✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Rate Atlas - and post your review

busybeeburns

I would like to call Atlas the first example of post-Coldplay. Its haunting beginnings go back to Parachutes but towards the end there is that grandeur resulting from five years of stadium rock, but it is used sparsely, not in a distasteful ETIAW way. The soundscape is beautiful. To me it is a good sign that Coldplay have chosen to give wide exposure to this single as opposed to Moving to Mars, this other gem which had more or less the same vibe but was removed from the MX EP in the end. Viva post-Coldplay.

I rated it 8/10.

• Replies 272
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohmygod! I think my vote was the 200th 10! :cheesy:

Beautiful. Wonderful. The very beginning with that piano bit, Chris' voice takes you to heaven, Jonny is a freakin legend with that little solo, the second half is incredible.

I really really really hope they will include it in their future setlist. There's a big singalong potential and it could work really well.

I hope this will be a hit. Since there hasn't been much promotion, we're gonna have to trust radios to play it a lot and hopefully get a video.

The song sounds like Coldplay, it's not a revolutionary song, they didn't experiment nor progress or anything, but with Atlas they do what they do best, except perhaps for the lyrics, that aren't the best Coldplay lyrics I've seen, but then again the music itself is wonderful enough for me not to care too much about the lyrics.

Coldplay is back, bitches.

Obviously 10/10 !!

It's a great song! I love that sort of contrast between the relatively quiet beginning and then the very very powerful ending! The piano is wonderful as well as the guitar, the drums, the bass. Well actually everything! Chris' singing is great and especially the part 'we're about to explode' really does it for me. It's very emotional and haunting!

It really is a sort of mix of a lot of their old songs' styles but it's also new and special.

Coldplay did it again, huh?! :dazzled:

Chris' vocals are beautiful, nice and mellow, and as with many Coldplay songs the tone of the song seems to raise the further it gets towards the end.

The bit directly after the lyric "I'm about to explode" where the drums come in and some heavy piano playing from Chris sounds great too! And as for Jonny's solo at the end, well, that's just Jonny Buckland at his best isn't it? The end of the song, particularly Jonny's guitar, reminds me very much of the Viva era; it has a touch of 42 & DAAHF with the guitar (in terms of a big crescendo from Jonny and then back down to normal level if you know what I mean?).

It gets a thumbs up from me! Very impressive I must say! But what else did you expect from Coldplay? They aren't the greatest band in the world for nothing :D!

10/10!

I am Crying .....This SOng is SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO Beautiful! Though the song is bit short I admit...I wish it had a piano riff ...Johnny is great though. I love the bass stuff and the epicness it creates. It is like VLV ers darkness mixed with MX era epicness....Its really beautiful . I just wish it was a longer song with a sing along or something like 'VLV' had. But Its very good none the less. For me it is 10/10 ! :)

So different to what we've been used to in recent Coldplay times, but a great song.

I'm genuinely interested to see if the new album stays consistent with 'Atlas' or whether it was very much 'Hunger Games' soundtrack focussed.

Good to have the lads back...and Jonny's intricate yet perfectly-fitting riffs.

I'm gonna ignore the movie and the possible music video so it doesn't ruin the feel of the song for me.

Knowing both the books very well and the first movie, I can tell you the song fits perfectly both with the thematic and the tone of the movie, so watching the movie would only enhance appreciation of the song in my opinion.

I just heard the song. It´s classic Coldplay, incredibly well-crafted and have you tearing up already by the first chorus! I could not give it a 10 because it is simply too short, but it fits the movie perfectly and it is just gorgeous. Would I want an LP6 ONLY filled with songs like this? Probably not but I think they have shown incredible diversity in MX: a band that can write both a wonderful hip-hoppish song and a quiet diamond like Atlas is a true artistic band, as we all know Coldplay to be :)

During the second chorus, are those electronic drums? With the low quality I can't tell. But I REALLY like the drums there. It sounds kinda dubsteppy, but not really..... weird :D

I'd actually really like someone's opinion on this.

in the low quality version it sounds electronic but after listening to it with better quality I'm not sure. right when jonny's guitar kicks in its definitely not electronic.

just curious what's yalls favorite part of the song?

the chorus and jonny boy's work at the end

I think it will be the latter. :nod:

Everybody is saying that but I choose to hope for the previous! I wish this tone is maintained in LP6 ...I personally wasn't such a huge fan of MX though it had some good songs. I prefer Coldplay when it does a VLV or AROBTTH . SOmething darker and more honest.

My favorite part is the bass lines for the first 'carry your World' chorus...

not bad. a step up from recent stuff. intro is best part though i can't make out the words at certain points and wish the lyrics were a bit better (i knew they were simple when they were first revealed tho)

i will give it a solid 7, i liked it and probably would listen again. the singing style seems to hark back more to AROBTTH stuff, don't know where people are getting X&Y from.

All I can say so far: Ohhh my gooood Jonnyboy :dazzled: !!!!! They really saved the best for last!!!!

I like the old vibes of Coldplay! Hope to seeing more of this on LP6. MX was amazing, but still "just" an era ;)

But I don't like:

the first 30 seconds

the lyrics, kind of, at least the verses.

But what I do like in the lyrics, is the chorus - specially the second one. I can imagine myself in a couple of months among all of you standing first row singing "carry your woooooooooooorld I'll carry your wooooooorld" reaching our hands out to those men :D

:loveshower:

I lower my vote from 7 to 5.

The song has to much repetition, done in a bad way.

That is one of the big gripes I am having with Coldplay recently. They know their strengths, and they know what is successful, but sometimes they almost lean on it like a crutch in songs. Repetition in lyrics bugged me at first when it was spread over multiple songs in an album but now it's expanded to this it grates me more.

It's certainly not as bad as recent prime examples (Paradise, ETIAW) at least

To expand: I don't think it's a bad thing that they utilize their strengths, but when it's just done in the same ways... hrm. It's hard to explain.

After first listening thought it's brilliant track for OST, but miss some craft to be great standalone Coldplay work.

But after a couple listenings more I think it's absolutely focking great song - although Chris vocal a bit dry and off, the music is wonderful beauty our band knows how to extract - amazing soft melody (X&Y), piano (Parachutes) and final guitar reef (something from MX), extremely touching and absorbing. I would say that Coldplay one of the rare bands nowadays that built strong emotional connection with listeners.

Fuck, can't wait for LP6!