✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Criticisms with the album?

I want to give you a hug right now ahaha. Couldn't have said it better myself-- someday if/when I'm in the same position as chris or any similar situation, I can truly see how Ghost Stories would be the perfect healing medicine.

You got it!! In the interview with Zane, if he didn't say it directly, he alluded to the fact that this music / these songs were his outlet for everything going on in his life / relationship. Like I said, he is bold and courageous for sharing this with all of us. This is a cruel world and people tearing each other apart over something as personal as this is just ridiculous. There are bigger problems for all of us. Give the man and the band a break, you know?

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kmm1482

I don't think this album was meant to be a large production, on par with with light poetry set to ambient music. Also, hence no big tour. For me, this is a big reason I don't like ASFOS, it undercuts everything Chris is trying to achieve with the album. Is this an album that will be belted out with your friends with the car windows down? Probably not, and I feel that's the point of this album.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Problem my friend is that Coldplay used to be cool or at least respected in the rock scene, they didn't try to be cool, they already were. They took a new direction, none can blame them for trying. Now, if you love the album, kudos to you! I think it's their weakest album to date. Hope next one will blow our ears. We'll wait and see.

PS: I don't discuss with fanboys. I truly don't. I suspect that being a fan and a fanboy are different things. A fan will feel disappointed now and then but will remain listening to the band (me). A fanboy will defend everything even if they know they are wrong just for the sake to be called the biggest fan ever. Not my personality. I never forget they are just people and there are 3 millions of bands in the world. I like Coldplay but they are not gods.

Problem my friend is that Coldplay used to be cool or at least respected in the rock scene, they didn't try to be cool, they already were. They took a new direction, none can blame them for trying. Now, if you love the album, kudos to you! I think it's their weakest album to date. Hope next one will blow our ears. We'll wait and see.

PS: I don't discuss with fanboys. I truly don't. I suspect that being a fan and a fanboy are different things. A fan will feel disappointed now and then but will remain listening to the band (me). A fanboy will defend everything even if they know they are wrong just for the sake to be called the biggest fan ever. Not my personality. I never forget they are just people and there are 3 millions of bands in the world. I like Coldplay but they are not gods.

Please don't call me a "fanboy" just because I love this album and you don't...

That is extremely shallow-minded, and I would expect to hear better from a fellow Coldplay "fan"

It wasn't towards to you. It was towards the one that say that we can't use our brains and used foul language to make his point.

To the people that have the need to just get personal, butt-hurt much? I don't know. Can't you make your point without getting personal? You don't know me, I don't know you. Keep it healthy.

I'm going to jump into the real instruments vs pushing down buttons and twisting knobs discussion.

... We wanted a truly Coldplay album that will put Coldplay in the place it deserves: faraway from critics saying that Coldplay is a band for teenies eager to please media and mainstream with awful lyrics. Did they succeded with this album? Nope. The critics and people involved in the rock world mostly will bash and beat this album to death. Were we expecting something more "We're Coldplay and we come again playing our 4 instruments and making songs that make sense for us, we're tired of being a super-mega-band that fits well with vanilla acts like Beyonce."

Well mates, this album actually is disappointing. You like it? great. Can Coldplay be in the same level with Radiohead or The Smiths? Not with this album.

If I remember correctly, Coldplay said that X&Y marked the end of a trilogy. Also you can read many news regarding coldplay new direction with music where you can read and hear Christopher Anthony Martin saying that they are NOT going to make the music we want to hear but the music THEY want to make and hear as they want to be true and give all they have inside and not stick into a category.

So now I'm going to say. If you are expecting the RAW coldplay from X&Y or if you want from AROBTTH, well they will not be like that, that's past my friend. Coldplay changed since Viva La Vida with Brian Eno. He was an inspiration for them to change to new ways of playing music, creating sounds and that seems to have worked inside the band head since they are not going raw anymore with any new song. Now they create a whole wall of sound with many melodies around a single piece of music.

I'm not going to say if I like the new coldplay or not but it's different.

You can not compare bands, you can not compare albums from the same genre so don't ever think you can compare albums from different areas of music.

In the other hand, Coldplay said that the music genres exist for one purpose and that's for music stores to try and categorize, but music is music, it's what you feel when you listen to it what matters.

Long time I don't write such a long reply in a thread but well

LP7 IS GOING TO BE GREAT I CAN SEE IT, I CAN HEAR IT ALREADY OH MAN!

It wasn't towards to you. It was towards the one that say that we can't use our brains and used foul language to make his point.

To the people that have the need to just get personal, butt-hurt much? I don't know. Can't you make your point without getting personal? You don't know me, I don't know you. Keep it healthy.

A. I'm a female

B. I'm so so SO SO far away from being a fanboy cause when there's the need to criticize them I do, The first time i heard/read the lyrics i was really really disappointed by them and still am, and i don't have problems to say that. When mx came i didn't have any problems to point out how shit the production was. I don't have problems to say how disappointed I was when they played the X factor finale this year and in 2011 (or 2012 don't remember).

C. I wasn't being personal in my post, not at all, It was a rant about people who think that Coldplay need to play "real instruments" and "play rock music" because "that's were they belong" because that's not true, they play live like a rock band but they aren't, again, get over it.

D. About that "Coldplay used to be respected" point. They are friends with freaking Dave Grohl, Paul MCartney, Matt Bellamy from Muse, Noel Gallagher, Bono, Peter Gabriel, people who don't have problems to praise them for what they are. A lot of new rock bands look onto them as an aim for the future, what do you want more? The only music scene people that hate them are those like Liam Gallagher and Thom Yorke, who are famous for being elitist about music, which is stupid.

A. I'm a female

B. I'm so so SO SO far away from being a fanboy cause when there's the need to criticize them I do, The first time i heard/read the lyrics i was really really disappointed by them and still am, and i don't have problems to say that. When mx came i didn't have any problems to point out how shit the production was. I don't have problems to say how disappointed I was when they played the X factor finale this year and in 2011 (or 2012 don't remember).

C. I wasn't being personal in my post, not at all, It was a rant about people who think that Coldplay need to play "real instruments" and "play rock music" because "that's were they belong" because that's not true, they play live like a rock band but they aren't, again, get over it.

D. About that "Coldplay used to be respected" point. They are friends with freaking Dave Grohl, Paul MCartney, Matt Bellamy from Muse, Noel Gallagher, Bono, Peter Gabriel, people who don't have problems to praise them for what they are. A lot of new rock bands look onto them as an aim for the future, what do you want more? The only music scene people that hate them are those like Liam Gallagher and Thom Yorke, who are famous for being elitist about music, which is stupid.

A. You can be whatever you want to be.

B. There were posts with extremely valid points regarding last album, instrumentation that didn't need the use of foul language or saying that someone isn't using his/her brain. Sorry to confuse you as a fanboy/girl. The language is always a good way to detect them, I guess it was a mistake.

C. I still believe they are and they will comeback to what they do best in the future. Working with overrated productors and djs will end someday.I seriously believe this, like the previous post, maybe LP7 will be what we were waiting for.

D. I don't believe they are "friends", just mainstream relationships. I still laugh about the Coldplay joke on Foo Fighters video. The only name I care in the bunch you mentioned is Peter Gabriel because it's f Peter Gabriel. I never said I hate Coldplay, actually I love their first stuff, I just can't get ver their last 2 albums which in my opinion it's just an attempt to please mainstream music, which in my opinion is totally shitty. I mean I couldn't listen to Beyonce even if you pay me, something that many people in this forum are pretty used to (to listen to Beyonce or Justin Timberlake). Maybe the reason is that I'm a complete rocker and that's why I dislike so much their last 2 albums. We will see in the future.

Be careful what you wish for. An electronically-infused dreamscape record totally beats a heartless replication of the past. We've all seen bands re-make records before, and THAT would be a sad moment for Coldplay. Thankfully, Ghost Stories and MX are signs of them being unsatisfied with traditional thinking.

Guest kmm1482

I think Ghost Story is them reverting back to a (certain extent) Rush of Blood-ish type sound while still sounding fresh. You can update YOUR sound, but to change it feeling like that's what sells, is a very bad move

You can update YOUR sound, but to change it feeling like that's what sells, is a very bad move

Thanks God we don't have a song called A Sky Full of Stars then.

And whoever come to me with "Chris said he doesn't want to oversell this album", deal with this:

Bol4IO3IcAAwiwR.jpg

BohJOBTIYAAyf8d.jpg

Bogvyr7IgAEY6TH.jpg

BoQmCJVIUAE7XGI.jpg

BoQcr4GIEAEDCak.jpg

BoaDaedIQAEPyHS.jpg

BoE1HqbIQAAodfx.jpg

Bn_LYLPIEAAOym_.jpg

Guest kmm1482

And we're seeing how sky full of stars is being received.

Guest kmm1482

The song is not NEARLY as accepted and critically received as songs like Yellow, Clocks, Fix You or Viva La Vida. You can't argue that

Guest kmm1482

Just look at most of the Coldplaying boards. ASFOS won't have the effect as those songs

Guest kmm1482

Those other songs didn't use an 'of the moment artist' to pander to the 'sound of the moment'

Guest kmm1482
What doesn't mean they did not try.

Indeed.

I don't know exactly what you mean by this

I don't know exactly what you mean by this

ASFoS not being as successful as those songs doesn't mean Coldplay didn't want it to. They did want it actually. Chris said it on Zane. Not the actual phrase but as meaningful as "We don't have that song, we don't have that song, so ASFoS was born".

He uses something like "Song E" or "Song A" to describe that. I don't know, I couldn't fully understand what he said;

Those other songs didn't use an 'of the moment artist' to pander to the 'sound of the moment'

What brings us back to "making what sells".

Guest kmm1482

I understand that. What I'm saying is is if you stop being true to yourself and make music that you think others want to hear. I really didn't mean Coldplay in general, just as an artist as a whole