✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

U2 release new album Songs of Innocence for FREE!

Sparky

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a bit like Prince giving his latest album free with newspapers or other artists giving away albums, shows that the real money for being in a band will come from touring the album.

I predict a tour announcement for a tour similar in size to the 360 tour in the next few weeks taking over 2015/16

Really a terrible album. It sounds so old and boring. This is why i like Coldplay's music more. GS is 1000times better then this.

At least be grateful for U2's existence. There would be no Coldplay without them. I do like Songs of Innocence but their albums such as War, The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum, and Achtung Baby are true masterpieces.

Such a brilliant album, its grown on me further since the release. Before, nothing much stood out but still liked it but upon getting to the known the songs more, they really come to life.

The Miracle is great and energetic, reminds me of Vertigo. Every Breaking Wave is a standout for me now, the lyrics are beautiful, California is catchy, Iris is one of their best, a classic I reckon and the beginning of it reminds me of Ultraviolet! Sleep Like A Baby Tonight is brilliant, similar to I Am The Walrus (Bono's version) as someone else pointed out and The Troubles is another different song which I really enjoy.

The 4/5 star reviews its been getting are justified imo, as good or even better than HTDAAB!

It is really really good. After you get over the excitement of the sudden free release & listen to it more than once, it keeps getting even better. What stood for me were the lyrics;they feel true, emotional & quite personal. At first listen only Song for someone was stuck in my brain, but when I replayed the album, I found myself loving all the songs! Iris is my favorite now, Every breaking wave is a close 2nd.

Bono's voice sounds fantastic. The production feels smooth. This is the sound of U2. These songs are going to be classics soon :)

For those who didn't like the album at first listen, give it another try, you will discover new things every time.

For me it's their best album since Pop. The lyrics are great, meaningful and not clunky. Danger Mouse's production gives the songs a modern feel, yet it's still evocotive of the post-punk era in which they started. Next year is going to be crazy with a bunch of bands I love touring, U2, Coldplay, Foo Fighters.

For me it's their best album since Pop. The lyrics are great, meaningful and not clunky. Danger Mouse's production gives the songs a modern feel, yet it's still evocotive of the post-punk era in which they started. Next year is going to be crazy with a bunch of bands I love touring, U2, Coldplay, Foo Fighters.

Guest howyousawtheworld
Such a brilliant album, its grown on me further since the release. Before, nothing much stood out but still liked it but upon getting to the known the songs more, they really come to life.

The Miracle is great and energetic, reminds me of Vertigo. Every Breaking Wave is a standout for me now, the lyrics are beautiful, California is catchy, Iris is one of their best, a classic I reckon and the beginning of it reminds me of Ultraviolet! Sleep Like A Baby Tonight is brilliant, similar to I Am The Walrus (Bono's version) as someone else pointed out and The Troubles is another different song which I really enjoy.

The 4/5 star reviews its been getting are justified imo, as good or even better than HTDAAB!

Some very personal, deep and dark themes explored by Bono's lyrics for probably the first time since Pop. There's an instant intrigue as we know he's discussing his and their youthful lives. His lyrical themes are very widespread ranging from war, politics, childhood, love, loss, religion, parenthood, drug abuse and even on this album (if we are to believe reviewers) not afraid to confront something as dark and disturbing as child abuse in the church (Sleep Like A Baby Tonight). Bono is so much more than just some alleged po-faced rock star desperate to share the stage with world leaders on Africa. He shows that on this album. He's a man with a lot to say, which is 99% of the time worth listening to.

I only wish more people could write as diversely and as open about their thoughts rather than re treading the same old themes - mostly about love/you and me (Chris Martin I'm looking at you).

At least be grateful for U2's existence. There would be no Coldplay without them. I do like Songs of Innocence but their albums such as War, The Unforgettable Fire, The Joshua Tree, Rattle and Hum, and Achtung Baby are true masterpieces.

I think if Radiohead didnt excist then Coldplay wouldnt, but thats how i think about it. Radiohead and Coldplay are still both progressive with there new albums, they both try new things, U2 is just standing still in the 80's and 90's sound.

I think if Radiohead didnt excist then Coldplay wouldnt, but thats how i think about it. Radiohead and Coldplay are still both progressive with there new albums, they both try new things, U2 is just standing still in the 80's and 90's sound.

No Radiohead without U2...

No sorry but Radiohead were never inspired by U2, more by Talking Heads, you can hear their sound all over Radiohead/On A Friday's demos

They were never inspired by u2 as much as talking heads or jeff buckley, but I'm pretty sure u2's style influenced bands around that time :) i might be wrong though...no Radiohead reference intended

They were never inspired by u2 as much as talking heads or jeff buckley, but I'm pretty sure u2's style influenced bands around that time :) i might be wrong though...no Radiohead reference intended

i cant ear U2 in any Radiohead work, really. And knowing Thom Yorke and his inner underground fanboy he must have hated U2 and Bono back then

Sorry if someone has already asked this but is there a way for Android users to get ahold of it? I would love to hear it. Obviously I can't use iTunes.

I'd download it, or go on Youtube and listen to the whole album (thats the easiest way)

The official physical release is October 13 I think. It will probably officially be on other platforms by then, not just itunes.