✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Upcoming Chris/Flaming Lips Collaboration?

Watto

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

c0a13d19.jpg

Wayne Coyne Talks New Flaming Lips Album, Working With Ke$ha and Coldplay, Blood

Pitchfork: Coldplay's Chris Martin contributes to Heady Fwends as well, right?

WC: Yeah, we've known Chris Martin since "Yellow" went to number one in the UK. As the years have gone on, me and him have made an effort to stay in touch. When we were finishing up this compilation, I just texted him and said, "Hey man, we should try to do something." I sent him a song that sounded like it could be a Chris Martin-type of song-- you know, it had piano chords on it, and it was sweet and sad or whatever. Five hours later, he'd recorded this thing on his phone and sent it to me. You'd think someone like Chris Martin would be like, "We have to set up studio time," but he just did it right on his fuckin' phone and sent it to me.

When we were mixing Heady Fwends, all these people were at the Grammys-- Chris Martin, Bon Iver, My Morning Jacket. But even on the night that Chris Martin was at the Grammys, during rehearsal with Rihanna, I was sending him mixes back and forth saying, "What do you think?" He'd make little comments and sent them back. I didn't realize he was even at the Grammys until I started seeing tweets like, "Hey, you know Coldplay is going to win." I'm like, "Win what?"

Full interview: http://pitchfork.com/news/46048-wayne-coyne-talks-new-flaming-lips-album-working-with-keha-and-coldplay-blood/

Is that a good or bad thing...?:o

Is that a good or bad thing...?:o

From what I understand, its a good thing!

Basically, he thought that someone like CM (who is part of a world famous band) would want to book studio time etc. to make the recording.

But, in reality, CM just sang his part on the phone and sent it.

In a sense, CM is more down to earth than what he originally thought.

That's my interpretation of it.

I never read it as anything but a straight compliment. He was surprised and awed, it seems, that Chris recorded a bit right then and there without posturing or waiting to schedule studio time. And he was impressed by the fact that Chris was in the middle of other stuff (Grammys) but still took the time to work with him. Awesome, awesome, awesome. :D

I never read it as anything but a straight compliment. He was surprised and awed, it seems, that Chris recorded a bit right then and there without posturing or waiting to schedule studio time. And he was impressed by the fact that Chris was in the middle of other stuff (Grammys) but still took the time to work with him. Awesome, awesome, awesome. :D

:D That's how I understood it. It's really awesome :awesome:

Basically, he thought that someone like CM (who is part of a world famous band) would want to book studio time etc. to make the recording.

great to hear that :)

That's how I read it too. It's a compliment.

Is the record only available in vinyl?

And also, wasn't Chris trying to get over some kind of a bug at that time? Their Australia trip was cancelled b/c he was ill. Still he didn't use it as an excuse to get out of this deal.

Record Store Day Preview: Feist, Mastodon, Flaming Lips and More Offer Exclusive Releases

Artists embrace celebration of independent retailers with one-day-only limited editions on April 21st

Over the past two decades, with consumers increasingly choosing to purchase their music via digital outlets, countless independent records stores across the globe have been forced to throw up their shutters. Leslie Feist however, has a plan to stop this chain of events. "I'll wear armor and hold up a sword and stand out front of the independent record shops and just protect them," the Canadian singer/songwriter, 36, tells Rolling Stone.

Feist is hardly alone in her passion for independent record stores. Since the inception of Record Store Day in 2007, artists of all genres and backgrounds, from Paul McCartney to Wilco, and Phish to Pearl Jam, have helped contribute to the event – an international holiday that encourages music fans to visit their local brick-and-mortar music retailer – by dropping limited-edition, one-day-only releases made available exclusively at independent retailers. Record Store Day co-founder, Michael Kurtz, estimates that for this year’s celebration, on April 21st, more than 300 limited-edition releases will be offered worldwide, and approximately four to five million dollars worth of vinyl records have been produced for the occasion. Detailed information on participating stores and releases can be found at the event's website.

Most exciting for fans and collectors is that many prominent artists have begun to view Record Store Day as an excuse to indulge in their most wild musical fantasies. For RSD 2012, acts from The Flaming Lips to Mastodon and Feist have recorded and will release never-before-heard material. The Flaming Lips will drop The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends, a massive collaborative double-vinyl that finds the psychedelic rockers teaming up with the likes of Ke$ha, Bon Iver, Erykah Badu and Coldplay's Chris Martin, while Feist and Mastodon have joined forces for an unexpected, split-single covers project.

In fact, Lips frontman Wayne Coyne himself is still baffled by the group of artists he reined in for Heady Fwends. "Sometimes I look at the lineup and I'm like 'Fuck, who did all this?'' he says. "It's like a dream." The album was a cross-country expedition: The Lips joined the Plastic Ono Band last November for an upstate New York session; in February, on a whim, Coyne drove to Badudio, Badu’s Dallas studio, to record a cover of Roberta Flack’s "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face." ("Wayne is the Willy Wonka of music," says Badu.) Later in the month, Coyne headed to Nashville and tapped Ke$ha and rapper Biz Markie for the doomsday-inspired track "2012." Hectic schedules forced other tracks to be remotely created: For the swampy Lips/Bon Iver cut, "Ashes In The Air," Justin Vernon and Coyne digitally swapped tracks and lyrical ideas; Coyne and Chris Martin worked in similar fashion on the piano-based track "I Don’t Want To Die." "(Chris) sent me this little track and we went back and forth probably 15, 16 different times," Coyne says. "All the time he's playing shows and doing all these ridiculous things. It's a beautiful thing."

No release however, is perhaps as unexpected as the Feist/Mastodon split-single covers collaboration for which both artists covered a song from the other’s newest album: Feist takes a swipe at "Black Tongue" from last fall’s The Hunter, while the Georgia sludge-rockers put their spin on Metals’ "A Commotion." The project, which first came together after the two bands impressed one another while performing on the UK talk show Later…with Jools Holland, was spontaneously created. "We didn't really know how or what was going to happen," says Mastodon guitarist Bill Kelliher. "We just thought 'oh, lets cover one of their songs. They'll cover one of ours. And we'll go from there.'"

Both bands gave the other free reign of their catalog. Lyrics however, would serve as a guide: Feist says she chose to cover the rumbling "Black Tongue" for its "elemental language" ("It's all in a language that I already speak lyrically"); Mastodon, comparatively, went with the ethereal "A Commotion," Kelliher says, for its simplistic, open-book quality. ("We did as much stuff on it as we could to make it very Mastodon-esque – throwing open high-notes in there, low guitars and heavy drums," he explains.) Both are impressed with the other’s interpretation of their work. "I don't want to say they prettied it up, but they definitely put some ghosts in there," Kelliher says of Feist’s "Black Tongue." Adds Feist of Mastodon's "A Commotion," "It’s super massive. It's a wet dream to have Mastodon take one of my songs and put it into their massive machine."

link

"(Chris) sent me this little track and we went back and forth probably 15, 16 different times," Coyne says. "All the time he's playing shows and doing all these ridiculous things. It's a beautiful thing."

Because he is a beautiful thing. Uh-huh.

First Review I have seen:

"Bon Iver, Coldplay's Chris Martin, and Ke$ha (yes, Ke$ha) score golden tickets to the Lips' sonic Wonka factory on this exclusive Record Store Day release. Their fresh influx of ideas on The Flaming Lips and Heady Fwends creates new flavor profiles for the band's loopy psychedelic slurry: Ke$ha spews shards of sass over robot rocker ''2012'' and Martin's dreamy falsetto melts into the meditative dirge ''I Don't Want You to Die,'' while Bon Iver's ''Ashes in the Air'' casts its own woozy spell. Frontman Wayne Coyne remains a singular ringmaster, but here's proof that even mad geniuses need Fwends."

Grade: A

Source:

http://www.ew.com/ew/article/0,,20586109,00.html

• 2 weeks later...

"Heady Fwends comes to a peaceful conclusion with "I Don't Want You to Die", a mournful piano ballad boasting a liberal quote of John Lennon's "Imagine" and a tasteful, middle-eight assist from Chris Martin. With Coyne reverting back to the creaky, Neil Youngian croon he hasn't really adopted since the 90s, the song presents a fearful rumination of death that feels like the more vulnerable flipside to the life-affirming gospel of "Do You Realize??" But it's also a welcome reminder that, stripped of all their spectacle and high-concept strategies, the Flaming Lips can still win you over the same way they did 20 years ago, with a sweet, sad melody and simple, affecting sentiment. "I love the Flaming Lips," Martin blurts out in the recording's dying seconds-- and, really, that's the only thing on this surprisingly substantial album that feels obvious."

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/16522-the-flaming-lips/

[ame=http://soundcloud.com/slowonerveoaction-4/the-flaming-lips-i-dont-want]The Flaming Lips - I Don't Want You to Die (featuring Chris Martin of Coldplay) by Slow?Nerve?Action 4 on SoundCloud - Create, record and share your sounds for free[/ame]

There it is.

If you want to listen to rest of Heady Fwends, follow this link and scroll back a few pages.

http://www.slow-nerve-action.com/displayForumTopic/content/260950363210498883/page/14