✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

MOTS World Tour - What Songs Will Sound Better?

Doomotron

First of all, happy new year. Secondly, there are some songs that just sound better live. It isn't every song - many sound worse - but for some it makes the song. For me, Hymn For The Weekend was an alright song at its initial release. It wasn't well received by the community, but I liked its choruses, which I still think are among the most impactful Coldplay have ever done. But the rest of the song felt a bit empty (largely down to the repetitive instrumental and the uncomplicated lyrics). But the live version... Amazing. The Buenos Aires version is spectacular. It has so much energy that it has made me reconsider the whole song. It is one of the few times when I not just feel the live version is better than the studio version, but that it also redefined how I looked at the song.

But what about MOTS? Coloratura, People Of The Pride, My Universe and Higher Power have been played live. It may be more, but out of those I don't think any sound better. Coloratura sounds a bit like a demo, POTP (from the recordings I've heard) is a bit heavy, and MU and HP just sound like studio recordings. But what about Biutyful, or Let Somebody Go? I think there's potential for all of the songs, but what do you think?

Happy new year!

It's very subjective, what you call sounding better. Live mixes are always different and have some little rearrangements compared to studio versions. You can't really compare a live mix you are hearing at actual concert and the studio version. First of all you don't have such sound system at home and secondly there is a magic of actually seeing musicians play and hearing that sound coming out. It is totally different energy and mixing of sound because of the concert environment. I can imagine for example Guy's bass on Higher Power thumping through whole body of everyone in live concert and just giving everyone a rush to dance. Seeing and feeling songs live may often change your perspective of songs totally.

But you can compare a recording of live version and studio version to some extent, but still these sound deliberately different. Studio versions are always more detailed, polished and more comfortably and easily listenable, while live versions are more raw, heavy and with more dynamics, because the idea is to give you a feel that you are at the concert.

So far what I have heard and seen from videos of MOTS songs performed live, they all look and sound great. The whole package with visuals is great and I imagine it comes across even better, while being there in audience. It seems to be a rule that Coldplay songs are great in a big live environment with fans and I can't see a reason why it would be different this time.

There is a tendency with Coldplay for studio recordings to feel a bit more spacious and empty than live recordings. I'm sure there are examples of songs I actually prefer from the studio, but not many. 

With MOTS, I'm not feeling particularly hopeful. For one, I struggle to see how songs like Biutfyul and LSG will be performed live. Biutfyul apparently went through a lot of revisions for Everyday Life, so maybe they'll perform a totally different version on acoustic instruments? LSG doesn't necessarily need Selena Gomez, I guess I'd be interested in hearing Jonny live here but I just don't like this song very much. Infinity Sign is likely not being performed live, and personally I think MU doesnt sound very good so far live.

So that leaves us with HP, which sounds studio quality, Coloratura which sounds pretty solid, Heart which I actually prefer live and POTP, which has better distortion and a much better solo. Of course, I suspect Humankind is going to BOP live and I'm excited for that.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, lennyrott1 said:

Infinity Sign is likely not being performed live, and personally I think MU doesnt sound very good so far live.

Infinity Sign has been used in the past, but as a pre-recorded interlude like the MX reprises and Colour Spectrum.

On 1/3/2022 at 1:22 PM, CP-EST said:

Happy new year!

It's very subjective, what you call sounding better. Live mixes are always different and have some little rearrangements compared to studio versions. You can't really compare a live mix you are hearing at actual concert and the studio version. First of all you don't have such sound system at home and secondly there is a magic of actually seeing musicians play and hearing that sound coming out. It is totally different energy and mixing of sound because of the concert environment. I can imagine for example Guy's bass on Higher Power thumping through whole body of everyone in live concert and just giving everyone a rush to dance. Seeing and feeling songs live may often change your perspective of songs totally.

But you can compare a recording of live version and studio version to some extent, but still these sound deliberately different. Studio versions are always more detailed, polished and more comfortably and easily listenable, while live versions are more raw, heavy and with more dynamics, because the idea is to give you a feel that you are at the concert.

So far what I have heard and seen from videos of MOTS songs performed live, they all look and sound great. The whole package with visuals is great and I imagine it comes across even better, while being there in audience. It seems to be a rule that Coldplay songs are great in a big live environment with fans and I can't see a reason why it would be different this time.

Unfortunately I don't know what Coldplay songs sound like live in person as I can't go to concerts. If I did though, I'd probably spend much of the time thinking to myself "This isn't as good as the version on the CD I bought for ten times less money", which I suppose defeats the purpose of going to a concert.

LSG could be performed live the same way as MU, with Selena on the screen behind the band. Since they've been using full playback for their MU performances (studio version) they could decide to do the same for LSG and Biutiful.

I prefer when it sounds different live personally, it makes it more interesting. Anyway, their shows are really turning more and more into a stadium listening party with them using so many live and/or studio recordings, more than an actual concert by the band. 

Edited by LisaFeehily

Biutyful has grown on me a bit since October (still not a fan of the chipmunk's voice), but I think it would be definitely weird to see a live performance. I'm hopeful for the live version of Humankind though

On 1/4/2022 at 6:59 PM, LisaFeehily said:

LSG could be performed live the same way as MU, with Selena on the screen behind the band. Since they've been using full playback for their MU performances (studio version) they could decide to do the same for LSG and Biutiful.

It's a possibility, but I imagine that this would make the show slightly redundant in terms of effects; personally I think that the only song we will get with images behind the band on the screen will be MU

I'm excited to People of the Pride live, I enjoyed the YouTube footage from the Seattle show. I have high hope's for that one.

I'm curious about the songs that rely on other artists and are more digital sounding.. unsure if that'll translate well into a large stadium.

If they play Infinity Sign, hope the audience participates like the orginal recording of that crowd. It would definitely evelate that song in an incredible way.

• Like 4

I enjoyed the album even more after buying a physical CD to play in my car, where I have the bass cranked up all the way and can get the full effect of the bass pedals and synth bass. I imagine this effect will be exponentially greater in concert with the huge subwoofers.

Do people suppose that the tour shows will begin with Higher Power as the preview showcases have? I picture spacey walk-on music playing, HP starts up, house lights off, Xylobands on! 🕺

• Love 1

On 1/5/2022 at 6:21 AM, Doomotron said:

Infinity Sign has been used in the past, but as a pre-recorded interlude like the MX reprises and Colour Spectrum.

Unfortunately I don't know what Coldplay songs sound like live in person as I can't go to concerts. If I did though, I'd probably spend much of the time thinking to myself "This isn't as good as the version on the CD I bought for ten times less money", which I suppose defeats the purpose of going to a concert.

Sorry to hear you can’t go to concerts, but I have to disagree with you. You don’t just go to a concert to listen to music. With Coldplay, it’s the whole damn experience, amazing visuals and effects, bass and drums throbbing through your chest, you also can’t help but sing dance and jump with the crowd as the bangers get played. While Coldplay’s music hasn’t been everyone’s favourite recently, you know that their live shows will more than make up for it. Go, if you can.

On 1/7/2022 at 12:44 PM, Magic123 said:

Can anyone see them playing biutyful live with pitch shifted vocals 🤣

LMAO no in fact I don’t think this or LSG will be played. Happy to be proved wrong though! 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, The Jordanator said:

Sorry to hear you can’t go to concerts, but I have to disagree with you. You don’t just go to a concert to listen to music. With Coldplay, it’s the whole damn experience, amazing visuals and effects, bass and drums throbbing through your chest, you also can’t help but sing dance and jump with the crowd as the bangers get played. While Coldplay’s music hasn’t been everyone’s favourite recently, you know that their live shows will more than make up for it. Go, if you can.

LMAO no in fact I don’t think this or LSG will be played. Happy to be proved wrong though! 

Let Somebody Go is too big of a deal to be ignored, but Biutyful may well be left out.