✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Strokes

mburn

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What a story mathieu! I would have completely freak out if I had been in that situation. But I remember I've done that for one concert (buying ticket at the venue) and the ticket tout was so aggressive with me. By chance I waited enough to buy a cheaper one that the face value.

Came there at 11am with my sister and had quite a fun day queuing and talking to people.
:cool:

The supporting act was the Cribs, but no Johnny Marr in sight!
If I'm not wrong he left the band few months ago.

Concerning Angles, I was so glad they played Machu Picchu, which sounds extremely good live! BUT WHAT THE FUCK GUYS, WHY NO TAKEN FOR A FOOL? D: I was so looking forward to screaming “Sisteeer!” haha. Really liked Under Cover of Darkness (Valensi is such a guitar god, was so amazed to see his fingers running on the guitar neck), Life is simple in the moonlight and Gratisfaction.
I can't believe they didn't play Taken For A Fool! It's the new single, what's up with that? :freak:
I was a disapointed by Machu Picchu, it was so flat but Under Cover of Darkness was really really good! And yes no Taken For A Fool! It's a single and it's one of the best new song :(

Julian had a great voice compared to some videos I’ve seen from their first shows on this tour. I was glad he sang that well cause I thought he’d lost his so special voice, seems like he didn’t!

Now the negative parts. As soon as the lights came back on, my sister looked at her watch cause we felt like it went by so fast… and it did! Damn it they played for less than 1h15, was expecting at least 1h30 considering it was their own show and the price we paid for those tickets :/ That really wasn’t cool of them, everyone was complaining about that after the show, was a shame.

I saw them in a festval and they played 1h10 with the same setlist (just no break before the encore). They could have play few more song at your gig (it's not like they have only one album).

Oh and Even I say a lot of negatif things about them I still had a good time. I wasn't expecting more but I'm not going to say it was fabulous if that's not what I've felt. I wasn't close to the stage (but god I had an amazing vue) and I could not see their face, so I can only judge on their attitude.

And I was so surprise by Julian voice. It was really good. And god I love his voice so much. Every time I listen to it I'm in heaven :awesome:

Perrine your pictures are so great, as always :)

Sounds like it was awesome; glad you enjoyed yourself! Yeah, they never seem to play for that long. Part of it, I think, is the fact that they have a lot of songs that are on the short side. Maybe if they add in a couple more FIOE songs to future setlists it will be of a better length (wishful thinking :P)

Yeah you're right, just had a look at the length of their songs and they all last about 3 minutes, I guess all the difference is there, cause a 19 songs set is pretty normal to me :nice:

Actually FIOE is my least favorite album by them, I just wish they have played Heart in a cage or Ize of the world!

JESUS, PERRINE, YOUR PICTURES ARE AMAZING :dead:

I'm glad you had a good time! But yeah, like Katie said, they never play much longer than an hour and a half max, which I think is kind of lame. And as for their sound...I really think they need to fire their sound team and get a new one. They've had way too many issues on that front this year alone, and the gig I went to in 2006 sounded pretty bad too. I don't think it's the band, I think it's whoever sets up for them.

I can't believe they didn't play Taken For A Fool! It's the new single, what's up with that? :freak:

Maybe we can talk more about it on Skype tomorrow! :D

OMG THANKS CHELSEA! :blush:

I think that's about the only thing which keeps their concerts from being perfect, they just should play a couple more songs or play longer versions of them!

Oh I'm pretty sure it's not the band either! I guess the venue doesn't have the best sound ever and yeah they really should fire the sound engineer xD

I know that's too bad, I love TFAF! Maybe they just wanted to say "See, we have a new single and we don't even play it, fuck off record company" haha

Yep I hope we'll manage to be online at the same time :awesome:

I was a disapointed by Machu Picchu, it was so flat but Under Cover of Darkness was really really good! And yes no Taken For A Fool! It's a single and it's one of the best new song :(

I saw them in a festval and they played 1h10 with the same setlist (just no break before the encore). They could have play few more song at your gig (it's not like they have only one album).

Oh and Even I say a lot of negatif things about them I still had a good time. I wasn't expecting more but I'm not going to say it was fabulous if that's not what I've felt. I wasn't close to the stage (but god I had an amazing vue) and I could not see their face, so I can only judge on their attitude.

And I was so surprise by Julian voice. It was really good. And god I love his voice so much. Every time I listen to it I'm in heaven :awesome:

Perrine your pictures are so great, as always :)

Imo Machu Picchu isn't a song during which you go crazy live, I still think it's brilliant :nice:

Yeah they should have played more songs, that was really disappointing...

Well I'm glad you still had a good time! And I know, Julian's voice is just so special and beautiful and ugh :dead:

EDIT Fuuuu that was my 10000th post D:

Yeah you're right, just had a look at the length of their songs and they all last about 3 minutes, I guess all the difference is there, cause a 19 songs set is pretty normal to me :nice:

Actually FIOE is my least favorite album by them, I just wish they have played Heart in a cage or Ize of the world!

It's my least favorite too, but hearing either of those songs live would be great. And Red Light. Especially Red Light, for me.

It's my least favorite too, but hearing either of those songs live would be great. And Red Light. Especially Red Light, for me.

It's my least favourite album too (although I don't like Angles too much either). But the FIOE songs they played on their last tour translated much better live than some of the Angles songs.

It's my least favourite album too (although I don't like Angles too much either). But the FIOE songs they played on their last tour translated much better live than some of the Angles songs.

I don't know, I think some of what they've been playing off of Angles has sounded really good. Primarily Life Is Simple In The Moonlight and Gratisfaction, and Taken For A Fool when they actually play it. But I do wish they'd bring back the best of FIOE, like Ize of the World, because that was always excellent live as well.

FIOE is my second-favorite album of theirs (it would be my favorite if ITI wasn't basically the best thing I've ever heard in my life), and I would probably do lots of illegal and immoral things to hear them play Ize of the World (in my top three Strokes songs EVER) or Vision of Division or Electricityscape or Razorblade live :bomb:.

I think a lot of the Angles stuff sounds pretty awesome live as well, even if the album as a whole doesn't touch their first three for me. You're So Right is even better live for me, for example, and I think they're doing a great job with Machu Picchu, even though they had to tweak it slightly to make it work. From the times I've seen them on this tour and the streamed gigs of this tour I've watched, though, I feel like they have yet to really nail a live performance of Under Cover of Darkness, which is a shame, because that's one of my favorite Strokes songs ever.

EDIT: Ooh, that was my 9,000th post :lol: :dance:

I guess that shows how times have changed: my 9,000th post on a beloved Coldplay forum is in a Strokes thread :thinking:

FIOE is my second-favorite album of theirs (it would be my favorite if ITI wasn't basically the best thing I've ever heard in my life), and I would probably do lots of illegal and immoral things to hear them play Ize of the World (in my top three Strokes songs EVER) or Vision of Division or Electricityscape or Razorblade live :bomb:.

Never got to hear Razorblade, but Ize Of The World, Vision Of Division and Electricityscape sounded great live! They should at least bring one of those back.

Aww, I love your video, Jo! :dance:. I love that it actually shows the crowd, too, even though it makes it look kind of tame :P. My videos have no sense of the crowd whatsoever, not even the singing, which kind of sucks, but the audio's good, I suppose:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pPl1K1X-4ss]‪Machu PIcchu--The Strokes, Oxegen Festival, July 8, 2011‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=we8Cq8ry85o]‪You Only Live Once--The Strokes, Oxegen Festival, July 8 2011.‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LcNVImYp6cA]‪What Ever Happened?--The Strokes, Oxegen Festival, July 8, 2011‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yqtSh15kfMU]‪Gratisfaction--The Strokes, Oxegen Festival, July 8 2011‬‏ - YouTube[/ame]

My camera actually got some water damage during that set from the rain, I think, so now I have to go about seeing if I can get it repaired :sad:.

What kind of music does he play in his sets?

I have no idea--Albert and Nick etc usually DJ for more private events. Part of the reason I want to go is that I'd be really interested in hearing what he had to play. I bet even if it's not my vibe (I mean, who plays alternative rock to hipster Brooklyn parties?), it probably wouldn't be shit.

Aw Chelsea I wish I could go with you. Sucks to be 17 and live 8 hours from NYC. :P

UGH, I really just want to go with someone who would get why I'm there and wouldn't make me feel like I should be dancing or getting drunk or whatever it is people do at these things :P. Every Strokes person I know is either too young or too far away :sad:.

Loved your review and pictures Perrine! So happy that you had a good time :awesome:

OH btw I don't think I ever posted my little vid that I took at Oxegen, it's shaky (cos the crowd wasn't exactly still haha) and short cos my camera got knocked out of my hand cos of a crowd surfer but it's still something (i love how you can barely hear Julian singing over the crowd haha)

‪The Strokes: Under Cover of Darkness @ Oxegen 2011‬‏ - YouTube

Thanks hun!

Your vid is really cool as well! Love how you can't actually hear Julian xD

And I totally agree with what you said about festivals! I'd rather see my favorite bands at their own gigs though :nice:

Aww, I love your video, Jo! :dance:. I love that it actually shows the crowd, too, even though it makes it look kind of tame :P. My videos have no sense of the crowd whatsoever, not even the singing, which kind of sucks, but the audio's good, I suppose:

My camera actually got some water damage during that set from the rain, I think, so now I have to go about seeing if I can get it repaired :sad:.

Your vids are so great! The sound is really clear too, especially Julian's voice hehe :}

Oh god how can you scream like that? :D

I am totally crazy about that little high-pitched "whooo" Julian sings in Gratisfaction after "without big tears in his eyes", this isn't healthy D:

Here's my vid of You only live once :3

[ame=

]
[/ame]

No, this is not me singing :uhoh:

Perrine! I never gave you my Skype name! :stunned: Sorry, I've been running around lately. I'll send it to you on Facebook now.

FYI, Is This It was first released ten years ago this Saturday, July 30. It's the Australian release, whereas it took another month to come out in the UK and another month and a half after that to come out in the US, but there you go. 10 years of the best debut album ever (if you ask me) :bigcry:

It's hard for me to wrap my head around that even though I haven't been a fan for even half of those ten years. But now I'm beginning to think about how both of my favorite bands are a decade or so old......

^I maintain that The Strokes and Coldplay have a lot of similarities in a lot of realms. But I think you're the only person that would really agree with me on that :P

I agree with this as well. Chris Martin too by the way! I remember this really old (right before the release of AROBTTH I think) interview with Chris where he even said so (the lack of long solos, the focus on simple melodies, etc.).

I agree with this as well. Chris Martin too by the way! I remember this really old (right before the release of AROBTTH I think) interview with Chris where he even said so (the lack of long solos, the focus on simple melodies, etc.).

Do you happen to know which interview this was? I know there was the 100% Fuse one from 2005 right after X&Y where they mentioned how much they loved The Strokes, but if there's another one available I'd love to see it :wacky:

This is the quote from the interview I know, but it's not really the same idea that you're talking about:

"Sometimes you meet people when you're on a bit of a downer and they pick you up…you know, what's the people called in boxing when you're out there taking the punches and trying to give the punches, certain people give you the confidence in the breaks between rounds, and Ian McCulloch did it to us…and just last night, some of The Strokes were doing it to us as well. The Strokes are a classic band, you know. Sometimes you need that from your peers: a bit of encouragement."

Do you happen to know which interview this was? I know there was the 100% Fuse one from 2005 right after X&Y where they mentioned how much they loved The Strokes, but if there's another one available I'd love to see it :wacky:

This is the quote from the interview I know, but it's not really the same idea that you're talking about:

"Sometimes you meet people when you're on a bit of a downer and they pick you up…you know, what's the people called in boxing when you're out there taking the punches and trying to give the punches, certain people give you the confidence in the breaks between rounds, and Ian McCulloch did it to us…and just last night, some of The Strokes were doing it to us as well. The Strokes are a classic band, you know. Sometimes you need that from your peers: a bit of encouragement."

I can't remember. I know it was after a Strokes gig that Chris attended.

He attended one of their shows in NYC on the FIOE tour too, with Gwyneth. Apparently they hung out with the band after, but in some interview, Julian was reluctant to call them "friends" just because of that.

Oh well, I just have a nerdy like for having my favorite band talk about my other favorite band :P. Actually, when I met Will, we talked about The Strokes a bit :lol:.