✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Rate Atlas - and post your review

busybeeburns

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well no, it'd be insanity to expect them to please everyone, but from what I've read Atlas is being reviewed positively more often than not

Indeed. Nothing will ever please anyone, but this song has gotten more positive reaction (both from the fanbase and critically) than anything the band has released in an exceptionally long period of time. That counts as universal acclaim in my book.

It took me a couple of listens, but after that it's a solid 9/10 for me. I approached from the perspective that since it's written for a movie soundtrack, it has to have context and mood faithful to the needs of the movie. From what I saw in the first Hunger Games movie, Atlas fits the bill lyrically and in terms of its anthemic soundscape. The chorus may be simple, but it is powerful and Will's backing vocal in the final 45 seconds demonstrates his amazing range spectacularly!

I thought MX was overproduced and it's good to hear that a lot of the studio excesses of MX are absent in Atlas, although it gets a little bit too lavish in the final minute. The subtle opening of this song reminds me of For You, working toward Moving to Mars. It builds anticipation for the wind-up to a sensual eargasm that leaves me wanting more.

I think Coldplay has hit the mark with this one. I have no doubt it will resonate with Hunger Games fans who haven't heard of or paid attention to Coldplay. This song will whave two life cycles because of its tie to the movie.

Every listen makes me love it more. I'm confused by the way people desperately want this song to remind them of other Coldplay songs, or think that it's an indication of what is to come. And I don't understand why people on here are being negative to certain eras (especially MX). I've followed this band since Safety. I love each album separately and think the evolution in sound from one era to the next is incredible. I'm always surprised and elated by new Coldplay music. I love this band and I always will.

And I don't understand why people on here are being negative to certain eras (especially MX).

I'm glad you mentioned this because it made me realize I need to clarify something I said about MX. It's not that I didn't like most of the material on MX (Priness of China not withstanding), rather it was the heavy-handed production of the recording that didn't sit well with me. I strongly prefer the live version of every song on MX to the studio version, because the natural character of the band is far more evident in the live recordings.

You're right, they are more dynamic, but to me, Atlas is like a slow jam with all those good Coldplay feels.... :dazzled:

I feel like I'm in the clouds when I listen to it :happy:

:nod:

The reaction here has been great, the iTunes ratings are even better, but there is also some negative criticism of it being "zzzzz" and "too nice" which I have to agree with (Chris' "exploding" can barely constitute a minor fart).

So while this is fine I'd also like to hear something edgier and less goop approved on LP6.

that doesn't even make any sense. usual nonsensical coldplay bashing. I read the comments on another website and they were all referring to coldplay fans as "gay tweens"! you get the sense they're some fat useless oafs from kentucky who get a kick out of insulting people on the internet so they feel superior and less emotionally disturbed.

They had the opportunity to come with a jewel... The first minute is really nice.. But when Chris just starts to sing "carry your wooooooooorld" the song goes from 8.5 to 4 as vote imo, and I shot my **** :rolleyes: .. so finally I gave 6... such a pity.. it could have been really a nice song.. I've been keeping on listening to the first minute.. But ok, we knew in which direction they went in the last few years..

At least I know that they still have inside that thing that made part of us fall in love with them 15 years ago... (e.g. glass of water, moving to mars, the first minute of atlas....)

Atlas sounds familiar. It takes it's cues and various influences from previous Coldplay works, primarily their 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th albums. Yes, Atlas isn't a bold, new, direction for the band. And that's good!

Atlas begins with a piano melody that at first listen might appear to find inspiration from the piano-centric, A Rush of Blood to the Head, however the tone and overall feel of the instrumentation is more akin to the Viva la Vida era and the historical themes it exuded.

Chris' vocals here herald back to the band's latest outing, particularly to the song Moving to Mars, which was the b-side to Mylo Xyloto's preliminary single, Every Teardrop is a Waterfall. His voice takes on a deeper, more serious tone which works well at the start of the song as his voice raises to accompany the changes in pace as they take place.

The lyrics themselves however seem to be more akin to Coldplay's 3rd album, X&Y. They're upbeat, powerful, and emotional. Yet at the same time they maintain a sense of rebellion. Whether or not this is singularly fueled by the overarching theme of rebellion that Catching Fire represents, or perhaps that this is more representative of the new sound/theme for Coldplay's LP6 is yet to be seen.

With LP6 being the end to a trilogy of albums beginning with 2008's Viva la Vida, which focused on a dictator and then transitioned into 2011's Mylo Xyloto which loosely chronicled the rise of opposition and rebellion to said dictator, is it logical to assume that LP6 will focus on the conflict between these opposing powers? If that is the case, I'd say that Atlas is a fine example of what we can expect from Coldplay's forthcoming album.

The myriad of electronic flourishes found throughout the song primarily draw inspiration from Coldplay's 5th album and the 'Enoxification' that was coined by Brian Eno during the creation of that album. Whereas the production was somewhat overdone in MX, it works beautifully here as it is accompanied by a slew of other instruments and sounds, and where it doesn't take center stage.

After gradually building up throughout the body of the song, Atlas ends in bombastic climax, accompanied by David Rossi's glorious string instrumentation, calling back to the endings of previous Coldplay songs 'Politik', 'Viva la Vida', 'The Scientist' and 'Death and All His Friends'.

Overall, Atlas is a pleasant mix of both old and new Coldplay. It successfully draws inspiration from a variety of aspects of Coldplay's previous works and manages at the same time to entice an exciting new future for the band. 8/10.

that doesn't even make any sense. usual nonsensical coldplay bashing. I read the comments on another website and they were all referring to coldplay fans as "gay tweens"! you get the sense they're some fat useless oafs from kentucky who get a kick out of insulting people on the internet so they feel superior and less emotionally disturbed.

Wow. No. There's objective criticism and there's that.

Don't wanna go further into this cos I like the song.

At first, i didn't like the song that much, it was like the tempo was off (IMO) and i dunno, i was little bit 'meeeehhhhh' for the first listens but it has definitely been a grower for me and now i can't stop listening to it, i still prefer it from 2:20 onwards, that part of the song is as good anything Coldplay has released lately or maybe even better, that burst of music after 'i... i'm about to explode' is exactly how i would've liked the Charlie Brown "light a fire" part to be recorded. A very good song to add to the Coldplay canon, not unworthy.

PS: The lyric video was AMAZING, i think that me liking it so much now has a lot to do with that video, seeing the 'carry your world' part with the lightbursts really gave me goosebumps :)

Overall, Atlas is a pleasant mix of both old and new Coldplay. It successfully draws inspiration from a variety of aspects of Coldplay's previous works and manages at the same time to entice an exciting new future for the band. 8/10.

Great analysis of Atlas, Kalex! I've listened to the song about a dozen more times after reading your review, and I think you really hit the nail on the head about how they reeled in the "Enoxification"of Atlas with a balance of instruments and sounds as the song builds momentum. The end result is a song that while dabbling in something trippy, still sounds musical... and most importantly - like Coldplay!

Nice to see another Carolinian on the Forum :cool:

Great analysis of Atlas, Kalex! I've listened to the song about a dozen more times after reading your review, and I think you really hit the nail on the head about how they reeled in the "Enoxification"of Atlas with a balance of instruments and sounds as the song builds momentum. The end result is a song that while dabbling in something trippy, still sounds musical... and most importantly - like Coldplay!

Nice to see another Carolinian on the Forum :cool:

Thanks man! I suppose it is a little trippy isn't it? And yeah, I haven't seen to many Carolinians on here. Representing! haha :P

I enjoyed the song Atlas! I like the Coldplay songs where Chris starts with just a piano and his voice and develops into something magnificent, ending with what started, like '42', 'Moving To Mars', Everything's Not Lost...and others...

My only request would be to make the song last longer 'cause I'm sure they have an extended version of the song Atlas! It just doesn't end there, I can notice and hear it! Anyway the end is great, very satisfied and can't wait for the next album! :D

Well, here's what I think of it.

I like that this is a piano-based song, as I'm a sucker for piano. Chris' vocals are a bit weak in the first line; when he sings "saw," it sounds like he hit the note, realized he did it wrong, and decided to fix it. I enjoy the chord progression. I don't think the song really starts to pick up, though, until the first chorus when Chris starts singing "Carry your world." I love the booming sounds and the tinkling synths that take place, and Chris sounds great. I think it was smart to add the rhythmic cymbals in the second verse; it gives the song the impression that it's driving forward, which I think is exactly what the listener wants at this point. (Or maybe that's just me. :shrug:) The second chorus is a great climax point, with the addition of guitar and the use of bass drum. Jonny's guitar riffs suit the song quite well, and they're probably some of my favorite bits in the song. I love the use of strings at the very end, although I could've done without Chris' last falsetto note.

Overall, I quite like it. It reminds me of "Daylight," which to me is an underrated Coldplay song. It's definitely a step up from MX, at least from a purely audio perspective. The song isn't lyrically strong by any means, but I think the music helped dress them up a bit in a way that allowed me to not think of them so much.

This could change with further listens, but at this point, I think I'd give it about a 7.5.

Atlas reminds me a lot of the X&Y era. The preview starts with simple piano and Chris's deep voice (Moving To Mars) then comes the spacey feel from the X&Y era. I look forward to the buildup towards the percussion when I hear the entire version. I love it so far.

X&Y is my favorite album, and I freaking LOVE this song. I love THG and love Coldplay and think it's absolute pure genius and perfection!! (and, I'm an apologist, and do not care)

(and, I'm an apologist, and do not care)

Translation: "I'm a blind fangirl who will defend Coldplay at any cost, and I don't care if people refer to me as such because it's true."

Attitudes like this annoy me so much, particularly in threads like this where you're supposed to attempt at least SOME sort of objectivity. I mean, I know I'm on a Coldplay forum, but damn.

I hate that behaviour too, I've seen people saying that Coldplay could write even racist music and still love them no matter what. I think that's stupid, it's like brain washing
Wow and it's just as stupid to even think that Coldplay would ever write "racist music" :lol:

Hello we're the biggest band in the world and we decided to write hateful lyrics because YOLO