✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Criticisms with the album?

Guest kmm1482
I admit, I loved the journey of the album, but I feel like it was, dare I say, boring... not the first time, but now, compared to even MX, just kind of boring. I'm bored of True Love, Ink, Magic, and sometimes Midnight. I adore Oceans more and more everytime I listen to it. ASFOS is better now that I have separated from the album. O is amazing, AA and AIMH are great. It just isn't as good as Viva or any of the classics.

I think I'm in the same boat. With the others, I listened on repeat for days and had the lyrics down within hours, belting out every line. But the standard version of this album (and almost all of MX), I find myself not paying attention as much to the songs. I skip most (I always stop on Oceans, and most of the time True Love and Fly On). But my constant playing of Ghost Story tells me that I'm really only into Parachutes/ Rush of Blood/X&Y/ and most of Viva. The bonus songs and speculation of another LP next has me hopeful that they'll get back to what I love about them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm starting to think that you guys can't use your brain. You are completely ignoring the production of this album, which is a masterpiece, because your brain can't get over the fact that they are not a rock band anymore, get over it.

That's not really correct, they never were really a "rock band"; I'd say alt rock at best.

Radiohead aren't a rock band anymore too' date=' and they haven't created anything new since OK Computer, you all praise them like they discend from freaking God but they are nothing special, there are bands that have been doing what Radiohead does for years and even better but who gives a fuck about them, right? [/quote']

I'd argue their best work is post-OK Computer so I'm not sure what you mean by "nothing new" and (I believe) there aren't bands that do what they do better, but that's a story for another thread.

If they do something more mainstream (ie Paradise) = sell outs

if they do something more subtle, like a spell a rebel yell = rip offs

if they do something rockier (violet hill) = trying hard to be cool

Personally I've never heard the last two complaints, ever?

Who cares about what critics say about them' date=' and by the way, they've always and I say ALWAYS been radio friendly even with your beloved Parachutes and AROBTTH, what's changed? In the early 2000 guitar driven songs were cool and over played on the radio, now songs like ASFOS are[/quote']

I think you're simplifying this, or people just have different complaints than I. :thinking: If we were worried about what critics said, none of us would be Coldplay fans from the start. :P I feel the problem stems from the generic simplicity and very vacuous nature of the songs. We all know electronic artists can be very talented as you mentioned, like Hopkins and Radiohead but their use of synths and computers is different. Their music is immensely deep, with complex layering and moving parts throughout.

Something like True Love, Magic and even ASFoS (at points) just sounds very talentless and drab. Part of what's so amazing about MX is you get to hear Jonny's and Will's talents full-fledged. With the lack of guitars on GS I can't help but wonder what Jonny is doing and unlike well-thought out and interesting drum tracks, like on Amnesiac or Hail to the Thief let's say, the ones on GS couldn't sound more uninspired and generic to be honest.

The problem was never electronics, there's tons of those on both X&Y and MX for example and there are hundreds of talented electronic artists. I'd like to point out Midnight is a great song and it's so good in large part thanks to the stunning melodic progression and instrumental effort put into it, both of which many of the other electronic tracks on this album seem to lack. The genuine gripe here is how hollow and uninspiring much of the work done with the electronics on this album is in my personal opinion. As RafaelChampion keenly notes, there are several songs that sound like anyone could've made them, Magic and True Love being the worst offenders.

The genuine gripe here is how hollow and uninspiring much of the work done with the electronics on this album is in my personal opinion. As RafaelChampion keenly notes, there are several songs that sound like anyone could've made them, Magic and True Love being the worst offenders.

As a radiohead fan, I can't listen to True Love or Magic anymore really. I think you hit it head on.

Viva La Vida & Prospekt's March was their finest hour IMO, exactly the right balance of a lot of different elements. MX was sort of half-and-half, some classics like Charlie Brown but some duffs like Up In Flames. Then we have Ghost Stories, which I can't stand.

What was there in full force on VLV, only there to a much lesser extent on MX and absent from GS?

We need Brian Eno back in a major role.

Guest kmm1482

I'm sorry if now i'm coming out as rude but i'm really tired of the bullshit that coldplay recieves everyday

I've never heard this complaint either. I think you're overreaching in order to try and validate an opinion.

Guest kmm1482

and by the way, radiohead aren't a rock band anymore too, and they haven't created anything new since OK Computer, you all praise them like they discend from freaking God but they are nothing special, there are bands that have been doing what radiohead does for years and even better but who gives a fuck about them

As a huge fan of Radiohead as well, and one who anticipates a new Radiohead album as much as Coldplay, I apologize for being a fan of theirs. Next time I really like someone's music and become a fan of them, I will consult with you in order to get approval of whom I should and should not enjoy.

Guest kmm1482
As a radiohead fan, I can't listen to True Love or Magic anymore really. I think you hit it head on.

I am a huge Radiohead fan and these are two of my faves on the album. I never understood the comparisons and I listen to them both quite a bit.

I think there are some really great songs on the album.

However, I'm not into the album as a whole. It's cohesive, but there's very low sense energy throughout the tracks, though I can understand why, given Chris's life at the moment...It gives context, for sure, though.

Then the electronic components are simple, thus giving very little energy, and listening to the whole thing is a very fast 40 minutes...but not as stimulating as I would have liked. So, by the time ASFOS came around, all of its electricity was rather pointless to me. It got me momentarily hyped up for O, which doesn't need the hype (Though I freakin LOVE O). I would be looking for a song with the components of Up With the Birds to precede O.

:facepalm: radiohead are my second fav band guys, like, you missed the whole point of my post

I actually agree with a lot of what you said, but I am not a huge fan of those two songs that I mentioned. True Love particularly is quite boring imo.

I'm starting to think that you guys can't use your brain

you are completely ignoring the production of this album, which is a masterpiece, because your brain can't get over the fact that they are not a rock band anymore

get over it

and by the way, radiohead aren't a rock band anymore too, and they haven't created anything new since OK Computer, you all praise them like they discend from freaking God but they are nothing special, there are bands that have been doing what radiohead does for years and even better but who gives a fuck about them, right?

I'm sorry if now i'm coming out as rude but i'm really tired of the bullshit that coldplay recieves everyday

Who cares about what critics say about them, and by the way, they've always and I say ALWAYS been radio friendly even with your beloved Parachutes and AROBTTH, what's changed? In the early 2000 guitar driven songs were cool and over played on the radio, now songs like ASFOS are

Chris Martin loves to hear their songs over played on the radio, and he has aways been proud of it and that will never change in Coldplay, maybe, some day when they will be 50 years old or something.

this is getting ridicolous

I agree with everything on this post, holy shit, everything spot on.

And yes, Radiohead is way too overrated the way everyone praises them. Coldplay is 100x times better IMO

And for the record, people hating on this beautiful album is a crime. And people even hating on True Love, arguably best song on the album... my head

What exactly makes Radiohead better? People always says they're more talented and such things, but Coldplays music is better and that is what counts for me

arrangements, melodies, concept of music, concept of lyrics, they can play everything live without any back track (something that coldplay needs to do)

and are a lot more prepared about music theory, see both the guitarist and the drummer went to proper music schools, i know it sounds pretentious, but it makes the differnce

they all are very skilled in their own instruments, and we know that Coldplay aren't, and that, i know it's not the most important thing, makes the difference

but they never created something "original" the sound they adapted now and before was nothing new to the music world

What exactly makes Radiohead better? People always says they're more talented and such things, but Coldplays music is better and that is what counts for me

They're two totally different kinds of band and they should never be compared

nah, muse is my third fav band (after coldplay and radiohead lol) and i think that coldplay are better, muse need to improve the production and the cohesiveness of their music

Even though I love Coldplay live to the death, I think Muse live is one little point ahead. They rock it from the beginning to end, even more after The 2nd Law.

Even though I love Coldplay live to the death, I think Muse live is one little point ahead. They rock it from the beginning to end, even more after The 2nd Law.

oh yes live, i've never NEVER heard Matt's voice crack in his entire career, they are EPIC live, they are good at surprising their audience, but less good at connecting with them

oh yes live, i've never NEVER heard Matt's voice crack in his entire career, they are EPIC live, they are good at surprising their audience, but less good at connecting with them

Yes, there is more interaction with Coldplay, but as you said Matt's voice is monstrous live. I love every performance of Knights of Cydonia(even if there's little vocals[words]). Chris (Wolstenholme)is an average side singer too(though Will is much better[he is better in everything he does, he is better breathing air than anyone lol jk]).

Yes, there is more interaction with Coldplay, but as you said Matt's voice is monstrous live. I love every performance of Knights of Cydonia(even if there's little vocals). Chris (Wolstenholme)is an average side singer too(though Will is much better).

Yeah but Chris W. bangs his bass like he bangs his wife (he has 6 children with her lol)

tumblr_m6enbw4jja1qaejwv.gif