✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Midnight

Telepian

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have to agree that a 10 seems too high right now, but it's due to the pre-album hysteria. I actually have a full ratings list out of 100 saved to file for all Coldplay songs, which makes it more precise. I'd rate this song, after a week of listening to it, about an 8.8/10. Clocks, Yellow, Fix You, Charlie Brown, Death And All His Friends are all 9.0 and up. But this song is definitely great, no doubt about it. You have to really have open ears, and I guess some people just don't have that. I love music in general, and this song is another great addition to the Coldplay catalogue. Not a hit, but a beautiful song.

I'm not gonna repeat myself from another thread, but seriously, a 10 for this? Then what do you rate Yellow at? Or Clocks? and Fix You?

It's a brilliant song. Obviously, its not a classic. It just came out.

This is the most intriguing Coldplay song since the Viva era in my opinion.

They finally take it to the next level, the song is dope and it keeps on growing on me. Not the sound, but the atmosphere carried me back to their first three albums, and that's great.

Magic is average but i do believe this album will be a great one.

I'm not gonna repeat myself from another thread, but seriously, a 10 for this? Then what do you rate Yellow at? Or Clocks? and Fix You?

Exactly, I think they're just rating a 10 because it's Coldplay and in their eyes, they can do no wrong. Obviously they have done some work that has flopped or is downright bad like everyone has. But if you ever were to question that to certain fans, you'd get labeled as "not as big a fan as they are". Despite the view of some, you can dislike some of their work whilst still being a fan, a huge fan at that.

One of two things may be causing it in my view: either they're trying to prove how much they love the band by blindly voting for them whether the song is good or not or they genuinely think the song is a 10. I for one don't think it's a perfect 10 song. I remember a week or so ago fake 'leaks' of the songs were appearing on youtube and 'fans' were loving how they sound except the songs were actually short clips from other bands. Somehow, as soon as you attach the word Coldplay on it, its a piece of art.

All that aside, my own views on the song have changed since hearing it. I actually find myself enjoying it more after listening to Magic and I can see now how well they fit together and on the eventual Ghost Stories album.

Guest kmm1482

I feel the same. There's at least 1 song on every album that I usually skip

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The first time I heard this song I though "what the hell?!", but I can honestly say it's growing on me. It's Coldplay, I've learned to love it. The thing I like about it is that it is so different to anything they've previously done. I don't want another AROBTTH. I want new music, and this is what they've delivered.

Originally I was not at all impressed with this song, but after hearing Magic I realized I should learn to appreciate it. I found myself humming "Leave a light, a light on". Simple as all get out, but it's what I love about Coldplay. Beauty in simplicity. I've come to really enjoy this song, and I hope there's some similar sounding stuff on the album. The only gripe I have is that there was no "umph" to the song at all. The beat picked up for a few seconds but then died back down prematurely, like it was leading up to something great but then settled back down.

I gave the song a 7. I enjoy it, but it isn't any where near the quality of their other hits.

5 March 2014 / submitted by Publius, United States of America

Q. All knowing Oracle,

What was the location of the Midnight music video? Was it anywhere close to Primrose Hill, or am I completely off?

THE ORACLE REPLIES >

Completely off, Publius. The Midnight video - directed by Mary Wigmore who also directed The Hardest Part - was shot in Los Angeles.

The beat picked up for a few seconds but then died back down prematurely, like it was leading up to something great but then settled back down.

This. I hope it's something related with the previous and the next song, and Midnight being some kind of phase between that.

This. I hope it's something related with the previous and the next song, and Midnight being some kind of phase between that.

I think this is a new trend to be honest. We have seen it in Magic as well (if we ignore the wonderful acoustic guitar interlude) and in Atlas. Atlas had a build up, but again it felt like it could have gone massive and it did not. I sense they want to break the Coldplay-formula of songs building up to massive sweeping parts and we will see more of that trend in Ghost Stories I think...

Personally I do miss the sweeping parts, so I hope Jonny will provide some killer licks to make up for it ;)

Only a 6 to me. Seems a "dance" theme. Very surprised after a long time waiting...I´m not very happy with this song... just my personal fan opinión. Chris please come back to your piano and your lovely sounds (like The Scientist)... :)

Cheers from Spain... :)

I like the song more and more every day, especially when I contrast it against Magic. And it seems now strange to me that in the beginning I thought it did not sound like Chris' voice when now to me it is so clearly him!

Same here :) I was like omg, what am I hearing.. Now I hear him clearly and the whole song with that sound of his voice brings a great atmosphere. I feel this song.. It doesnt seem dance to me. I don't like dance/trance music. It's too airy, atmospher-y and minimalistic to be dance. It's very electronic but to me it sounds very real and honest. Beautiful melody too.

Magic is sweet, but I believe one of the most simple songs they ever wrote. A huge contrast indeed.

Midnight live is epic (like I knew it would). I find it assuming when fans say it's going to sound weird live. Those who say that have never listened to Sigur Ros or Bon Iver live. Lol.

What I can't figure out is how this fits with the rest of the album!