✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Where do you want Coldplay's sound to go?

lennyrott2

Now that Coldplay is definitively in the Ghost Stories era and will likely be for the rest of the year (Atlas--GS--GS (Deluxe)--possible EP) we can now define its sound: a mix of the old (somber atmospherics, low-key, introspective lyrics) and the new (minimalist electronics, pop driven, occasionally big sounding.)

So where do you want their sound to go next? They have already successfully explored alternative rock, world and all out pop, stadium-rock, acoustic/piano ballads, shoegaze, electronica, even folk to some degree. Where could they go next?

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^Haha I love that video. But I am with you. My answer would be for folk. It is a genre that seems to have entered popular music recently with Mumford and Sons, Lumineers, and Of Monsters and Men, but in the Viva Era Coldplay killed it. I would love a mostly acoustic record with explosive folk jams. Jonny on electric, Guy on Mandolin, and Chris and Will jamming singing it out on guitars. That is my dream. Proper releases of Lukas, Famous Old Painters, Don Quixote would make me faint.

No folk for me either please, or at least not pop-folk (wouldn't mind them trying some Bob Dylan).

I would love for them to experiment more and go less radio-friendly. GS is a step in the right direction but I still feel like they need to write songs that a lot of people will buy (Magic, ASFOS). My biggest wish for them is to step away from that because it limits their development. Probably won't happen though.

Guest howyousawtheworld

I genuinely don't know where they will go or where they should go.

Actually, maybe go down the shoegaze route? Chinese Sleep Chant was superb. A full album like that would be excellent.

Or a Victorian themed concept album/a bit of ye olde English folk tales not too dissimilar from Cemeteries of London.

Wonder how a mix between Mylo Xyloto and Viva would sound. :D

LOL NO! Please no! Would sound like an over producing sh4858

I want to hear a mix between AROBTTH & Viva la Vida leftovers (Check youtube for coldplay "demos").

Metal :D

Anything like Chinese Sleep Chant would be great too!

Oh yes! Nice memory. Chinese Sleep Chant is awesome, I loved hearing the backing vocals.

But I want a more Piano Coldplay. Viva La Vida Or Death and All His Friends was a true piano album. I would love coldplay to return to the raw sounds of pianos and guitars.

Jonny needs an album to create havoc! Ghost Stories was really personal for Chris so we need a shoegaze album for Jonny, Metal for Will and Jazz+Blues for Guy, not asking for much lol

I can imagine they were wanting MX to be folk given the "acoustic album" thing. I'd like to see them follow through on that and do something that, in the Coldplay style with regard to ASFOS for example, steals today's pop rock styles and make it better.

A loud metallic/guitar/drums/bass album would be fun too (but with more pianos). Something with songs like Daylight, What If, Politik, GPASUYF, How You See the World, Twisted Logic, Yes, CSC.

Anything less commercial.. jazz, folk, country yes why not.. Instruments instruments instruments... organic, pure, raw, real sounds.. An album that shows that they still know they're a (soft) rock band.

An album thats not just created with these enormous stadium concerts in mind. And please no more collaborations with rnb or trance artists...

AMBIENT/Shoegaze or even Drone, I want 440950 songs like Midnight! They should use Chris's voice as an instrument, he doesn't even have to sing any lyrics, just let him hum or make up a fake language, put amazing reverbs on it and I'd die :dead:

AMBIENT/Shoegaze or even Drone, I want 440950 songs like Midnight! They should use Chris's voice as an instrument, he doesn't even have to sing any lyrics, just let him hum or make up a fake language, put amazing reverbs on it and I'd die :dead:

This.

I want more songs like Midnight. More Electronic ambience. (Dont kill me)

Definitely ditch the use of the electronic drum kit, whats the point of will if you are just going to use an electronic drum kit?

I want viva la vida part 2, simple

lol, the point is will plays the electronic drum kit.

Midnight-like songs would be cool. What I'd like to see is the use of the more traditional Coldplay setup to mimic electronic-ambient and EDM style music. Kind of like what they did with ASFOS but to a wider range of electronic-genres.

lol, the point is will plays the electronic drum kit.

lolol response of the century. I'm sick of people complaining about the electronic drums meaning not-Will. Sure you can have a stylistic disagreement about it, but it's most definitely 100% Will Champion programming and playing those drums.