. But paradise? bleh

I think Paradise just speaks to a different kind of people, new to Coldplay. And apparently, they all have iTunes :laugh3:

I also have iTunes but I will never buy songs seperately :) The album is beautiful not just one song. I think when played all together the songs bind but some separate don't work

It has done well because it's catchy, every time I listen to it I see myself unconsciously singing the chorous para-para-paradise, and at the same time it's not just an ordinary pop song, it has a beautiful melody and an epic string arrangement alongside the populars chorous and hip-hop beat.

I think Paradise just speaks to a different kind of people, new to Coldplay. And apparently, they all have iTunes :laugh3:

This :nod:

It has done well because it's catchy, every time I listen to it I see myself unconsciously singing the chorous para-para-paradise, and at the same time it's not just an ordinary pop song, it has a beautiful melody and an epic string arrangement alongside the populars chorous and hip-hop beat.

And this :nod:

I don't think it's their best song, (it is still a great one), but it's one of the catchiest ones, that's for sure. What's catchy gets on radio, gets popular, gets sold!

• 3 months later...

I got into Coldplay through Paradise (doesn't everyone these days?) and I can name better songs from previous eras (I'm think my favorite album right now might be Rush of Blood or X&Y), I think that Paradise is the best song off of MX. The instrumental is gorgeous, and Chris's voice is amazing as usual. ^.^ ETIAW and Paradise remain my favorite from the MX era, although Moving to Mars might be coming close to making that list.

Ya know, when Paradise was first released, well, first played in september I think, I liked it a lot. Then it got pushed to being ok, then when Mylo Xyloto was released I liked other songs over it. I remember for months nobody knew what Paradise was and people didn't like it for being too slow. But now? It's Coldplay's biggest song.

I don't understand. Nothing is a particular stand out in it. It's not lyrically amazing, and I can name a bunch of Coldplay songs which are better than it. I can't get my head round it really that other songs get ignored over this. I now tend to listen to it without people knowing and very very rarely because I feel a bit mainstream, which is sad.

When Charlie Brown is released as a single I won't be surprised if it does well. That song is amazing and deserves number 1. But paradise? bleh

Because other people have different opinions than you do! It's amazing!

Because, unfortunately, what sells these days are the 'catchy' songs rather than the songs with real emotional / lyrical / musical value :blank:

Hence, why we must deal with the likes of Katy Perry, Pitbull, and Nikki Minaj

You could probably fit Coldplay in with them too.

Because, unfortunately, what sells these days are the 'catchy' songs rather than the songs with real emotional / lyrical / musical value :blank:

Hence, why we must deal with the likes of Katy Perry, Pitbull, and Nikki Minaj

Is it just me or hasn't this always been the case?

Is it just me or hasn't this always been the case?

It is and it isn't just you.

Commercial music has always been about the catchy melodies and appealing lyrics, but I just can't help comparing today's popular music to the popular music of preious decades. In my humble opinion, 90% of today's hits are disastrous. Not to mention that they are all made by a scheme, it's like today's artists (and many of these have already had sucess with decent to great songs) just go to a hitmaker and order what kind of song they want.

Let's compare pop music's great hits through decades... Take a few 'club bangers' ... Off the top of my head...

80's - Michael Jackson - Billie Jean

90's - Rickie Martin - Livin' La Vida Loca

00's - Kylie - Can't Get You Out Of My Head

10's - LMFAO - Sexy and I Know It

Nobody can tell me that the effort and thought put in the LMFAO song is equal to the ones above. Not to mention originality.

But then again, we've only been in this decade for 2 and a half years and I'm quite sure there's something even bigger to come. As time goes by, the crap tends to fade away quite fast and only the true masterpieces will be remembered. (If we choose not to think of trashpop parties and 80ies-revival shows. I hate those.)

By the way, LMFAO sucks balls.

Well. Paradise did well because many people like it. It's a beaufitull song. However para para pardise gets a little boring now. You all say Paradise is huge because it's catchy, Viva isn't catchy and was huger than Paradise. Then Charlie Brown has to be huge because it isn't catchy though!

Well. Paradise did well because many people like it. It's a beaufitull song. However para para pardise gets a little boring now. You all say Paradise is huge because it's catchy, Viva isn't catchy and was huger than Paradise. Then Charlie Brown has to be huge because it isn't catchy though!

:|

and Viva is pretty catchy.

But then again, we've only been in this decade for 2 and a half years and I'm quite sure there's something even bigger to come. As time goes by, the crap tends to fade away quite fast and only the true masterpieces will be remembered. (If we choose not to think of trashpop parties and 80ies-revival shows. I hate those.)

By the way, LMFAO sucks balls.

But yes, there will always be crappy pop.

Is it too early or can we already state that Charlie Brown is not doing so well?

I'm kind of tired of Paradise, I thought Charlie Brown would come and Paradise would slowly fade away but now I don't think it is going to happen.

Maybe only a certain song featuring Rihanna can fix this. :rolleyes:

Is it too early or can we already state that Charlie Brown is not doing so well?

I'm kind of tired of Paradise, I thought Charlie Brown would come and Paradise would slowly fade away but now I don't think it is going to happen.

Maybe only a certain song featuring Rihanna can fix this. :rolleyes:

That is never going to happen now :( ... I'm huge fan of Charlie Brown... I like Paradise but I'm also part of those who were surprised when it came to Number 1 (it's great for me! since at the end is Coldplay...) but I also thought that Charlie Brown or even other songs from MX could've done better if they were properly released!

Charlie Brown time has already passed ... it was in the UK charts, and it reached it's highest when they performed it Live at BRIT Awards (close to the video release)... it reached number 22 if I remember well... It was inclusively in a better place than Paradise... and I though it was going to be like that and for that moment on it would continue getting higher... but it didnt... every week it was getting down until it was out of the charts, while... (incredibely for me) , Paradise is still there... now it's number 50, but still there...

:S And I agree with all of those who say that it's because it's "catchy"... even me, it got me when it was first released... but it was just a matter of days until MX came out and I found it it is not even part of my Top 5 in that album!

Saludos from Mexico!