✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[12-Dec-2012] Chris Martin @ 12.12.12 - The Concert For Sandy Relief, Madison Square Garden, New Yor

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He wasn't there to sell his album, to sell the MX theme, so the MX outfit would have been inappropriate. I am biased, I am a fan of the suit. Everyone here who said the suit was appropriate and fitting to the event was spot on. I hate it when people underdress for occasions (even though Chris has done that in the past!)

Exactly.

I agree, he looked nervous at first. I loved the UATW arrangement but maybe that's because I'm a sucker for piano. I play a little bit and I'm gonna give it a shot, I thought it sounded beautiful.

It was pretentious. He's meant to be down to earth too. It was a bloody charity gig; he could have worn what 'normal' people wear. You know like the people who had their whole livelihoods taken away? Yeah it sounds a bit picky and of course its not just him. But Im saying it because he's meant to be against showing his wealth; thats obviously not the case anymore. He clearly put more thought into what he was going to wear than what he was going to play. Go back and watch the performance. Listen to just the audio and you'll see.

We need a thumbs down button. :rolleyes:

It was pretentious. He's meant to be down to earth too. It was a bloody charity gig; he could have worn what 'normal' people wear. You know like the people who had their whole livelihoods taken away? Yeah it sounds a bit picky and of course its not just him. But Im saying it because he's meant to be against showing his wealth; thats obviously not the case anymore. He clearly put more thought into what he was going to wear than what he was going to play. Go back and watch the performance. Listen to just the audio and you'll see.

I respect your opinion.

But, he wasn't pretentious at all. Chris was respectful, it was a special occasion.

I thought it was a nice touch to dress something special for a special occasion. For me, the suit didn't come off as 'rich and pretentious', but as 'I want every detail on what I'm going to do to be special, so it matches how important that occasion is'.

Also, I think the fight for equality (be it in a social and economical level or in the context of people losing pretty much everything they have) should be not by lowering standards, but elevating them. If you're fighting against hunger, for example, you don't have to starve, but make sure that everybody has access to decent and fair food.

That said, it was just a suit. No need to create a fuss about it.

I'm not a really huge fan of his performance to be honest.

I really feel like Chris is rarely good when without the rest of the band... he's just so nervous when they're not here and it definitely has an impact on the way he performs.

I thought Viva on guitar was a refreashing and a nice try but I would've expected to out turn a bit better. I really liked the duet with Mickael Stipe, very nice. UATW was alright but really missed Will's voice imo.

I just think he was a bit too nervous for it to turn better. And about the suit... I didn't feel like he was trying to show how wealthy he is. I felt like it was more like "see guys, I dressed up for you. That's something I rarely do, so if I made the effort because I care about you".

I thought it was a nice touch to dress something special for a special occasion. For me, the suit didn't come off as 'rich and pretentious', but as 'I want every detail on what I'm going to do to be special, so it matches how important that occasion is'.

Also, I think the fight for equality (be it in a social and economical level or in the context of people losing pretty much everything they have) should be not by lowering standards, but elevating them. If you're fighting against hunger, for example, you don't have to starve, but make sure that everybody has access to decent and fair food.

That said, it was just a suit. No need to create a fuss about it.

:thumbsup: I don't know what's wrong with the suit! It would've been awkward if he wore the MX outfit

I'm not a really huge fan of his performance to be honest.

I really feel like Chris is rarely good when without the rest of the band... he's just so nervous when they're not here and it definitely has an impact on the way he performs.

I thought Viva on guitar was a refreashing and a nice try but I would've expected to out turn a bit better. I really liked the duet with Mickael Stipe, very nice. UATW was alright but really missed Will's voice imo.

I just think he was a bit too nervous for it to turn better. ".

I was afraid to say the same thing..I didn't know if my opinion is biased because I am used to listening to these songs from a band not a single member. especially with UATW where every member comes in and adds a bit of magic into it plus it sounds so intimate & meaningful with the whole band performing.

Anyway, since Chris came alone, he had to do whatever he could. He was so nervous & his voice wasn't at his best. I felt it disappeared completely at times :confused: That became more apparent in losing my religion. Michael Stipe totally overshadowed Chris, he sang with such confidence & clear voice while Chris was straining & sweating trying to keep up the rythm (he played very nicely btw) but when they sang together bits of the song I couldn't hear him at all!! I am all for Chris & I loved the collaboration but nothing comes out perfect at the end.

I don't know how much rehearsal time Chris had with Michael, for one thing. Michael has been singing that song for a very long time, and I feel his voice cracked a couple of times. No one on the bill sang perfectly, except for maybe Eddie Vedder (IMO). Chris was nervous, his nerves get him on big occasions and whenever he doesn't have the other band members with him. I still feel that he did a great job and I am glad he was there.

^^ You guys have a point, he was nervous and a little pitchy. However, it was very daring of him to do those songs (since all three were not what he usually plays), and I think he deserves some credit for that. Especially considering who else were playing that night, and considering he was on his own.

I never expected him to do so, but in my opinion, he pulled it off. He could have been better, but he also could have been a lot, A LOT worse.

I think most people were expecting him to be "annoying" or "whiney" as the popular 'cool' opinion of Coldplay is, and everyone automatically jumps to judgement based on who he is married to . No one knows him for the kind, charming, funny guy that he is!

I think most people were expecting him to be "annoying" or "whiney" as the popular 'cool' opinion of Coldplay is, and everyone automatically jumps to judgement based on who he is married to . No one knows him for the kind, charming, funny guy that he is!

This is very true! I always get a chuckle when people say he makes a big deal being married to Gwyneth, which, of course we know he never does!

My opinion regarding some of the recent commentary/topics:

I think his voice wasn't 100%, but it was certainly MUCH better than some other past performances. I was pleased.

Regarding his attire, I think it was appropriate. He was there as Chris Martin, not Coldplay. MX attire wouldn't have really made sense. At other charity events, the attire wasn't Coldplay-themed either (even though the performance was with the band); take the Hope For Haiti Now attire, and the Crisis Gigs attire for example.

I would much rather see him over-dressed, than inappropriately under-dressed (like he was at Gary Barlow's birthday celebration).

^^ You guys have a point, he was nervous and a little pitchy. However, it was very daring of him to do those songs (since all three were not what he usually plays), and I think he deserves some credit for that. Especially considering who else were playing that night, and considering he was on his own.

I never expected him to do so, but in my opinion, he pulled it off. He could have been better, but he also could have been a lot, A LOT worse.

He deserves a lot of credit for the songs he chose which were a surprise, a pleasent one that is. Viva on guitar alone, UATW on piano. I just thought he was way too nervous on his own & way too fanboying with Michael Stipe :lol: He seemed like a happy fan playing with his idol (which is true) more than a professional musician collaborating with another.

But whatever it was, the one thing that gets me every time I watch him perform is that his performance was so true & genuine :heart: