✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Midnight

Telepian

My sentiments seem to jive with a lot of the ones I read. I was very surprised by the sound of the song, but love that type of music so I loved that Coldplay was doing a song with that sound. However, it is different than the types of songs I'm used to hearing from them. It didn't seem like there was enough "band" instruments in that song. Although I think it's a clue as to the overall sound of LP6, I'm thinking there will likely be some songs that sound more like the Coldplay I'm used to hearing. I was so dissapointed to realize I couldn't buy Midnight on itunes yet. I can't wait to hear the next release.

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The first time I heard it I was a bit in shock, but this song keeps growing on me. It's on repeat for the last couple of days now! Usually I'm not a big fan of autotune, I think this song would sound better without autotune and with Chris his 'raw' voice.

All I can say is that I"m glad they didn't stick the MX pop-ish sound with this song. I was worried Jay-Z would pop up in the next era.

I'm happy with the new direction as it's my type of music but is it Coldplay and can they pull it off? Only time and LP6 will tell. But for now, I'm really enjoying Midnight and I'm happy with this change in direction.

Also, Chris's voice WAS NOT auto-tuned! Argh.

Andi;5622991']Hopefully not... . Just as bad as Princess of China.

There's a lot of things that can be said about Midnight but to compare it to Princess of China? Nope. Midnight is far more complex in terms of arrangement. PoC's more of a typical pop song with kinda cliché lyrics, whereas this song has a certain 'pull' factor. It's darker and a sort of hauntingly beautiful. Just because it has some electronic features doesn't mean it's 'just like PoC' imo.

I love it. This is why I love Coldplay. They are not afraid to go outside their comfort zone and experiment with new sound and music.

This song is amazing, yes amazing. For Coldplay this is new and fresh and it's a reinvention of their sound.

And for me, this doesn't sound like Bon Iver's self titled album. It's sound like Jon Hopkins's Opalescent album released way before Bon Iver. I don't know why all the reviews are ignoring the fact that Jon produced the song and are all saying this is a Bon Iver song. I think one reviewer said "oh this reminds me of Bon Iver" and the rest of them all decided to say the same thing. I wouldn't be surprised if half of them haven't heard a Bon Iver song.

Guest kmm1482

Not the best Coldplay song ever. But with every listen it gets incrementally better, for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guest kmm1482

No. I'm not listening to it because I HAVE to, but because I WANT to. Big difference

No. I'm not listening to it because I HAVE to, but because I WANT to. Big difference

I didn't say you have to listen to the song. I said if someone needs to listen to a song over and over again to get used to it in order to like it, then they are doing something wrong. You shouldn't have to get used to a song in order to like a song.

That's treating music like cigarettes. You either like the song or you don't.

I've heard midnight a total of TWO times. That's it.

And I don't plan on listening to that version of the song again.

I disagree. I didn't like Hey Jude the first time I listened to it, but then I realized how amazing it was, and now I love the beatles. Same thing with Paradise and Coldplay. Some songs require a different mindset. If you go in critical, you probably wont like it. Listen with an open mind and you'll usually find you enjoy something about the song.

I'm not all that bothered by the harmonizer, but what grinds my gears is the lack of guitar. If this is indeed meant to be a "big" song for the album, then that'll make Coldplay one in a line of major guitar acts (Radiohead some time ago now, Muse, indie groups like Vampire Weekend and to a lesser extent Maximo Park) switching guitars for synths- and there's nobody filling the gap to create new guitar music! Jon Hopkins does nice production but I feel like the songwriting here really suffers for the lack of analogue instrumentation. It's just a collection of nice sounds. I hope it isn't representative of the album as a whole.

Lots of people are saying this is a "non-commercial" song for them to release, but really, using only electronics is the most mainstream thing they could have done.

I disagree. I didn't like Hey Jude the first time I listened to it, but then I realized how amazing it was, and now I love the beatles. Same thing with Paradise and Coldplay. Some songs require a different mindset. If you go in critical, you probably wont like it. Listen with an open mind and you'll usually find you enjoy something about the song.

I understand different songs require different perspectives. And if you go into a song expecting something and you get something else you probably wont enjoy it as much as you could have.

What I'm really trying to say is just because you like a certain band doesn't mean you have to force yourself to like everything they release.

I see some people who act like Coldplay is one of their friends and that they have to support them no matter what kind of musical choices they make and they think if you don't support every choice Coldplay makes then your not a true fan.

Those people piss me off.

I'm not all that bothered by the harmonizer, but what grinds my gears is the lack of guitar. If this is indeed meant to be a "big" song for the album, then that'll make Coldplay one in a line of major guitar acts (Radiohead some time ago now, Muse, indie groups like Vampire Weekend and to a lesser extent Maximo Park) switching guitars for synths- and there's nobody filling the gap to create new guitar music! Jon Hopkins does nice production but I feel like the songwriting here really suffers for the lack of analogue instrumentation. It's just a collection of nice sounds. I hope it isn't representative of the album as a whole.

Lots of people are saying this is a "non-commercial" song for them to release, but really, using only electronics is the most mainstream thing they could have done.

Agree 100%

I actually think this song is beautiful. I like this kind of style and that Coldplay dare to experiment with their sound even further than they already have. I'm listening to Midnight as we speak for the tenth time today. Perfect bedtime song. Leave the light on... Let's just see if it'll be a part of LP6, but I'm sure that whether it does or not the new album will be something that we've never heard before and maybe even something that we never thought we'd hear from Coldplay. So excited!

Guest kmm1482

So songs are only written to be listened to once or twice? I'm not allowed to listen to it once to listen to the lyrics, then once to listen to the chorus, then once to listen to each individual instrument? What about a listen for each setting; one in the car late at night, one walking around campus, one while studying. What about different listens for a different moment in life? One listen while in a beautiful relationship may sound totally different when that relationship falls apart. I didn't get the full bass until I listened to it in the car. I'm allowed, and I'm sure encouraged to "explore" a song and let it settle in me. If I only listened to a song once or twice and said "nope. Never listening again" that would be very very sad.

I didn't say you have to listen to the song. I said if someone needs to listen to a song over and over again to get used to it in order to like it, then they are doing something wrong. You shouldn't have to get used to a song in order to like a song.

That's treating music like cigarettes. You either like the song or you don't.

I've heard midnight a total of TWO times. That's it.

And I don't plan on listening to that version of the song again.

So songs are only written to be listened to once or twice? I'm not allowed to listen to it once to listen to the lyrics, then once to listen to the chorus, then once to listen to each individual instrument? What about a listen for each setting; one in the car late at night, one walking around campus, one while studying. What about different listens for a different moment in life? One listen while in a beautiful relationship may sound totally different when that relationship falls apart. I didn't get the full bass until I listened to it in the car. I'm allowed, and I'm sure encouraged to "explore" a song and let it settle in me. If I only listened to a song once or twice and said "nope. Never listening again" that would be very very sad.

I never said you couldn't listen to a song more than once. I said you shouldn't try and make yourself like the song just because you want to like it.

I don't consider Depeche Mode, M83 and a lot of other artist who at times only use electronics and create amazing music to be mainstream. Midnight isn't mainstream at all!

For me it's a OK song, I like electronic stuff but there's too much of it in.

btw, at 3:00 I really thought there was going to be loud guitars and drums kicking in :confused:

although Midnight could be really great live as a intro song...

If LP6 is to Coldplay what Zooropa was for U2, I'm fine with it.

All these "WHERE DA GUITAR AND PIANO?" kind of comments are getting annoying now. How the hell does the lack of a certain instrumentation make a song bad?

If someone likes a band because that band actually plays real instruments and then they suddenly stop playing instruments, then you'll stop liking that band. Or at least anything new they make.