✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Criticisms with the album?

I have no idea why people are saying they want total rehashes of old albums - chances are if it happened people would complain about it.

One of the understated ways that Coldplay has grown is the range of style/colors in their sound. Although Parachutes and Rush are the foundation to their sound, I find it much easier to play those albums in the background. Viva, MX, and Ghost Stories feel more like theatrical productions that can't be ignored.

Honestly, I'm really glad that Radiohead didn't recreate their first two albums. You may not like all their records, but at least they each had their own soul. And for that matter, I don't think Coldplay has ever put as much heart into their music as now. Cheers to the vibrant future:)

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest kmm1482
I have no idea why people are saying they want total rehashes of old albums - chances are if it happened people would complain about it.

I think there's a difference between "rehashing" and "reconnecting" with an initial sound. I wouldn't want it to be forced, but to step back and see that they're a GREAT band that doesn't ALWAYS need drum machines and synths. That they broke into the world with a more raw, emotional sound. But yeah, a song called 'Yellow Again' with lyrics like "Look at the stars again, look how how they still shine for you" would be horrific.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 weeks later...

I love Ghost Stories, I really do. I think it's a shame the album appears to be about Chris' break-up. You can definitely tell the album is about a break-up if that's how you want to perceive it. I think it would be ok if the album was by a solo artist and was about their break-up. I can imagine that making the album and performing songs from it would be therapeutic for Chris. Not only him, but other people going through difficult times of any sort. I wish Guy, Jonny and Will had included some part of their life in the album. Then again it is a very personal thing and would make them feel vulnerable and exposed. The album may be inspired by all 4 of the guys' lives, we never know.

Also, I found Sky Full of Stars bizarre when I heard it and don't feel like it belongs on Ghost Stories. It's too up-beat, whereas the rest of the album is dark and slightly eerie. The song has grown on me though and does make me smile, especially after seeing it performed live and the "Woo" bit at the end of the song in live performances when everyone joins in.

x

• 1 month later...

^Which reminds me, I ought to revoke some of my criticisms. I had really high expectations for Ghost Stories after Midnight and Magic were dropped because they are just stellar tracks. When I first heard the iTunes release though I was super disappointed. I thought ASFOS was going to be the best thing ever but, well, you know what happened. Ink was just meh to me and True Love epitomized the sound I didn't want Coldplay to follow. After listening about ten times I decided it was my least favourite Coldplay record.

But now, with the benefit of hindsight, I have to say I really like Ghost Stories as much as I liked MX. Ink is probably the most infectious and instantly happy song to me and I even have softened up a little to True Love. ASFOS is on the radio every two seconds where I am from, and I have to say, compared to the rest of Top 40 pop, it isn't half bad to hear Chris Martin and a piano :)

I guess my only final complaint now that I have made up my mind on the album is that the production is too perfect. Songs that I otherwise would have loved until the end of time were just too clean for me. Oceans hardly feels raw like Parachutes, and Fly On barely feels as atmospheric and sincere as AROBTTH. But that is pretty much it for me, the tracks are all pretty catchy, beautiful and well produced. I just think more live instrumentation and better recording would have made it better for me.

I guess my only final complaint now that I have made up my mind on the album is that the production is too perfect. Songs that I otherwise would have loved until the end of time were just too clean for me. Oceans hardly feels raw like Parachutes, and Fly On barely feels as atmospheric and sincere as AROBTTH. But that is pretty much it for me, the tracks are all pretty catchy, beautiful and well produced. I just think more live instrumentation and better recording would have made it better for me.

Coldplay are definitely entering an age of maturity and precision when it comes to production. Despite the solipsism surrounding Chris' lyrics and songwriting, this record features a surprising amount of experimentation by the full band. Each and every song features some unique offering from each member. I think the most interesting are Will's contributions. The variety of electric and acoustic drums—almost all of which he plays live—make for a completely new pulse on this album. I agree that the blatant an easy criticism is the lack of human element.

The truth is that as the boys get older, they'll want to be involved in the industry in many ways. Just as Guy as has done some producing himself, I imagine the rest of the band will also work in the studio as mentors in various ways. Ghost Stories, along with Mylo Xyloto, are models of expertise that show these guys know how to make grammy-winning rock albums.

Having all that said, there's no doubt in my mind that Coldplay will be back with something with a bit more depth and vigor!

The melodies are pretty good, but the end result is just bland, flat. I like all the songs, but I don't really love them, maybe only Midnitght which is great.

Think you've pretty much nailed it there. "I like all the songs, but I don't really love them"

Definitely feels like an album that needed to be made. I've got no qualms with the production, and have to say that I find the ethereal synth haze of this album perfectly suits it. We can't kid ourselves that this would have been Parachutes MKII without it, as the songs just aren't strong enough. they're pretty much all 7 or 8/10 with a few higher ones chucked in. Its a weird one as its a great flowing body of work, more like Viva than MX but it is just missing a few of the 'classic' Coldplay hits. Sorta feels more like an extended EP than an album :\

Think you've pretty much nailed it there. "I like all the songs, but I don't really love them"

Definitely feels like an album that needed to be made. I've got no qualms with the production, and have to say that I find the ethereal synth haze of this album perfectly suits it. We can't kid ourselves that this would have been Parachutes MKII without it, as the songs just aren't strong enough. they're pretty much all 7 or 8/10 with a few higher ones chucked in. Its a weird one as its a great flowing body of work, more like Viva than MX but it is just missing a few of the 'classic' Coldplay hits. Sorta feels more like an extended EP than an album :\

Thank you. I read far too many times on this forum, that people find GS very much to be like Parachutes.. How on earth... can they be on the same level: Spies, Dont panic, Sparks, yellow vs. Ink, anothers arms, magic, sky full of stars.. omg! I can imagen that people love GS, relate to it... feel it's more special than MX, but seriously.. can we stop putting these 2 together. Parachutes is nostalgic, memorable, true, honest, raw, classic, clean, just one of the best debuts albums ever. Every song on it is incredible, it's music that you just embrace, that get this special place in your heart. GS is nice, but the songs dont compare, most are a lot weaker. And yes, it's missing classics.

GS would have been stronger if the production would have been more raw. I love the version Chris did from Always in my head at Sirius FM. Very beautiful, so much better without the glossy polishing.

• 1 month later...

^I just wonder where it would have fit in. I think the album flows really well as is, and maybe they just couldn't contextualize it within the all the electronics. I personally like it as a B-side because for me it is just too acoustic and guitar slappy to fit in.

Plus, and I know I am a minority hear, I just don't think the song is fully fleshed out. I haven't really returned to it as much as I thought I might, Chris' falsetto just kind of annoys me. Instrumentally and production wise, it is a great track though.

• 1 month later...
Rolling Stone just ranked Ghost Stories at #48 on their top 50 best albums of 2014. I still don't understand why so many critics hated it. (By the way, U2's new album Songs of Innocence was #1 on that list).

I am super surprised Ghost Stories made a top 50 list this year! That is pretty cool! I never understood how sites rank best albums, I mean, I usually have 10 per year that I adore but I usually don't necessarily have a favorite. I like to look at these lists as "50 Great (Better than average) albums of 2014" If that makes sense.

hahaha but more surprised Songs of Innocence got #1. Rolling Stone was the only site all year to love that album. I personally didn't like it at all. Joey Ramone is good though, and the once Chris is on is really good too.

I am super surprised Ghost Stories made a top 50 list this year! That is pretty cool! I never understood how sites rank best albums, I mean, I usually have 10 per year that I adore but I usually don't necessarily have a favorite. I like to look at these lists as "50 Great (Better than average) albums of 2014" If that makes sense.

hahaha but more surprised Songs of Innocence got #1. Rolling Stone was the only site all year to love that album. I personally didn't like it at all. Joey Ramone is good though, and the once Chris is on is really good too.

Haha, yeah. Not a lot of people really liked Songs of Innocence, mainly because they just didn't want it on their iPhones. I agree with you though, The Miracle and Iris are the two best songs on the album.

Still don't get why Ghost story was not put on the album

I can't agree with you enough. Ghost Story was brilliant, and most importantly, it was the TITLE TRACK! Parachutes had a song called Parachutes, AROBTTH had a song called AROBTTH X&Y had a song called X&Y (and a B-side beginning with the line X&Y), VLVODAAHF had not one but TWO title tracks (VLV and DAAHF), and Mylo Xyloto had a stupid filler track called Mylo Xyloto. This really breaks up the tradition of Coldplay always having a title track in each LP.

• 4 weeks later...
Still don't get why Ghost story was not put on the album

It simply doesnt fit in the tracklist.

The album flows great the way it is. So i understand there choice completely, i would have done the same.

Moving To Mars for example, also doesnt fit the tracklist of MX.

• 2 weeks later...