✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What do you desire?

TwistedPolitik

:lol: or if he disappears then the world in which we live is HIS dream....

Nobody punch or kick him in the nuts :blank:

Sometimes, I wonder if you deliberately attempt to make your posts as nonsensical as possible.

oh god one of these people again jfhsjhdj

i know

this happens enough in intro phil classes

if i were hallucinating all of this shit, and nobody else really existed, i sure as hell would not be imagining up people asking the same stupid questions repeatedly

i think, therefore i fucking am

if i were hallucinating all of this shit, and nobody else really existed, i sure as hell would not be imagining up people asking the same stupid questions repeatedly

Hahahahaha! I must remember this.

I like philosophy, I think there's a lot to think about and discuss, for some it's completely pointless altogether, but I think we can find out a lot about ourselves and what we interpret about our existence, even if we don't have the ultimate answers.

But I like how you wrote "asking the same stupid questions repeatedly" because I agree there, some people are incredibly transfixed by philosophy that in any situation they resort back to the same cliche'd, pointless questions for absolutely no reason.

There was a guy on my sociology course (Yes sociology- what the fuck that has to do with philosophy I'll never know) who in seminars would constantly revert back to his theories on how we may not exist anyway. You could always hear him about to go into it and the road he was trying to take any debate, along with everyone in the class sighing, and whenever he felt he was losing a debate well then -nobody can prove this all exists anyway. Holy fuck. Thank god he dropped out so quick. We all thought he may have been an actual real life troll.

Now where was I? I don't know, I don't exist. :disappointed:

The possibility of us or others not existing is worth a discussion, but it isn't a practical thing to become fixed on. I'm all for daydreaming and wondering about the truths of things, but I have particular problems with that area. It's all too easy to become fixed with whether others exist or not, or whether we exist or not, but to "desire existence" is a ridiculous thing, considering you'd have to be sure you didn't exist in the first place, which is not a sound conclusion to reach from any philosophical argument. To spend one's entire life questioning existence (not to occasionally ponder existence, but to actually worry about it), without really being able to prove one way or the other or form a logically sound belief one way or the other, seems like a waste of time and a way to cop out of questioning other things.

Of course, that is probably because I'm pretty sure we all exist, and I've reached the conclusion that even if we didn't, even if you all didn't and I did, it wouldn't really change the state of things. I can respect someone being somewhat skeptical of existence, but I really do not understand the logic behind desiring existence or actually being convinced we do not exist.

I'm also pretty tired of the standard questions people ask and things people say, like "define (blank)" in cases where it's fairly obvious what the definition of something being discussed is, or "BUT MAYBE WE DON'T REALLY EXIST". I guess I'm just irritable because I spend too much time listening to people in my philosophy classes being stupid, not that I can really claim to be any better. :/

I agree with all of that, but probably most of all which is more directly relevant:

It's all too easy to become fixed with whether others exist or not, or whether we exist or not, but to "desire existence" is a ridiculous thing, considering you'd have to be sure you didn't exist in the first place, which is not a sound conclusion to reach from any philosophical argument.

Yes, there is no point in 'desiring existence' because you may as well just exist as you know it right now, with an open mind. "How can you prove we don't exist?" well nobody can, or prove we do exist, so to desire it is a redundant exercise, and it's a little selfish, you may as well desire things on this earth either for yourself or for other people's happiness.

There are more important things to desire which in this life at least feel like they exist for you or for others, like love, or peace, or a high definition TV with surround sound, or a speedboat, or a holiday resort.. am I still making a point?

But I like how you wrote "asking the same stupid questions repeatedly" because I agree there, some people are incredibly transfixed by philosophy that in any situation they resort back to the same cliche'd, pointless questions for absolutely no reason.

There was a guy on my sociology course (Yes sociology- what the fuck that has to do with philosophy I'll never know) who in seminars would constantly revert back to his theories on how we may not exist anyway. You could always hear him about to go into it and the road he was trying to take any debate, along with everyone in the class sighing, and whenever he felt he was losing a debate well then -nobody can prove this all exists anyway. Holy fuck

Yeah, it's a shame that that kind of cliche nonsense is often the modern image of philosophy. It seems like a large amount of people at best only carry around a blurry memory of intro level phil course material, and keep throwing it out because they don't have the care or higher brain function to see the relevant, meaningful, answerable questions that are still being seriously debated.

The possibility of us or other not existing is worth a discussion, but it isn't a practical thing to become fixed on. I'm all for daydreaming and wondering about the truths of things, but I have particular problems with that area. It's all too easy to become fixed with whether others exist or not, or whether we exist or not, but to "desire existence" is a ridiculous thing, considering you'd have to be sure you didn't exist in the first place, which is not a sound conclusion to reach from any philosophical argument. To spend one's entire life questioning existence (not to occasionally ponder existence, but to actually worry about it), without really being able to prove one way or the other or form a logically sound belief one way or the other, seems like a waste of time and a way to cop out of questioning other things.

Well put. You would have to be mentally handicapped (or just full of shit) to pose as being interested in philosophy, and still dwell on a question cleared up in the first few seconds of a high-school class.

If one-day I go criminally insane, I think I'd just hang out around college campuses, slitting those people's throats using a razor with 'Occam' scribbled across it in sharpie.