✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Where do you want Coldplay's sound to go?

lennyrott2

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

lolol response of the century. I'm sick of people complaining about the electronic drums meaning not-Will. Sure you can have a stylistic disagreement about it, but it's most definitely 100% Will Champion programming and playing those drums.

Haha exactly thank you!

I honestly think that with the past three concept albums, Coldplay have really backed themselves into a corner (in a good way) as far as where they go next stylistically.

Think about it this way-- they can't go big/bloated bombast because they covered that partially in viva but definitely in MX.

They can't really go any poppier after MX and certain parts of GS. Also, they have pretty much hit a dead end with electronic music with ghost stories-- I really don't think they have anywhere left to go in that spectrum (another electronic infused album would be too similar to GS, and they never do the same thing twice).

Because of these things, I think that Coldplay have finally set themselves up to create a proper follow up to AROBTTH (or at least an album with a similar sound/ instrunentation).

Consider that this would make sense given Ghost Stories' parachutesesque vibe-- they will most likely follow up with LP7 in 2015 with an uptempo straight-up rock album with songs sounding similar to the bonus track "ghost story" on the Target edition (perhaps this was a preview of what to come?)

What do you guys think?

^ I think that is a solid prediction actually! I think that after an album like Ghost Stories or MX they will use electronics more sparingly in the future. I would love an album that sounds like Ghost Story. That song mixed electronics and instruments really well. They just played A Whisper recently, and we know they are working on music, so maybe a modern follow up to A Rush is due!!! Lets hope so!

I've said it before, I want them to make a rock album with loud guitars. I believe they can do it because in their live shows Jonny's guitar is very prominent and loud and crunchy. They have showed that they are capable of this with their live shows. I want them to unleash Jonny! I also liked how during the Viva sessions, Will was messing with different time signatures. Songs like Glass of Water, 42, Death and All His Friends, Hurts Like Heaven(live), etc. I'd also like it if they could not drown out Jonnys guitar in the studio version of the songs.

From the fact that they recently played a whisper, and quite well i might add, and also the song ghost story makes me think that the next album will be perhaps AROBTTH pt. 2 :) or at least I could dream. But seriously look at what radiohead did with their 7th album, "in rainbows" it's like they took every trick they learned from every album they made to that point and made, IMO the quientesential radiohead album. I hope and believe coldplay will do something similar, they've created and crafted their own sound through the years, now they can just make a "coldplay" album. A album that is their own genre. Then after that they can do whatever the hell they want!

AMBIENT POST DUSTUP ALL THE WAY. Lets face it, coldplay's signature sound is that beautiful effects that they put behind their songs. The background synth and reverb that creates a very atmospheric effect. Classic coldplay. Thats why people didn't like magic until half way through, when the synth kicked in. If they were to take that further, go all the way, they would become ambient. They already have done many ambient songs like Midnight, The Escapist and O part2/reprise. And (in my opinion) they are the best coldplay songs.

Coldplay are already masters of ambience, (which probably has something to do with Brian Eno because he is the great lord of ambience). And post-dubstep, or Chillstep, well thats just heavier ambience really. Its would be so far for coldplay to go from post-rock to ambient to Chillstep. But people don't get it confused with real dupstep, the angry/industrial stuff. Coldplay would be awful at that. This is the kind of think I mean.. [video=youtube;PAvdqEsobaw]

This genre is defiantly not a dead end for coldplay.

But in the end, i guess they should do what makes them happy, not what their fans want.

^ I really don't like dubstep, but this is about as much as I can tolerate :sweatdrop:

The way the voice is disorted and used as a melody is pretty amazing though, I can totally picture Chris doing that!

I wouldn't mind a AROBTTH 2.0 either :wacko:

Ahh... quite a few choices...

I agree ambient/chillstep would be good if Midnight if anything to go by.

If CSC was shoegaze then that would be cool too.

Not sure what counts as progressive/art rock.

I always wanted them to go a bit further into the rock area but I feel like it'll never happen, at least not alternative bc of AROBTTH :(

Coldplay need a guitar driven record to become extremely popular with it's hardcore fans again. Something like an Alt rock record like AM from the arctic monkeys or a punk rock record which had really basic songs but kinda heavy. Coldplay just using normal instruments would be amazing!

Coldplay need a guitar driven record to become extremely popular with it's hardcore fans again. Something like an Alt rock record like AM from the arctic monkeys or a punk rock record which had really basic songs but kinda heavy. Coldplay just using normal instruments would be amazing!

Yes, absolutely, well maybe not really loud punk rock, but anything more alternative. Looking online, I'm amazed that there are still so many 'old' fans, who still call themselves a fan while they only like (love!) the first 2 albums. Those 2 albums are so memorable and just very special to a lot of people..

Coldplay seems to not really realise what it would mean, what effect it would have. So they should start listening to fans. I believe most people want them to make (soft) rock music again. They are a band and Ghost stories doesn't really represent that with many of the tracks.

Isn't it strange.. during the Viva period.. I could not imagen myself wishing that Coldplay should put more instruments in their music.