✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

I am currently listening to....

LeftLeg

Y'all should check out the ETIAW multitracks, and in particular the one named "song". It's an awesome surprise and you'll really appreciate it. So for those of you who want it kept a surprise, don't click "Spoiler".

[spoiler=Details]It sounds like an entirely different version of the song, under the song itself! For any of you who want a much less poppy version of the song, here it is. It consists of some light synths, is driven by acoustic guitar, and has an electric guitar here and there. It's very stripped down, yet happy, and might have sounded similar to what Coldplay were envisioning for the "acoustic" LP5 that (for the most part) we never heard.

Can't see why so many people dislike this song. Sure, it's very electronic and poppy, but it's also rather melancholic if you think about it. I know some would say in response that the production overpowers it, but I'm still surprised that I see such a widespread distaste for it...

Oh well, we all have our opinions :)

• Like 5

Can't see why so many people dislike this song. Sure, it's very electronic and poppy, but it's also rather melancholic if you think about it. I know some would say in response that the production overpowers it, but I'm still surprised that I see such a widespread distaste for it...

imo it has a great instrumental (i mean, i like it with the vocals, too)

• Like 1

I agree I really like this song too :) reminds me of my uni food court though ever since I heard it there lol

• Like 1

Note about my post: (Spoiler because it's rather long)

Then again, I have a very broad musical taste. There's only a genre or two that I actively don't really like and I can like and see an upside to just about any song out there. For me honestly, it doesn't really matter how mainstream or silly a song sounds, if it sounds good I'll like it (and this typically involves having a strong melody of some sort, and having an emotional edge, whether it be happy, sad, slightly so in each direction, angry, etc. This is why I don't care for a lot of today's mainstream electropop because that type of music doesn't have that edge anymore, it isn't really energetic, and it only focuses on catchiness alone. I like Coldplay still because despite their recent pop twist, they retained their melodic side and emotional side. This holds true for even their latest album, but for me they hit their sweet spot with Mylo Xyloto because for most songs, there were massive soaring choruses with lots of layers, which for me is what makes a fantastic upbeat pop rock song, and any pop song in general really, and for all songs it was the right blend of pop and rock for me. (Then again, some are poppier than others...) Not to mention, once again every song had an emotional edge to it.)

Anyway back to what I was talking about before, even though I do like pop music I'll always appreciate more unique music more because for one it sounds new and fresh, and I don't really know what to expect at first, and secondly I can appreciate the artist a lot more for taking the time to make this, since it is a lot more involved than making a simple pop song. Even if I might like a certain pop song more than a certain song that's more unique and diverse in nature, I'll always respect the latter more because I can hear the hard work put into it. Also, if I like a pop song but it is really bland and generic I'll admit that. Best example? The Chainsmokers. I like them and I like their music, but I will admit that they are in no way, shape, or form unique, creative, or artistic. I like them because IMO they're really catchy, they come up with great melodies, their music is danceable, and has enough of that happy edge that it's more than simple catchiness they rely on. Do I expect real quality music from them in terms of diversity? Not a chance. But I think too often some of us don't realize that that's not what everyone strives for, and that's why we don't end up enjoying their music as much. Sure, pop music isn't for everyone, and I can see that. And we all have our different tastes. All I'm saying is that sometimes not trying to be too out there can be just fine. No, it won't spark a musical revolution, but it can still be enjoyable music if it's purpose isn't mistaken.

Note about my post: (Spoiler because it's rather long)

Then again, I have a very broad musical taste. There's only a genre or two that I actively don't really like and I can like and see an upside to just about any song out there. For me honestly, it doesn't really matter how mainstream or silly a song sounds, if it sounds good I'll like it (and this typically involves having a strong melody of some sort, and having an emotional edge, whether it be happy, sad, slightly so in each direction, angry, etc. This is why I don't care for a lot of today's mainstream electropop because that type of music doesn't have that edge anymore, it isn't really energetic, and it only focuses on catchiness alone. I like Coldplay still because despite their recent pop twist, they retained their melodic side and emotional side. This holds true for even their latest album, but for me they hit their sweet spot with Mylo Xyloto because for most songs, there were massive soaring choruses with lots of layers, which for me is what makes a fantastic upbeat pop rock song, and any pop song in general really, and for all songs it was the right blend of pop and rock for me. (Then again, some are poppier than others...) Not to mention, once again every song had an emotional edge to it.)

Anyway back to what I was talking about before, even though I do like pop music I'll always appreciate more unique music more because for one it sounds new and fresh, and I don't really know what to expect at first, and secondly I can appreciate the artist a lot more for taking the time to make this, since it is a lot more involved than making a simple pop song. Even if I might like a certain pop song more than a certain song that's more unique and diverse in nature, I'll always respect the latter more because I can hear the hard work put into it. Also, if I like a pop song but it is really bland and generic I'll admit that. Best example? The Chainsmokers. I like them and I like their music, but I will admit that they are in no way, shape, or form unique, creative, or artistic. I like them because IMO they're really catchy, they come up with great melodies, their music is danceable, and has enough of that happy edge that it's more than simple catchiness they rely on. Do I expect real quality music from them in terms of diversity? Not a chance. But I think too often some of us don't realize that that's not what everyone strives for, and that's why we don't end up enjoying their music as much. Sure, pop music isn't for everyone, and I can see that. And we all have our different tastes. All I'm saying is that sometimes not trying to be too out there can be just fine. No, it won't spark a musical revolution, but it can still be enjoyable music if it's purpose isn't mistaken.

I can see truth in this but this triggers me, it feels like bland pop music like you are talking about at the end is just taking up space, just being filler for people to like for a month and then wait for the next pop song which sounds the same as the last. Although in saying this I guess there is a purpose for this kind of music too... I think I've found that I am the same though, that if the artist has tried to genuinely convey some kind of emotion, feeling, turmoil, story, just something real, I'll more than likely like the song. Back to coldplay, I agree in coldplay's latest album there is still that emotion to it, even if the sound is more pop and the lyrics a bit more washy? The core emotion and feeling is still there and you can still feel it. Songs that I have been listening to hmmm, I hope I haven't posted this guy before but his music is pretty cool.

• Like 1

I can see truth in this but this triggers me, it feels like bland pop music like you are talking about at the end is just taking up space, just being filler for people to like for a month and then wait for the next pop song which sounds the same as the last. Although in saying this I guess there is a purpose for this kind of music too... I think I've found that I am the same though, that if the artist has tried to genuinely convey some kind of emotion, feeling, turmoil, story, just something real, I'll more than likely like the song. Back to coldplay, I agree in coldplay's latest album there is still that emotion to it, even if the sound is more pop and the lyrics a bit more washy? The core emotion and feeling is still there and you can still feel it. Songs that I have been listening to hmmm, I hope I haven't posted this guy before but his music is pretty cool.

I do agree with what you're saying. It's especially true with modern day pop music, and since around the latter half of 2015 or so there's always been a lot of songs that just sound exactly the same, with the same beat, same synths, etc... No originality, really. I feel like right around 2012 was the last year of really good pop music. Lots of melodic, energetic EDM (not like what's popular today, which is just a slightly more energetic version of pop, and even sometimes dips into hip hop), and really melodic pop music. After that, everything started slowly converging into the electropop style that is far too overplayed and well-known today. The industry has found the perfect sound to please people listening to mainstream music, and for the time being that's what will be popular. We need a new Nirvana or something to completely revolutionize what's popular once again. because all that's popular is this style of music. Back before 2010 you had a variety of songs to listen to, such as rock, normal pop, electropop, hip hop, EDM, R&B, etc... and much more. Now it seems like everything made is a slight variation of electropop music. And the problem is, since 2012 songs have gotten progressively less melody-based and focusing more on harsher electronic sounds placed in a way to make catchiness the appealing point. Not that there's anything wrong with a song being catchy, because that's great, but if that's the only thing a song relies on to attempt to make it appealing that won't work for me, and that's why I don't care so much for pop music as it is today. Also, I've noticed that there's a lot more space in pop music now, making use of short sounds. I feel like that's a way to take away energy from a song to make it more appealing to today's mainstream tastes. Songs with sustained noises like Coldplay still are what I enjoy. I don't mind space in a song but when it's all chopped up and clearly electronically processed I like a song less. I also like more refined electronic noises better than the harshness of what's popular now.

Anyway I've gone way off topic and you get my point. I still do think pop music has it's purpose, and some of us are mistaking it, but you're right in the sense of today's pop music. I don't feel like it was that way a few years back now. And even the songs like "Party Rock Anthem" (one of my guilty pleasures) which are obviously not creative or artistic at all have their time and place. I feel like the deeper a song gets, the less I'll listen to it because I like to reserve it for more and more special occasions. I still prefer the "normal" alt rock the best though, and I'm glad listening to other songs on a regular basis., even if I do like deeper songs more.

EDIT: I just realised this is the "I am currently listening to" thread...

• Like 2

These days I'm listening to WALLS, the last album of Kings of Leon. That's because I'm seeing them in concert next weekend and I'm really excited about it. You should listen to this album, it's really great... but their best album for me will always be Only By The Night.

PD: I really love Princess of China and I don't understand either why people hate it so much. It moves me and it's one of my favourite songs from MX. Totally agree with you @cp3176 in this topic and in your point of view about new pop music. Back to 2012 pop music was so much better.

• Like 1

These days I'm listening to WALLS, the last album of Kings of Leon. That's because I'm seeing them in concert next weekend and I'm really excited about it. You should listen to this album, it's really great... but their best album for me will always be Only By The Night.

PD: I really love Princess of China and I don't understand either why people hate it so much. It moves me and it's one of my favourite songs from MX. Totally agree with you @cp3176 in this topic and in your point of view about new pop music. Back to 2012 pop music was so much better.

Wait, does that mean this is their final album? Or it's just their most recent?

It would be a shame if they're not making any more music because they're fantastic. Haven't heard much of their music, only 2 songs but I'm assuming they're great. Gonna check them out sometime soon.

And, I know right?!! Blows my mind how most pop music started to sound generic and bland in a few short years... And now it all sounds the same.

• Like 1

I listen to......Every teardrop is a waterfall.......love the song so much,https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBk0MmU6Wdk and the drumming from Will Champion,and the end is fantastic with firework ....men,thes guys are so so special and make me happy

• Like 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3aFqf1tMaM

Mobile Link: https://youtu.be/g3aFqf1tMaM

I was there (Brussels Belgium) and can't forget it,every day I listen to Coldplay. These men are so special and I don't now what happening to me,they make me so happy,emotional and with some songs I got tears in my eyes...but... tears from happiness. That is also the reason why I make all the instruments in miniature and the shirt from Chris Martin is also gonna made,just the same,the purple one ,im getting crazy I think,but who cares,nothing is wrong to be crazy and love Coldplay.

• Like 4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3aFqf1tMaM

Mobile Link: https://youtu.be/g3aFqf1tMaM

I was there (Brussels Belgium) and can't forget it,every day I listen to Coldplay. These men are so special and I don't now what happening to me,they make me so happy,emotional and with some songs I got tears in my eyes...but... tears from happiness. That is also the reason why I make all the instruments in miniature and the shirt from Chris Martin is also gonna made,just the same,the purple one ,im getting crazy I think,but who cares,nothing is wrong to be crazy and love Coldplay.

I think I know how you feel. After seeing them on live I also became kinda crazy haha but in a good way. Thought about that concert every single day. It was something I couldn't explain, a strange feeling... that one was supposed to be only another music concert of a band I like. Think I wasn't prepared enough to live something like that. But then I went to that amazing show and suddenly I felt really connected to the band, to what they do, to how they prepare their concerts, to all their music... I had always been a huge fan, but that magic night definitely changed my point of view. Since then I still dream of seeing them again. Don't know when I can make it, but I'm sure it will be so much more special to me because next time I will be ready haha :)

Sorry for being so emotional... can't help it!! :D

• Like 4

I think I know how you feel. After seeing them on live I also became kinda crazy haha but in a good way. Thought about that concert every single day. It was something I couldn't explain, a strange feeling... that one was supposed to be only another music concert of a band I like. Think I wasn't prepared enough to live something like that. But then I went to that amazing show and suddenly I felt really connected to the band, to what they do, to how they prepare their concerts, to all their music... I had always been a huge fan, but that magic night definitely changed my point of view. Since then I still dream of seeing them again. Don't know when I can make it, but I'm sure it will be so much more special to me because next time I will be ready haha :)

Sorry for being so emotional... can't help it!! :D

Yes,there you say it about the feelings,there is so much going on in my head ,they are so special,it's just like they are people like us,and bringing big messages in there songs,always smile,laughing,they will be connect with the people,that's the way I feel it..and they singing with joy and happines. I don't find the correct words. No sorry for the emotions,I am also emotional if I talk about the band,they are never going be out of my head.never ;) Tha concerts they do,it's like bringing everybody together ,no hate..but .LOVE .wish I could them seen every day but it's possible and we must go on with our life,but they make it easier.

• Like 2

What can I say? What an awesome track, still listening to it non-stop. The band nails it again, the lyrics fit my life perfectly and it seems as if the song is talking to me. The instrumental is so different (in a good way) and Chris' voice just makes me shiver. This track proves again, what a lovable band Coldplay is :heart_eyes:

• Like 1

yes,it's a very special song and like you say..the instrumental is absolute different,,but it can not be the same,time to change,but love this song and very very strong lyrics ,this is a special band ,wit special messages to the world .

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm currently listening to the new HAIM songs that just came out. Not sure what to think of them yet... some of them seem pretty nice. I suppose I'll have to them listen multiple times to get a taste of which ones I really like...

Also listening to the album For The Night To Control by Electric Century. Mainly found it because Mikey Way is in the band (former bassist of one of my favourite bands, My Chemical Romance). It's really not the type of music I normally listen too but I fell asleep to it the other day and it was pretty nice (as far as I remember :D:sleeping:).

• Like 2