✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

The Strokes

mburn

• Replies 2.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah, I've already seen them once this year, I'm seeing them on Sunday (:dance:) and I'm seeing them at Oxegen in July :P. I have NO RIGHT to complain at all, haha. It's just stupid that literally the only day I'm not available to go to Paris in July is the day they choose to play there, haha.

are ya going reading/leeds festival as well? :p

Nah, I'm not in England anymore then. I would if I was still around in August, though! I decided I had to go to Oxegen because it's The Strokes AND Coldplay on THE SAME STAGE, one right before the other. And I didn't win tickets to the BBC R1 Big Weekend :dozey:. But it would have been next to impossible for me to get up to Carlisle on that day anyway, I guess.

Can't believe I stayed up all night just to see them perform online :blank:

It was excellent though ! :awesome: Powerful ending with Reptilia, Last Nite and Take it or Leave it. I really liked it but hell it was so short... Exactly an hour and not much interraction with the audience.

I thought the Sweetlife setlist was good, except that they didn't play anything at all from FIOE, which was odd. BUT THEY PLAYED AUTOMATIC STOP. That was the only song they did that wasn't played at MSG.

really? Automatic Stop is THE SONG that i've been thinking of during like the last month in the "THEY NEED TO PLAY THIS" way, you know, so they better keep it on the setlist! ugh i love that songggggg

Yes they should, I love how it sounds live. The guitar is just killer.

They also played Under Control :dazzled:

Yes they did :wacky:

They've been playing it all tour, I think. It's my favorite <3

I just listened to Automatic Stop for the first time and I cant get over how beautiful it is..Since Im a new fan,Im trying to listen to all their music and I cant get over how I just love most of the songs..

Trying Your luck is a beautiful song..

oh and i CANT WAIT 'til i Chelsea gets back with her stories! atleast she FB'ed that she's on the barrier and that it was possibly the best concert of her life soooo she probably has some great stuff to share! :3

:lol: Oh, Jo :heart:.

IT WAS SO FUCKING AMAZING :bigcry:. Literally my only complaint was that it was so short: it was supposed to be an hour and fifteen and they only did an hour :dozey:. For a while it seemed like they were going to do an encore, but then they didn't. Ah well. I'm so happy I lasted at the barrier all day. WE CAN DO IT AT OXEGEN, JO! :dance:

I was also slightly disappointed that there were no songs from FIOE, but there's really nothing I can complain about in terms of setlist from them--there's nothing I'd ever be unhappy that they played. My only wish is that they open with "What Ever Happened?" at Oxegen because I STILL haven't heard that live and it's my all-time favorite. "AUTOMATIC STOP," THO. Before the show my friends and I were talking about what they might play, and one of my friends was like "oh, what if they play 'Automatic Stop?'" and I was like, "meh, they haven't in so long." We almost mauled each other to death with hugs and squees when we heard that riff, I swear.

The stream itself was much better than Coachella's, but they missed so many great little things that happened, and it made it seem almost boring. The crowd was SO responsive, so great, and I don't think that comes through on the video. Also, they didn't get a single shot of Fab smiling, missed Julian's epic mic-smash, didn't film Julian leaning over us (:P), missed Albert eating something onstage, and missed Albert and Nick doing a really cute high-five chest-bump. Inevitable, of course, but there were so many great little things that I'm sad I can't re-live, haha. The stream made it look routine, and it was as shows go, but there are always great little things that happen at gigs for any band that you can only see up close. I wish everyone could experience them.

This is my long-ass story here, if anyone else wants to read it. And these are the best of my photos.

I'm so happy for you ! It seemed so great !

The stream itself was much better than Coachella's, but they missed so many great little things that happened, and it made it seem almost boring. The crowd was SO responsive, so great, and I don't think that comes through on the video. Also, they didn't get a single shot of Fab smiling, missed Julian's epic mic-smash, didn't film Julian leaning over us (:P), missed Albert eating something onstage, and missed Albert and Nick doing a really cute high-five chest-bump. Inevitable, of course, but there were so many great little things that I'm sad I can't re-live, haha. The stream made it look routine, and it was as shows go, but there are always great little things that happen at gigs for any band that you can only see up close. I wish everyone could experience them.

Yeah the crowd didn't seem that responsive on the stream. So I didn't really understand why Julian was so "you're the best crowd ever" cause I didn't really hear singing and clapping and all this stuff... I'm glad it was even better than it seemed.

Maybe it was just because I was in the very front with all the big fans, but wow, that was one of the best crowds I've been in for any artist in terms of how much they were into it. It's a shame that doesn't come through on the stream, really, because even The Strokes said so multiple times, like Julian at the actual show and Julian, Albert, and Nikolai on Twitter after. It was absolutely insane. I'm sure the front was really supportive at Coachella too, but where I was halfway through the crowd most people weren't that into it. I think it was much more of a whole-venue party at Sweetlife, judging by how much noise there was. Just watch "Hard To Explain" on the stream where there's actually some light on the crowd and you can see all the crazy dancing, and imagine that being the whole venue for the whole hour they were performing.

:lol: Oh, Jo :heart:.

IT WAS SO FUCKING AMAZING :bigcry:. Literally my only complaint was that it was so short: it was supposed to be an hour and fifteen and they only did an hour :dozey:. For a while it seemed like they were going to do an encore, but then they didn't. Ah well. I'm so happy I lasted at the barrier all day. WE CAN DO IT AT OXEGEN, JO! :dance:

I was also slightly disappointed that there were no songs from FIOE, but there's really nothing I can complain about in terms of setlist from them--there's nothing I'd ever be unhappy that they played. My only wish is that they open with "What Ever Happened?" at Oxegen because I STILL haven't heard that live and it's my all-time favorite. "AUTOMATIC STOP," THO. Before the show my friends and I were talking about what they might play, and one of my friends was like "oh, what if they play 'Automatic Stop?'" and I was like, "meh, they haven't in so long." We almost mauled each other to death with hugs and squees when we heard that riff, I swear.

This is my long-ass story here, if anyone else wants to read it. And these are the best of my photos.

I was at this show, too. The Strokes were great. the concert venue is literally right across the street from my new apartment, so that was convenient as well. I read your review. That pretty much sums it up.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vIqIiPbsxo]YouTube - Julian Casablancas- interview Le Grand Journal[/ame]

the lighting at this studio must be amazing,because looks so beautiful here and I remember the interview with Chris here, he also looked amazing

the lighting at this studio must be amazing,because looks so beautiful here and I remember the interview with Chris here, he also looked amazing

Yes, people always look nice in this show ! And most of the time it's really great. I mean here they say stupid stuff but usually it's interesting. And it's the only show where we have foreign (?) and good artists.

I read on some blog that the Strokes will be in the Grand Journal for the "Festival de Cannes" :awesome: . Anyone heard about that ?

I just read a review of the strokes at the New Orleans festival today..Says they didnt seem into it and cut it short by 30 min..

Everytime I read something like this I get sad.Since I only really discovered them the last few months,I feel like I missed out on their best years..

http://www.nola.com/jazzfest/index.ssf/2011/05/the_strokes_played_an_abbrevia.html

how do i get the whole article to show up??

Awesome! Where were you in the crowd? :D

I was out in the lawn area. I didn't go over until way later in the evening. I really only wanted to see The Strokes. They were really good. This was the 3rd time I've seen them, and it may have been their best performance. I think they were going to come out for an encore, but they were pushing the 10:00 deadline, so I'm sure they were subject to curfew. Columbia is a residential area and planned community. Both factors do not lend to playing beyond the curfew time. There are major fines for going over by even a few minutes. By the way, the entire Strokes Sweetlife set appears to be available on YouTube. I have not gone through every one, but it appears all the songs are there in pretty good quality.