✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Rate Atlas - and post your review

busybeeburns

Atlas is the kind of song that I think would make me crazy about Coldplay a few years ago, but that charm is now lost,they fail at making anything that I find inviting, I even find Chris' voice repellent at times. I've lost all the interest I had in the band and every new song keeps reminding me of it. I'm not sure what happened and if it's gonna change at all. Not even sure if I want it to. Weird.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Atlas is the kind of song that I think would make me crazy about Coldplay a few years ago, but that charm is now lost,they fail at making anything that I find inviting, I even find Chris' voice repellent at times. I've lost all the interest I had in the band and every new song keeps reminding me of it. I'm not sure what happened and if it's gonna change at all. Not even sure if I want it to. Weird.

Any particular reason why?

As I said, I'm not sure, I think my interest dropped significantly with the release of Mx up to which point Coldplay were my favourite band and I didn't know of many other bands,in fact. Mx was a vast disappointment for me, not only the album itself, but also the air that was over the band, Chris' desire to top the charts and become world's No.1. It all disgusted me and I started questioning my love for them theretofore, exposing myself to many other artists at that time. Now I found refuge someplace else, I can't see the band with same eyes, something like trying a much better taste of food and not wanting the old one any more. Well, kind of.

As I said, I'm not sure, I think my interest dropped significantly with the release of Mx up to which point Coldplay were my favourite band and I didn't know of many other bands,in fact. Mx was a vast disappointment for me, not only the album itself, but also the air that was over the band, Chris' desire to top the charts and become world's No.1. It all disgusted me and I started questioning my love for them theretofore, exposing myself to many other artists at that time. Now I found refuge someplace else, I can't see the band with same eyes, something like trying a much better taste of food and not wanting the old one any more. Well, kind of.

Fair enough I guess. (though I must confess, I just can't agree on the attitude thing, Coldplay have publicly had the ambition to be a world dominating band since at least the AROBTTH days.)

As I said in my own review though, this song sounds musically to me more like their "classic" sound than anything they've released in the better part of a decade, so if anything was going to bring fans like you back into the fold, I would've bet it would've been this.

You know what, I think that's just what bugs me, knowing or rather predicting what kind of song they would put out to win some fans back. Atlas may be a refreshment after so much time, but it's far from sounding revolutionary, which is perhaps what I expect.

I can understand that. It's hardly new ground for them.

Still, considering how many people have been literally begging for them to revisit that old ground, and the fact that this track has gotten a more uniformly positive response (both fan and critical) than anything on the last two albums I think it was probably the right move for them at this time.

Plus , in a commercial sense, it doesn't hurt in the slightest to be associated with one of the biggest things going in film (and actually probably all of pop culture) at the moment. But I guess that does kind of validate your argument that they're trying to be massive. (which I don't dispute, I just think they always were.)

I don't know, though, if that means Coldplay will stick to exploring a bit of their older sound again. I mean, this is a one-off single for a soundtrack. I think they may have decided to go back to this for the soundtrack because their older sound fits the vibe of the movie a lot better than the MX-era sound. We'll have to wait and see what they do for LP6 before we can find out what they're doing as a whole in terms of sound. Coldplay going back to their roots certainly isn't impossible, however; Keane went that route with their latest album.

I don't know, though, if that means Coldplay will stick to exploring a bit of their older sound again. I mean, this is a one-off single for a soundtrack. I think they may have decided to go back to this for the soundtrack because their older sound fits the vibe of the movie a lot better than the MX-era sound. We'll have to wait and see what they do for LP6 before we can find out what they're doing as a whole in terms of sound. Coldplay going back to their roots certainly isn't impossible, however; Keane went that route with their latest album.

I never said it did. The fact remains however, that even if it's not indicative of where they're going, this one track does harken back to an older sound that a lot of people miss, and timed as it is after several years and two albums than divided the fanbase somewhat (especially MX), coupled with the highly visible platform the film will provide it, I don't see how that can be regarded as anything less than a very shrewd move on the part of the band.

They may go with something completely different in the future, but here in this one moment, they've given a lot of people exactly what they wanted, and thought they'd never get.

So I kind of forgot Atlas really fast, really, it's a good song but there's nothing really cacthy or addictive about it like the riffs on In My Place and Charlie Brown or the chorus of Viva La Vida and GPASUYF. It's kind of forgettable really.

you're right its very forgettable. I've already started regretting giving it a 10.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...