✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Rate Atlas - and post your review

busybeeburns

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love it! I love the piano throughout the song. I love how the song builds up. It was a nice change from MX. Even though I do love MX, I miss the Coldplay from the AROBTTH era that used more piano in it. So I liked that this felt like AROBTTH era-esque with an interesting twist. I'm listening to it on repeat and can't wait to hear this in the cinema so I can be surrounded by the sound of it :)

Personally, I think this song is their best work in years. :D Perhaps all the way back to the AROBTTH era. It's got a lot of the "old school" elements people always complain are lacking in their more recent work. Plus, it's just a damn beautiful song. The only (very minor) gripe I have is that the ending of the track does feel a bit abrupt.

I agree about the ending feeling a bit abrupt, and like you said very minor issue in comparison with the beauty of the rest of the song :)

I've got to say, while I've never been in the camp that thinks the band has had a sharp decline in quality over the last couple albums, the more I listen to this song, the more I find that my opinion of a lot of their more recent work may actually end up going down somewhat. This song brings back things I didn't even realize I missed in this band!

^ I hear A LOT from their recent work on the track. Chris' lower register at some points (Yes, Moving To Mars), the tack piano (CB, Lovers In Japan) by the end, the background synths (Violet Hill), the simple chorus (Paradise, Hurts Like Heaven), the drums by the end made me think of Chtistmas Lights, the bass of Paradise and Death and All His Friends piano. So I don't see that much of old Coldplay.

^ I hear A LOT from their recent work on the track. Chris' lower register at some points (Yes, Moving To Mars), the tack piano (CB, Lovers In Japan) by the end, the background synths (Violet Hill), the simple chorus (Paradise, Hurts Like Heaven), the drums by the end made me think of Chtistmas Lights, the bass of Paradise and Death and All His Friends piano. So I don't see that much of old Coldplay.

It's hard to put my finger on exactly what it is that gives me that vibe, it just sounds like a track they could've done 10 years ago somehow. I think this is most especially in relation to Jonny's lead guitar part. He's playing those sparse slide swells throughout most of it and then at the end he's got that solo that's spare and lean in it's arrangement. He used to play like this a lot, but that's really something that's gone out of his more recent work.

I was kind of so-so on Atlas at first but after listening to it, it's definitely growing on me. Despite it being similar to other Coldplay material, it's still very, very different. It simply has this very different feel to it. It's starting to make sense. If LP6 sounded like this, I'd be a happy Coldplay fan.

It gets better every time I listen to it. It's gone from 7 to 8/10 for me. Too bad I can't edit the poll :p

Exactly, couldn't have said it any better.

10/10.

For me, the song isn't about the lyrics. I have not read any of the books and have not seen the film, so not sure what the references are. It is a song from a movie, so it must have something to do with it. For me, the song is about the music. Chris knows how to do more with melody and mood than almost anyone and the band is brilliant at orchestrating the music together (I listen to Sleeping Sun on headphones and get overwhelmed by how wonderful it is every time). It is gorgeous.

10/10.

For me, the song isn't about the lyrics. I have not read any of the books and have not seen the film, so not sure what the references are. It is a song from a movie, so it must have something to do with it. For me, the song is about the music. Chris knows how to do more with melody and mood than almost anyone and the band is brilliant at orchestrating the music together (I listen to Sleeping Sun on headphones and get overwhelmed by how wonderful it is every time). It is gorgeous.

It's not about the film, it's Greek mythology. Atlas is the God who literally carries the world on his shoulders. Chris used to be a classic literature student so he's probably glad to write a song about that. I'm not sure if The Hunger Games books or films reference the same mythology, as I haven't read any of the books and have only seen the first film.

I love this song...it shows a great deal of balancing the same way that Moving to Mars did - and luckily puts this style of Coldplay in the forefront. Both of these songs took the sparse piano style of AROBTTH and used more complex progressions that recall Viva-era songs and then mixed them with the spaciness of the X&Y era. The drums, guitar, bass, and outro remind me of the hiphop/electronic influence in songs like Paradise and ETIAW.

What I like most is that the song sounds really epic and big without a great deal of synth or backing tracks. They're there, but it's back to X&Y levels, which are a much more optimal amount to me. This was also the case in Moving to Mars (besides its acoustic guitar part). In other words, it really sounds like Atlas is a song that is meant for exactly 4 people to play, and you can tell how each one is important - Chris has a fantastic piano line that unlike a song like the Scientist, actually moves the melody just as much as the lead guitar...Jonny with some EXCELLENT spacey stuff in addition to the solo, Will's drum line is pretty cool because if you analyze it, it actually sounds more like a hip hop song's drums but still fits perfectly...Guy's bassline isn't super profound but it still does the job.

Wishes for this song though: 1. Better lyrics as many have said - I think they were going for sort of a cryptic storytelling, but it comes off to me as disjoint statements. And that's not to say Coldplay hasn't been successful with this style, because they have - in songs like HLH, ETIAW, DLIBYH, and above all, Charlie Brown. I just don't think it was optimally executed here. Perhaps an extra verse and a more complex chorus would've done it. 2. A longer outro...the guitar-piano interplay at the end is amazing, and Will's singing is great too. It didn't feel abrupt to me, but an extra 30 seconds of jamming out would've been nice.

Ultimately my vote is a 9/10 since it is good in so many ways but is slightly short of perfect in my mind.

It's not about the film, it's Greek mythology. Atlas is the God who literally carries the world on his shoulders. Chris used to be a classic literature student so he's probably glad to write a song about that. I'm not sure if The Hunger Games books or films reference the same mythology, as I haven't read any of the books and have only seen the first film.

Oh, OK, cool. Didn't dawn on me, then.

This is my thoughts exactly on it. But if I had to say put it into a another coldplay era, I'd have to say parachutes. Which is definitely a good thing!

Gorgeous, tears at your heart, reminds you of old and and the best of new Coldplay. The Piano just flows like water with a beautiful beat that brings on to the chorus. The snyths are soothing. Feels like I'm floating when I hear it, bits of Spies, Warning Sign, Amsterdam and Moving to Mars. Waited to hear it today to hear it in full. So glad I did. 9 out of 10

I'm back after over a year of not posting because AAAHHH New Coldplay! I haven't had that feeling in years. And wow, wow, wow. Atlas was worth every minute of waiting. It's brilliant. Beautiful, stark, epic, hopeful... it's perfect for a Hunger Games soundtrack, and wouldn't sound out of place on whatever LP6 brings us. 10/10 for sure, so glad to have my boys back! :D

After hearing Atlas, I've got to say that the song is the culmination of all their eras. Even though many were neutral about Mylo Xyloto, I never regretted such era had dawned on us. They need that to expand their palette of sound. Atlas has the mood that may belong to A Rush of Blood to the Head or X&Y but has the elements of Viva la Vida and the beat of Mylo Xyloto.

The band do explore music as they try to improve their sound and legacy.

Epic.Memorable.Timeless.

At last... we finally have Atlas!

9/10

^ Yes, you are right. The boys did a good job this time. I think that Atlas is the best thing they have made since Viva la Vida (I mean the whole album) And this considering that the only songs I don't like from MX are PoC and ETIAW! (And neither Paradise, but maybe because for me is not as good as Atlas!)