✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

APPLE RELIGION

Darlene_Ihnfsa

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://66.218.71.225/search/cache?p=%22name%3A+Apple%22&ei=UTF-8&u=www.babynamewizard.com/blog/2004/10/why-not-apple-of-our-eyes.html&w=%22name+apple%22&d=FCE27C2ECE&icp=1&.intl=us

I found this article on a blog:

Why not the Apple of our eyes?

Actress Gwyneth Paltrow named her daughter Apple. Perhaps you heard? Perhaps, in fact, you heard about this from half a dozen sources? Perhaps you even gathered with friends to giggle over the name?

Young Apple was born in May and captured headlines around the world. The internet teemed with messageboard discussions, athrill with horror over her name. Here at baby name central, I fielded a flood of messages about it. Yet the odd truth is: Apple isn't that odd a name.

In the months leading up to Apple's arrival, other celebrities welcomed children with names like Banjo, Lucky, and Pilot Inspektor, to no fanfare whatsoever. Meanwhile, names like Genesis, Serenity and Miracle rank among America's top 500 girl's names. So why do we pick on Apple?

My guess is, because it's easy. Apple is disarmingly unpretentious, the "Jane" of weird names. A baby called Persimmon or Tamarind would be a tougher target..."maybe," you'd think, "I just don't get it." You'd start to feel a little uneasy, and decide to disregard the name as "a Hollywood thing." But Apple, we all get. Its weirdness is completely accessible and unguarded, a clear and easy target. And perhaps for that reason, I feel the urge to protect it. For what it's worth, I think the name Apple is rather sweet. And I like Jane, too.