✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Criticisms with the album?

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Radiohead is indeed "better" for not using backing tracks but still sounding big and great live. Though to be fair, they do have a 5th member over Coldplay and Muse. Honestly I think Coldplay can just down-regulate the amount of backing tracks they use because honestly their music wouldn't get worse just because there are less strings in the background or something. And Muse needs to promote Morgan Nichols to a full-time 4th member. Well two takeaway points from my meandering paragraph: backing tracks occur when the amount of music is not proportional to the number of members on stage and Coldplay's music would sound fine without the backing tracks. But I don't think backing tracks means a group is "less talented". They just have different priorities.

I think Muse has the most raw virtuosity in their playing style. Radiohead does a good job of experimentation and stuff too. And of course, Coldplay > Muse > Radiohead in audience connection and concert "fun" level.

Also I think Coldplay is totally capable of experimenting and being "ambitious" musically even if they are not given credit for this. VLV (the song and the album) is very much evidence of this, as are certain individual tracks on MX and GS. And there are cases where minimalism and restraint do make the music better. Songs like Yellow and The Scientist come to mind there. Though some more virtuosity from Coldplay would be good - Hurts Like Heaven would be the best example.

Guest kmm1482

I don't understand why some people keep saying "a lot of you guys on here keep saying Radiohead is better and you treat Radiohead like Gods". I have never once seen any Coldplayer post anything like that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm assuming rafi is me lol :laugh3:

I'll explain to you, the other people don't really need to read.

The reasons are several but the most important are: Chris too much centered (I'm a Coldplay fan, not only Chris'), too much use of synth drums (I do like them but I really never expected a Coldplay album only with it. 2 songs are acceptable), strange suppression of guitars, True Love sounds like a Disney song, the ohh ohhs in the end annoy me, Ink was almost a good song but drums ruined it, Oceans to ASFoS transition too forced, lack of real guitar on Oceans like live, production holes like the click on the beginning of AIMH and too subtle start of ocean sound in Oceans, Another's Arms ending (Your body in my body-ody-ody-ody-ody-ody), True Love again

I understand where you're coming from on a lot of of these points. I personally like the drums on GS, I don't mind that they're electronic. And the fact that the entire album uses electronic drums makes it more cohesive, which is a factor that I really hold up high when judging an album.

And yes, True Love is very Disney-esque, but it builds to a satisfying crescendo at the end, in my opinion. And yes, it is very Chris-centric, but I don't mind that either because it's coming from a very genuine place.

Personally, I love GS. It's probably 3rd place behind Viva and AROBTTH for me! :)

I appreciate where you're coming from though.

And now addressing Radiohead:

I agree with Mrk; Coldplay and Radiohead are two completely different bands.

Radiohead's music is much more complex, much more difficult to digest, and more interesting in my opinion. I can stand back and look at them objectively and say Radiohead makes much more thought-provoking and interesting music. But music isn't something to be looked at objectively; it's extremely feelings-based.

Coldplay is my all time favorite because that's just my gut feeling, and it's been this way since like 2002. Which band is technically "better"? Probably Radiohead, but I don't care, and nobody else should care either. Listen to what you love and let others listen to what they love.

And now addressing Radiohead:

I agree with Mrk; Coldplay and Radiohead are two completely different bands.

Radiohead's music is much more complex, much more difficult to digest, and more interesting in my opinion. I can stand back and look at them objectively and say Radiohead makes much more thought-provoking and interesting music. But music isn't something to be looked at objectively; it's extremely feelings-based.

Coldplay is my all time favorite because that's just my gut feeling, and it's been this way since like 2002. Which band is technically "better"? Probably Radiohead, but I don't care, and nobody else should care either. Listen to what you love and let others listen to what they love.

Totally agree. "better" is all objective, but Radiohead is the more interesting, layered, and evolved band. First they have more members, all of whom strive for different experimentation. Thom Yorke is a genius and Jonny Greenwood has done wonders with his solo work as well. I love listening to Radiohead when I am feeling in a certain mood because their music is amazingly and uniquely done, and always has a certain harshness or melancholy that is jarring. They truly are a band that revolutionized what bands can do in my opinion.

But Coldplay will always be above for me. Are they experimental? No. Are they as diverse of instrument players? No. Are they revolutionary? Definitely not. They just make the music for me that is interesting, beautiful, catchy, and emotive enough to be my favourite band quite simply. They are a package that includes so much more.

You know what happens to those who refuse to "go along with the world"? They vanish.

What I mean is, in everything and I mean everything, if you don't "evolve" you're left behind. Our world is mad and it's in constant changing.

For example, industry, once they were manual, now they're all about "robots" and machines, and those industries that kept their old ways, what happened to them? They lost their track, they vanished.

Same happens in music industry. Once they used, what some of you like to call "real instruments", now it's all about computers. Coldplay only has one option if they want to keep in the music industry, go with the flow. Don't believe me? MX explains my point. (I'm not saying it's a bad album)

The album has too much Chris? Obvious. It's about his love life. And believe me, if the album exists it's because the band agreed and if they're "okay" with that why can't we just be too?

The sad fact about Radiohead is that they've barely made a memorable track since OK Computer. Which was almost 20 years ago. And the few that do stand out, e.g. Everything in its Right Place and Reckoner, are mostly just good for the first 30 seconds before getting boring. They don't really have it in them to write great melodies, so they compensate by layering tons of 'complexity' and conceptual experimentation onto the records (and their career in general).

I remember when Coldplay's Parachutes came out, Radiohead fans recommended it to me. I thought it was pretty good. Then when Rush of Blood to the Head came out and cemented their popularity, Radiohead fans simultaneously dismissed them as rubbish and called them a Radiohead clone. Strange that. In reality, the only thing they had in common was high quality production (remember, the 90s were dominated by pub-rock) and falsetto singing. Coldplay had hits in them, Radiohead by this point just had critical acclaim (the general awfulness of chart music between 1998 and 2002 led some poor rock fans to spurn anything catchy-sounding in favour of shoe-gazing nonsense).

I remember the long anticipated day Kid A came out (and some ridiculous thing about them recording two albums simultaneously and only releasing one at a time, and how if you played 2 copies of Kid A 15 seconds apart then it unlocked a whole new experience), asking Radiohead fans if they liked it, was it better than Bends/OK, what were the best tracks. They all said something like 'not sure, it needs time to sink in.' 'I won't know if I like it until I listen to a few more times.' Thing is, basically anything grows on you if you listen to it a few times. That's why mediocre bands manage to do 2 hour concerts for their fans, when the rest of us only care about a couple of their songs. The true test is how much of an impression it makes at first.

Curiously I don't think I ever bought Rush of Blood to the Head, though I obviously enjoyed the singles. Coldplay in my book were a good band among a number of other good bands (Travis, Franz Ferdinand, The Libertines, etc). I did buy X&Y however, and was pretty impressed - they'd managed to get past the '3rd album' curse that most bands stumble at. When Viva La Vida came out, I realised that they were starting to pull away from the pack - they weren't 'cool,' didn't have critical acclaim, but at the same time no one could name any other bands which had released 4 strong albums since 2000 with amazing singles on each one. And they were now the biggest band in the world. With Mxyo Lotto (or whatever it's called), they came up with possibly their best single yet (Charlie Brown) and the others were great too. They now clearly deserved to be the biggest band in the world.

With Ghost Stories they have pulled it off once more. At this point they are in a league of their own for bands active since 2000. In historical terms, I'm surprised to say it but they're actually catching up with Oasis. It's doubtful that anyone will ever match the intense brilliance of Oasis's first 2/3 years, but slow and steady wins the race as they say. They have probably surpassed Blur. Their legacy is pretty secure at this point - a large list of anthemic hits and great album tracks. And the best thing is, there's no reason why they can't keep going.

Criticisms of the album? It's quite short, although I don't have the two extra tracks. Also I'd like more sections for some of the songs, e.g. Magic, Sky Full of Stars.

Guest kmm1482
I still love this album, but hate " when the pages rips right through me". They both can't have an "s".

I can't tell if this post is serious or not

I actually have no criticism to give (a very rare occurrence)- its not often someone is brave enough to open up and bear their soul to the world like that- and that guitar solo in True Love- OMG you nailed it guys- anyone that's ever felt that way will be head to toe in goosebumps- I'm totally lost for words!!!

Guest kmm1482
The sad fact about Radiohead is that they've barely made a memorable track since OK Computer. Which was almost 20 years ago. And the few that do stand out, e.g. Everything in its Right Place and Reckoner, are mostly just good for the first 30 seconds before getting boring. They don't really have it in them to write great melodies, so they compensate by layering tons of 'complexity' and conceptual experimentation onto the records (and their career in general).

Eh, it's not really a "fact". I find all of Kid A memorable and I thought In Rainbows was brilliant. And I find the melodies and rhythms they create to be very catchy and evoke emotion. So, not exactly "boring"

Guest kmm1482
Why is this becoming a radiohead v. coldplay thing? How is this even possible to do?? XD

A while back, someone pulled "Everyone worships Radiohead" out of their ass.

so its been about what 3 weeks since the album? The only song stuck on me is AIMH everything else is just eh... This album lacks depth, with other albums I find new things to love in every listen but with GS it's very straightforward, it lacks depth. Very sad for coldplay...

I like GS the only thing i hate is A Sky Full of Stars. Maybe if I still care about or believe in music elitism, I'd hate it because it's avicii but now it's just boils down to it being a sore thumb and breaks the whole sound of the album. Even Will, Guy and Jonny felt that way (based on the interview for GS TV Special, even Chris admitted it). For me, "All Your Friends" should have been included and not ASFoS.

As for Radiohead, they're a more superior band than Coldplay obviously. And to compare them to Coldplay isn't fair to either parties. Still my fave band is Coldplay.