✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Critic ratings.

Kingzilla

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah! and still ranking mylo over both x&y and GS? i think we can safely say good bye to any grammys next year. critically, this has had a worse acceptance than mylo.

yeah! and still ranking mylo over both x&y and GS? i think we can safely say good bye to any grammys next year. critically, this has had a worse acceptance than mylo.

And that honestly surprises me. For a while, it seemed like it'd be going the other direction.

And that honestly surprises me. For a while, it seemed like it'd be going the other direction.

me too. the biggest drawback for me was the lyrical limitations (to put it one way). but don't think it deserves the trashing that it's getting. coldplay are doomed if they do and doomed if they don't anyway.

anyway, from the band's viewpoint, i don't think this is an album that may be weighed the same as the previous ones as it is more of a personal affair.

p.s. really didn't this reviewer hear oceans?? to me that's one of the best accoustic-y tracks they have ever done.

The Pitchfork review is so ridiculous that it made me laugh.

They hated Midnight and its amazing video. They hated True Love as well. How is this even possible? This shows the guy just hates Coldplay and will never like any of their stuffs.

They didn't even mention Oceans. They also didn't mention Always In My Head. 2 of the album highlights!!

The reviewer obviously wanted a grandiose album like MX with big anthems, that's why he was so harsh.

Coldplay consciously decided to make a stripped down album so hating the album because it's not full of anthems is actually a compliment.

I think the excessive simplicity of the lyrics is pissing people off. Chris does come up with good lyrics like Viva and even many of the lyrics of Mylo. Maybe, now that he has more free time he can come with an album with more complex lyrics. The melody need not be worried about.

I can't lie, The Quietus review made me laugh really hard even though I don't agree with what the writer is saying about either the album or the band. The review of GS on Drowned in Sound though pretty much sums up exactly how I feel about the album, though I am obviously a bigger fan of the band in general than the writer is.

This album, and I guess people's reactions to Coldplay as a band in general, remind me a lot of a movie I just watched - The Secret Life of Walter Mitty. It's a movie that was absolutely torn to shreds by the press and reviewers. From the way they mercilessly tore it and Ben Stiller apart I would have thought it was one of the worst movies ever made. I watched it and actually enjoyed it a lot. It's a well made sincere little movie - little in the sense of the story it tells, not little when it comes to budget and special effects - that just tells a story about a guy learning a life lesson. You could tell the people making it put some real thought into it, something that cannot be said for many of the movies churned out by the modern film

industry. Is it a modern cinematic masterpiece? No. Can you tell Ben Stiller might have been trying just a little bit too hard for some serious critical acclaim / awards recognition? Absolutely, but it's still a really good movie. It also struck me as earnest and sincere - two things a lot of people love to mock as uncool.

Anyone who makes art and releases it is putting themselves and their work out there. Other people are going to judge it and you. When you've already been very commercially and critically successful, people are twice as likely to be ready to try to take you down, it's just human nature. People can be petty and jealous. I think it takes guts to put something out there and not hide behind irony or not taking yourself too seriously - especially when tackling something so personal as the dissolution of a marriage in such a straight forward manner.

Plus, these guys are hard workers. I do think a song like ASFOS was put on the album strictly to be a big radio hit and drive up sales - but a lot of other bands, either through lack of talent or laziness, would just do that and surround that song and maybe one other good one with a bunch of forgettable filler. I think their relationship to ASFOS is one of grudging appeasement of the record company suits, like "yeah alright, we'll put one like that on there for you" - where other band's one big radio hit is really the best that they can do in a lot of cases.

Its the worst rated coldplay album ever. I cant see any grammy awards or other awards for the album as they go on what critics say and how its accepted.

Ive been a long enough coldplay fan to know theyll never be accepted by the critics. They could write a song like stairway to heaven and theyd still think its rubbish.

I cant see why its getting so many bad reviews as its actually a really good album but oh well

I've never really understood how they rate the albums, I mean El Camino had much better score than Viva la Vida (!) and Mylo Xyloto even though the only real good song was Lonely Boy. Viva la Vida is a much better album with much better and consistent songs. Fucked up world, really

Pitchfork has always been a supporter of Coldplay's grandiose, experimental and bombastic albums than the smaller and quieter ones (well except X&Y). Talking into account their ratings for VLVDAAHF and MX (6-7 rating). Ghost Stories is no exception to this mindset.

Guest kmm1482
A review by Australia's harshest music reviewer:

enhanced_25264_1401069726_1.jpg

That's really not even a review

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A review by Australia's harshest music reviewer:

enhanced_25264_1401069726_1.jpg

Oh fuck sake.... :rolleyes:

So basically, this guy just gets paid to insult musicians? Because I've just looked him up and I haven't seen one review with more than 1 star. He gave Robin Thicke's album no stars (literally......it said 'no stars'. I don't disagree with that rating, but still, lol). At least he's creative with his insults I guess