✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

I am currently listening to....

LeftLeg

Fantastic, really enjoyed this. I enjoy the ambient vibes blended with danceable elements in the song. It feels like it is inspired by modern chill, trance, and even some dance music to a poin. And it also has a very prominent Jon Hopkins sound to it. It's especially reminds me of his older work. Great job dude, keep it up, I hope to one day start trying some of this too. Good luck

Wow thank you so much for that, glad you enjoyed it!! I was definitely going for a melodic chill vibe that slowly grew into a trance/dance track. You should start! Its never too late.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Currently listening to this (the more I listen the more I'm addicted to it)..and since the clip came out completely even more enchanted by this marvelous song (i would elevalte it to an hymn..but listen to it and just give me some feedback).

Thanks 2 all of u :heart:

Same thoughts. It's rare that you find a girl group that has this amount of talent, and it's too bad this song didn't get more popular, because even though it must have been fairly popular it should have been way bigger and is definitely a very uniquely produced sound to it. This surely is pop music at some of it's finest, and it's too bad more tracks don't sound like this nowadays because it's a great sound, definitely a lot better than some of what has been on the radio in recent years. It's definitely a gem for sure, somewhat of a hidden one too, got sort of popular and is probably their most popular song but I wish this song got bigger because tracks like these that are catchy yet manage to be unique, creative, and original at the same time are what can really cause a change in the pop music scene. Please, someone make something new just like this again and have it become really popular this time and like revolutionize pop music once again....

You're right and I agree with you at all points. Too bad that nowadays many girl groups are "manufactured" and pretty much "artificial" unlike the All Saints which was or still has been some kind of a musical project of four friends who decided to be as a group together because they had wanted to sing. (Although I believe the Appleton sisters surely wished they would be "famous for being famous".) The late 90s' and early 00s' pop music was totally great and fresh from what I've heard so far. The music of this period needs to be desperately repeated to save us from another punch of the majority of "not classy but trashy" pop music released these days.

I thought Pure Shores was popular at the time it was released since it had been included in The Beach soundtrack. :eek: Some people told me they heard it being played a lot and the song was totally all over the place which suprises me when you say you wish it had been more popular than it was in fact...

• Like 1

So Troye Sivan has released his comeback single called 'My My My!' along with its music video... I'd never imagined myself going crazy because of the song or completely being taken by surprise and losing my breath or wanting to cry but that's exactly what happened to me. :sob: I'm affected and totally out of my mind.

[spoiler=MY MY MY!: THE MUSIC VIDEO ON YOUTUBE]

• Like 1

If none of you have heard of Grimes yet, I highly recommend you check the music out. This is for anyone who enjoys melodic electropop that sounds very different, this is an extremely unique song as far as I'm concerned and I don't think I've ever heard anything like it before. Wish this girl'd blow up in the charts already so we can save the mainstream music scene from the terrible that it is right now.

You're right and I agree with you at all points. Too bad that nowadays many girl groups are "manufactured" and pretty much "artificial" unlike the All Saints which was or still has been some kind of a musical project of four friends who decided to be as a group together because they had wanted to sing. (Although I believe the Appleton sisters surely wished they would be "famous for being famous".) The late 90s' and early 00s' pop music was totally great and fresh from what I've heard so far. The music of this period needs to be desperately repeated to save us from another punch of the majority of "not classy but trashy" pop music released these days.

I thought Pure Shores was popular at the time it was released since it had been included in The Beach soundtrack. :eek: Some people told me they heard it being played a lot and the song was totally all over the place which suprises me when you say you wish it had been more popular than it was in fact...

[spoiler=Unnecessary text wall, thank me for saving all of you minutes of scrolling!]Completely agree with everything you said in the first part of the post.

I in fact believe that a lot of pop music, or at least a sizable portion of what was on the charts, was good all the way up till around 2012, the early 2010's I enjoy a lot because in general it's high energy music, quite dense sounding (and by that I mean there's sounds that strech out and are sustained in stark contrast to today's pop music production style, taking too many sounds out and leaving overall an empty space in the record that so desperately shouldn't exist. It can work at certain times, but in general I find music that has long sustaining synths and what not to go for that "dense" vibe a lot better still. Also you'll hear a lot of sounds are too start-stop-start again, which again leaves too much space in the record for me IMO.) As you said, late '90s and early '00s pop music are fantastic. I'd say any era until around 2012 to 2013. And I'm not really including 2013 in this discussion because even though a lot of music from that year is great as well a fair amount of it actually falls under the indie pop/rock category which is even better to be honest. The straight pop songs from that year though are where it starts to go downhill, 2014 was filled with what seems like mainly pop songs with sustained-synth sounds like I usually like but with a much more "normal" vibe, with not a whole ton of energy, but as the production's not too chopped up it's still something I enjoy a lot, if not as much as more high-energy pop music or even EDM. 2015 is where this chopped-up too-much-space-in-the-record production style starts to appear, and around mid 2015 when Worth It by another girl group who isn't worth mentioning, when that was released it was the beginning of the end unfortunately. Hotline Bling? Get ready for the throwaway bland, generic, talentless uninspired trap-pop hits about to come out! Some recent examples include "Bank Account" by 21 Savage and "Rockstar" by Post Malone ft. 21 Savage, neither song deserves any recognition at all. If I could have access to simply the backing track alone and make some sort of cool ambient remix of both of those songs that'd be far better than those songs that they are right now, there's no need for those annoying trap drums and autotuned voices layered on top of it, especially 21 Savage's terrible rap voice, like seriously, I think he might be my least favorite artist of all time now simply because you can tell in his voice, he puts zero effort into his vocal performances, and whenever he tries to do any replication of melody it ends up needing autotune because even in the low register he sings in he still somehow can't speak (not sing, speak, because that's all he's doing) well enough to hold a note for any longer than a millisecond. Honestly, if this guy can make money with that voice anything's possible for me, unless the mainstream music scene as it is right now changes drastically. Where has music gone in the past few years? It went from quite way up there with consistently enjoyable music topping the charts to this guy who can't speak without autotune let alone sing? And you'll notice in his "Bank Account" the parts where he's not autotuned and it honestly makes my ears bleed. Ugh. He's worse than Drake and Future combined!

Anyway, enough of my needless ranting on current-day trap, pop, and mumble rap music, and especially bashing 1 artist in particular. Talking about what you said in the second part of your post, I might have been mistaken. It might have actually had been a big song at the time , and Pure Shores might have got some recognition for it for sure, seeing as it was apparently part of a soundtrack (well themed too I'd assume if the movie's called "The Beach", great song selection here). But there's a possibility that the song was released before I was even born.... lemme look it up... and it in fact was. Yes. I'm extremely young lol. Not really. So I really have no actual idea on the popularity of the song at that time, but I'd imagine it wasn't remembered for a very long time since the YouTube video for it only has a few million views, so I just assumed it didn't get that big, and I don't ever remember clearly hearing it on the radio before my mom noticed it playing on Stingray the other day and went on and on about how good the song was, so I decided to check it out for myself since both of us have a fairly common music taste (at least for the most part) and I decided it was a fairly good song, I remember also hearing it on that radio too and also enjoying it. But I never guessed it was this big. I guess I should just shut my mouth when it comes to music before anything early 2000's and it's popularity, because I'd imagine there was a lot of "big" songs at that time that never got played anywhere for years afterwards again, or rarely if so, so it didn't sound that big. Because you obviously have your classics and immediately recognizable songs from previous decades and all that, and it's too bad that this probably wasn't one of them, even though a lot of people aged a bit older than me'd probably recognize it if only mildly only a short time after hearing it. Maybe a lot of people seem to be remembering it now, like my mom and you now that they've heard it once again lol. Hopefully interest in previous great songs like this will inspire people like me who are aspiring to create and produce some of their music of their own, or even produce music and are big name artists already, and let them be influenced by these songs or even to create some more original sounds so we can finally replace, beat, and defeat this all too familiar terrible pop music sound that's popular in the mainstream music scene today. Because something really needs to change, fast. What's next? (The good thing is, I've already been hearing some songs in late 2017 that got popular that have challenged some trends such as trap-pop island tracks for the tropics, highly pitched vocal chops, autotuned mumble rap vocals, etc... most notably Taylor Swift's recent album, some of the songs off of that such as "Look What You Made Me Do", "Ready For It", not necessarily melodic, and might be a minor trap influence but it's not autotuned, there's a lot of harsh and unique electronic sounds in these songs though, and there's not a whole lot of melody to it, but that's fine, the production is very unique in my opinion and reminds me of some industrial influences too, which as far as I'm concerned is a very, very diverse influence to incorporate into your music, especially trying to make it popular (and surprisingly succeeding massively) and possibly leading to a revival of the genre, as you know lots of people try to copy other's success and some do succeed, resulting in an overall popularity of whatever genre that is, making it "trendy" and "cool" and whatever, hopefully that happens at least to some sort of extent with Taylor Swift's new industrial-pop style, not too much however because as engaging as it is there should be room for melodic songs as well, like what Taylor Swift did before this drastic change in her style, and an unprecedented one at that. Also, Feel it Still with it's slightly melodic vibes and "psychedelic pop" influences is a very exciting change to hear for once, it really provides a stark and strong contrast to nearly everything else that's popular right now).

End of unnecessarily long, overly ranting, overly explained post lol

• Like 2

Completely agree with everything you said in the first part of the post.

I in fact believe that a lot of pop music, or at least a sizable portion of what was on the charts, was good all the way up till around 2012, the early 2010's I enjoy a lot because in general it's high energy music, quite dense sounding (and by that I mean there's sounds that strech out and are sustained in stark contrast to today's pop music production style, taking too many sounds out and leaving overall an empty space in the record that so desperately shouldn't exist. It can work at certain times, but in general I find music that has long sustaining synths and what not to go for that "dense" vibe a lot better still. Also you'll hear a lot of sounds are too start-stop-start again, which again leaves too much space in the record for me IMO.) As you said, late '90s and early '00s pop music are fantastic. I'd say any era until around 2012 to 2013. And I'm not really including 2013 in this discussion because even though a lot of music from that year is great as well a fair amount of it actually falls under the indie pop/rock category which is even better to be honest. The straight pop songs from that year though are where it starts to go downhill, 2014 was filled with what seems like mainly pop songs with sustained-synth sounds like I usually like but with a much more "normal" vibe, with not a whole ton of energy, but as the production's not too chopped up it's still something I enjoy a lot, if not as much as more high-energy pop music or even EDM. 2015 is where this chopped-up too-much-space-in-the-record production style starts to appear, and around mid 2015 when Worth It by another girl group who isn't worth mentioning, when that was released it was the beginning of the end unfortunately. Hotline Bling? Get ready for the throwaway bland, generic, talentless uninspired trap-pop hits about to come out! Some recent examples include "Bank Account" by 21 Savage and "Rockstar" by Post Malone ft. 21 Savage, neither song deserves any recognition at all. If I could have access to simply the backing track alone and make some sort of cool ambient remix of both of those songs that'd be far better than those songs that they are right now, there's no need for those annoying trap drums and autotuned voices layered on top of it, especially 21 Savage's terrible rap voice, like seriously, I think he might be my least favorite artist of all time now simply because you can tell in his voice, he puts zero effort into his vocal performances, and whenever he tries to do any replication of melody it ends up needing autotune because even in the low register he sings in he still somehow can't speak (not sing, speak, because that's all he's doing) well enough to hold a note for any longer than a millisecond. Honestly, if this guy can make money with that voice anything's possible for me, unless the mainstream music scene as it is right now changes drastically. Where has music gone in the past few years? It went from quite way up there with consistently enjoyable music topping the charts to this guy who can't speak without autotune let alone sing? And you'll notice in his "Bank Account" the parts where he's not autotuned and it honestly makes my ears bleed. Ugh. He's worse than Drake and Future combined!

Anyway, enough of my needless ranting on current-day trap, pop, and mumble rap music, and especially bashing 1 artist in particular. Talking about what you said in the second part of your post, I might have been mistaken. It might have actually had been a big song at the time , and Pure Shores might have got some recognition for it for sure, seeing as it was apparently part of a soundtrack (well themed too I'd assume if the movie's called "The Beach", great song selection here). But there's a possibility that the song was released before I was even born.... lemme look it up... and it in fact was. Yes. I'm extremely young lol. Not really. So I really have no actual idea on the popularity of the song at that time, but I'd imagine it wasn't remembered for a very long time since the YouTube video for it only has a few million views, so I just assumed it didn't get that big, and I don't ever remember clearly hearing it on the radio before my mom noticed it playing on Stingray the other day and went on and on about how good the song was, so I decided to check it out for myself since both of us have a fairly common music taste (at least for the most part) and I decided it was a fairly good song, I remember also hearing it on that radio too and also enjoying it. But I never guessed it was this big. I guess I should just shut my mouth when it comes to music before anything early 2000's and it's popularity, because I'd imagine there was a lot of "big" songs at that time that never got played anywhere for years afterwards again, or rarely if so, so it didn't sound that big. Because you obviously have your classics and immediately recognizable songs from previous decades and all that, and it's too bad that this probably wasn't one of them, even though a lot of people aged a bit older than me'd probably recognize it if only mildly only a short time after hearing it. Maybe a lot of people seem to be remembering it now, like my mom and you now that they've heard it once again lol. Hopefully interest in previous great songs like this will inspire people like me who are aspiring to create and produce some of their music of their own, or even produce music and are big name artists already, and let them be influenced by these songs or even to create some more original sounds so we can finally replace, beat, and defeat this all too familiar terrible pop music sound that's popular in the mainstream music scene today. Because something really needs to change, fast. What's next? (The good thing is, I've already been hearing some songs in late 2017 that got popular that have challenged some trends such as trap-pop island tracks for the tropics, highly pitched vocal chops, autotuned mumble rap vocals, etc... most notably Taylor Swift's recent album, some of the songs off of that such as "Look What You Made Me Do", "Ready For It", not necessarily melodic, and might be a minor trap influence but it's not autotuned, there's a lot of harsh and unique electronic sounds in these songs though, and there's not a whole lot of melody to it, but that's fine, the production is very unique in my opinion and reminds me of some industrial influences too, which as far as I'm concerned is a very, very diverse influence to incorporate into your music, especially trying to make it popular (and surprisingly succeeding massively) and possibly leading to a revival of the genre, as you know lots of people try to copy other's success and some do succeed, resulting in an overall popularity of whatever genre that is, making it "trendy" and "cool" and whatever, hopefully that happens at least to some sort of extent with Taylor Swift's new industrial-pop style, not too much however because as engaging as it is there should be room for melodic songs as well, like what Taylor Swift did before this drastic change in her style, and an unprecedented one at that. Also, Feel it Still with it's slightly melodic vibes and "psychedelic pop" influences is a very exciting change to hear for once, it really provides a stark and strong contrast to nearly everything else that's popular right now).

End of unnecessarily long, overly ranting, overly explained post lol

[spoiler=My honest opinion on your arguments!]Um... I'm lost for words. You have written so much and explained your every single thought and directed them into a really deep territory that I have no idea what to answer at all. :D

In the first half of your response you have discussed the mainstream music and pop music in general today. I certainly have a few favourite periods in music history but it really depends on what songs musicians and bands release at their time or what they actually make and try to demonstrate and sell. Recording artists can make and find the sound of their own to establish themselves as "genuine musicians doing their own business retaining the drive without giving a damn what's going on around and how their rivals try to beat them up" or "wretched copycats stealing the ideas from the others and practising cultural appropriation without confessing but slamming the accusers of saying constantly blatant lies" or "artists studying art history thoroughly and being inspired by their role models and idols whilst writing their own formulas for commercial and critical success and staying true to themselves, doing their best to appeal to the target audience and leaving the legacy worth acclaim behind".

That's my point how all the recording artists might decide where to shift and move on in their career with the input and the output. Therefore there are artists we admire and praise for their artworks and being original and unique, then artists who we give mixed reviews because of the fact they try way too hard to change their style to go with the flow and appeal to the masses or they always stay in their comfort zone without an effort to get out of there and take a risk or lastly artists we trash and criticize so harshly it might seem like we try to do everything to destroy them in every way possible so they'll lose their career and never show up again with their records.

Some of recording artists might be revolutionary and give birth to the whole new generation of wannabes and pave the road for them or the ones who are able to launch the career thanks to the predecessors before who have fought for artistic expression and freedom of speech. Some of musicians and bands might be as I've previously mentioned work on their sound and find the one of their own while being influenced by the others or completely do the same as their role models and idols because they totally want to be like them bad.

That's not the problem of music itself as a form of art. The roots of everyday endless bashing the so-called mainstream music are the recording artists themselves who take pains to put themselves on the map. However, we cannot blame those musicians and bands for being not creative and groundbreaking enough since everything has its time. They are just human beings after all as everybody else including us. They do their best to get the best of themselves out to satisfy us with their music and actions with the help of their managers, record label workers, producers, composers, lyricists, songwriters, arrangers etc. I believe we should at least acknowledge their efforts to impress and stir us. It's a matter of time when they are successful and powerful enough to reshape or move the music industry to the other heights or even lead it and bring unforeseen changes.

The other thing is that how much recording artists are determined to do their job. They can either let the record label or entertainment company control them so they have zero input and virtually destroy themselves inside out or fight for themselves and proof that they are capable of making their own music and they don't need anyone to dictate them what to do. It's all about how committed artists are to the job actually.

The end of music theory... :joy: Now it's time for something else!

I've read somewhere that the All Saints member Shaznay Lewis was in fact approached to write a theme song for the Beach film that's why no wonder Pure Shores fits it well. I've learnt that the song was totally popular at the time it was released but underperformed in terms of the charts even though it has sold roughly over one million copies. I suppose we all are allowed to blame their then record label for lack of promotion overseas because All Saints are purely the UK thing and were absolutely massive in their native country at that time. Back then there was no YouTube so people watch music channels such as MTV, VH1 or MuchMusic on TV to catch the newest releases and music reports I assume. That was also the time when the physical sales of music records still mattered a lot and absolutely much more than these days. Perhaps all the buyers of Pure Shores still have own a copy on CD somewhere at home and play it out loud instead of turning it on on YouTube. Who knows? :grinning:

• Like 1

Um... I'm lost for words. You have written so much and explained your every single thought and directed them into a really deep territory that I have no idea what to answer at all. :D

In the first half of your response you have discussed the mainstream music and pop music in general today. I certainly have a few favourite periods in music history but it really depends on what songs musicians and bands release at their time or what they actually make and try to demonstrate and sell. Recording artists can make and find the sound of their own to establish themselves as "genuine musicians doing their own business retaining the drive without giving a damn what's going on around and how their rivals try to beat them up" or "wretched copycats stealing the ideas from the others and practising cultural appropriation without confessing but slamming the accusers of saying constantly blatant lies" or "artists studying art history thoroughly and being inspired by their role models and idols whilst writing their own formulas for commercial and critical success and staying true to themselves, doing their best to appeal to the target audience and leaving the legacy worth acclaim behind".

That's my point how all the recording artists might decide where to shift and move on in their career with the input and the output. Therefore there are artists we admire and praise for their artworks and being original and unique, then artists who we give mixed reviews because of the fact they try way too hard to change their style to go with the flow and appeal to the masses or they always stay in their comfort zone without an effort to get out of there and take a risk or lastly artists we trash and criticize so harshly it might seem like we try to do everything to destroy them in every way possible so they'll lose their career and never show up again with their records.

Some of recording artists might be revolutionary and give birth to the whole new generation of wannabes and pave the road for them or the ones who are able to launch the career thanks to the predecessors before who have fought for artistic expression and freedom of speech. Some of musicians and bands might be as I've previously mentioned work on their sound and find the one of their own while being influenced by the others or completely do the same as their role models and idols because they totally want to be like them bad.

That's not the problem of music itself as a form of art. The roots of everyday endless bashing the so-called mainstream music are the recording artists themselves who take pains to put themselves on the map. However, we cannot blame those musicians and bands for being not creative and groundbreaking enough since everything has its time. They are just human beings after all as everybody else including us. They do their best to get the best of themselves out to satisfy us with their music and actions with the help of their managers, record label workers, producers, composers, lyricists, songwriters, arrangers etc. I believe we should at least acknowledge their efforts to impress and stir us. It's a matter of time when they are successful and powerful enough to reshape or move the music industry to the other heights or even lead it and bring unforeseen changes.

The other thing is that how much recording artists are determined to do their job. They can either let the record label or entertainment company control them so they have zero input and virtually destroy themselves inside out or fight for themselves and proof that they are capable of making their own music and they don't need anyone to dictate them what to do. It's all about how committed artists are to the job actually.

The end of music theory... :joy: Now it's time for something else!

I've read somewhere that the All Saints member Shaznay Lewis was in fact approached to write a theme song for the Beach film that's why no wonder Pure Shores fits it well. I've learnt that the song was totally popular at the time it was released but underperformed in terms of the charts even though it has sold roughly over one million copies. I suppose we all are allowed to blame their then record label for lack of promotion overseas because All Saints are purely the UK thing and were absolutely massive in their native country at that time. Back then there was no YouTube so people watch music channels such as MTV, VH1 or MuchMusic on TV to catch the newest releases and music reports I assume. That was also the time when the physical sales of music records still mattered a lot and absolutely much more than these days. Perhaps all the buyers of Pure Shores still have own a copy on CD somewhere at home and play it out loud instead of turning it on on YouTube. Who knows? :grinning:

[spoiler=I won't say anything back so we don't have to keep replying to each other with huge posts over and over lol]Well thought out, though

• Like 1

Well thought out, though

[spoiler=HAPPINESS LIES IN YOUR OWN HANDS]Alright. You've made a decision but I actually enjoy reading your extensive posts because every of them gets so deep and involves such interesting thoughts it's nearly beyond belief that all the words come out of you. :D

[spoiler=CALL IT WHAT YOU WANT]

Trap-pop done right.

I am totally keen on this track! I've been loving it since the very first time I heard it. :heart:

• Like 1

Alright. You've made a decision but I actually enjoy reading your extensive posts because every of them gets so deep and involves such interesting thoughts it's nearly beyond belief that all the words come out of you. :D

[spoiler=CALL IT WHAT YOU WANT]

I am totally keen on this track! I've been loving it since the very first time I heard it. :heart:

[spoiler="Happiness Lies In Your Own Hands&quot]Yes, but they do take so much effort... I do like lots of in depth conversations especially about music but my hands end up hurting after some time. :D

[spoiler=Call It What You Want: More In Depth Thoughts!]Same. It's just so unique, and at the same time stripped down... That vocal chop melody that begins the track is very nice, the strings build up to the first part where there's not a whole lot going on, and the chorus features a rare instance of where trap drums actually don't sound all that bad and enhance the feeling of it. This keeps going (with a stripped down bridge where the percussion drops for the most part, and a pre chorus kind of section with the same sort of trap drum pattern but pushed back a bit) with the background synths gradually rising each time until the very end where they truly get to shine, and makes the track a melodic emotional masterpiece. Only thing I wish from this track was that at the end after the trap drums cease, the synths and the melodic elements of the song get to shine on their own once more with no percussion, and then the track end as normal with everything stopping, and the singer saying "to" at the end. But overall a surprisingly great track, Taylor Swift's new album, although not necessarily the most melodic or emotional, is in my opinion very creative, unique, and experimental even, she time and time again merges electropop with trap (done right, again) and industrial influences. It's the production on this album, daring to challenge the norm of pop music today, that makes this album great for me. This song IMO is a perfect lead up into the closer, and is very well placed in the album tracklist into New Year's Day, my personal favorite. As much as I like the originality of the other tracks, at the end of the day in my opinion, melodic, emotional tracks always win for me, and the more those two elements shine the more I'll like a track (but the less I'll listen to it in general, since I generally don't want to always feel either so high or so low all the time, and I don't want the song to get old, despite my liking it so much).

So yeah. I managed once again to stay on topic this time and not do a bunch of needless explaining. Yay. Posts in length like these at least don't make my hands hurt as much....

• Like 1

Yes, but they do take so much effort... I do like lots of in depth conversations especially about music but my hands end up hurting after some time. :D

[spoiler=Call It What You Want: More In Depth Thoughts!]Same. It's just so unique, and at the same time stripped down... That vocal chop melody that begins the track is very nice, the strings build up to the first part where there's not a whole lot going on, and the chorus features a rare instance of where trap drums actually don't sound all that bad and enhance the feeling of it. This keeps going (with a stripped down bridge where the percussion drops for the most part, and a pre chorus kind of section with the same sort of trap drum pattern but pushed back a bit) with the background synths gradually rising each time until the very end where they truly get to shine, and makes the track a melodic emotional masterpiece. Only thing I wish from this track was that at the end after the trap drums cease, the synths and the melodic elements of the song get to shine on their own once more with no percussion, and then the track end as normal with everything stopping, and the singer saying "to" at the end. But overall a surprisingly great track, Taylor Swift's new album, although not necessarily the most melodic or emotional, is in my opinion very creative, unique, and experimental even, she time and time again merges electropop with trap (done right, again) and industrial influences. It's the production on this album, daring to challenge the norm of pop music today, that makes this album great for me. This song IMO is a perfect lead up into the closer, and is very well placed in the album tracklist into New Year's Day, my personal favorite. As much as I like the originality of the other tracks, at the end of the day in my opinion, melodic, emotional tracks always win for me, and the more those two elements shine the more I'll like a track (but the less I'll listen to it in general, since I generally don't want to always feel either so high or so low all the time, and I don't want the song to get old, despite my liking it so much).

So yeah. I managed once again to stay on topic this time and not do a bunch of needless explaining. Yay. Posts in length like these at least don't make my hands hurt as much....

[spoiler=HAPPINESS LIES IN YOUR OWN HANDS?]I don't know whether deepening conversations hurts one's brain or one's hands more... :D

[spoiler=CALL IT WHAT YOU WANT: MY SHORT ANSWER?]I haven't heard the whole Reputation album but perhaps I might really give it a chance and listen to it. :innocent: Anyway, thank you for your explication. I've learnt something new at least when I have nothing to say whatsoever. :D I'm too lazy and tired for making out something to answer... This time there's no comment of mine. :joy:

If none of you have heard of Grimes yet, I highly recommend you check the music out. This is for anyone who enjoys melodic electropop that sounds very different, this is an extremely unique song as far as I'm concerned and I don't think I've ever heard anything like it before. Wish this girl'd blow up in the charts already so we can save the mainstream music scene from the terrible that it is right now.

I LOVE GRIMES! Very diverse and well produced art pop. She’s extremely talented and writes, records, and produces all of her music in addition to doing all of her artwork and directing all her videos. Not many take up the responsibility of doing so much of her own art, but more should.

So I recently made a mashup of Birds and The Louvre by Lorde. Would be great if you guys could check it out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FGjx3n-7a8I

Mobile Link: https://youtu.be/FGjx3n-7a8I

Even though I'm a big fan of both Lorde and the Coldplay, I didn't enjoy listening to your mashup much. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your effort to create new tracks of this kind but this was so-so. In my opinion the vocals don't fit in the instrumental of Birds. It's a bit out of the place. Perhaps only the "Broadcast the boom boom boom boom and make 'em all dance it" part sits well with me, otherwise I'm not very fond of it. I certainly believe you are capable to make much better works. :)

Even though I'm a big fan of both Lorde and the Coldplay, I didn't enjoy listening to your mashup much. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate your effort to create new tracks of this kind but this was so-so. In my opinion the vocals don't fit in the instrumental of Birds. It's a bit out of the place. Perhaps only the "Broadcast the boom boom boom boom and make 'em all dance it" part sits well with me, otherwise I'm not very fond of it. I certainly believe you are capable to make much better works. :)

U sure? Mathematically its supposed to work. Both songs are in the key of c major and there isnt any accidentals. Perhaps its the timing of the vocals? If so, that is an easy fix.

• Like 1

U sure? Mathematically its supposed to work. Both songs are in the key of c major and there isnt any accidentals. Perhaps its the timing of the vocals? If so, that is an easy fix.

Yes, I'm absolutely sure. I think the Lorde's vocals can be a little bit sped up to make them fit in the instrumental better because to me they appear to be quite slower when compared with the rate of Birds instrumental but that's only my point of view. However, I respect your artistic decisions and moves. :D

I don't know whether deepening conversations hurts one's brain or one's hands more... :D

[spoiler=CALL IT WHAT YOU WANT: MY SHORT ANSWER?]I haven't heard the whole Reputation album but perhaps I might really give it a chance and listen to it. :innocent: Anyway, thank you for your explication. I've learnt something new at least when I have nothing to say whatsoever. :D I'm too lazy and tired for making out something to answer... This time there's no comment of mine. :joy:

[spoiler=HAPPINESS LIES IN YOUR OWN HANDS.]Either way, probably both. So much effort if you take it too far. A bit too much effort, when it's only a discussion really. Interesting to think about these things but it hurts both the brain and my hands.... We're like the opposite of most people on the Internet, looking for depth in conversations rather than keeping it short, concise, and to the point...

[spoiler=CALL IT WHAT YOU WANT AND REPUTATION.]If you enjoy hard hitting, strictly electronic vibes for the most part, you'll like it. Expect melody here and there, but not a lot. Focus on the originality of the production, and it might be a bit more appealing to think that it's an album that took a bit of effort at least, to come up with a new sound by merging some influences that already existed and trying to come up with something new. Whether you like it or not, IMO it's an effort by Taylor Swift anyway to bring some originality to the table in terms of the music industry and the charts. Not many better than her to do it, since she's already famous and has had numerous Top 40 singles.

It's definitely a very unique album, but you might not think it to be that great.... To be honest a lot of the songs didn't impress me all that much besides the already released radio singles. It definitely all has a very cohesive, creative sound though. Nice to see her experimenting with different styles as she's done in this album with the harsher electronic overtones present. It's not for everyone though. Just like with all original/experimental music (here, experimental/industrial/trap electropop for the most part) it's simply something new she's trying and I'm sure she knows it won't be well recieved by everyone, as any might be. Although a lot of people might end up liking the sound, lots might not. It's hard to tell, that's simply the way experimental music works...

And, I don't blame you. Don't be pressured to come up with an extensive response just because I did. I did it to you, so it's fine you did it to me. I don't mind. I went into more detail here (again) just because I felt like it, I'm trying to keep my responses a bit more limited so I don't end up going on a huge off topic rant about music mainly but oh well. I think it's been working in my recent posts. Hopefully I don't get too off topic as I'm starting to do as I type right now... maybe I should just stop here. Lol

I LOVE GRIMES! Very diverse and well produced art pop. She’s extremely talented and writes, records, and produces all of her music in addition to doing all of her artwork and directing all her videos. Not many take up the responsibility of doing so much of her own art, but more should.

Niceeee, not expecting someone'd actually know her on the forums but I guess I should have expected you (and if I had to choose anyone who I think'd know about Grimes it'd probably be you, seeing as you like this type of music in general, unique and creative). Totally agree. Just found her, will have to listen to more of her music! (Side note: Why do I always keep referring to "Grimes" as "them" or "their"? I know you never seen it but I keep doing it, and then going back and realizing she's a solo artist, and as you've mentioned, one of the most solo out there as she does nearly everything. So I have to keep editing it lol so I don't look like I don't know what I'm talking about)

And your edit of Birds is very well done, I enjoyed it. Liked the idea of the mashup. Great version of Birds! Liked it. (Lorde is, by the way, also fairly good IMO, at least from what I've heard, I've listened to a few of her songs and she sounds decent, will have to listen to more though. I do remember her being featured on one of Disclosure's tracks, Magnets, only knowing that since Jon Hopkins did a fire remix of it. Really enjoyed that)

• Like 2

Either way, probably both. So much effort if you take it too far. A bit too much effort, when it's only a discussion really. Interesting to think about these things but it hurts both the brain and my hands.... We're like the opposite of most people on the Internet, looking for depth in conversations rather than keeping it short, concise, and to the point...

[spoiler=CALL IT WHAT YOU WANT AND REPUTATION.]If you enjoy hard hitting, strictly electronic vibes for the most part, you'll like it. Expect melody here and there, but not a lot. Focus on the originality of the production, and it might be a bit more appealing to think that it's an album that took a bit of effort at least, to come up with a new sound by merging some influences that already existed and trying to come up with something new. Whether you like it or not, IMO it's an effort by Taylor Swift anyway to bring some originality to the table in terms of the music industry and the charts. Not many better than her to do it, since she's already famous and has had numerous Top 40 singles.

It's definitely a very unique album, but you might not think it to be that great.... To be honest a lot of the songs didn't impress me all that much besides the already released radio singles. It definitely all has a very cohesive, creative sound though. Nice to see her experimenting with different styles as she's done in this album with the harsher electronic overtones present. It's not for everyone though. Just like with all original/experimental music (here, experimental/industrial/trap electropop for the most part) it's simply something new she's trying and I'm sure she knows it won't be well recieved by everyone, as any might be. Although a lot of people might end up liking the sound, lots might not. It's hard to tell, that's simply the way experimental music works...

And, I don't blame you. Don't be pressured to come up with an extensive response just because I did. I did it to you, so it's fine you did it to me. I don't mind. I went into more detail here (again) just because I felt like it, I'm trying to keep my responses a bit more limited so I don't end up going on a huge off topic rant about music mainly but oh well. I think it's been working in my recent posts. Hopefully I don't get too off topic as I'm starting to do as I type right now... maybe I should just stop here. Lol

Niceeee, not expecting someone'd actually know her on the forums but I guess I should have expected you (and if I had to choose anyone who I think'd know about Grimes it'd probably be you, seeing as you like this type of music in general, unique and creative). Totally agree. Just found her, will have to listen to more of her music! (Side note: Why do I always keep referring to "Grimes" as "them" or "their"? I know you never seen it but I keep doing it, and then going back and realizing she's a solo artist, and as you've mentioned, one of the most solo out there as she does nearly everything. So I have to keep editing it lol so I don't look like I don't know what I'm talking about)

And your edit of Birds is very well done, I enjoyed it. Liked the idea of the mashup. Great version of Birds! Liked it. (Lorde is, by the way, also fairly good IMO, at least from what I've heard, I've listened to a few of her songs and she sounds decent, will have to listen to more though. I do remember her being featured on one of Disclosure's tracks, Magnets, only knowing that since Jon Hopkins did a fire remix of it. Really enjoyed that)

Ah thanks! and yeah, I don’t think many coldplay fans like Grimes as well since she’s both underrated and very different from the band. Also, there’s a music genre called “grime”, so maybe you think its a “them” because it sounds plural haha.

Lorde is the best pop artist in the game right now IMO. Definitely check out more of her.

• Like 2

Either way, probably both. So much effort if you take it too far. A bit too much effort, when it's only a discussion really. Interesting to think about these things but it hurts both the brain and my hands.... We're like the opposite of most people on the Internet, looking for depth in conversations rather than keeping it short, concise, and to the point...

[spoiler=does happiness really lie in your own hands?]

Firstly, I'm so sorry for replying late but I somehow happened to forget that you had already responded to my post. Secondly, they say "less is more". This might be surely true but running deep in a discussion is not wrong in my honest opinion if we're not off-topic. It can really help us when we're trying to get all the thoughts out of us at once keeping the continuity while commenting on a decided topic. It's not completely a bad way how to express ourselves and our points of view but every now and then it's tricky to decide what is actually appropriate to say over the airwaves. However, I'm not so positive whether the other visitors of these forums are interested in our discussion about something they might not take interest in. One ought to act as one wishes as happiness lies in your own hands.

[spoiler=CALL IT WHAT YOU WANT AND REPUTATION AGAIN.]Your more detailed description is making me want to check and listen to the Reputation album as soon as possible. I haven't still managed to make it happen that's why I believe I should come up with a plan to make time to give it a listen at long last because I've already kept putting it off for some time... I'd better reform myself! By the way, thank you for the delineation of Reputation.

Last Friday evening I was listening to a few new music releases and suddenly ran into a track by chance that's a bit older but the moment I heard it I knew I was about to like that recording artist! Thus, I looked for the other songs of by that singer and got hooked on the single with the music video that is quite entertaining to watch. :D

There’s this dude I know in real life and he just released a single that I’ve been enjoying the hell out of in the past few days. Check it out!

I've checked it out and I really like it because it sounds so raw which I believe it is in fact, isn't it? :D

[spoiler=CALL IT WHAT YOU WANT: BEEN THERE, DONE THAT]@cp3176, I've just finished listening to the Reputation album... I LOVE THAT RECORD! Lord! Every single track from it is well-done and sounds really great and fantastic even though my problem is that it is very difficult to hum those melodies at least because of all the sound effects and filters, chopped parts, weird transitions etc. Otherwise, I didn't expect the songs to sound so modern and innovative but it seems that Taylor Swift is trying her best to bring new ideas to the table and change the music industry up. It is truly amazing to see her evolve artistically while staying true to herself and following her insticts. Definitely Reputation is one of the best LPs I've ever heard! Thank you for your recommendation. :)

Something kind of funny... Friday has got to be my favourite day of the week because most musicians and bands release their new stuff on the last weekday. It's a bang-up way how to start enjoying the weekend. :joy:

So, my newest revelation regarding a recording artist is Ciaran Lavery, an Irish singer-songwriter! Yesterday he debuted the first single "To Chicago" taken from his upcoming album Sweet Decay which is about to be dropped in April. I'm absolutely in love with this song since it's simple and really different from the music I've been listening to lately. Give it a chance!

[MEDIA=soundcloud]

[/MEDIA]
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
I've checked it out and I really like it because it sounds so raw which I believe it is in fact, isn't it? :D

[spoiler=CALL IT WHAT YOU WANT: BEEN THERE, DONE THAT]@cp3176, I've just finished listening to the Reputation album... I LOVE THAT RECORD! Lord! Every single track from it is well-done and sounds really great and fantastic even though my problem is that it is very difficult to hum those melodies at least because of all the sound effects and filters, chopped parts, weird transitions etc. Otherwise, I didn't expect the songs to sound so modern and innovative but it seems that Taylor Swift is trying her best to bring new ideas to the table and change the music industry up. It is truly amazing to see her evolve artistically while staying true to herself and following her insticts. Definitely Reputation is one of the best LPs I've ever heard! Thank you for your recommendation. :)

Something kind of funny... Friday has got to be my favourite day of the week because most musicians and bands release their new stuff on the last weekday. It's a bang-up way how to start enjoying the weekend. :joy:

So, my newest revelation regarding a recording artist is Ciaran Lavery, an Irish singer-songwriter! Yesterday he debuted the first single "To Chicago" taken from his upcoming album Sweet Decay which is about to be dropped in April. I'm absolutely in love with this song since it's simple and really different from the music I've been listening to lately. Give it a chance!

[MEDIA=soundcloud]

[/MEDIA]

[spoiler=Reputation.]I know right! It's a fantastic album, I personally like a lot of Taylor Swift for a lot of the melodic aspects of her music but she's completely changed things up this time, and for the better. I can already start to see some influences this album is having on the mainstream........

Heard this on Alt Nation the other day, thought it was a recently released song but I looked it up and it's actually from over a decade ago! Wow. A sound that's so ahead of it's time. It's not unimaginable that Coldplay might be heading this direction next with their music, that'd be great!

• Like 4

I know right! It's a fantastic album, I personally like a lot of Taylor Swift for a lot of the melodic aspects of her music but she's completely changed things up this time, and for the better. I can already start to see some influences this album is having on the mainstream........

Heard this on Alt Nation the other day, thought it was a recently released song but I looked it up and it's actually from over a decade ago! Wow. A sound that's so ahead of it's time. It's not unimaginable that Coldplay might be heading this direction next with their music, that'd be great!

Wow I love MGMT and I'm going to see them in like two weeks

I know right! It's a fantastic album, I personally like a lot of Taylor Swift for a lot of the melodic aspects of her music but she's completely changed things up this time, and for the better. I can already start to see some influences this album is having on the mainstream........

Love these guys. They just released an album a few weeks that is my AOTY so far! Check out more of them, they’ve got great psychedelic synthpop vibes.

• Like 1