✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

[12-Dec-2012] Chris Martin @ 12.12.12 - The Concert For Sandy Relief, Madison Square Garden, New Yor

• Replies 666
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He deserves a lot of credit for the songs he chose which were a surprise, a pleasent one that is. Viva on guitar alone, UATW on piano. I just thought he was way too nervous on his own & way too fanboying with Michael Stipe :lol: He seemed like a happy fan playing with his idol (which is true) more than a professional musician collaborating with another.

But whatever it was, the one thing that gets me every time I watch him perform is that his performance was so true & genuine :heart:

I'd say 'a little' instead of 'way too', but otherwise I agree. ;)

It was a lovely performance, you could def tell he was nevous ( He had no one to turn around to or interact with) But still, he is a great performer- he def missed his boys! He was genuine and charming like always and loved him singing with Michael.

^^ You guys have a point, he was nervous and a little pitchy. However, it was very daring of him to do those songs (since all three were not what he usually plays), and I think he deserves some credit for that. Especially considering who else were playing that night, and considering he was on his own.

I never expected him to do so, but in my opinion, he pulled it off. He could have been better, but he also could have been a lot, A LOT worse.

Even though I said I didn't find the performance to be amazing, I still give him so credit for him. It was a great performance, just not we're used to (in terms of quality). But 'knowing' him, it definitely was very daring to go there without the others. I'm still wondering why they didn't take part in this, btw.

I loved every second of it! I think I got used to hearing the songs as a band and this was so fresh, so vulnerable and honest - I got goosebumps and I am still amazed. And dare I say it - I have never said it, not even when he flashed his belly in front of us at a concert - The suit is HOT.:rolleyes:

It would have been ok for him to wear his normal "Chris" clothes....But I think it was classy and very respectful of him to wear the suit for this occasion. - WELL SAID!

Does anyone know how much was raised?

Danish freepaper MetroXpress on 14.12.12:

12:12:12: Sandy Relief

The Sandy Relief concert in Madison Square Garden on 12:12:12 generated more than 30 million dollar for the victims of the superstorm Hurricane SANDY.

120 died in the USA and Caribbean when the storm hit in October.

Among the names performing at the event was the Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, Roger Waters, the Who and Michael Stipe - so BBC News.

METROXPRESS / RSA

German text-TV wrote about the event as well and mentioned some of the performing artists, but Chris Martin was not mentioned.

Swedish TV4 Text, page 153:

Star-studded gala for Sandy Victims

Paul McCartney together with a reunited Nirvana, Michael Stipe of REM in duet with Coldplay's Chris Martin and Rolling Stones - that was some of the highlights of a charity gala in New York for the victims of hurricane SANDY.

The duration of the gala was 6 hours in a sold-out Madison Square Garden and up to 2 billion people are said to have watched on television or via the Internet. Local big stars such as Bruce Springsteen, Alicia Keys and Kanye West were also performing.

Danish freepaper MetroXpress on 14.12.12:

12:12:12: Sandy Relief

The Sandy Relief concert in Madison Square Garden on 12:12:12 generated more than 30 million dollar for the victims of the superstorm Hurricane SANDY.

120 died in the USA and Caribbean when the storm hit in October.

Among the names performing at the event was the Rolling Stones, Bruce Springsteen, Roger Waters, the Who and Michael Stipe - so BBC News.

METROXPRESS / RSA

German text-TV wrote about the event as well and mentioned some of the performing artists, but Chris Martin was not mentioned.

Swedish TV4 Text, page 153:

Star-studded gala for Sandy Victims

Paul McCartney together with a reunited Nirvana, Michael Stipe of REM in duet with Coldplay's Chris Martin and Rolling Stones - that was some of the highlights of a charity gala in New York for the victims of hurricane SANDY.

The duration of the gala was 6 hours in a sold-out Madison Square Garden and up to 2 billion people are said to have watched on television or via the Internet. Local big stars such as Bruce Springsteen, Alicia Keys and Kanye West were also performing.

30 plus Million!!!! Wonderful... Very impressive!!!!!

Losing My Religion was played exactly they way they arranged it, Chris mainly playing guitar and harmonizing with Michael in a few places. I disagree that he got nervous thus his voice disappearing.

Viva La Viva on guitar was cool but my favorite was the piano riff for UATW. I can't stop playing it.

I really loved his all set. This was a different occasion, so I didn't expect him to sound the way he does during Coldplay concerts.

The whole scene with Michael Stipe was so endearing to the point Michael felt moved and gave Chris a kiss on the cheek. American men just don't kiss other men.

Chris is a very thoughtful young man. Michael Stipe lives in downtown NYC and was directly affected by Sandy, yet he wasn't going to be part of this big musical occasion in his own city. Chris is the one who pulled him out of retirement to do this one number with him and according to many reviews I've read, it was the true surprise and highlight of the whole night.

He did the same for Richard Ashcroft at Live 8 2005 as well as for this Aussie legend who's name escapes me at the Sydney concert benefit in 2009.

Pretencious: Attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

None of this applies.

Not only was it a great performance, he was the only performer who said he was honored to be there and offered up thanks for that.

Pretencious: Attempting to impress by affecting greater importance, talent, culture, etc., than is actually possessed.

None of this applies.

Not only was it a great performance, he was the only performer who said he was honored to be there and offered up thanks for that.

Because he's class all the way.

December 17, 2012 - submitted by Cameron A, Canada

Q. Chris looked pretty hot (both figuratively and literally) in his 3-piece suit at the 12-12-12 Sandy tribute concert. But why was he wearing one at all? It seemed really out of character for him.

The Oracle replies:

Why not? Usually when Chris performs he's either with the band and therefore in stage "costume" but there have been other occasions where he's either appearing solo or as a duo with Jonny. His attire for those have varied between both casual and smart.

Last year, he & Jonny both looked particularly dapper at the Little Noise Sessions charity show.