✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you hear that coldplay song?

flockofbirds222

Anyone here remember that? I bashed Major Minus whenever I brought it up?

Yes, I do remember and I could never understand it because to me, it's one of the best songs from MX.

Speed of Sound is not for yawning ! :'(

Agree that Trouble is such a great song...all of Parachutes is like a warm blanket to me that you can snuggle up to :)

As for Lhuna...that it creeps me out somewhat. It sounds so otherworldly, and a bit too sensual for my liking. But I actually thing its sound is very original and I don't really dislike it, I just don't frequently listen to it...

A Ghost

• Replies 459
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, I do remember and I could never understand it because to me, it's one of the best songs from MX.

Speed of Sound is not for yawning ! :'(

Agree that Trouble is such a great song...all of Parachutes is like a warm blanket to me that you can snuggle up to :)

As for Lhuna...that it creeps me out somewhat. It sounds so otherworldly, and a bit too sensual for my liking. But I actually thing its sound is very original and I don't really dislike it, I just don't frequently listen to it...

A Ghost

Well worry no more since it's a new song to my ears now and I like it! Even though it's now once again my least favorite song from MX, I still really like it, especially the part from 2:05 or something on. That really calm chill part then the guitar solo is completely epic. That's the greatest part of the song for me. But the single most disappointing moment in MX for me is the sudden ending to this really fast song and then the really slow calm U.F.O comes on. That tracklist decision to my ears makes 0 sense whatsoever and so I usually have to put something in between there to gradually slow things down to U.F.O. Really Major Minus shouldn't end like that anyway. It almost seems like Birds' twin in that way, they both end really suddenly like that and it's disappointing. At least in AHFOD it makes sense in a way since the birds chirping follow after to lead up to Hymn For The Weekend. The flow of Mylo is completely ruined at the end of Major Minus and that's the one problem I have with Mylo. As they say, nothing can be perfect as they say... at least @SprayCanSoulGuy edited Birds so that it's not so abrupt at the end. Maybe one day someone can edit Mylo Xyloto and fix the flow problem there!! :D

But yeah, that song has really grown on me and I really do like it now. It stands out so much from the rest of the album seeing as it's not necessarily a happy track, which I like. The problem with AHFOD for me is that nearly every single track is happy, the exceptions being Everglow, Kaleidoscope and Colour Spectrum somewhat. With Mylo you have Us Against The World (sort of), Major Minus, U.F.O (sort of), Princess of China, Up In Flames, and Up With The Birds (although that part at the end is hopeful, which is the absolute perfect way to end off the album.) That's another reason why I like MX, contrary to popular belief it's not all lollipops and rainbows. AHFOD is closer to the truth to being all lollipops and rainbows, literally! Not that there's anything wrong with happy songs, but an album full of them... a little much, I like it shared with more melancholic/fast but not necessarily happy songs such as Major Minus. Which is why in my eyes Mylo Xyloto is a gem. Okay, another thing, Major Minus truly has much more of a rock feel to it then most of the other tracks on the album. Not even a pop rock feel really, just a jammin out rockier type. Again, gives Mylo more variety which I feel in an album is required, but if overused can destroy that central vibe an album generally needs to be good at least in my eyes.

The way the acoustic guitar sounds still isn't that great in my opinion and the live version still really improves on it but overall, it's really grown on me.

Sure you get the point now, just like with every other post I've overexplained it....

EDIT: One more comment on Major Minus. The message of it is awesome. Gives you that kinda energy you know...

Also a unique sounding song with the way the vocals sound and really everything about it, forgot to mention that originally. Not now! :wink2:

I'll let @I ran away do this one. She deserves it. :D

(actually, in the meantime why don't I give my view on it: Sublime. The song only gets better as it goes on. Every decision they made was right. The one two three will thing in the beginning, the other instruments following after the drums, in the second repetition of the verse/chorus they add strings to give the song a growing feel, the piano solo part thing which sounds so beautiful and melancholic and fits perfectly right after the second chorus, then the string buildup into the emotional explosion of the song. Perfectly executed, well done Coldplay. A masterpiece.

Good for listening too on an overcast/rainy day on the outskirts of towns with a slightly brownish color of clouds in the sky. :))

• Like 1

Oh OK :D

Well, its hard to put it in words really...to me it gives such a strong feeling of melancholy and nostalgia at the same time. I don't know why, but if I had to pick a single song that describes how I feel about life in general, this would be it (because of the sound, not the lyrics which I actually cannot relate to as much). I know this all sounds very fuzzy. To me it's a song best listened to in moving vehicles when you stare out of the window, it always had this theme of leaving/travelling for me (well, it is called I Ran Away, after all) and leaving something behind as well as starting somewhere new. I think the "moving" theme also crept into our video...

It's amazing what three guitar chords can do, isn't it ?

You described the song very nicely, @cp3176 ! I agree with all of your points about I Ran Away, except that I don't associate it with cloudy skies or brownish clouds. :)

• Like 2

Oh OK :D

Well, its hard to put it in words really...to me it gives such a strong feeling of melancholy and nostalgia at the same time. I don't know why, but if I had to pick a single song that describes how I feel about life in general, this would be it (because of the sound, not the lyrics which I actually cannot relate to as much). I know this all sounds very fuzzy. To me it's a song best listened to in moving vehicles when you stare out of the window, it always had this theme of leaving/travelling for me (well, it is called I Ran Away, after all) and leaving something behind as well as starting somewhere new. I think the "moving" theme also crept into our video...

It's amazing what three guitar chords can do, isn't it ?

You described the song very nicely, @cp3176 ! I agree with all of your points about I Ran Away, except that I don't associate it with cloudy skies or brownish clouds. :)

I really agree with your view on the song a lot! It's a masterpiece.

As for the moving theme, I noticed that! Moving seemed to be a big part in your music video which I really like. It really fit with the song.

I find it so puzzling how Coldplay can make the most beautiful songs out of stuff like that. They really have a knack for it. I try to make music and some of it is really good (more like a few) but the others just don't have that special "ring" to it... Only Coldplay and a few other bands have that extra special "ring" to their song for some reason that makes it their own really good!!

I'm weird like that, I associate certain times of day and scenes with different songs in my life. Don't know what it is, I do have photographic memory and am very "visual" so that I think plays a large part in why I associate songs with these things ! :)

EDIT: I'll let you pick the next song :D

• Like 1

Only Coldplay and a few other bands have that extra special "ring" to their song for some reason that makes it their own really good!!

I know, right ? Sometimes I find artists from which I like one or two songs. But there is no other artist from which I like almost the entire discography (well at least the one before 2009, lol).

I am a person who goes a lot by melody in what I like (although melody is just one part of the equation...) and I think Coldplay are melodically second to none.

Hmmm...Things I Don't Understand !

• Like 1

I know, right ? Sometimes I find artists from which I like one or two songs. But there is no other artist from which I like almost the entire discography (well at least the one before 2009, lol).

I am a person who goes a lot by melody in what I like (although melody is just one part of the equation...) and I think Coldplay are melodically second to none.

Same :D there's actually quite a few artists in which I do like the majority of their discography but it's only like their top 5-15 or so songs, depending on the artist, that have the special thing that Coldplay has. And even then there's just something that makes Coldplay Coldplay. :D

Two things:

1. The song Things I Don't Understand has a very personal meaning for me just by hearing the title and today it resonates even more.

2. About that little off topic chat, Coldplay is the only band I listen to their full discography (except for a couple of songs) I've heard other bands and singers but somehow they don't catch my attention. I might hear new releases but I don't get as excited as I get when Coldplay announce something new.

Let's move onto the next song

Miracles

• Like 2

1. The song Things I Don't Understand has a very personal meaning for me just by hearing the title and today it resonates even more.

I wanted to say that it means a lot to me as well, one of my all time Coldplay favourites. It is so beautiful and I love the lyrics a lot, they resonate a lot with me because I tend to dwell on this kind of questions a lot too. I also think it has a brilliant melody and a soaring feeling and could thus easily have been a single.

For Miracles: flying !

I used to dislike that song, because I found it so generic with the pop drums and yeah-yeah-yeahs and what not, but I have grown to like it more in the meantime and it has become a regular on my playlist when I am "floating up above the world now", i.e. sitting in an airplane. Or when I'm just in a very happy mood.

Glass of Water

• Like 2

LOL I thought that "Things I Don't Understand" originally referred to your own post and not something to do next. (Think it was both honestly but at the time it went over my head that that was the next song to be commented on...)

I wanted to say that it means a lot to me as well, one of my all time Coldplay favourites. It is so beautiful and I love the lyrics a lot, they resonate a lot with me because I tend to dwell on this kind of questions a lot too. I also think it has a brilliant melody and a soaring feeling and could thus easily have been a single.

For Miracles: flying !

I used to dislike that song, because I found it so generic with the pop drums and yeah-yeah-yeahs and what not, but I have grown to like it more in the meantime and it has become a regular on my playlist when I am "floating up above the world now", i.e. sitting in an airplane. Or when I'm just in a very happy mood.

Glass of Water

You know Coldplay were good in the X&Y Era when one of their B-sides is considered strong enough to be a single :)

Don't know why they left that off the album. I could easily see it replacing the title track on there...

Wow, it seems that Newplay is growing on you recently... lol. I absolutely love Miracles, and yes it's a bit poppy but I mean just compare it to so many songs today, it sounds like something sent straight from heaven compared to mainstream radio stuff today...

About Glass Of Water. this song is totally awesome, and unique! I'm pretty sure the majority of Oldplayers would like songs like these if Coldplay were to make energetic songs, because at least instrumentally it sounds very happy. I love the explosion and then it shifts to a different unconventional time signature as well... just this whole song is very nice to me. As for what I visualize, a sort of a cloudy sky yet with the sun starting to shine after it just rained, somewhere on this kind of gravel/dirt driveway thing, which is a similar sight to what I see with a few other Prospekt's March songs...

In My Place

• Like 1

LOL :D same

Sublime. This song always gets me to smile at the start. The lyrics sound so comfortable and warming with the background, created such a beautiful heartfelt warm atmosphere for someone you love so much. I always imagine it being a warm night outside and listening to this song (or most Parachutes songs for that matter) inside with just a softly glowing orange lamp on, to give the same feel as the album cover does... And maybe with the glow of the streetlights coming in through the window too, gives that same sort of feeling... Overall it's such a nice song to listen to. One of my faves for sure.

What If

• Like 1

LOL :D same

Sublime. This song always gets me to smile at the start. The lyrics sound so comfortable and warming with the background, created such a beautiful heartfelt warm atmosphere for someone you love so much. I always imagine it being a warm night outside and listening to this song (or most Parachutes songs for that matter) inside with just a softly glowing orange lamp on, to give the same feel as the album cover does... And maybe with the glow of the streetlights coming in through the window too, gives that same sort of feeling... Overall it's such a nice song to listen to. One of my faves for sure.

What If

Anxiety, fear of being hurt, not trusting but willing to try

Daylight

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1