✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

Bono injured in Bike crash, has five-hour surgery

Sparky

:(

U2's Bono has five-hour surgery after bike injury, full recovery expected

Link

Bono is expected to make a full recovery after undergoing surgery in New York.

The U2 frontman was involved in a "high energy bicycle accident" on Sunday (November 16) while riding through Central Park.

music-u2-bono-1.jpg© PA Images / Manu Fernandez/AP

After attempting to avoid another rider, he suffered injuries to his eye, his left shoulder and his upper arm. His left humerus bone was shattered in six different places.

He was rushed to New York-Presbyterian/Weill Cornell Medical Centre, and is now recovering after a five-hour operation.

Orthopedic trauma surgeon Dean Lorich MD said in a statement: "[bono] was taken emergently to the operating room. Where the elbow was washed out and debrided, a nerve trapped in the break was moved and the bone was repaired with three metal plates and 18 screws."

music-mtv-ema-2014-167.jpg© Getty Images

He explained that Bono will "require intensive and progressive therapy", but "a full recovery is expected".

U2 have yet to announce whether Bono's injury may affect their upcoming tour. Their planned week-long residency on The Tonight Show has already been called off.

Bono had recorded segments for Band Aid 30's 'Do They Know It's Christmas?' in London the day before his injury.

just imagine bono riding a pink bike with his glasses and earrings

Seriously, imagine you're in the same situation as Bono..

I had an accident 5 years ago where I got my left arm fractured, I wasnt laughing and I really couldnt! I cried out loud and good thing my parents were there to help me out and my arm was shaking by itself feeling how deeply painful it was!

it sounds like a terrible accident & serious injuries too :(

When the band wrote "we are one man down" I felt someone stab me in the heart. the phrase felt so scary & painful :(

I wish him a speedy & full recovery. #GetWellBOno

• 1 month later...

So sad for him and U2 biggest fans:

The U2 singer broke bones in his hand in a bicycle accident in November

ap969905307794.jpg?w=1100

U2 frontman Bono has revealed that a bike accident in New York could have a devastating impact on his music.

In a blog post published on Jan. 1, Bono described the fall-out of a November bicycle accident in New York, where he broke his arm in six places and fractured his eye socket, hand and shoulder blade. With references to painkillers and recovery, Bono noted in the post on the band’s website, “As I write this, it is not clear that I will ever play guitar again.”

He continues: “I personally would very much miss fingering the frets of my green Irish falcon or my (red) Gretsch. Just for the pleasure, aside from writing tunes.”

But the 54-year-old singer also described his resolve to recover from his injuries and join his group for its upcoming Innocence and Experience tour, which is slated to begin in May. “The consequences of this freak accident are significant enough that I will have to concentrate hard to be ready for the U2 tour in fitness terms,” he wrote. “As a result I have cancelled every public appearance and decided this missive is all the communication I can manage for the first half of 2015, beyond muttering and singing to myself of course.”

http://time.com/3651919/bono-u2-accident-guitar/

The U2 frontman, Bono, has said that he "may never play guitar again" following his bike accident in New York last November.

Ah, very sad :( As long as the band can still perform properly, though they will probably have to re-arrange sets.

Bullshit, I've seen people playing guitar with their freaking FEET!

He can do it, he just has to practise really hard to get his inured hand moving, even with a stiff hand one can play the guitar, you just have to find ways to make it work!

Bullshit, I've seen people playing guitar with their freaking FEET!

He can do it, he just has to practise really hard to get his inured hand moving, even with a stiff hand one can play the guitar, you just have to find ways to make it work!

It may take more time for recovery. He will get better soon :)