✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Criticisms with the album?

You know what happens to those who refuse to "go along with the world"? They vanish.

What I mean is, in everything and I mean everything, if you don't "evolve" you're left behind. Our world is mad and it's in constant changing.

For example, industry, once they were manual, now they're all about "robots" and machines, and those industries that kept their old ways, what happened to them? They lost their track, they vanished.

Same happens in music industry. Once they used, what some of you like to call "real instruments", now it's all about computers. Coldplay only has one option if they want to keep in the music industry, go with the flow.

I disagree with the idea that you have to leave everything good about your past behind to stay relevant. Other guitar bands such as Suede and Maximo Park have incorporated more electronics into their albums while still keeping plenty of stripped-down rock songs and in the best cases, combining both within the same songs- and their last couple of albums have debuted in the top ten just fine.

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so its been about what 3 weeks since the album? The only song stuck on me is AIMH everything else is just eh... This album lacks depth, with other albums I find new things to love in every listen but with GS it's very straightforward, it lacks depth. Very sad for coldplay...

We know. You say the same thing every week.

I'll admit I don't enjoy the album as much as I did, but the amount complaining on this site is pulling me away from even posting here.

Guest kmm1482
I have put A Sky Full of Stars off the tracklist and replaced it with Ghost Story, i like ASFOS but it doesnt fit the rest of the album at all, it would be better for MX.

I did the EXACT same thing! Haven't regretted it one bit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You know what happens to those who refuse to "go along with the world"? They vanish.

Same happens in music industry. Once they used, what some of you like to call "real instruments", now it's all about computers. Coldplay only has one option if they want to keep in the music industry, go with the flow. Don't believe me? MX explains my point. (I'm not saying it's a bad album)

?errr.. i dont follow... Every single band/artist will/should go for computer electronic sounds or they will just vanish? So for example, Mumford&Sons who are huuugely popular (and many other folky bands), will too?

--------

Anyway, I think it's good to be critical. And this long thread thats still active since the release shows something. Fans with dissapointment, dislike for songs/production yes true, but.. we're still here. Doesn't that mean coldplay has valuable loyal fans? :)

Its all because of their history of brilliant music, that means so much to us, we can relate to. So if theres a new album that doesn't exactly do that, then of course we can be dissapointed because instead it couldve been another big favourite and very valuable album. We're hoping for this to happen, because it would mean so much and years and years of enjoying the music.

Ghost stories to me is not another favourite like coldplays first 4 albums. Its not just the production, its the (not all) songs too. I don't have a problem with electronic production, I love midnight and I love the production in all your friends. But in songs like true love, ink and anothers arms I just can not feel them with that high sounding polished drumbeat, it doesnt compliment the songs. The songs themselves, melody's, I just do not find them really solid, they're kind of weak, lacking depth.

Its strange, i have never found any coldplay song to be really whiny (first song i loved was fix you) but true love just feels so overly whiny/cheesy and kinda reminds me of a boyband ballad (listened to those many maany years ago). Sorry I cant help it! It just doesnt feel as honest and pure, as almost every other emotional song of coldplay does.

Also, and this may sound silly, but when I start the cd, I have to turn the volume down, otherwise I will get like a shock (my eyes just twitch lol) from the first beat. Especially in the car, its annoying. With magic in my car, my dashboard starts to make sounds. My car is only 3 years old, but cant really handly those beats. And those 2 are laid back songs, no loud sky full of stars boom tracks. How and why did they produce them that way, I wonder...

I listen the most to all your friends and ghost story, they both give me this coldplay thrill.. instant favourites. In those I find the quality that Im missing on a lot of ghost stories songs. Great songs, great music, great lyrics, singing, everything.

One of my favourite youtube reviewers just did Ghost Stories. As a warning, he mostly likes to review underground, indie, and big alternative music and very rarely does bands like Coldplay. I have always liked him though because he doesn't rule out any music and comes into everything very open. In fact he has mentioned before that he actually likes a lot of Coldplay whereas his friends love to hate on them (probably for no reason at all.) That said, this guy is pretty well spoken and knows a lot about music so I thought I would share his review, which as a hardcore fan, I disagree with only slightly. Also, I know he gets a lot of things wrong on this review (Timbaland and Ink, not realizing Chris Martin's situation, not referencing their early records) but I still think he makes good points.

[video=youtube;FihAfj0FALk]

I also think these people at Consequence of Sound are pretty well spoken and have a good review of the album where the overall consensus is around where I am at (though one girl clearly doesn't like or know Coldplay.)

[video=youtube;Kky-t8JBTnE]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kky-t8JBTnE

Guest kmm1482

I think he really hit the nail on the head with this review

This is my first post on this site. After listening to the new album for the last two weeks I would give it a generous 3/5 star rating. For me the standouts are ASFoS, AiMH & True Love. This album is basically Diet Coldplay...I understand its kind of a concept album with the Chris/Gwyneth split and works well as a late night headphones piece but doesn't hold up the best otherwise unfortunately. IMO it is lacking one or two other up-tempo tracks and I feel Another's Arms could have been switched with Atlas. I certainly haven't lost faith in the band and trust they will come back with a belter of an album (with all band members utilising their instruments properly) next time round.

Guest kmm1482

I don't know why people discredit this album for its downtempo songs like Midnight, Oceans and Fly on! That's the biggest strength of this album! It's songs like Sky Full and Ink that really drag it down

My problem with the album is that I find myself not singing with it at all. These songs are just not interesting. When many think the bonus songs are the best ones and they compare them favorably to other bsides. Thats not saying much. Listening to VLV i realized that there isnt one song on ghost story that i prefer over any of the VLV songs. I actually have to force myself to play the new album out of respect for coldplay.

I have put A Sky Full of Stars off the tracklist and replaced it with Ghost Story, i like ASFOS but it doesnt fit the rest of the album at all, it would be better for MX.

Ghost Story doesn't fit the album either, if you think about... Actual drums, and a much louder rock feel to it. I like it but I just had to remove it from the tracklist after including it for about a week.

O pt 2 and All your Friends still flow with the rest of the album so I kept those in.

[video=youtube;Fct7QGQl3Ik]

Thought to include this video, mostly because he's a really in depth reviews. He deserves a lot of attention for his reviewing style, too.

This guy is so pretentious and over dramatic, just for the sake of being over dramatic. His reviews are terrible. Watch his Arcade Fire -- Reflektor review; he completely misinterprets the meanings of the songs and just bags on the album without any real reason. He's just overly negative just to create the illusion that he's highly opinionated and knows what he's talking about.

Anthony Fantano (aka theneedledrop) on the other hand, is a phenomenal reviewer and I've discovered a lot of GREAT new music through him. And I basically agree with him on GS. The only difference is I'm completely fine with all the problems he mentions. As a hardcore fine, I'll welcome true music from the heart with open arms when it's from Coldplay.

I'm kinda surprised this is getting panned more than Mylo Xyloto. I remember basically being lynched on here for daring to say negative things about that album. Ghost Stories isn't great, but damn is it infinitely more listenable than MX.

I don't really get all the hate too. The whole atmospheric/downtempo direction they've taken is probably one of the most interesting things they've ever done. To be honest, my expectations were really low before Midnight was relased, because I thought they would have gone full nostalgia and make a clone of AROBTTH just to please the old fans (see Keane with Strangeland), but luckily they didn't (with the exception of Oceans maybe, even though it doesn't sound "forced" at all and works perfectly in the album context). Actually, I'd put this album up there together with Viva, but maybe it's just that I've been listening mostly to electronic music lately.

Guest kmm1482

I would LOVE if the next album was an Oceans/Ghost Story/Midnight sounding album

No idea why anyone wouldnt want more songs as brilliant as Amsterdam, warning sign, god put a smile, politik, or... square one, til kingdom come, low or... lovers in Japan, 42, yes or... don't panic, trouble, spies or... like their last brilliant bonus track ghost story. Rush 2.0, x&y 2.0? Fine with me!

But actually I just would like to them to make an album with stronger, high quality music. Most tracks from gs are not up there.

Ghost story being a very good example of being something in between rush and viva but still original. They prove they can do that :)

I think people fail to realize that Coldplay developed it's strong loyal following from 1998-1999 through 2002.. That core of fans is happy with Ghost Stories more than the last 3 albums. X&y and mx have wonderful rock songs.. This album is Coldplay being themselves.. And us longtime fans love it

Guest kmm1482

Is it bad that I honestly haven't listened to the album in a week or two?