✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Criticisms with the album?

• Replies 545
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I remember seeing a video of Gwyneth being interviewed on Oprah (talking about "The Nappies" of all things). She was talking about Chris' songwriting being very abstract, not "I woke up and made eggs for breakfast this morning" type of lyrics. I think this got taken to another level in VLV and MX's songs.

While I like all the songs a lot after a second listen through, some of the lyrics just seem too "ordinary"? I don't know if that's the right word or not. Especially the lyrics in Another's Arms / Ink. I always imagined Chris Martin's songwriting "universe" for the lack of a better term didn't have lines like "late night watching TV' or songs about getting tattoos. They're just not as abstract as usual.

It's not a bad thing per se, but its going to take some getting used to.

Really only a few small gripes...

I'm picky but at the first "put yourself into me" in another's arms, Chris' voice f**ks up a little bit

Also those dissonant notes in Jonnys solo in true love are a little unsettling... But I'm sure ill appreciate them wih more listens

And yeah the lyrics aren't brilliant the entire album.... The only line that is really really bad is the first one in Ink. 2gether thru life... That's just painful

I agree about the Jonny solo - made me cringe - it just sounds so wrong - sorry. Maybe it will grow on me. Way too much synth. effect . Just not enough real CP sounds.

Things I don't understand:

1 - We heard the album (eg: live versions) before it release and only now, after the release, people start complaning that the album sucks? I mean if it's bad now, then should be before, I guess, and I don't remember seeing any or such "hate".

2 - The album is about a heart-broken, did you really expect songs with "loud and fast" tunes?

3 - It's a personal album, for Chris, of course he made the lyrics weak, so he could express what he feels/felt without "bashing" Gwyneth. He knew this album would become popular because of the breakup so he didn't get into details.

When I heard the album in overall I could feel the "thing" of being heartbroken. GS is all about that.

While I think Ghost Stories is a great album I just don't think there are any particularly remarkable songs. I was just thinking in a couple of years time and let's say the band were on a stadium tour, what songs from Ghost Stories would be on the ideal setlist? Apart from O which would be a great acoustic number, there aren't any others that stand out compared to their previous work. Ok so A Sky full of Stars is upbeat but it's not that great lyrically, I even prefer Every Teardrop to that. Always in my Head is my second favourite track after O but it is a bit depressing and I'm not sure I could listen to it a lot because of that.

Look don't get me wrong I think the record is excellently produced and I think they've been brave in the risk they've taken in making it. Also with the album just released, I understand none of the tracks will have had time to become classics yet but I still think there aren't any strong contenders. Will I be listening to the album in a year or so? I'm not entirely sure.

I'll say again - I think the album is a brilliant collection of songs.

And we all know the context - and the nature of the quick release.

So as much as I love GS - I believe it's only a prelude to a bigger and even better album in 2015.

I think Magic will be around - it's catchy, chill and people clap along to the beat - I can hear entire crowds singing along to the chorus easily. Midnight will be a show stopper in terms of visuals and sound.

I think the transition from Oceans into Sky Full of Stars is an easy one, but Sky is on par with ETIAW and Viva in terms of anthems. True Love could work here and there. Easily Always in my Head... it's such a blissful track with some of the best guitar/bass work by j and guy, and the synths work perfectly.

O for sure. So i'd say 5 to 7 songs could work long term. O and AIMH would be enough for me, coupled with their three singles ASFOS, Magic, Midnight - they easily could play these in an arena.

only listened to the album once, and from that first listen I am underwhelmed. Disappointed, maybe my expectations were to high, very few songs on it stand out for me.

Before any of you start, this is my opinion on listening to it once, so don't have a go, everyones entitled to an opinion and this is mine. It may change!

I bought Ghost Stories first thing yesterday morning on the way to work. It doesn't help that I am facing a similar situation in my own life, so this whole album hits me very hard right now. In watching the Zane Lowe interview that Chris did, I completely get all of the music how he probably intended it to be received. For me, it's not about whether I like it or not. This album isn't about me. It's about Chris and what has happened in his life. A very personal record. He said he doesn't care what anyone thinks of it. The songs are reflective of the pain he has gone through, but most of all his own recognition of the fact that he has work to do in his own life. Too often in a lot of the reviews I have read on the interwebs (not many here), people make it about their wants and needs, which sound like opinions. Things either resonate with you or they don't. Little things here and there .... same thing. I dug for the deeper meaning and found it.....

I can see the flow between the tracks and it's absolutely perfect. It starts light and airy with Always In My Head, gets gradually darker with the lyrics of songs towards the middle and then up to a hopeful place at the end with O. For me, this is a perfect expression of how many of us work in this regard. Things I always never had words for. Clarity I've not had in these kinds of instances. The interview showed us a side of him, while he was careful about how much he showed, that shows there is a true human inside that can be hurt but also one that knows he has a gift of music as his outlet. Things I wish I had, but don't. You could tell when O was playing in the background, he had a hard time listening if you watch closely.

Between True Love (brings me to my knees) and O (takes me to the hopeful place where everything is going to be ok), I'm going the places I need to go for me. Seeing what I need to do to keep going, no matter how hard it gets. Thanks for this album Coldplay .... perfect music for this time of my life....

Things I don't understand:[/color][/b] (Great song :D)

1 - We heard the album (eg: live versions) before it release and only now, after the release, people start complaning that the album sucks? I mean if it's bad now, then should be before, I guess, and I don't remember seeing any or such "hate".

2 - The album is about a heart-broken, did you really expect songs with "loud and fast" tunes?

3 - It's a personal album, for Chris, of course he made the lyrics weak, so he could express what he feels/felt without "bashing" Gwyneth. He knew this album would become popular because of the breakup so he didn't get into details.

When I heard the album in overall I could feel the "thing" of being heartbroken. GS is all about that.

Yes, I expected at least one song full of rage.

Yes, I expected at least one song full of rage.

haha I gave that title on purpose.

When I said that, I didn't mean rage songs but songs like Charlie Brown. (Although there's ASFOS, but one case in nine)

Things I don't understand:

I don't think your arguments make a lot of sense (not saying that I think you should dislike the album or anything!):

1 - I'm not sure what "people" you're referring to. Most "hate" would come from negative reviews which obviously wouldn't be posted before the album came out. We only heard a couple songs before the album came out and I think plenty of people were critical towards them. Also, I just don't get the point of your argument. Why does it matter when people give their opinion?

2 - Why can songs about being heart-broken not be more loud and fast? Also, why does that mean people can't point out that Coldplay are simply better at making "loud and fast tunes"?

3 - "Of course he made the lyrics weak"... ehm what? His lyrics are shitty on purpose?

Guest howyousawtheworld

I'm finding it very hard to criticise this album. My criticism of MX seemed to increase with each listen and I seemed to dislike it as the weeks went on. This one I am finding it hard to find any needle with it. It's not the greatest album ever made but it never set out to be that. It's the band wearing it's heart on its sleeve. The lyrics aren't Morrissey, we all know that. But they are forgivable when delivered in Chris's sensitive and soulful voice. A Rush Of Blood To The Head showcased Chris's vocal beauty to the max and this comes very close to it. That iciness, that fragility - I think it's lovely. The album is airy, spacey and light. It's efficient and cool. This album will be appreciated in time and in context of Coldplay's canon. It's very much my definition of Coldplay and is a fresh reminder that I NEED this band every now and again. I need them like I need tea in the cupboard. If it's not there, I'm going to know about it.

Read either of the following two reviews. I guess they have a point:

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/05/ghost-stories-just-when-you-thought-coldplay-couldnt-get-more-boring/371160/

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/05/20/gwyneth-paltrow-haunts-coldplay-s-self-conscious-breakup-album-ghost-stories.html

Their point basically is: "Without accessibly heartening melodies that plead for our approval, what's the point of Coldplay, in the first place?"

I don't think your arguments make a lot of sense (not saying that I think you should dislike the album or anything!):

1 - I'm not sure what "people" you're referring to. Most "hate" would come from negative reviews which obviously wouldn't be posted before the album came out. We only heard a couple songs before the album came out and I think plenty of people were critical towards them. Also, I just don't get the point of your argument. Why does it matter when people give their opinion?

2 - Why can songs about being heart-broken not be more loud and fast? Also, why does that mean people can't point out that Coldplay are simply better at making "loud and fast tunes"?

3 - "Of course he made the lyrics weak"... ehm what? His lyrics are shitty on purpose?

Maybe I didn't explain myself right because english isn't my main language, but I'll try my best.

1 - I was refering to us, coldplayers. So far from what I saw people were loving the tracks and now I don't see that anymore. I find it a little weird. But maybe it's just my impression, idk.

2 - I don't see sad songs with fast/happy tunes. It's rare.

3 - No, I'm saying that he made the lyrics so """weak""" since he wanted to express what he felt/feels without getting too personal.

For example, Taylor Swift, she gets too personal on her songs which makes media and people trying to get in her life and making fun of it, maybe Chris was trying to avoid that.

I hope it's more clear now, if it's not, I'm sorry.

And then again, this is just my opinion.

Read either of the following two reviews. I guess they have a point:

http://www.theatlantic.com/entertainment/archive/2014/05/ghost-stories-just-when-you-thought-coldplay-couldnt-get-more-boring/371160/

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2014/05/20/gwyneth-paltrow-haunts-coldplay-s-self-conscious-breakup-album-ghost-stories.html

Their point basically is: "Without accessibly heartening melodies that plead for our approval, what's the point of Coldplay, in the first place?"

gotta tell you i hate this Gwyneth Paltrow mentioning in writing a review about Ghots Stories,its like they(the ones that wrote the review) are selling it,ffs we don't care about their private lives,why does the personal life of 1 coldplay member should be mentioned so many times.Amirite ?