✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Lowest rated Coldplay album on Metacritic

Saket

I do hope you're joking

Don't be so selective with comments my friend. I also said right after that "even they sometimes fuck up". Meaning Grammys and Rolling Stone and other respected critics also make huge mistakes with how they view some artists' work. I was referring to the original post that questioned Metacritic's score and that of critics in general.

I do hope you've understood me now.

Chris:

“With this one I feel like we made exactly what we wanted to make. It’s a strange feeling because we've only really achieved that once or twice before.To me, we've made a flavor of ice cream and we made it really well. Some people may not want that flavor that day or might not like ice cream. It doesn't make me question that we should have made it. This is something we specifically designed. It isn't for everybody. It’s never easy when someone says, ‘I really don’t like your music.’ In this instance, there’s nothing I can do about it, ’cause this is exactly what we were supposed to make.”

Chris:

“With this one I feel like we made exactly what we wanted to make. It’s a strange feeling because we've only really achieved that once or twice before.To me, we've made a flavor of ice cream and we made it really well. Some people may not want that flavor that day or might not like ice cream. It doesn't make me question that we should have made it. This is something we specifically designed. It isn't for everybody. It’s never easy when someone says, ‘I really don’t like your music.’ In this instance, there’s nothing I can do about it, ’cause this is exactly what we were supposed to make.”

Reading that always puts at ease about the reviews and the criticism on this forum because deep down I know that the band is happy about the record and that's really all I care about. With that said I am also happy with the record and I think it's their most quality work since AROBTTH. That's my opinion of course, not everyone (critics included) seem to agree but that's alright!

Do people really care about critic reviews this much? Isn't your own opinion more important to you than some newspaper/magazine writer? If you think this is their best album since AROBTTH, then it is. If you think this is their worst album overall, then it is.

Critic reviews are useful for discovering new artists or albums to listen to. For a band the scale of Coldplay, people aren't going to change their listening or purchasing behaviour just because they read a not-so-great review. At this point, people already have a pretty strong opinion on whether they like this band or not.

Critics aside, for me it is the album with less depth. It has some beautiful tunes on it. But I don't know, I feel it lacks something that the other albums have. Don't know what it is though. My initial thought is to think that it lacks big hits (like the others), but I don't know, since I am not a hit type of fan and I also love their more laid back songs, such as A Message and Til Kingdom Come.

I love the album. Couldn't care less.
This. Personally, remaining oblivious to the critical reaction when MX came out made that experience more fun. It is cool in a way to see this dividing people rather than just being universally accepted with open arms, though. In any case, I can see the general opinion towards this album improving with time. It may take a few years, but I think the appreciation will grow.

C'mon guys, should we really care about the ratings? Critics aren't music gods. Music is art. Everybody reacts at art in their own way. Some will love it, some will hate it. And it's normal. You can't put music in numbers and think that it's absolutely right.

Anyway, if you like Ghost Stories, just enjoy this piece of art. : )

You and everyone stating the same are right, you shouldn't give a shit. But I also get why you would want others to love something you love. Isn't that essentially why we're on this forum, or why everyone is on social media? If we truly didn't care what anyone else thinks there'd be nothing to read here. No one would ever use the thumbs up button or start an argument.

Personally, I'm not above every opinion all the time and I know I'm not the only one. It can be a bummer if people dislike what you like, especially if it's someone who's supposed to be a professional on the matter. Maybe because things like music can be part of who you are as a person.

In the end, it shoudn't change your opinion but if you do want the album to get high ratings, it's OK.

Now, who is the asshole from The Quitus?

VLVODAAHF is the Coldplay album i like the least. I felt like a bad Coldplayer for years for thinking that because almost everyone here loves it so much but i got it off my chest recently, it has two songs that i adore (Life In Technicolor and Strawberry Swing) but the other ones just don't do it for me that much, for example, i haven't listened to Cemeteries of London in ages and i prefer the Prospekt's March version of Lovers in Japan, 42 is a great tune but not one of their best IMO and Viva La Vida was overplayed so badly that i just stopped liking it.

That being said, i don't care if GS gets a 15 on Metacritic, i loved it, i think it would be my favourite Coldplay album had they included Ghost Story in it.

You and everyone stating the same are right, you shouldn't give a shit. But I also get why you would want others to love something you love. Isn't that essentially why we're on this forum, or why everyone is on social media? If we truly didn't care what anyone else thinks there'd be nothing to read here. No one would ever use the thumbs up button or start an argument.

Personally, I'm not above every opinion all the time and I know I'm not the only one. It can be a bummer if people dislike what you like, especially if it's someone who's supposed to be a professional on the matter. Maybe because things like music can be part of who you are as a person.

In the end, it shoudn't change your opinion but if you do want the album to get high ratings, it's OK.

This is good stuff, and generally I'd agree with you. But it's been clear for many years that Coldplay's music is almost never reviewed on the merits. Half the reviews posted so far say a sentence or two about the music, make a tired joke, post a poor score, and sign off. It wouldn't matter what Coldplay produced; the reviews would be roughly the same.

This is good stuff, and generally I'd agree with you. But it's been clear for many years that Coldplay's music is almost never reviewed on the merits. Half the reviews posted so far say a sentence or two about the music, make a tired joke, post a poor score, and sign off. It wouldn't matter what Coldplay produced; the reviews would be roughly the same.

Fair point, although it doesn't mean people think this rationally when their brains are clouded with enthusiasm.

On this one it really won't matter to me much what the critics say.

I've heard it - and to me, it's brilliant.

Yep. This was like my first album that I cared for every single track. A good album tells a very good solid story plus in a smooth transition between songs was a big plus. This wasn't present much on Coldplay (MX tried it but I think it could be improved a lil bit)

Guest howyousawtheworld

It's immensely better than MX which got too easy a ride from critics and I would argue is worse than the 65 given on metacritic. Ghost Stories is coherent and neat, not flashy or overblown or grand. I think it's a lovely little album but that's the danger with them releasing a scaled down effort; in some circles it just doesn't compute with their expectations or hopes, where epic stadium anthems have been replaced by what they perceive as a boring ditties. In other circles it gives the detractors of the band the opportunity to dig out the old loves of being dull as dish water back at them.

It's not trying to take on the world and win. It's not trying to fill every seat at Wembley Stadium. It is what it is - a lovely, introspective and humble album.

It's not trying to take on the world and win. It's not trying to fill every seat at Wembley Stadium. It is what it is - a lovely, introspective and humble album.

Couldn't agree more. It's also the kind of album they tried to make during the making of MX, remember they did scrap an album that was almost done before starting over again. Just like when MX did come out, it divided opinion and for me I didn't like it bar a couple of tracks. Whereas now I'm loving GS, it's giving us a glimpse at the Coldplay we all fell in love with when Parachutes came out. As someone who is a journalist too, it is easier to crack a joke about the likes of Coldplay because that's going to go down better with your readers, not that I would. I'm not reviewing the album but I know the person who is for the site I'm with is giving it a good one so far.

The most important thing though, isn't whether the band are happy with it or that the critics give it good reviews, it's what you think of it, nothing else should be matter to you apart from your own opinion on the album.

That's because they were expecting an album full of hits, and all they got was a sky full of stars.

The Grammys are so illegitimate nowadays though. They really only nominate the most popular and commercially safe albums and artists for the awards to attract viewers and such these days.

I'm just gonna say - Best Song - Lorde - Royals.

Critic reviews usually don't matter to most when it comes to music. They more often effect consumers in regards to movies, games, etc. but most music reviews only have an effect if a work is universally seen as terrible or ground-breaking

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can see why it's ranked the lowest if they don't like slow love/breakup songs with simple lyrics. I like the album but the lyrics overall are pretty weak, not that Chris has ever been that great. I like how they're delivered in this album though. More of a mood album as in I can only listen to it when I'm in a certain mood. I like MX more but this is decent