✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Criticisms with the album?

• Replies 557
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I really like this album but the song Ink just doesn't click with me. It's like the hardest part.. It's lyrics seem suited for a sad slow song but it's upbeat and just seems kinda weird.

GOT A TATTOO AND THE PAIN'S ALRIGHT

I don't understand all the hate on this album. I have not been able to stop listening to it for the past two days. As far as the criticism goes over the lyrics go back and listen to their discography and they are very similar. The man has gone through a separation and I love the fact that he has been blunt about it in his lyrics. There is hope to be found on this album and i think with all of Coldplay's releases there has never been a single one that was understood upon first listen. Best listened to with headphones, layers on the songs and music is incredible.

Watching that live leak from 2005 on MTV made me miss the guys just pounding away on their instruments with no synths or over-electronicness. I miss the days of them just playing. Like the start of Square One or Yellow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm sorry, but this is all over the album. Just because a few songs have electronic elements doesn't mean they've ditched it. Ink, True Love, Ghost Story, and Always In My Head are fine examples.

Guest kmm1482
I'm sorry, but this is all over the album. Just because a few songs have electronic elements doesn't mean they've ditched it. Ink, True Love, Ghost Story, and Always In My Head are fine examples.

No need to apologize. Go back and watch those songs played live, then listen to a song like Always in My Head

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I feel that the band is tiring themselves out in this. Chris especially has lost a good measure of his falsetto. No matter how pretty the music sounds, Chris just does not sound believable at all. His unsubtle songwriting, while it has made great songs in the past, works against him. The ambient production strays and turns to nowhere, and it adds nothing to the minimal approach. I understand if they want to make the album to be as timely as possible to the current EBM and atmospheric indie trends, but they feel so distant. I will always like Coldplay for making unique changes to their lineup, but I feel disappointed in this album. This is Coldplay at its most conservative, and it hurts to see them go this path. That's my two cents.

It's crazy how much this album grew on me. When I first heard Magic I wasn't impressed at all, and the live versions of AIMH and AA didn't grab me at first either. But for some reason, after a few more listens and especially after hearing the album it in it's entirety....I feel like this is one of their best since AROBTTH. This might sound tacky but listening to these songs at night while gazing at the stars made me appreciate and realize how good this record is. Thing is, this album is a big gear change from Viva and Mylo and it took me a while to adjust. It's much more mellow and atmospheric.

I feel that the band is tiring themselves out in this. Chris especially has lost a good measure of his falsetto. No matter how pretty the music sounds, Chris just does not sound believable at all. His unsubtle songwriting, while it has made great songs in the past, works against him. The ambient production strays and turns to nowhere, and it adds nothing to the minimal approach. I understand if they want to make the album to be as timely as possible to the current EBM and atmospheric indie trends, but they feel so distant. I will always like Coldplay for making unique changes to their lineup, but I feel disappointed in this album. This is Coldplay at its most conservative, and it hurts to see them go this path. That's my two cents.

I have been reading reviews tonight and I can't say that I have ever seen a Coldplay album be so two-sided. I am on your side personally, I related the least to this album and overall found that it took very few risks. Sure it sounds very different than their previous efforts, and I think that is very commendable, but it sometimes comes off as shallow and generic, for me mostly in the tracks ASFOS and True Love.

Chris' voice really began irking me on some of these tracks. Six albums in, I want to hear something different with it, and that is why I love Midnight and O where it is warped somewhat. After so many great songs over the years, that emotional punch as been lost for me. I love O and Oceans, but they don't stand out for me when I play them on shuffle with all Coldplay songs. What does stand out to me though, is the atmospherics. The end of Oceans and O, the AIMH, Midnight, the climax of Another's Arms, all are so amazingly deep. I connected more to sounds in this album than I did to actual vocals.

Strange how these reviews either love this album or absolutely are repulsed about it. I can see why with some of the vocals on here. So much to love but also so much to cringe at.

I'm an older fan (2004 on) and I don't like Ghost Stories at all. I love their older B-sides(The World Turned Upside Down is A+) and I don't see how people are comparing older Coldplay with the amount of synthesizers and electronic on Ghost Stories. If there's anything more different from older Coldplay, these are the songs in Ghost Stories (with ~maybe~ the exception of Oceans[which I don't like]).

The general "trend" it seems that fans who grew up with the older Coldplay sound seem to appreciate GS more than those introduced to them from their X&Y/Viva/MX era.

I'm sorry, but to say you're a "older fan" because you listened to them from 2004 (which is essentially the year before X&Y and when they started experimenting with music), IMO doesn't classify you in the "older fan" category.

The "old music" for the "old fans" comprise of music way back from 1998, comprising of the Safety-Blue Room-Parachutes-AROBTTH era.

I, love GS and I've been listening to CP since I first heard Parachutes and regularly play their previous EPs. I understand that the amount of synthesizers and electronic on GS isn't comparable to their old stuff, but there is a certain thread of similarity that connects GS to their older work. It's more the concepts and themes of vulnerability and yearning that connects the music together.

The X&Y/Viva/Mylo era seems to be completely distinct from their older records, and I think GS represents the rawness found in their older albums, but the experimental side found in their newer stuff.

My ranks:

Blue Room

Parachutes

AROBTTH

Ghost Stories

Prospekts March

X&Y

Viva La Vida

Mylo Xyloto (sometimes I have to pretend this isn't even a Coldplay record because it's so embarrassingly and sickeningly pop-driven with CP succumbing to being major sell outs here with their over the top stadium tour)

So, this is just my opinion, but...

Anybody who thinks that VLV is not a motherf* great album, needs a serious reality check. This stuff is up there with Sergeant Pepper and The Wall.

End of rant)

VLV is better than both of those albums

The general "trend" it seems that fans who grew up with the older Coldplay sound seem to appreciate GS more than those introduced to them from their X&Y/Viva/MX era.

I'm sorry, but to say you're a "older fan" because you listened to them from 2004 (which is essentially the year before X&Y and when they started experimenting with music), IMO doesn't classify you in the "older fan" category.

I said I started listening to them back in 2004, not that I like what they did 2004 on better. Actually I've listened to The Scientist and In My Place for a long long time.

And to be and older fan is something very relative, since I'm 21 now, I was 11 back in 2004, what made me about "growing up with them". If you take most of the fans, a few can say they've listened to Coldplay since 10~11, a time in which I didn't actually cared about music, except them. Or if you get the 10~11 people nowadays they started on Mylo Xyloto on.

Mylo Xyloto (sometimes I have to pretend this isn't even a Coldplay record because it's so embarrassingly and sickeningly pop-driven with CP succumbing to being major sell outs here with their over the top stadium tour)

Sometimes I pretend Ghost Stories is not a Coldplay record either because I feel ashamed for them when I listen to such weak lyrics and waste of talent hidden by synths, trying to be low key but being absolutely appealing for the Twilight fangirls with this "Tell me you love me, if you don't then lie". Seriously? I can totally picture that talentless girl saying this on her movie.

So, this is just my opinion, but...

Anybody who thinks that VLV is not a motherf* great album, needs a serious reality check. This stuff is up there with Sergeant Pepper and The Wall.

I agree. VLVODAAHF = Magnum Opus.

I said I started listening to them back in 2004, not that I like what they did 2004 on better. Actually I've listened to The Scientist and In My Place for a long long time.

And to be and older fan is something very relative, since I'm 21 now, I was 11 back in 2004, what made me about "growing up with them". If you take most of the fans, a few can say they've listened to Coldplay since 10~11, a time in which I didn't actually cared about music, except them. Or if you get the 10~11 people nowadays they started on Mylo Xyloto on.

Sometimes I pretend Ghost Stories is not a Coldplay record either because I feel ashamed for them when I listen to such weak lyrics and waste of talent hidden by synths, trying to be low key but being absolutely appealing for the Twilight fangirls with this "Tell me you love me, if you don't then lie". Seriously? I can totally picture that talentless girl saying this on her movie.

I agree. VLVODAAHF = Magnum Opus.

im ashamed to know that your a coldplay fan..... you jsut cant appreciate any of their music.... geez

im ashamed to know that your a coldplay fan..... you jsut cant appreciate any of their music.... geez

It's so sweet from you caring so much about me. I'm just sorry that you can't read my posts. Actually if you be able to read, I'm always clear saying I love Viva (as I SAID up above, like many I consider it their Magnum Opus(if you don't know, it means like "masterpiece") and X&Y, MX too, and like A rush and parachutes a lot. But one thing you're right, I can't appreciate GHOST STORIES, because there's nothing there to be appreciated but synths and Chris' musical monologue.

Enviado de meu GT-I9300 usando Tapatalk

Lyrically not very strong. I know (and appreciate, to some extent) the criticisms of Chris' lyrics generally, but would say GS is not particularly excellent lyrics-wise.

Jonny's guitar in True Love. Everyone loves it, I just find it really weird. Sad but oh well.

Length. It's just over so quickly!

My ranks:

Blue Room

Parachutes

AROBTTH

Ghost Stories

Prospekts March

X&Y

Viva La Vida

I totally agree with you.

It's so sweet from you caring so much about me. I'm just sorry that you can't read my posts. Actually if you be able to read, I'm always clear saying I love Viva and X&Y, MX too, and like A rush and parachutes a lot. But one thing you're right, I can't appreciate GHOST STORIES, because there's nothing therr to be appreciated but synths and Chris' musical monologue.

Enviado de meu GT-I9300 usando Tapatalk

It sucks you dont like it because if i remember correctly you were one of the people who were always in the leak thread and trying to find leaks and what not so it must have felt shitty waiting for something and being crazy excited and then it not be what you expected. Hopefully it grows on you with time.

P.S. : I wasnt stalking you i was stalking that thread lol. That thread was my home and my life for like almost a week before it leaked lol.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

It sucks you dont like it because if i remember correctly you were one of the people who were always in the leak thread and trying to find leaks and what not so it must have felt shitty waiting for something and being crazy excited and then it not be what you expected. Hopefully it grows on you with time.

P.S. : I wasnt stalking you i was stalking that thread lol. That thread was my home and my life for like almost a week before it leaked lol.

I know right? I felt like Coldplay could never disappoint me with all those previous records I love, I was more excited than ever but I def expected something more All Your Friends. I'm hoping with you it grows on me, who knows in a far future.

Oh, and don't be afraid, I know you wasn't stalking me, I posted on that thread so much hahaha. (But you can stalk me if you want :sneaky: LOL JK)

I know right? I felt like Coldplay could never disappoint me with all those previous records I love, I was more excited than ever but I def expected something more All Your Friends. I'm hoping with you it grows on me, who knows in a far future.

Oh, and don't be afraid, I know you wasn't stalking me, I posted on that thread so much hahaha. (But you can stalk me if you want :sneaky: LOL JK)

let time do its job maybe you had TOO much high expectations.....theyre not GODS you know but theyre close :D.. give it time and youll see i think.....

Yeah i was really excited aswell...since i was sort of out of it during the MX era i didnt experience the awesome madness when it leaks and what not. I like the album a lot. I think my big issue is the lyrics and that most songs sound very R & B imo and i dont like that. I just didnt expect those kind of lyrics. But its been growing on me very much and even more after seeing them performed live on the special so im on a good path lol.

I was telling my brother about my issue with the lyrics and he read some and said they looked fine and didnt see anything wrong and i said " of course you wouldnt. You are a massive Britney Spears fan and mainstream pop fanatic lol "

If you take most of the fans, a few can say they've listened to Coldplay since 10~11, a time in which I didn't actually cared about music, except them. Or if you get the 10~11 people nowadays they started on Mylo Xyloto on.

Well, I am 23 and I started listening to Coldplay back when I was about 10-11 too. Maybe not properly, but I heard some of their music on rage and remember really liking it.

People who "started" on MX don't actually know what the real Coldplay is...

Sometimes I pretend Ghost Stories is not a Coldplay record either because I feel ashamed for them when I listen to such weak lyrics and waste of talent hidden by synths, trying to be low key but being absolutely appealing for the Twilight fangirls

I have to try really hard here to try and take you seriously with this comment... you are joking, right? From what I can recall, I can remember the MX tour being HEAVILY pop-based, mainstream AND I can remember lots and lots of electronica and synths in it? Are we taking about the same album here? MYLO XYLOTO? Appealing to Twi-hards? Ugh,.. I can remember many twi-hards who were present at the MX tour, who were squealing and sitting right in front of me? I don't think you'd find them at a Ghost Stories show?

And weak lyrics in comparison to MX? HAHAHAHA, omg you HAVE to be joking here.. Let me give you a SMALL snippet of the awfulness and weakenss that is MX...

"When she was just a girl she expected the world/But it flew away from her reach /So she ran away in her sleep and dreamed of/Para-para-paradise, para-para-paradise, para-para-paradise/Every time she closed her eyes"

"Every tear is a waterfall/Oh oh oh/So you can hurt, hurt me bad/But still I'll raise the flag"

"When you're tired of waiting you just/Find you never had to stop/Come on baby, don't let it break your heart"

I'm pretty sure the kindergarten children I teach could come up with less sugary lyrics than these.