✨ STAY UP TO DATE WITH THE WORLD TOUR ✨

U2

• Replies 7.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest howyousawtheworld
Hey guys I haven't listened to anything after Achtung Baby. Which album would you recommend I check out from the newish U2 stuff?

Difficult question! No Line On The Horizon took me a few listens though to realise how brilliant it is. Probably the best album since Achtung Baby. Pop I feel is a little gem, and All That You Can't Leave Behind and How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb are quite mainstream. However have you listened to Zooropa? It's like Achtung Baby - but sober.

What I'm saying is listen to them all!

Anyhow, does anyone have a favourite U2 performance they'd like to share? For me it's this one. Running To Stand Still (strangely the guy cut out Bono's harmonica piece?) and Where The Streets Have No Name from Zoo TV live in Sydney. Awesome, and the bridge between the two songs is fucking spine tingling! Particularly the moment Edge's guitar kicks in at the beginning of Streets!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NatIg7Pokyk]YouTube- U2 - Running To Stand Still & Where The Streets Have No Name (Zoo TV Live From Sydney)[/ame]

Difficult question! No Line On The Horizon took me a few listens though to realise how brilliant it is. Probably the best album since Achtung Baby. Pop I feel is a little gem, and All That You Can't Leave Behind and How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb are quite mainstream. However have you listened to Zooropa? It's like Achtung Baby - but sober.

What I'm saying is listen to them all!

Anyhow, does anyone have a favourite U2 performance they'd like to share? For me it's this one. Running To Stand Still (strangely the guy cut out Bono's harmonica piece?) and Where The Streets Have No Name from Zoo TV live in Sydney. Awesome, and the bridge between the two songs is fucking spine tingling! Particularly the moment Edge's guitar kicks in at the beginning of Streets!

my fave is U2 performing I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For with Bruce 'The Boss' Springsteen at the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame! :D

(despite how dodgy looking Bono's hair was looking then :P)

[ame=

]
[/ame]

i loved No Line On The Horizon on first listen...especially the title track. but i didn't really get into How To Dismantle An Atomic Bomb...still haven't really. so i guess i'm the other way round of you...hah

^ That's one of my favorite videos also. The Boss is so hardcore in there, that was back in 2005 when they were inducted to the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. They also played Until the End of The World and Bono hugged Catherine Zeta-Jones! :bomb:

Guest howyousawtheworld

http://music.uk.msn.com/photos/photos.aspx?cp-documentid=151054229&page=1

U2's Pop has been included amongst 12 biggest album flops. Bit harsh considering they forgot the obvious ones like Robbie Williams's Rudebox. MSN comment that after Pop U2 went back into duller, more mainstream territory which if they knew anything cannot be applied to No Line On The Horizon. I think if U2 made another album like Pop, they would have been in serious danger of slipping outside the public eye altogether as Zooropa and Pop were by no means mainstream albums, albeit very good ones, especially Zooropa. I think a lot of people were pleanantly surprised when they heard Beautiful Day for the first time and thought 'wow, U2 are back!'

Today in VH1, Denmark's programme "Superstar" they had chosen one hour of U2, and they played:

Walk On (All that you can't leave behind from 2000) - released nov. 2001

Stuck in a moment you can't get out of (All that you can't leave behind from 2000) - released January 2001

New Year's Day - released January 1983

ONE (Achtung Baby from 1992) - written 1990 on the eve of the German Reunification, released March '92

Sunday, Bloody Sunday (War from 1983) - released March 1983

Magnificent (No Line on the Horizon from 2009)

Even Better than the Real Thing (Achtung Baby from 1992)

Sweetest Thing from 1998 - released October 1998

Beautiful Day (All that you can't leave behind from 2000) - released October 2000

I'll Go Crazy (if I don't go crazy tonight) from No Line on the Horizon, 2009

Pride (in the Name of Love) from 1984 - released September 1984

Get on your boots (No Line on the Horizon from 2009)

All Because of You (How to Dismantle an Atomic Bomb from 2005)

The Saints Are Coming (feat. Green Day) from 2006 - released October 2006

Many good U2 songs there, but also some very good ones missing like:

I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For (released May 1987)

With Or Without You (released March 1987)

Vertigo from 2004 (released november 2004)

Where the Streets Have No Name (released August 1987)

Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own from 2005 (released February 2005)

Guest howyousawtheworld
Today in VH1, Denmark's programme "Superstar" they had chosen one hour of U2, and they played:

Stuck in a moment you can't get out of (All that you can't leave behind from 2000) - released January 2001

ONE (Achtung Baby from 1992) - written 1990 on the eve of the German Reunification, released March '92

Beautiful Day (All that you can't leave behind from 2000) - released October 2000

The Saints Are Coming? :thumbsdown:

The less said about U2's collaboration with Green Day the better.

in other words, they missed out playing anything from Joshua Tree...tsk. :inquisitive:

Guest howyousawtheworld
In what way did you not like that collaboration? Maybe you do not like Green Day at all?

Well I thought it was just a bunch of mumbo jumbo and yes, Green Day are a terrible band so I hated it for that reason as well!

Guest howyousawtheworld
No Line on the Horizon is definitley the best album of '09, by far.

But honestly, besides that album, this year wasn't very good for music. At all. :confused:

You can say that again. Poor year to end this very good decade of music. Best year was 2005. X&Y, Don't Believe The Truth, Demon Days etc came out that year.

No Line on the Horizon is definitley the best album of '09, by far.

But honestly, besides that album, this year wasn't very good for music. At all. :confused:

I fully agree.

If you wanna vote for BONO as Rockstar of the decade: There is a direct link here (copied from the relevant thread):

http://www.nme.com/rate/rockstarsoft...last/18/rate/1

I just voted for him twice with an interval of 5 minutes (he wasn't in top 20 at my first vote with rating 10). After my second vote with rating 10 he was in position 18 with rating 4.00 . PLEASE VOTE for him over and over again.

If you wanna vote for Chris Martin as Rockstar of the decade (with rating 10): There is a direct link here (copied from the relevant thread):

Vote for him here: http://www.nme.com/rate/rockstarsofthedecade/13

When I voted for Chris 5 minutes ago with rating 10, he was no. 3 with 7.08. PLEASE VOTE for him over and over again.

VOTE at least one time per day in the future weeks.

U2 are nominated in the International Duo or Band of the Year category in the annual NRJ Awards. The competition includes Greenday, Tokio Hotel, The Black Eyed Peas, Jay-Z and Alicia Keys.

There is a link on U2's website (I tried - in vain - to copy it to post it here).

I just voted for BONO as ROCKSTAR of the decade. He is currently at no. 15 with an average rating of 3;89 and current rating of 3,92.

I also voted for Chris who is currently at no. 3 with an average rating of 7:12 and current rating of 7:07.

In the lead is still Billie Joe Armstrong of Green Day with current rating of 8:94.