✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

U2

Thanks Rishi for posting these pictures.

Was that the plane Coldplay loaned when the VIVA JET didn't function, but had to be repaired? It looks really awesome. I remember reading that the threesixty Air - jet was more luxurious than the VIVA JET.

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks Rishi for posting these pictures.

Was that the plane Coldplay loaned when the VIVA JET didn't function, but had to be repaired? It looks really awesome. I remember reading that the threesixty Air - jet was more luxurious than the VIVA JET.

Yes, this actually happened in July 2009 when U2 was playing in Dublin for 4 days, the Viva jet had some maintenance issues and U2 lent it to Coldplay because they had several shows pending.

Chris was noticed saying that the interior of the jet is absolutely luxurious, with comfy sofas and recliners, LCD TV's, a bar, and fine catering. It's remarkable also to see that U2 lent the jet to Coldplay free of charge, it shows a strong friendship bond between both parties over the years.

What great to pamper yourself for a 3 hour flight! :charming:

Thought I'd post this in the U2 section. Most of you probably know about it already.

Damien Rice, Glen Hansard and a few others were busking for charity on Christmas Eve. Grafton Street, Dublin, Ireland.

Bono joined them for a few songs. Makes me wish I was there. :freak:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WjB1M51PplA]YouTube- Simon Xmas Busk Dublin feat Bono, Glen Hansard, Damien Rice, Mundy and more[/ame]

Enjoy!

30 YEARS WITH U2

As I wrote a few days ago: Broadcast on Sunday 10/1 from SVT1 = Swedish Television, Channel 1 at 22.15 to 23.05: 30 years with U2.

"Since 1978 U2 has been popular on BBC's music stage. In this broadcast the world-famous rock group performs 13 melodies from 30 years of U2. Among the selected melodies are "No Line on the Horizon" from 2009, "Stuck in a Moment" from 2001, "ONE" from 1992 and "New Years Day" from 1983."

Now I have seen the broadcast and it was really good going through the U2 history.

1) U2 on the BBC balcony performing "BOOTS" from 2009

2) U2 live performance from 1981 of a song with the title: "Call Out"

3) "I will follow" from 1980 (Boy)

4) "New Years Day" from around 1983 (War)

5) "2 Hearts beat as One"

6) "Exit" (performed at the BBC, 1987)

7) "In God's Country" (performed at the BBC, 1987)

8) "ONE" from 1991/1992 ( Q Magazine: Greatest song of ALL TIME ) :)

9) "Beautiful day" (UK-1) from All that you can't leave behind, 2000 (4 hitsingles)

10) "Stuck in a moment you can't get out of" (at Top of the Pops, no. 2)

11) "Vertigo" from How to Dismantle an atomic bomb from 2004

12) "Sometimes You can't make it on your own" from 2005

13) "No Line on the Horizon" (title track, 2009) from Dublin Studio

I had never before heard no. 2, 3, 4, 6 or 7. Very good all these songs.

The Edge says U2 has recorded a new song as part of a Haiti charity project being organized by Jay-Z and Swizz Beatz. The comments aired on today's Dave Fanning radio show on 2FM, after a conversation Friday at Edge's house. Edge explains how the song came about:

"Last night we wrote a song ... Bono got a call from a producer, Swizz. He and Jay-Z wanted to do something for Haiti. So, Bono came up with the phrase on the phone, and last night we were here, we wrote a song -- finished, recorded, and send it back to them. So, that might be the next thing you hear from us!"

What's not certain is when the next proper U2 album will be out. Fanning asked Edge what direction U2 will go in this year -- more ambient material from Fez? Rick Rubin material? Spider-Man material? Or will there be no album in 2010 and instead wait until 2011? Edge replies: "We're asking ourselves exactly the same questions. We don't really know yet. We're working on material here, and it's sounding amazing, but we're far from being certain about what we're gonna do with it."

You can listen online via this page on 2FM. Click "Listen Back" at the top and make sure it says "Jan. 16 2010." The Edge segment starts at 71:15, but he doesn't speak until about the 75:00 mark (after "Stand Up Comedy"). They're mostly talking about It Might Get Loud, and the whole segment runs about 40 minutes. It ends with Fanning playing "Winter," U2's song that's up for a Golden Globe Award on Sunday.

Edge and Fanning also spoke a bit about U2's 2010 tour plans and the Glastonbury appearance. You can read about that on our sister site, U2tours.com.

http://www.atu2.com/news/u2-records-new-song-for-haiti.html

Thought I'd post this in the U2 section. Most of you probably know about it already.

Damien Rice, Glen Hansard and a few others were busking for charity on Christmas Eve. Grafton Street, Dublin, Ireland.

Bono joined them for a few songs. Makes me wish I was there. :freak:

Enjoy!

I just found out about this :stunned:

Bono+Damien+Glen :bomb:

That is one of the reasons I love Dublin, you go out, have a stroll in Grafton Street and see such things...I'm missing this city so much :bigcry:

STRANDED (Haiti Mon Amour) no. 1 on i-Tunes acc. to this article

UPDATES OF THE SITUATION IN HAITI ON 25 JANUARY 2010

ALL-STAR HAITI TELETHON RAISES $57 MILLION, SO FAR

(01/24/2010 | 08:50 AM - GMA News.TV)

NEW YORK – Organizers for the all-star "Hope for Haiti Now" telethon say the event raised $57 million — and counting.

"The public has set a new standard of giving for a relief telethon with 'Hope for Haiti Now,' and the donations continue to come in," Lisa Paulsen, president and CEO of the Entertainment Industry Foundation, said in a statement released Saturday. The group is helping to oversee the funds gathered from the event.

The two-hour telethon aired Friday night on the major networks and dozens of other channels, including MTV, Bravo, and PBS, and was also streamed live online. Stars like Brad Pitt, Beyonce, Madonna, Bruce Springsteen and more used their presence to encourage donations for Haiti, following a Jan. 12 earthquake that killed an estimated 200,000 people.

The total released Saturday includes money raised by phone, text and the Web. It does not include donations by corporations or via iTunes, where people are able to buy performances of the event for 99 cents each, or the entire album for $7.99. Those funds also go to Haiti relief.

The "Hope for Haiti Now" CD is the biggest one-day pre-order in the site's history and the new song "Stranded (Haiti Mon Amour)" by Jay-Z, Rihanna, Bono and the Edge, debuted during the telethon, is the No. 1 single on iTunes.

People can donate via text, phone or through the "Hope for Haiti" Web site for the next six months. Among the organizations who will receive funds from the telethon include OXFAM America, UNICEF, and the Clinton-Bush Haiti Foundation.

- AP

As much as I really like U2 and BONO I must say that I was somewhat disappointed when hearing this new song because I did not find it so catchy. But it counts that this song is NEW and FOR CHARITY and that some of today's GREATEST / MOST POPULAR ARTISTS perform this song. And I was also disappointed because I could barely hear BONO sing!

But it goes without saying that I am pleased that this SONG FOR CHARITY sells very well.

How "Stranded" was made

U2 news from U2.com - 22 January, 2010

'Not Gonna Leave You Stranded...'

Jay-Z, Bono, The Edge and Rihanna debuted 'Stranded' in London tonight, one of the highlights of a powerful two-hour global telethon raising funds for the people of Haiti.

Speaking to a global audience of tens of millions, George Clooney, the prime mover behind 'Hope for Haiti Now' described the earthquake that hit the Carribean island on January 12 as 'a tragedy that reaches across all borders, all boundaries...the Haitian people need our help. They need to know they are not alone.'

A stellar cast of musicians and actors, performing in three locations, included Madonna, Beyonce, Bruce Springsteen, Coldplay and Jennifer Hudson. In London, Jay-Z, Bono, The Edge and Rihanna performed 'Stranded (Haiti Mon Amour)' a song written and produced within the last week.

22 January, 2010

'Stranded (Haiti Mon Amour)' raising funds for Haiti

Jay-Z, Bono, Edge and Rihanna have recorded a track called 'Stranded (Haiti Mon Amour)' to raise funds for earthquake relief in Haiti.

Produced by Swizz Beatz and Declan Gaffney, 'Stranded (Haiti Mon Amour)' will be performed live tonight from London by Jay-Z, Rihanna, Bono and Edge as part of the 'Hope For Haiti Now' global telethon, produced by George Clooney, Wyclef

Jean and MTV Networks.

'Sitting in the studio and watching Haiti hurting, I knew immediately I had to do something,' said Swizz Beatz. 'I reached out to my friends Bono and Jay-Z and asked for their help. Jay and Rihanna sent their vocals and that same night Bono and I went into the studio.' Swizz Beatz added, 'It's important we as a global community all come together to help. Haiti needs us right now.'

The track will be available through iTunes this evening as part of a special package from the 'Hope For Haiti Now' telethon airing at 8pm ET/PT. The relief organizations that will benefit from the telethon and special album are Partners in Health, Oxfam America, the Red Cross, UNICEF, Yele Haiti Foundation, United Nations World Food Program and the Clinton Bush Haiti Fund. Proceeds from Hope for Haiti Now will be split among each organization's individual funds for Haiti earthquake relief.

22 January, 2010

'Stranded'

'So me and Bono started going back and forth with ideas, and he was like, 'You know this word 'stranded' keeps standing out to me.' Producer Swizz on how 'Stranded' came together.

Less than a week ago, producer Swizz Beatz texted Jay-Z and Bono with the idea of collaborating together to benefit the people of Haiti. Tonight, at the Hope For Haiti Now global telethon, the track they wrote makes its debut.

Swizz Beatz tells Rolling Stone how it came together:

'The idea of the song is 'We're not gonna leave you stranded' and that's what the chorus is,' explains Swizz. 'So me and Bono started going back and forth with ideas, and he was like, 'You know this word 'stranded' keeps standing out to me' and I asked him to sing it, and he put me on hold 'cause he's recording the ideas on a Dictaphone - so he did it there and then on the phone.'

'I knew that Jay would be able to tell a story, and that Bono would be able to sing and bring it home. The last component that I added was Rihanna, and she's kinda like the angel that's on the track, softening it up and giving it that caring feeling, because this hook is so powerful.'

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdaily/index.php/2010/01/21/inside-the-recording-of-bono-and-jay-zs-haiti-single-stranded/

Inside the Recording of Bono and Jay-Z’s Haiti Single “Stranded”

1/21/10, 3:51 pm EST

Bono wrote the hook for “Stranded” — his new Haiti benefit single with Jay-Z and Rihanna, which is subtitled either “Haiti Mon Amour” or “Haiti Mi Amore” — while on the phone with producer Swizz Beatz. [/color]“The idea of the song is ‘We’re not gonna leave you stranded’ and that’s what the chorus is,” Swizz Beatz tells Rolling Stone. “So me and Bono started going back and forth with ideas, and he was like, ‘You know this word stranded keeps standing out to me’ and I asked him to sing it, and he put me on hold ’cause he’s recording the ideas on a Dictaphone — so he did it there and then on the phone.”

Swizz Beatz got the song started by sending simultaneous texts to Jay-Z and Bono — but when they both called, he accidentally hung up on Jay while trying to conference them. After three hours of phone tag, they all agreed to the project, which came together in geographically scattered sessions, with extra production work by the Edge. I knew that Jay would be able to tell a story, and that Bono would be able to sing and bring it home. The last component that I added was Rihanna, and she’s kinda like the angel that’s on the track, softening it up and giving it that caring feeling, because this hook is so powerful.”

The song will debut with a live performance on Friday night’s multi-network telethon for Haiti, and will soon be released as a single on iTunes, according to Swizz Beatz.

22 January, 2010

Zurich, 2010

Just received news that the 360° Tour will stop in Zurich, this September. Presales for our subscribers begin early next week.

20 January, 2010

'Wrote a song...'

Edge and Bono have collaborated with Jay-Z and producer Swizz on a song for Haiti.

20 January, 2010

Hope For Haiti Now

Edge and Bono join a star-studded line-up this Friday for 'Hope for Haiti Now:A Global Benefit for Earthquake Relief. Pre-order the album now.

Listened to Swedish weekly top 30 countdown of sale and downloads:

29 Justin Timberlake: Hallelujah

27 Beyonce accompanied by Chris playing the piano on HALO (new entry)

03 Jay-Z, BONO, the Edge and Rihanna: Stranded (Haiti, mon amour) (new entry)